Here is the link to the fall sports streaming schedule.

https://appstatesports.com/news/2023/8/ ... edule.aspx

Brice returning

WASU 93
School: Appalachian State

Re: Brice returning

Unread post by WASU 93 » Tue Dec 07, 2021 4:03 pm

bcoach wrote:
Tue Dec 07, 2021 2:08 pm
WASU 93 wrote:
Tue Dec 07, 2021 11:47 am
bigdaddyg wrote:
Tue Dec 07, 2021 9:01 am
While I believe that Chase did a great job overall this year isn’t it time to move on with some other guys? The super seniors we have for one more game all had fine careers but if this program can’t regroup and move forward with players in waiting we are in trouble. I’m hoping that we can reload next year but if we became so dependent on the older guys we are staring at 6-6.
With the transfer protocol, who knows how the future looks with players in waiting vs. bringing in a steady mix of juniors and seniors (not just at our program, but at any program).

Here's a great reason that Brice is returning vs. bringing in a new starter: We currently open up next year with UNC, at Texas A&M and at Marshall. UNC will already have played their first game vs. Florida A&M prior to traveling to Boone. Compared to a brand new QB AND a brand new WR corps (in regards to starting roles, chemistry, etc), having an experienced QB who has played in front of big crowds may be our best chance. I know ZT played great at Penn State in his first start, but that's not always the case.
I would love to win those three games but conference championships are what is important to me. Those three game could be used to get a new QB going. Look I have nothing personal against the guy but we need someone who is more consistent. His individual stats mean absolutely nothing to me. Team wins are what is important. Ten wins are great but we didn't win the important one. I don't question his heart. He ran like never before. He was trying to make it happen. It is his ability to be consistent that has me bothered. But the decision has been made I guess so we wait one more year to see if one of out backups can play more than two downs and two handoffs.
In the last two games, our running game disappeared, so we lost offensive balance. (Our leading rusher was Castle against Ga. Southern in mop-up time and outside of People's TD, our best runs were Chase tucking and running when everyone was covered.) Chase missed some throws high, but he was also under pressure from a four man rush and didn't have many clean pockets. Some of his misses last game were intentionally thrown away, and he did not turn the ball over until desperation time at the end of the game.

In the college game, I prefer a dual threat QB because it keeps the defense honest. With a pocket passer, we need an established running game to make us two dimensional. Currently, we don't run misdirection, jet sweeps, or involve our running backs in our passing game. (and we abandoned the WR Screen/Bubble Route against Louisiana). Hence, what is our play calling doing to free up the passing game?
We did hit a 43 yard pass to Sutton that was nullified due to a penalty that didn't alter the play. Malik Williams had a rare drop on a nice ball from Brice in the red zone and he gave Sutton a chance on the ball in the end zone.
The offense really didn't struggle because of Brice's play and decision making on Saturday. His decision to tuck and run and gain some tough yards prevented the game from being a blow out.

My thoughts are, if you fix the run game, Brice will provide the consistency you are looking for.

AppSt94

Unread post by AppSt94 » Tue Dec 07, 2021 4:06 pm

Stonewall wrote:
Tue Dec 07, 2021 3:48 pm
If it postions us for a couple of championship runs the obvious answer is yes. I also want to see the redshirt o linemen in action. The guys that played Saturday got beat like rented mules. Coach will have to figure it out in the spring.
Who says that we can’t go on one next year with Brice? I mean, I get what you are saying. But next year isn’t a total rebuild. Depending on Super Senior that could come back, and given what everyone else has coming back in the East; winning the East and getting to the CCG isn’t unrealistic.

Stonewall

Unread post by Stonewall » Tue Dec 07, 2021 4:12 pm

Fix the O line and get a run game that works against quality opponents ? Count me in.

AppSt94

Unread post by AppSt94 » Tue Dec 07, 2021 4:18 pm

Stonewall wrote:
Tue Dec 07, 2021 4:12 pm
Fix the O line and get a run game that works against quality opponents ? Count me in.
What about the O line needs to be fixed? Yes they had a bad couple of games against a bigger Louisiana DL but they crowded the box with more guys than we could block. I don’t know that it was an OL problem as much as it was a scheme that gave us fits. These were the same guys that opened holes all year for the RBs. Changing out the parts doesn’t necessarily guarantee improvement.

