Thoughts/Questions about Bowls-Playoffs-CFP Rankings

EastHallApp
Posts: 6325
Joined: Wed Nov 06, 2013 4:34 pm
School: Appalachian State
Location: Raleigh
Has thanked: 2884 times
Been thanked: 2539 times

Re: Thoughts/Questions about Bowls-Playoffs-CFP Rankings

Unread post by EastHallApp » Tue Nov 23, 2021 1:47 pm

WVAPPeer wrote:
Mon Nov 22, 2021 7:46 pm
So right now we have 4 SBC teams bowl eligible with Troy and USA with 5 wins - Troy goes to GaST and USA to CCU - both certainly big underdogs = We all figure ULL is headed to New Orleans and CCU will be playing at home - So, again, none of you (us) know exactly how it works but if we are indeed the SBC at 11-2 (possibly ranked) does ESPN have a choice of where to send us OR - do the remaining tie-ins get the first shot at APP?
Theoretically, it's always *possible* ESPN could shuffle teams around; they do own a bunch of these lower-tier bowls after all. In practice, though, it almost certainly won't happen. Especially for a 2-loss team that's spent the entire season unranked.



EastHallApp
Posts: 6325
Joined: Wed Nov 06, 2013 4:34 pm
School: Appalachian State
Location: Raleigh
Has thanked: 2884 times
Been thanked: 2539 times

Re: Thoughts/Questions about Bowls-Playoffs-CFP Rankings

Unread post by EastHallApp » Tue Nov 23, 2021 1:49 pm

AtlAppMan wrote:
Mon Nov 22, 2021 12:53 pm
What we are seeing now with our latest drop in the rankings after completely demolishing a middling opponent is why I have told folks on this board repeatedly, you have to get into top 25 early and rise as high as possible throughout the season or else you won't be in it late. You cannot just say, "Oh, it only matters at the end of the season." Folks, if you are not in earlier it is very difficult to get back in from our SBC world. Our loss to Miami hurt us and that is just the way the system works. Pooh pooh them all you want but that is how the game is played.

I believe Clark has some compensation on the line for ending season ranked so there is financial implications at stake.
Losing to Miami didn't hurt us nearly as badly as losing by 28 to ULL did. Takes a while to get the stink of that type of beatdown off, as it should.

As others have stated, we'll likely be ranked if we win the next two, and certainly if we win the next three.



User avatar
moonshine
Posts: 1956
Joined: Thu Aug 09, 2012 7:25 am
School: Appalachian State
Location: High Country
Has thanked: 267 times
Been thanked: 642 times

Re: Thoughts/Questions about Bowls-Playoffs-CFP Rankings

Unread post by moonshine » Tue Nov 23, 2021 7:24 pm

If ND makes it into the CFP over an undefeated Cincy, I’ll boycott the invitational and hopefully millions of others will follow suit.

In no particular order and assuming Cincy is NY6/CFP, I’d like to see App face off in a bowl against: Houston (AAC), SMU (AAC), SDSU (MWC), Fresno St. (MWC), UTSA (CUSA) or WKU (CUSA).


Picked up via free agency by the High Country All-Stars

User avatar
WVAPPeer
Posts: 10970
Joined: Wed Aug 22, 2007 11:14 am
School: Other
Location: Born: Almost Heaven
Has thanked: 3049 times
Been thanked: 1606 times

Re: Thoughts/Questions about Bowls-Playoffs-CFP Rankings

Unread post by WVAPPeer » Tue Nov 23, 2021 7:29 pm

moonshine wrote:
Tue Nov 23, 2021 7:24 pm
If ND makes it into the CFP over an undefeated Cincy, I’ll boycott the invitational and hopefully millions of others will follow suit.

In no particular order and assuming Cincy is NY6/CFP, I’d like to see App face off in a bowl against: Houston (AAC), SMU (AAC), SDSU (MWC), Fresno St. (MWC), UTSA (CUSA) or WKU (CUSA).
Well I think they may have already laid the groundwork for just that - remember they ranked Mich ahead of Mich St for two weeks right after Mich St had won the head to head and they had the same records ---
Year after year we see how they get ND into the playoffs and every year they get killed - I always figured The Pope had made a couple of telephone calls :D ;)


"Montani Semper Liberi"

The Dude Abides!!!

