Here is the link to the fall sports streaming schedule.

https://appstatesports.com/news/2023/8/ ... edule.aspx

Robinson Transfer

appdaze

Robinson Transfer

Unread post by appdaze » Mon Dec 13, 2021 7:47 pm

3 years of eligibility. Could be a good one.

firemoose
School: Appalachian State

Re: Robinson Transfer

Unread post by firemoose » Mon Dec 13, 2021 7:49 pm

Three years for Marshall as well...

PBR1893-BEER-HAT-GUY

Unread post by PBR1893-BEER-HAT-GUY » Mon Dec 13, 2021 8:08 pm

Re-loading!!!

NattyBumppo'sRevenge

Unread post by NattyBumppo'sRevenge » Mon Dec 13, 2021 8:11 pm

Are they immediately eligible next season?

AppSt94

Unread post by AppSt94 » Mon Dec 13, 2021 8:21 pm

Yes

AppStFan1

Unread post by AppStFan1 » Mon Dec 13, 2021 9:26 pm

NattyBumppo'sRevenge wrote:
Mon Dec 13, 2021 8:11 pm
Are they immediately eligible next season?
All transfers are now eligible the first time. It’s when they transfer a second time that they now sit out or lose a year. The new thing is now going to be for players to leave after year one if they aren’t 100% happy and see their position room crowded. They are going to go where they can play once they see the promise of early playing time at original choice didn’t pan out.

BambooRdApp

Unread post by BambooRdApp » Mon Dec 13, 2021 9:48 pm

Always nice to add talent.
Today I Give My All For Appalachian State!!
#FreeMillerHillForMoMoney!!
#SleeveStripesWereTheBomb!!
#99ForPresident!!

AppStateNews

Unread post by AppStateNews » Mon Dec 13, 2021 10:19 pm

Robinson was a top priority recruit for us. He ultimately chose UCF at the last minute. Staff is happy about getting this dude.
tAPPedInSports.net

Not affiliated with the above website

appstatealum

Unread post by appstatealum » Mon Dec 13, 2021 11:25 pm

Like it. Coen Sutton and Kaeden on the outside. Two physical recievers.
The Appalachian State

bigdaddyg

Unread post by bigdaddyg » Tue Dec 14, 2021 7:07 am

While I hope that these two guys can fit in and contribute I see different sides to the transfer portal. Seems like you see more and more guys who got several good offers coming out of high school- probably a majority of which were good G5 type but also that 1 P5 so they took the “gold ring” only to get slapped with reality pretty quickly that they were either not going to play much or not at all so now they want to take that G5 offer. We have seen already that just because a guy transfers into App from a big boy P5 that doesn’t signal becoming a starter (which is a huge plus for our program).

I really hope we don’t become enamored with this free agent system to the point where we run off younger guys who don’t want to keep waiting and burning up years of eligibility.

AppSt94

Unread post by AppSt94 » Tue Dec 14, 2021 7:45 am

bigdaddyg wrote:
Tue Dec 14, 2021 7:07 am
While I hope that these two guys can fit in and contribute I see different sides to the transfer portal. Seems like you see more and more guys who got several good offers coming out of high school- probably a majority of which were good G5 type but also that 1 P5 so they took the “gold ring” only to get slapped with reality pretty quickly that they were either not going to play much or not at all so now they want to take that G5 offer. We have seen already that just because a guy transfers into App from a big boy P5 that doesn’t signal becoming a starter (which is a huge plus for our program).

I really hope we don’t become enamored with this free agent system to the point where we run off younger guys who don’t want to keep waiting and burning up years of eligibility.
I feel the same way about the portal. These kids are in there for a reason and some of them are of their own doing. I.e. poor work ethic, poor attitude. Those are the ones that you have to be careful of.

Clark has stated that we will build with his kids and fill in where necessary with portal guys that due diligence shows that they are a good fit.

AppSt94

Unread post by AppSt94 » Tue Dec 14, 2021 7:46 am

appstatealum wrote:
Mon Dec 13, 2021 11:25 pm
I would add Stroman to that list of outside receivers.

