Here is the link to the fall sports streaming schedule.

https://appstatesports.com/news/2023/8/ ... edule.aspx

Yosef Club 3100 members???

appatlkn
School: Appalachian State

Re: Yosef Club 3100 members???

Unread post by appatlkn » Mon Nov 22, 2021 2:46 pm

ArmantiWaterSafety wrote:
Mon Nov 22, 2021 1:35 pm
I support the team any way I can and that's why I'm a Yosef Club member, but I jumped up from Black & Gold to the Golden Mountaineer level and couldn't even get an email returned. There are literally no benefits to increase giving besides a better parking spot which isn't even guaranteed as I was given Legends parking this year (not that I'm still salty about it or anything).

It just doesn't seem like they are doing anything to 1) retain members and get them to increase their current giving and 2) attract new members. Of course every time this gets brought up it's always "they're doing the best they can with what they have" but if the bare minimum is the best we can do, something needs to be done. If we can raise millions upon millions of dollars for all of these enhancements, surely we can funnel a little bit of that money towards improving the systems that are causing headaches for seemingly everyone involved.
I have the similar salty feelings as I'm still waiting on my phone calls to be returned. It has been a month ago today since I left the last message. I guess it's a lost cause to expect one now.

See for Yosef

Unread post by See for Yosef » Mon Nov 22, 2021 4:42 pm

I guess this might be a good spot for me to pitch in.

I'm about 5 years removed from when I went to school at App. Grew up with family that were fans of a larger school that is quite expensive to get tickets to games, and the minimum donation to have said season tickets for football. I joined the Yosef Club 3 years ago and I'm now at the $500 level and I get the Young Alumni match so that brings it up to $1,000. From my perspective, I appreciate the items that I get such as the stickers, magnets, etc. I think the Newsletter isn't necessary and I'd recommend that being axed. If they feel the need to send something, maybe a media guide for any sport that you have season tickets. Those are nice for me to read when I'm on the john and get good use.

Realistically I think that for younger people, App is in a good spot with a strong football program, affordability (most power 5 teams charge close to $100 face value per game), and a cool place to go back to once you are an adult. I have plenty of ideas of things that the Yosef Club could do to engage people since my father used to be a rep for a booster club for a larger school and I was able to go with him to different events for that growing up.

App91

Unread post by App91 » Mon Nov 22, 2021 5:56 pm

Frustrating I know, but it has been this way since i joined in 2005. Way more time spent on "whales" than grassroots growth. There is absolutely nothing that i can recall that mentions Yosef club in the general areas in the stadium. Why cannot there be a table or tent outside the gate for signing new members. Really anything at all would be better than it is.

pop5app

Unread post by pop5app » Mon Nov 22, 2021 6:25 pm

App91 wrote:
Mon Nov 22, 2021 5:56 pm
Frustrating I know, but it has been this way since i joined in 2005. Way more time spent on "whales" than grassroots growth. There is absolutely nothing that i can recall that mentions Yosef club in the general areas in the stadium. Why cannot there be a table or tent outside the gate for signing new members. Really anything at all would be better than it is.
You know, you hit the nail squarely on the head. The original post was pretty much: what ever we are doing and apparently have been doing for 50 years, ain’t working! We should try some other things.

97grad

Unread post by 97grad » Mon Nov 22, 2021 7:06 pm

Personally, I agree the newsletter is something I could do without. But overall, I think perks have to be on the table to increase the membership. The money spent on stickers, keychains, etc is not the cause of the funding issues, the membership numbers are.

AppSt94

Unread post by AppSt94 » Mon Nov 22, 2021 7:08 pm

97grad wrote:
Mon Nov 22, 2021 7:06 pm
Personally, I agree the newsletter is something I could do without. But overall, I think perks have to be on the table to increase the membership. The money spent on stickers, keychains, etc is not the cause of the funding issues, the membership numbers are.
Thoughts or ideas on what perks would be enticing?