Howard Street Hooligan
Posts: 87
Joined: Tue Aug 24, 2021 11:34 am
School: Appalachian State
Has thanked: 26 times
Been thanked: 44 times

Re: Thoughts/Questions about Bowls-Playoffs-CFP Rankings

Unread post by Howard Street Hooligan » Tue Nov 23, 2021 7:43 pm

Black Saturday wrote:
Tue Nov 23, 2021 1:31 pm
Howard Street Hooligan wrote:
Tue Nov 23, 2021 12:10 pm
Yosefus wrote:
Mon Nov 22, 2021 12:29 pm
WVAPPeer wrote:
Mon Nov 22, 2021 11:18 am
1.When we beat GaSo and then win another SBC Championship do you see us going to a bowl site with a match-up better than what we would have had with (for us) a mediocre season (such as the weird season like last year)?

2. Are any of you thinking like me that ECU has a chance to beat Cincy? small chance anyway

3. If I were a Cincy fan and we win out I would still be extremely worried that the "Experts" on the CFP committee would still jump Notre Dame over Cincy even though they lost the head to head - Cincy's SOS is terrible - the powers to be LOVE Notre Dame even though they always suck - even without ND if OK or OK St wins 2 straight over the other then they could jump them.

4. Do some of these college writers know more than us or do they just draw names out of a hat? - one ESPN guy on his bowl match-ups has TROY playing VA TECH???

5. Today who are the 4 teams you have in the Playoffs -
For me --- Georgia - Ohio State - Alabama - Okla State ---- Notre Dame, Cincinnati

6. Please, any other thoughts/ideas ....................
1. I see us going to one of the bowls we currently have ties ins.
2. There is always a chance. ECU will be a huge underdog but I will be pulling for them.
3. In my opinion G5 will never be in 4 team playoffs. Just my opinion. We will find out tonight. I think Michigan takes the 3 or 4 spot this week.
4. These guys are day dreaming, and not taking the time to consider bowl tie ins.
5. Georgia, Ohio State, Michigan and Cincinnati.
6. Would like to see a good match up in a bigger bowl. There was a shot a Bofa last year or year before can't remember, will have to see what P5 are not eligible and can't fill bowls.
Happy Thanksgiving week! Best the Stink!
Cincy will make it this year but only because they've been really good for the last 3 years. You can't be a one-season-wonder from the G5 and make the playoff sadly.

Georgia
Ohio State
Cincy
ND

That's how the playoff will look imo.
Should it go that way

Cincy and ND don't have a chance to win against either Georgia or Ohio St

And the finals will look like this:

Georgia
Ohio State

GA will probably be favored but Ohio State has a chance to win because of their passing game?
No team is the country has a chance vs either OSU or Georgia and that includes Alabama.



User avatar
WVAPPeer
Posts: 10970
Joined: Wed Aug 22, 2007 11:14 am
School: Other
Location: Born: Almost Heaven
Has thanked: 3049 times
Been thanked: 1606 times

Re: Thoughts/Questions about Bowls-Playoffs-CFP Rankings

Unread post by WVAPPeer » Tue Nov 23, 2021 7:59 pm

Not sure about that - Bama's QB put up close to 600 yds passing last week - I guess we will see about Bama/UGA before selection day -


"Montani Semper Liberi"

The Dude Abides!!!

App_in_Maiden
Posts: 298
Joined: Sat Sep 12, 2020 5:51 am
School: Appalachian State
Has thanked: 91 times
Been thanked: 200 times

Re: Thoughts/Questions about Bowls-Playoffs-CFP Rankings

Unread post by App_in_Maiden » Tue Nov 23, 2021 8:06 pm

Howard Street Hooligan wrote:
Tue Nov 23, 2021 7:43 pm
Black Saturday wrote:
Tue Nov 23, 2021 1:31 pm
Howard Street Hooligan wrote:
Tue Nov 23, 2021 12:10 pm
Yosefus wrote:
Mon Nov 22, 2021 12:29 pm
WVAPPeer wrote:
Mon Nov 22, 2021 11:18 am
1.When we beat GaSo and then win another SBC Championship do you see us going to a bowl site with a match-up better than what we would have had with (for us) a mediocre season (such as the weird season like last year)?

