Here is the link to the fall sports streaming schedule.

https://appstatesports.com/news/2023/8/ ... edule.aspx

Yosef Club 3100 members???

pop5app
School: Appalachian State

Re: Yosef Club 3100 members???

Unread post by pop5app » Mon Nov 15, 2021 8:16 am

pop5app wrote:
Mon Nov 15, 2021 7:18 am
1ASU78 wrote:
Sun Nov 14, 2021 9:41 pm
proasu89 wrote:
Sat Nov 13, 2021 9:37 pm
TheAppalachianState wrote:
Sat Nov 13, 2021 9:19 pm
I’d say marketing needs to improve and find better ways to get students/grads signed up. No one calls me or emails me to join Yosef Club... $50 isn’t much and I can do that. Someone get YC to identify all people associated with App via LinkedIn and FB and start pumping
I had a conversation with an athletic department member today about this. There seems to be no sense of urgency to grow the athletic fund from the bottom of the pyramid. They’re only so many whales in the App family but there’s about 110,000 regular fish who could possibly give 50 to a 100 annually.
I understand why we’re having this discussion. Seems most of us are YC at some level and realistically need more. But what’s the point of our conversation if the YC club itself goes top down recruiting/donations. Evidently they are satisfied with the current model of the inverted pyramid. How long can that work?
Great point! It has “worked” for 50 years. But it hasn’t worked well!! You are correct to question the whole operation. The real question is: are we happy with 50-60 member growth per year?
I could not agree more about using the college of business. Make it a annual course where students can get hands on experience! While we’re at it why not entice individual students, campus organization and the hospitality department (if we have one) to work home games in various areas. Give them academic credit and pay them too. Do it on a rotating basis. That might help with staffing shortages AND might show the academic folks that athletics can be useful and reduce the “we /they” attitude.

appatlkn

Unread post by appatlkn » Mon Nov 15, 2021 8:31 am

Below is a comment I made on a FB post at App State Sports about a week ago concerning Yosef membership numbers. The lack of a return call I originally mentioned is still true today. I made two more calls last Tuesday, and left a message with each call, in direct response to a reply on that post and have yet to hear back. While I admit my donation level is not substantial, the lack of response does not sit well for future donations or increasing my donation level.

I get that people are busy and understaffing is possibly an issue at Yosef that causes things to fall behind, but I think it should be a priority to return a call within a day or two, especially when someone says I want to give you money; or for most any other reason.

One issue I personally had twice (once last season and again last month) that I feel would turn away potential members...I called Yosef office both times. No answer either time. Left a message each time; most recently Oct. 22, specifically stating I would like to join and I have a couple of questions. I left my name and number. As of today, I have not received a return call. I went ahead and joined via website, but feel that by now I should have had a return call. I have called back a couple of times (during business hours) since then but I only get the voicemail. If this has happened to others, then it might be an avenue that Yosef needs to address.

Rekdiver

Unread post by Rekdiver » Mon Nov 15, 2021 9:10 am

$50 ought to get you a TIGMA t-shirt.... Call it the The Rock level

AppSt94

Unread post by AppSt94 » Mon Nov 15, 2021 9:22 am

pop5app wrote:
Mon Nov 15, 2021 8:16 am
pop5app wrote:
1ASU78 wrote:
proasu89 wrote:
I’d say marketing needs to improve and find better ways to get students/grads signed up. No one calls me or emails me to join Yosef Club... $50 isn’t much and I can do that. Someone get YC to identify all people associated with App via LinkedIn and FB and start pumping
I had a conversation with an athletic department member today about this. There seems to be no sense of urgency to grow the athletic fund from the bottom of the pyramid. They’re only so many whales in the App family but there’s about 110,000 regular fish who could possibly give 50 to a 100 annually.
I understand why we’re having this discussion. Seems most of us are YC at some level and realistically need more. But what’s the point of our conversation if the YC club itself goes top down recruiting/donations. Evidently they are satisfied with the current model of the inverted pyramid. How long can that work?
Great point! It has “worked” for 50 years. But it hasn’t worked well!! You are correct to question the whole operation. The real question is: are we happy with 50-60 member growth per year?
I could not agree more about using the college of business. Make it a annual course where students can get hands on experience! While we’re at it why not entice individual students, campus organization and the hospitality department (if we have one) to work home games in various areas. Give them academic credit and pay them too. Do it on a rotating basis. That might help with staffing shortages AND might show the academic folks that athletics can be useful and reduce the “we /they” attitude.
The campus organizations have worked concession in the past. Wrestling used to do it when I was in school. Some have provided some great suggestions on how to improve concessions and foot traffic. I have to wonder if the Food Code standards these days makes some of these options obsolete. There are so many rules and regulations these days on food safety that it makes it difficult to streamline things.

1ASU78

Unread post by 1ASU78 » Mon Nov 15, 2021 9:37 am

pop5app wrote:
1ASU78 wrote:
proasu89 wrote:
Yep. This goes back to the “we don’t do it that way at Appalachian “ days. You’re right “worked” is a relative term here.