ASUTed

Unread post by ASUTed » Tue Dec 07, 2021 4:24 pm

AppSt94 wrote:
Tue Dec 07, 2021 4:18 pm
Stonewall wrote:
What about the O line needs to be fixed? Yes they had a bad couple of games against a bigger Louisiana DL but they crowded the box with more guys than we could block. I don’t know that it was an OL problem as much as it was a scheme that gave us fits. These were the same guys that opened holes all year for the RBs. Changing out the parts doesn’t necessarily guarantee improvement.
We lost many one on one matchups against lousiana, it was not case of more than we could block, our interior linemen were overmatched in that game

BambooRdApp

Unread post by BambooRdApp » Tue Dec 07, 2021 6:06 pm

ASUTed wrote:
Tue Dec 07, 2021 4:24 pm
AppSt94 wrote:
Stonewall wrote:
We lost many one on one matchups against lousiana, it was not case of more than we could block, our interior linemen were overmatched in that game
Maybe it is scheme versus an overall OL issue. When we sold out when on defensive on the rush to QB, they had the quick slant or short pass to some yardage and live for another down. I did not see that in our offense. I do not see the concept of let's get the 5 to 6 yard pass and move on. It seems we would go on longer pass patterns with some on the side and some in the middle..but nothing to offset them playing to cover deep while also sending rushers to QB. Seems a short pass to WR, TE or RB would help offset that issue. Would like to see that more. Although he is not a runner per se (running for his life on Saturday), fake handoff bootleg pass to TE or fake jet sweep and throw to WR out of jet sweep. With all that said, we were in the game near the end even if not pretty on offense. From what I viewed, the guys continued to fight until the end....and with all the analysts on the staff and analytics...Napier does what he does against App...he gave us a chance when their should be no chance... Miracle on the Mountain, Last years game and then Saturday....
Something he needs to improve at UF....or maybe it is just mental scars from Miracle on the Mountain
Today I Give My All For Appalachian State!!
#FreeMillerHillForMoMoney!!
#SleeveStripesWereTheBomb!!
#99ForPresident!!

huskie3

Unread post by huskie3 » Tue Dec 07, 2021 6:23 pm

I’m fine with Brice coming back for another year. What I would like to see is using QB2 more than just mopup duty, give them actual game experience.
Bring Your A Game!

AppSt94

Unread post by AppSt94 » Tue Dec 07, 2021 6:41 pm

ASUTed wrote:
Tue Dec 07, 2021 4:24 pm
AppSt94 wrote:
Stonewall wrote:
True. But we have played 10 other opponents that we were able to beat. I just don’t see the need to reinvent the wheel. This is a rivalry between the two best teams in the conference. We have lost the last three after winning the first 7. I just don’t see the need to panic.

NattyBumppo'sRevenge

Unread post by NattyBumppo'sRevenge » Tue Dec 07, 2021 6:42 pm

Brice is great, can’t do much when you are having to scramble and you are starting at 2nd and 12 all the time. That 7 yard pass to Hennigan was open most of the night. If run game is getting stuffed, need to mix in some short passes on 1st down to get in 2nd and 5 or 6, which opens the playbook tremendously and takes pressure off the QB and linemen. Our inability to adjust when things aren’t working is the most frustrating to me. We can’t always rely on a Virgil TD return, a TD Roof game changing sack or and Jones pick 6 to get things moving.

goapps93

Unread post by goapps93 » Tue Dec 07, 2021 6:49 pm

huskie3 wrote:
Tue Dec 07, 2021 6:23 pm
I’m fine with Brice coming back for another year. What I would like to see is using QB2 more than just mopup duty, give them actual game experience.
I'm not saying no one does this but I can't think of any teams who do that don't use a 2 QB system. If there are meaningful minutes to be played they should probably be played by the QB1. Can you imagine the outcry if a backup comes in and we lose momentum and lose the game? I guess we could see the QB2 come in earlier in blowouts next season but Chase needed all the reps he could get since he was a first year guy in our system.
WE ARE YOSEF!

AppStateNews

Unread post by AppStateNews » Tue Dec 07, 2021 8:16 pm

Having the QB2/3 not get any time outside of garbage time is not uncommon.