2. Are any of you thinking like me that ECU has a chance to beat Cincy? small chance anyway

3. If I were a Cincy fan and we win out I would still be extremely worried that the "Experts" on the CFP committee would still jump Notre Dame over Cincy even though they lost the head to head - Cincy's SOS is terrible - the powers to be LOVE Notre Dame even though they always suck - even without ND if OK or OK St wins 2 straight over the other then they could jump them.

4. Do some of these college writers know more than us or do they just draw names out of a hat? - one ESPN guy on his bowl match-ups has TROY playing VA TECH???

5. Today who are the 4 teams you have in the Playoffs -
For me --- Georgia - Ohio State - Alabama - Okla State ---- Notre Dame, Cincinnati

6. Please, any other thoughts/ideas ....................
1. I see us going to one of the bowls we currently have ties ins.
2. There is always a chance. ECU will be a huge underdog but I will be pulling for them.
3. In my opinion G5 will never be in 4 team playoffs. Just my opinion. We will find out tonight. I think Michigan takes the 3 or 4 spot this week.
4. These guys are day dreaming, and not taking the time to consider bowl tie ins.
5. Georgia, Ohio State, Michigan and Cincinnati.
6. Would like to see a good match up in a bigger bowl. There was a shot a Bofa last year or year before can't remember, will have to see what P5 are not eligible and can't fill bowls.
Happy Thanksgiving week! Best the Stink!
Cincy will make it this year but only because they've been really good for the last 3 years. You can't be a one-season-wonder from the G5 and make the playoff sadly.

Georgia
Ohio State
Cincy
ND

That's how the playoff will look imo.
Should it go that way

Cincy and ND don't have a chance to win against either Georgia or Ohio St

And the finals will look like this:

Georgia
Ohio State

GA will probably be favored but Ohio State has a chance to win because of their passing game?
No team is the country has a chance vs either OSU or Georgia and that includes Alabama.
Until Saban leaves, I find it hard to bet against Bama.


“I don’t like talking to people I know, but strangers I have no problem with.” -Larry David

JPatH3292
Posts: 152
Joined: Fri Oct 18, 2019 8:56 am
School: Appalachian State
Has thanked: 7 times
Been thanked: 49 times

Re: Thoughts/Questions about Bowls-Playoffs-CFP Rankings

Unread post by JPatH3292 » Wed Nov 24, 2021 8:32 am

moonshine wrote:
Tue Nov 23, 2021 7:24 pm
If ND makes it into the CFP over an undefeated Cincy, I’ll boycott the invitational and hopefully millions of others will follow suit.

In no particular order and assuming Cincy is NY6/CFP, I’d like to see App face off in a bowl against: Houston (AAC), SMU (AAC), SDSU (MWC), Fresno St. (MWC), UTSA (CUSA) or WKU (CUSA).
Might as well start preparing for that outcome now. Whether it’s ND, Ok st, 2 loss bama, etc. The fact that Cincy doesn’t even control their own destiny at this point speaks volumes.



Yosef84
Posts: 3207
Joined: Thu Aug 09, 2012 11:27 am
Has thanked: 651 times
Been thanked: 1598 times

Re: Thoughts/Questions about Bowls-Playoffs-CFP Rankings

Unread post by Yosef84 » Wed Nov 24, 2021 1:52 pm

WVAPPeer wrote:
Tue Nov 23, 2021 7:59 pm
Not sure about that - Bama's QB put up close to 600 yds passing last week - I guess we will see about Bama/UGA before selection day -
Georgia is my "other" team since my father and most of my extended family went there. I will never underestimate Bama. That said, if both teams play their "A" games, Georgia wins this year by a couple of scores. I don't think Bama can beat Georgia, but Georgia can beat Georgia. I feel the same way about App and our remaining games. The UL loss was an anomaly. It was a comedy of errors (dark comedy to be sure).



User avatar
WVAPPeer
Posts: 10970
Joined: Wed Aug 22, 2007 11:14 am
School: Other
Location: Born: Almost Heaven
Has thanked: 3049 times
Been thanked: 1606 times

Re: Thoughts/Questions about Bowls-Playoffs-CFP Rankings

Unread post by WVAPPeer » Wed Nov 24, 2021 1:56 pm

Well UGA has the best defense - Bama has the best offense - so I believe the question then becomes can UGA's offense score enough against the Bama defense (not as good as usual, but still well above average) - I think Ohio State is the only team out there who could beat UGA and/or Bama - think they are clearly the best 3 teams ---


"Montani Semper Liberi"

The Dude Abides!!!