TheMoody1

Unread post by TheMoody1 » Mon Nov 15, 2021 9:49 am

There were some guys that looked like wrestlers selling hot dogs in the stands on Saturday.

appdaze

Unread post by appdaze » Mon Nov 15, 2021 8:05 pm

I know its a monday night but man what a skimpy crowd. The out of town alum just don't see a purpose for going to App BBall games. That needs to change by any means possible. If we can flood a stadium with 30k+ then we should be able to put 4k+ in the Holmes almost every game. Some YC perks could be wrapped up in game attendance. If you are in $X tier you get ___ gift for attending X number of basketball games. Attendance perks would be great.

BambooRdApp

Unread post by BambooRdApp » Mon Nov 15, 2021 9:27 pm

They are playing Peace. What do you expect.
They just became co-ed in 2012. I am sure we schedule the best we can for home games. Back in the day, 10 guys playing during the summer at The Quinn could give as good of a run...and we expect a crowd fur a glorified scrimmage. Sorry, being a realist here.
Today I Give My All For Appalachian State!!
#FreeMillerHillForMoMoney!!
#SleeveStripesWereTheBomb!!
#99ForPresident!!

appgrad95&97

Unread post by appgrad95&97 » Tue Nov 16, 2021 6:54 am

Rekdiver wrote:
Mon Nov 15, 2021 9:10 am
$50 ought to get you a TIGMA t-shirt.... Call it the The Rock level
What's wrong with the current "friends of yosef" level?

huskie3

Unread post by huskie3 » Tue Nov 16, 2021 2:41 pm

Every time I check my status it says there are over 4,000 members.
Bring Your A Game!

pop5app

Unread post by pop5app » Tue Nov 16, 2021 7:46 pm

huskie3 wrote:
Tue Nov 16, 2021 2:41 pm
Every time I check my status it says there are over 4,000 members.
You may be correct but the point still remains; 4000 members over 51 years gives us an average per year growth of under 80- over 20,000 students, over 120,000 alumni. I’d say that company with those numbers went out of business.

LoyaltoAPP

Unread post by LoyaltoAPP » Tue Nov 16, 2021 11:37 pm

ncman071 wrote:
Sat Nov 13, 2021 7:46 pm
appdaze wrote:
Sat Nov 13, 2021 1:55 pm
The biggest problem has been living in the shadow of the ACC. I know App grads who give to UNC, NCSU, and ECU because they were fans before they came to App and as soon as they graduated the black and gold went back into the closet. The real issue is that we have not been able to ride the recent wave of success to boost YC as much as it could have been. I don't have any answers because I am not privy to the plans of the YC leadership. Beyond seeing the faults, its kinda hard to give great suggestions when we can't be in the planning meetings to see the issues that YC faces behind the scenes.
That makes me sick that anybody could go to our splendid university and go back to giving to these other schools.
One Perspective
I am a Yosef Club member. I also belong to the Rams Club for the sole purpose of supporting the UNC Women's Soccer team. I live in Chapel Hill and am closely tied to this non-revenue Olympic sport. I joined at the lowest Rams Club level. This enables me to have first access to any tickets available when App State comes to town (as they are 12/21 for BBall). Same with baseball, etc. i wear my black and gold when these teams play one another.

Also, I write a directed check to support App State women's soccer specifically. As a woman, it is important to me to elevate elite female talent wherever I can.
Loyal to APP 8-)

LoyaltoAPP

Unread post by LoyaltoAPP » Tue Nov 16, 2021 11:56 pm

1ASU78 wrote:
Mon Nov 15, 2021 9:37 am
pop5app wrote:
1ASU78 wrote:
proasu89 wrote:
Yep. This goes back to the “we don’t do it that way at Appalachian “ days. You’re right “worked” is a relative term here.
Great points all around. We are still in the dark ages of booster support. YC season ticket holders should be afforded the opportunity to select specific seats in advance of the season. The software they use already has this built in feature but they aren't using it. For example, I want to increase my FB season tickets from 2 to 4 next year but I am reluctant to do so because I don't know where the seat fairy is going to move us. I love where we sit. So, I am probably just going to purchase our same 2 seats. Why can't YC members select seats (in the order of points, levels, etc)? It makes no sense.

Also, the season ticket debacle in September was a big turn-off. YC basically stopped answering the phone. Customer service/alumni service should be be first on the list of MAF values.

Also, I hope that there is a planned roll-out for Conference Championship ticket access (once we beat Troy of course) for YC members. We are a traveling fan base and should have access to information so as to make travel arrangements (after we beat Troy of course) ASAP. Should we find ourselves in the Championship game - we need to put as many App State faithful in Lafayette as possible.

I could go on. Access to basic service-based amenities for YC members will entice the "up-sell." They just have to want to do it.
Loyal to APP 8-)

AppHoops

Unread post by AppHoops » Sun Nov 21, 2021 7:27 pm

AppSt94 wrote:
Sun Nov 14, 2021 10:28 am
appgrad95&97 wrote:
Sun Nov 14, 2021 7:49 am
I'm going to take some "poop" for saying this, but the biggest problem with growing the YC is that there's no real reason to join.