Zac Thomas got very minimal playing time too until he was the starter. I think that proved to work out pretty well...
tAPPedInSports.net

Not affiliated with the above website

Stonewall

Unread post by Stonewall » Tue Dec 07, 2021 9:18 pm

AppSt94 wrote:
Stonewall wrote:
Better blocking , run and pass .Fewer bonehead penalties , drive killing bonehead penalties.Who do you want to measure yourself against , mediocre competition or the team you have to beat for a championship? UL dominated the trenches.If we are going to be champions that really can't happen.

spacemonkey

Unread post by spacemonkey » Tue Dec 07, 2021 9:50 pm

My two cents....We need some kind of misdirection. Also...a flare out of Noel/peoples out of the backfield instead of blocking. No need for pass protection on a quick pass and getting our quick backs in free space. I love a run game football but when the other team is determined to stop it we have to have a plan B. I think Shawn is the right coach and I hope they will add some dimensions to the game. We are two dimensional....I would like to see us 4 dimensional. We have the weapons, they just need to be deployed to the right spot. The difference between the offense we got Saturday vs the first "Bombs over Bagdad" were very different and not in a good way. (Louisiana was much better than MTSU though)

AppStateNews

Unread post by AppStateNews » Tue Dec 07, 2021 9:58 pm

spacemonkey wrote:
Tue Dec 07, 2021 9:50 pm
My two cents....We need some kind of misdirection. Also...a flare out of Noel/peoples out of the backfield instead of blocking. No need for pass protection on a quick pass and getting our quick backs in free space. I love a run game football but when the other team is determined to stop it we have to have a plan B. I think Shawn is the right coach and I hope they will add some dimensions to the game. We are two dimensional....I would like to see us 4 dimensional. We have the weapons, they just need to be deployed to the right spot. The difference between the offense we got Saturday vs the first "Bombs over Bagdad" were very different and not in a good way. (Louisiana was much better than MTSU though)
I think Clark, Ponce, and co would like to have a pass catching option out of the back field as well.
tAPPedInSports.net

AppSt94

Unread post by AppSt94 » Tue Dec 07, 2021 10:01 pm

Stonewall wrote:
Tue Dec 07, 2021 9:18 pm
AppSt94 wrote:
Stonewall wrote:
Better blocking , run and pass .Fewer bonehead penalties , drive killing bonehead penalties.Who do you want to measure yourself against , mediocre competition or the team you have to beat for a championship? UL dominated the trenches.If we are going to be champions that really can't happen.
I get the penalties part of your argument. Outside of that, I’m not sure what you want. No team is perfect and no scheme is unbeatable. Louisiana had a game plan that we couldn’t solve offensively. It doesn’t mean that another team doing the exact same thing would have the same outcome. We can meet them again next year, they could run the same scheme and we can crush it. We are a running team that relies on a zone blocking scheme to work. Holy crap man! We have won more games since 2015 than any team in FBS not named Alabama. Clemson. Georgia, or Oklahoma. Those are the teams that I choose to measure us against. Not because I think that we can play with them. But because they have proven to take care of their business. They don’t always win. But they always stay the course.

Rekdiver

Unread post by Rekdiver » Tue Dec 07, 2021 11:09 pm

What I’ve not seen is a modification to our offense. Screens, options, more reverses....TE passes? I feel like we were very predictable therefore easier to game plan for a ream like ULL

AppStateNews

Unread post by AppStateNews » Tue Dec 07, 2021 11:11 pm

Rekdiver wrote:
Tue Dec 07, 2021 11:09 pm
What I’ve not seen is a modification to our offense. Screens, options, more reverses....TE passes? I feel like we were very predictable therefore easier to game plan for a ream like ULL
I think the lack of passes to TEs are because they have to stay in to block more often than in years past. I think a reason for that is the lack of confidence in the RB screens. Not sure why that lack of confidence is there, but my guess is they don't trust the RBs to catch it.
tAPPedInSports.net

WVAPPeer
School: Other

Unread post by WVAPPeer » Wed Dec 08, 2021 12:52 am

AppSt94 wrote:
Stonewall wrote:
I don't quite understand some of this questioning of our Offensive line - because of Cam missing several games it will probably preclude us having 2-- 1,000 rushers this season (it could still happen) - And if you haven't read this article from our main athletics page please do so ---
App State's offensive line has been named one of 13 semifinalists for the Joe Moore Award, which is given annually to the top offensive line in college football.

With finalists being named Dec. 7, the other semifinalists come from Air Force, Arkansas, Baylor, Georgia, Kentucky, Louisiana, Ohio State, Michigan, Michigan State, Oregon, Oregon State and Wisconsin. App State has been recognized as a top-15 line nationally by the Joe Moore Award in three of the last four seasons.
Coached by Nic Cardwell, a six-man rotation up front features center Baer Hunter, right tackle Cooper Hodges, left tackle Anderson Hardy and three guards: Damion Daley, Isaiah Helms and Luke Smith.

App State ranks No. 3 nationally with only eight sacks allowed in 11 games and has the 10th-lowest percentage for quarterback pressures allowed. The Mountaineers are one of only two FBS teams with more than 300 passing attempts and less than 10 sacks allowed and one of only two FBS teams with two backs averaging at least 80.0 rushing yards per game.