Black Saturday
Posts: 9510
Joined: Mon Oct 14, 2002 11:22 am
School: Appalachian State
Has thanked: 557 times
Been thanked: 540 times

Re: Thoughts/Questions about Bowls-Playoffs-CFP Rankings

Unread post by Black Saturday » Wed Nov 24, 2021 1:59 pm

Since Cincinnati and Notre Dame have been discussed on this thread. Here's some information that may be surprising based the success Cincy has had by being the first G5 to actually be ranked by a CFB Playoff committee. App has had enviable success as a football program, what would it take to match the level of Cincinnati? Without researching I thought the disparity of Cincy and APP was a handful plus of 4 star HS talent. App has made a good living getting the overlooked talent, looks like Cincinnati has too based on 0 Four Stars on their roster. Maybe APP really isn't that far removed from rhyming with Cincinnati's success. Is it possible?

https://www.si.com/college/notredame/fo ... cincinnati



Vegas is usually a good source to get a feel of who is a better team in a match up. Cincinnati -14 to our common opponent ECU this Saturday


BLACK SATURDAY

Yosef84
Posts: 3207
Joined: Thu Aug 09, 2012 11:27 am
Has thanked: 651 times
Been thanked: 1598 times

Re: Thoughts/Questions about Bowls-Playoffs-CFP Rankings

Unread post by Yosef84 » Wed Nov 24, 2021 2:29 pm

I think Georgia is capable of containing Bama's offense. Others have managed to hold them down and nobody they've played was on Georgia's level defensively. Georgia's offense isn't flashy, but they are really hard to stop. Yeah, in game one they sputtered against Clemson, but a lot has changed. Bentley is a solid "blue collar" QB and manages to make plays when needed. They tend to be conservative because they can be. They have a stable of RBs who can wear down a D and the also have the option of putting in Daniels who can air it out.

I wouldn't argue that OSU could potentially beat either Georgia or Bama, but I don't think they'd be favored (or should be). Could be some interesting games ahead. None of the games are that level are "givens" because they're all dangerous.



Yosef84
Posts: 3207
Joined: Thu Aug 09, 2012 11:27 am
Has thanked: 651 times
Been thanked: 1598 times

Re: Thoughts/Questions about Bowls-Playoffs-CFP Rankings

Unread post by Yosef84 » Wed Nov 24, 2021 2:30 pm

Regarding the comments above about ND jumping over an undefeated Cincy....I wouldn't say it couldn't happen, but if it does there is going to be a huge outcry. I think in this case, even non-G5 fans would call BS.



User avatar
WVAPPeer
Posts: 10970
Joined: Wed Aug 22, 2007 11:14 am
School: Other
Location: Born: Almost Heaven
Has thanked: 3049 times
Been thanked: 1606 times

Re: Thoughts/Questions about Bowls-Playoffs-CFP Rankings

Unread post by WVAPPeer » Wed Nov 24, 2021 2:55 pm

You know what they are going to say - Well, ND's SOS is 15 and 33 --- Cincy's is 90 and 93 (2 different rankings) - Look, ND is the last team I want to see in the CFP but they always seem to get in


"Montani Semper Liberi"

The Dude Abides!!!

Black Saturday
Posts: 9510
Joined: Mon Oct 14, 2002 11:22 am
School: Appalachian State
Has thanked: 557 times
Been thanked: 540 times

Re: Thoughts/Questions about Bowls-Playoffs-CFP Rankings

Unread post by Black Saturday » Wed Nov 24, 2021 3:12 pm

WVAPPeer wrote:
Wed Nov 24, 2021 2:55 pm
You know what they are going to say - Well, ND's SOS is 15 and 33 --- Cincy's is 90 and 93 (2 different rankings) - Look, ND is the last team I want to see in the CFP but they always seem to get in
APP SoS 101


BLACK SATURDAY

User avatar
WVAPPeer
Posts: 10970
Joined: Wed Aug 22, 2007 11:14 am
School: Other
Location: Born: Almost Heaven
Has thanked: 3049 times
Been thanked: 1606 times

Re: Thoughts/Questions about Bowls-Playoffs-CFP Rankings

Unread post by WVAPPeer » Wed Nov 24, 2021 4:09 pm

I'll be honest here - I'm not sure I want Cincy to make the Final 4 --- If they do make it, then all the "powers to be" will say, "See it works for everyone" and I do want to see the playoff number higher than 4 -


"Montani Semper Liberi"

The Dude Abides!!!