To get out in front of the comming storm, I've been a YC member constantly since 1998 and have given around 25k over those years.
I somewhat agree with you. I think the focus is three fold. 1) how do we get new members, 2) how to we cultivate and nurture the big donors, and 3) which is the biggest issue to me and more in line with your comment, how do we incentive current members to give more? I give and expect nothing in return, but there are a lot of people that need that carrot. So looking at the current giving levels, a donor at the $250 level gets pretty much the same benefits has a $1,000 donor. So where is the push to get more?

I sit in the NEZ and while leaving, I got to see how it could work. Susie had a table of App stuff for purchase. One of the items was the black coaches hat with the Mountaineers script. Was told that they wouldn’t be available in the store. Scooped one up. I think access to coaches apparel at certain levels is one way to increase giving. Maybe access to surplus sales prior to the public. Anyone have any ideas?
I jumped up from $100 to $250 this year since I'm making a little more and it was the next progression up. I have no idea what the difference in benefit is. The experience has been the exact same for me even with the higher donation.

WASU 93

Unread post by WASU 93 » Sun Nov 21, 2021 10:03 pm

AppSt94 wrote:
appgrad95&97 wrote:
I'm going to take some "poop" for saying this, but the biggest problem with growing the YC is that there's no real reason to join.

To get out in front of the comming storm, I've been a YC member constantly since 1998 and have given around 25k over those years.
I somewhat agree with you. I think the focus is three fold. 1) how do we get new members, 2) how to we cultivate and nurture the big donors, and 3) which is the biggest issue to me and more in line with your comment, how do we incentive current members to give more? I give and expect nothing in return, but there are a lot of people that need that carrot. So looking at the current giving levels, a donor at the $250 level gets pretty much the same benefits has a $1,000 donor. So where is the push to get more?

I sit in the NEZ and while leaving, I got to see how it could work. Susie had a table of App stuff for purchase. One of the items was the black coaches hat with the Mountaineers script. Was told that they wouldn’t be available in the store. Scooped one up. I think access to coaches apparel at certain levels is one way to increase giving. Maybe access to surplus sales prior to the public. Anyone have any ideas?
How about Yosef Club specific merchandise? Maybe it's an already available hat with an added "Yosef Club" embroidered on the side. A Yosef Club specific golf shirt. How about a Yosef Club yard sign, banner or flag that's displayed at the tailgate? And, add a sign-up table at both the East and West gates before and after games with some Swag if you sign up (and allow Venmo or similar payments)

AppSt94

Unread post by AppSt94 » Mon Nov 22, 2021 7:20 am

WASU 93 wrote:
Sun Nov 21, 2021 10:03 pm
AppSt94 wrote:
appgrad95&97 wrote:

How about Yosef Club specific merchandise? Maybe it's an already available hat with an added "Yosef Club" embroidered on the side. A Yosef Club specific golf shirt. How about a Yosef Club yard sign, banner or flag that's displayed at the tailgate? And, add a sign-up table at both the East and West gates before and after games with some Swag if you sign up (and allow Venmo or similar payments)
I like all of the above ideas and I feel like there should be a discussion. I would defer to the accountants on this page, but there may be some limitations due to the non profit status.

BambooRdApp

Unread post by BambooRdApp » Mon Nov 22, 2021 7:27 am

I am sure there are many on this forum that are connected to part of the athletics program that leads YC as I am not as I am only as a member of YC and NEZ holder. It would be great if someone summarized these ideas and sent to whomever leads YC and have a conversation to see how some of these things can happen and allowable, etc. In addition, maybe some on this board can help. I am more than open to putting in some time to help how I can from DC area.
Last edited by BambooRdApp on Mon Nov 22, 2021 8:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
Today I Give My All For Appalachian State!!
#FreeMillerHillForMoMoney!!
#SleeveStripesWereTheBomb!!
#99ForPresident!!

mike87

Unread post by mike87 » Mon Nov 22, 2021 8:17 am

Gerald Adams would have had us us up to 7500 by now. YC needs leadership and an ambassador like Gerald. I miss his regular phone calls to let us know what's happening up on the mountain and to insure our continued support.

ArmantiWaterSafety

Unread post by ArmantiWaterSafety » Mon Nov 22, 2021 1:35 pm

I support the team any way I can and that's why I'm a Yosef Club member, but I jumped up from Black & Gold to the Golden Mountaineer level and couldn't even get an email returned. There are literally no benefits to increase giving besides a better parking spot which isn't even guaranteed as I was given Legends parking this year (not that I'm still salty about it or anything).

It just doesn't seem like they are doing anything to 1) retain members and get them to increase their current giving and 2) attract new members. Of course every time this gets brought up it's always "they're doing the best they can with what they have" but if the bare minimum is the best we can do, something needs to be done. If we can raise millions upon millions of dollars for all of these enhancements, surely we can funnel a little bit of that money towards improving the systems that are causing headaches for seemingly everyone involved.

Rekdiver

Unread post by Rekdiver » Mon Nov 22, 2021 2:39 pm

Give aways are not the answer.....Just tell the truth, that our athletics are underfunded verses UNC State Wake ECU and say how much.... and that every contribution no matter how much is appreciated and needed.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Appalachian Football”