97grad

Unread post by 97grad » Mon Nov 22, 2021 7:48 pm

AppSt94 wrote:
Mon Nov 22, 2021 7:08 pm
Not really; I was just pushing back on the notion that they're not needed. Mostly I want to see YC making a visible effort to recruit new members. Spend some money on it. If it costs $X to recruit a member at the $Y level where Y > X, that's a win.

AppSt94

Unread post by AppSt94 » Mon Nov 22, 2021 8:03 pm

97grad wrote:
Mon Nov 22, 2021 7:48 pm
AppSt94 wrote:
Mon Nov 22, 2021 7:08 pm
Not really; I was just pushing back on the notion that they're not needed. Mostly I want to see YC making a visible effort to recruit new members. Spend some money on it. If it costs $X to recruit a member at the $Y level where Y > X, that's a win.
Yep. I agree. There is a sect of potential members that need something tangible. I just don’t know what you can spend to make a $250 donation possible from a donor.

Rekdiver

Unread post by Rekdiver » Mon Nov 22, 2021 10:54 pm

If any of you have specifics on Yosef Club failing to return calls or emails pm mexwith specifics and I will compile and send to DG. He is aware of the issue

MAD Doctor

Unread post by MAD Doctor » Tue Nov 23, 2021 8:22 am

Just a few thoughts. Some people may be hesitant to join YC because of joining at a lower, more affordable level gives them an immediate feeling of 2nd or 3rd class membership and actually feels worse than not giving at all. Perhaps the mindset is “look at all the things I CAN’T do at this level”, as opposed to “what I CAN”.
I completely get how it works, and that it is how it works everywhere, but just think the marketing should be more encouraging and friendly to bring the $50-$150 range potential donors into the fold.
Next, I agree that a creative inexpensive gift would be better than a newsletter, which could easily be put online. I think one of the coolest things was to see the picture of the App jersey with my name on it on the season ticket packet a few years ago.
Lastly, $4 + an $8 a month auto deduction = a $100 annual donation. I’d think this might be more palatable to some potential first time donors than asking for a $100 donation at once. I know we have this option, but it needs to be promoted more.
We have a remarkable university and football program. We just need an effective campaign to communicate to everyone that YC membership, at ANY level = greater ownership of all things App State.

VNova

Unread post by VNova » Tue Nov 23, 2021 9:15 am

MAD Doctor wrote:
Tue Nov 23, 2021 8:22 am
Just a few thoughts. Some people may be hesitant to join YC because of joining at a lower, more affordable level gives them an immediate feeling of 2nd or 3rd class membership and actually feels worse than not giving at all. Perhaps the mindset is “look at all the things I CAN’T do at this level”, as opposed to “what I CAN”.
I completely get how it works, and that it is how it works everywhere, but just think the marketing should be more encouraging and friendly to bring the $50-$150 range potential donors into the fold.
Next, I agree that a creative inexpensive gift would be better than a newsletter, which could easily be put online. I think one of the coolest things was to see the picture of the App jersey with my name on it on the season ticket packet a few years ago.
Lastly, $4 + an $8 a month auto deduction = a $100 annual donation. I’d think this might be more palatable to some potential first time donors than asking for a $100 donation at once. I know we have this option, but it needs to be promoted more.
We have a remarkable university and football program. We just need an effective campaign to communicate to everyone that YC membership, at ANY level = greater ownership of all things App State.
They do have this option, it's just not advertised clearly until checkout. I used it when I was donating at a higher level and it worked really well.

pop5app

Unread post by pop5app » Tue Nov 23, 2021 9:48 am

I think we just had some form of “push” to get to the 4,000 level in membership. No one has even mentioned this?!?!? Do any of us know anything about it? AND, do any of us even know who the Yosef director is? I would venture a guess that the members of this board are the most passionate of the fan base and if we don’t know the answer to these 2 questions, there is a real problem! Maybe then we should look at visibility/communication for the first area of change!!!!