Black Saturday
Posts: 9510
Joined: Mon Oct 14, 2002 11:22 am
School: Appalachian State
Has thanked: 557 times
Been thanked: 540 times

Re: Thoughts/Questions about Bowls-Playoffs-CFP Rankings

Unread post by Black Saturday » Wed Nov 24, 2021 8:04 pm

WVAPPeer wrote:
Wed Nov 24, 2021 4:09 pm
I'll be honest here - I'm not sure I want Cincy to make the Final 4 --- If they do make it, then all the "powers to be" will say, "See it works for everyone" and I do want to see the playoff number higher than 4 -
For all the supposed glory in getting a playoff spot, it’s an invitational for likely a 30 point loss for the lower seeds. The disparity is there.


BLACK SATURDAY

User avatar
ah59396
Posts: 1600
Joined: Sat Nov 22, 2014 3:28 pm
School: Appalachian State
Has thanked: 1004 times
Been thanked: 1173 times

Re: Thoughts/Questions about Bowls-Playoffs-CFP Rankings

Unread post by ah59396 » Wed Nov 24, 2021 10:31 pm

WVAPPeer wrote:
Wed Nov 24, 2021 4:09 pm
I'll be honest here - I'm not sure I want Cincy to make the Final 4 --- If they do make it, then all the "powers to be" will say, "See it works for everyone" and I do want to see the playoff number higher than 4 -
I’m not going to worry about it. If they somehow win or keep it close, it’ll be because they are on their way to the BIG12. If they get blown out it’ll “prove” that G5 teams don’t belong. It’s a lose-lose.


YNWA

User avatar
WVAPPeer
Posts: 10970
Joined: Wed Aug 22, 2007 11:14 am
School: Other
Location: Born: Almost Heaven
Has thanked: 3049 times
Been thanked: 1606 times

Re: Thoughts/Questions about Bowls-Playoffs-CFP Rankings

Unread post by WVAPPeer » Wed Nov 24, 2021 10:56 pm

ah59396 wrote:
Wed Nov 24, 2021 10:31 pm
WVAPPeer wrote:
Wed Nov 24, 2021 4:09 pm
I'll be honest here - I'm not sure I want Cincy to make the Final 4 --- If they do make it, then all the "powers to be" will say, "See it works for everyone" and I do want to see the playoff number higher than 4 -
I’m not going to worry about it. If they somehow win or keep it close, it’ll be because they are on their way to the BIG12. If they get blown out it’ll “prove” that G5 teams don’t belong. It’s a lose-lose.
You know - you are right - I didn't forget the Big 12 but it did slip my mind


"Montani Semper Liberi"

The Dude Abides!!!

Black Saturday
Posts: 9510
Joined: Mon Oct 14, 2002 11:22 am
School: Appalachian State
Has thanked: 557 times
Been thanked: 540 times

Re: Thoughts/Questions about Bowls-Playoffs-CFP Rankings

Unread post by Black Saturday » Sat Nov 27, 2021 6:39 am

Black Saturday wrote:
Wed Nov 24, 2021 1:59 pm
Since Cincinnati and Notre Dame have been discussed on this thread. Here's some information that may be surprising based the success Cincy has had by being the first G5 to actually be ranked by a CFB Playoff committee. App has had enviable success as a football program, what would it take to match the level of Cincinnati? Without researching I thought the disparity of Cincy and APP was a handful plus of 4 star HS talent. App has made a good living getting the overlooked talent, looks like Cincinnati has too based on 0 Four Stars on their roster. Maybe APP really isn't that far removed from rhyming with Cincinnati's success. Is it possible?

https://www.si.com/college/notredame/fo ... cincinnati



Vegas is usually a good source to get a feel of who is a better team in a match up. Cincinnati -14 to our common opponent ECU this Saturday
Any you guys have an opinion after seeing Cincinnati play ECU? Is Ridder the main difference? Defense looked really good, ECU was offensively ineffective. Could we hang? Their D got after ECUs immobile QB pretty good. 12-0 is a tall order as we know.

Before this weekend

Sagarin has Cincinnati a 9 point favorite over APP on a neutral field.


BLACK SATURDAY

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Appalachian Football”