"App State continues to put themselves in the conversation by having an edge and chippiness to their style of play," according to the Joe Moore Award committee. "They seem to excel in the 'Gotta Have Its' and goal line plays and work combos with a consistency that is fun to watch."

The eight sacks allowed have come with 324 pass attempts against defenses that have totaled 299 sacks (or 2.7 per game) when not playing App State. The Mountaineers have allowed one sack in the last five games following a no-sack performance by a Troy defense that had 36 in its first 10 games.

In the running game, Nate Noel leads the Sun Belt in rushing (1,013 yards this season, 92.1 per game) and Camerun Peoples (82.1 yards per game) leads the league with 13 rushing TDs. According to PFF, Noel has 26 rush attempts this season in which he's gained at least 6 yards before being touched.

With the six-man rotation on the line, three of the four interior linemen began their college careers as defensive linemen.

I see a need for a few tweaks but there is not a major problem with our OL - 3 of our 5/6 voted by the Coaches to All-Conference teams - As 94 states you just don't go out and make big changes because a team out-plays you??? - You think the UGA defense which was basically unbeatable will ditch their schemes now that Bama put 41 on them?
"Montani Semper Liberi"

The Dude Abides!!!

AppSt94

Unread post by AppSt94 » Wed Dec 08, 2021 7:54 am

Rekdiver wrote:
Tue Dec 07, 2021 11:09 pm
I think this is a legitimate question. Wasn’t this somewhat similar to the gripe about our last OC?

In this case, I don’t think the predictability of our play calling made it easier to scheme us effectively. I think that they found a scheme that their personnel could run and we head no answer. Again.

bcoach

Unread post by bcoach » Wed Dec 08, 2021 8:06 am

WVAPPeer wrote:
Wed Dec 08, 2021 12:52 am
AppSt94 wrote:
Stonewall wrote:
I don't quite understand some of this questioning of our Offensive line - because of Cam missing several games it will probably preclude us having 2-- 1,000 rushers this season (it could still happen) - And if you haven't read this article from our main athletics page please do so ---
App State's offensive line has been named one of 13 semifinalists for the Joe Moore Award, which is given annually to the top offensive line in college football.

With finalists being named Dec. 7, the other semifinalists come from Air Force, Arkansas, Baylor, Georgia, Kentucky, Louisiana, Ohio State, Michigan, Michigan State, Oregon, Oregon State and Wisconsin. App State has been recognized as a top-15 line nationally by the Joe Moore Award in three of the last four seasons.
Coached by Nic Cardwell, a six-man rotation up front features center Baer Hunter, right tackle Cooper Hodges, left tackle Anderson Hardy and three guards: Damion Daley, Isaiah Helms and Luke Smith.

App State ranks No. 3 nationally with only eight sacks allowed in 11 games and has the 10th-lowest percentage for quarterback pressures allowed. The Mountaineers are one of only two FBS teams with more than 300 passing attempts and less than 10 sacks allowed and one of only two FBS teams with two backs averaging at least 80.0 rushing yards per game.

"App State continues to put themselves in the conversation by having an edge and chippiness to their style of play," according to the Joe Moore Award committee. "They seem to excel in the 'Gotta Have Its' and goal line plays and work combos with a consistency that is fun to watch."

The eight sacks allowed have come with 324 pass attempts against defenses that have totaled 299 sacks (or 2.7 per game) when not playing App State. The Mountaineers have allowed one sack in the last five games following a no-sack performance by a Troy defense that had 36 in its first 10 games.

In the running game, Nate Noel leads the Sun Belt in rushing (1,013 yards this season, 92.1 per game) and Camerun Peoples (82.1 yards per game) leads the league with 13 rushing TDs. According to PFF, Noel has 26 rush attempts this season in which he's gained at least 6 yards before being touched.

With the six-man rotation on the line, three of the four interior linemen began their college careers as defensive linemen.

I see a need for a few tweaks but there is not a major problem with our OL - 3 of our 5/6 voted by the Coaches to All-Conference teams - As 94 states you just don't go out and make big changes because a team out-plays you??? - You think the UGA defense which was basically unbeatable will ditch their schemes now that Bama put 41 on them?
If Bama does it 3 times they will. You have to beat the best to be the best. If the conference championship runs through Louisiana then that is the team we have to beat. I am not going to further beat a dead horse. I am just upset that we sometimes lose a game that we really should have won because of ......I'll leave it at that. We had a good season and I am sure we will work on the important things as people gain experience. We are going to have a great bowl win.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Appalachian Football”