Appst86

Unread post by Appst86 » Tue Nov 23, 2021 10:02 am

pop5app wrote:
Tue Nov 23, 2021 9:48 am
I think we just had some form of “push” to get to the 4,000 level in membership. No one has even mentioned this?!?!? Do any of us know anything about it? AND, do any of us even know who the Yosef director is? I would venture a guess that the members of this board are the most passionate of the fan base and if we don’t know the answer to these 2 questions, there is a real problem! Maybe then we should look at visibility/communication for the first area of change!!!!
Doug Banks is the Associate Director of Athletics for Develpment.
https://mountaineersathleticfund.com/ab ... ff-contact

AppSt94

Unread post by AppSt94 » Tue Nov 23, 2021 10:10 am

brianowen wrote:
Tue Nov 23, 2021 10:02 am
pop5app wrote:
Also. mailto:mauneyss@appstate.edu
mailto:patek@appstate.edu

Rekdiver

Unread post by Rekdiver » Tue Nov 23, 2021 11:03 am

So far I’ve only gotten 1 response. If others have not gotten called or emails returned I really need them. Some specifics would be good

mike87

Unread post by mike87 » Tue Nov 23, 2021 11:04 am

So no one's in charge.

DaphneUrquhart

Unread post by DaphneUrquhart » Tue Nov 23, 2021 11:37 am

Each Yosef staff member has a different focus. It's important to address your calls / concerns to the right person. Here's the link to all of the Yosef staff.
Yosef Staff

Doug Banks is the main Yosef (annual giving) person. Suzette is in charge of the Leadership Society (major gifts).

As with many organizations, there are also executive level decision makers and those who carry out the decisions made at the executive level. If you want to get a quick answer to a question that doesn't need that executive level attention, your best bet is to call someone who is an "associate" rather than a "director". For example, my name was mysteriously dropped from my account and replaced with my husband's name. I emailed Chase Cross and had it fixed very quickly. Had I sent that email to Doug Banks, he would have routed it to Chase to be handled as Doug was sorting through a gazillion other emails.

You can reach Chase at 828.964.5809 or crossce2@appstate.edu.
If serving is beneath you, then leading is beyond you.

#GiveYosef

AppSt94

Unread post by AppSt94 » Tue Nov 23, 2021 11:41 am

DaphneUrquhart wrote:
Tue Nov 23, 2021 11:37 am
Each Yosef staff member has a different focus. It's important to address your calls / concerns to the right person. Here's the link to all of the Yosef staff.
Yosef Staff

Doug Banks is the main Yosef (annual giving) person. Suzette is in charge of the Leadership Society (major gifts).

As with many organizations, there are also executive level decision makers and those who carry out the decisions made at the executive level. If you want to get a quick answer to a question that doesn't need that executive level attention, your best bet is to call someone who is an "associate" rather than a "director". For example, my name was mysteriously dropped from my account and replaced with my husband's name. I emailed Chase Cross and had it fixed very quickly. Had I sent that email to Doug Banks, he would have routed it to Chase to be handled as Doug was sorting through a gazillion other emails.

You can reach Chase at 828.964.5809 or crossce2@appstate.edu.
Solid advice. I think that you can Cc the Executive Director if you wish. I sent an email to the ticket sales email about my season tickets. I copied Doug Banks on it, as he is in charge of that area. He responded and delivered my tickets to me.

pop5app

Unread post by pop5app » Tue Nov 23, 2021 12:12 pm

brianowen wrote:
Tue Nov 23, 2021 10:02 am
pop5app wrote:
Thanks!

DaphneUrquhart

Unread post by DaphneUrquhart » Tue Nov 23, 2021 1:05 pm

AppSt94 wrote:
Tue Nov 23, 2021 11:41 am
Solid advice. I think that you can Cc the Executive Director if you wish. I sent an email to the ticket sales email about my season tickets. I copied Doug Banks on it, as he is in charge of that area. He responded and delivered my tickets to me.
When tickets are involved, communication is even more convoluted. The ticket office controls some pieces; Yosef controls others. Copying both sides on emails makes great sense. I, too, have found Doug Banks to be very responsive. All in all, I think we've got a great bunch of folks doing as much as they can with limited financial resources.
If serving is beneath you, then leading is beyond you.

#GiveYosef

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Appalachian Football”