CharlotteApp05

Unread post by CharlotteApp05 » Tue Dec 14, 2021 8:12 am

AppSt94 wrote:
Tue Dec 14, 2021 7:45 am
bigdaddyg wrote:

I feel the same way about the portal. These kids are in there for a reason and some of them are of their own doing. I.e. poor work ethic, poor attitude. Those are the ones that you have to be careful of.

Clark has stated that we will build with his kids and fill in where necessary with portal guys that due diligence shows that they are a good fit.
Agree with what both of you are saying....But it doesn't feel like that is how we are using it. We seem to be going after kids in the transfer portal that we previously recruited, already know really well and really wanted. They chose to go to a more visible conference or school or whatever knowing that if it did not work out, they may be able to get to App anyway. I don't think it is that terrible.

AppSt94

Unread post by AppSt94 » Tue Dec 14, 2021 8:22 am

CharlotteApp05 wrote:
Tue Dec 14, 2021 8:12 am
AppSt94 wrote:
Tue Dec 14, 2021 7:45 am
bigdaddyg wrote:

Agree with what both of you are saying....But it doesn't feel like that is how we are using it. We seem to be going after kids in the transfer portal that we previously recruited, already know really well and really wanted. They chose to go to a more visible conference or school or whatever knowing that if it did not work out, they may be able to get to App anyway. I don't think it is that terrible.
Yes. You are correct. Relationships are important and inside the short recruiting window for these transfers, it is doubly important.

I like how we utilize it. We get guys that fit in inside the locker room.

BambooRdApp

Unread post by BambooRdApp » Tue Dec 14, 2021 8:43 am

I would not underestimate the importance of players on chemistry and culture. If negative, can be a poison for entire team. If we recruited the kid previously, we had a longer dating period to get to know kid and family. Although you never know until kid gets on campus, however there is a higher probability that they fit the culture.
For some, we may not have recruited if they were all in on P5. In these cases, I am sure coaching staff is doing as much due diligence as possible.
For normal recruiting and transfer portal, you are going to have winners and losers on the kids that add to culture and some maybe not as much (not talking playing time or being a star on the field).
In Clark (and the coaching staff) I trust.
Today I Give My All For Appalachian State!!
#FreeMillerHillForMoMoney!!
#SleeveStripesWereTheBomb!!
#99ForPresident!!

bigdaddyg

Unread post by bigdaddyg » Tue Dec 14, 2021 9:22 am

I really like to view the whole portal process like free agency. The Alabama’s and other big boys grab those transfer guys who came in highly recruited, have put up some good numbers at other schools but want that shot at a championship or to help with pro aspirations. Seems like solid G5’s like an App get some guys (like mentioned above) that we recruited but grabbed the shinier option (at the time). I agree coaches have to be careful with these dudes especially if it means taking a scholarship slot. You read the bios on many of them and they had big time high school numbers but barely played at the school they are transferring from. We brought in a back from Notre Dame who barely saw the field. We had a glaring need on the offensive line and apparently that move panned out. We read and know about our probable running back depth next year. My question is, are any of the redshirt freshmen or other younger guys good enough to crack the lineup instead of bringing in 2 transfers?

Saint3333

Unread post by Saint3333 » Tue Dec 14, 2021 9:52 am

I'd rather bring in FCS or other G5 players that shined for a year or two and looking to step up than rely on borderline P5 recruits that have been sitting on the bench for two years.

It appears we're targeting players we liked out of HS or we've had a relationship with in the past which is solid as well.

goapps93

Unread post by goapps93 » Tue Dec 14, 2021 10:04 am

These guys aren't just showing up on our doorstep. The portal is recruited just like high schools. I think we're doing it right and learning from mistakes (Stu Head?).
WE ARE YOSEF!

AppSt94

Unread post by AppSt94 » Tue Dec 14, 2021 10:31 am

It’s important to understand that guys in the portal are contacting us as well. The Head thing was definitely a learning opportunity.

kornegaylw

Unread post by kornegaylw » Tue Dec 14, 2021 10:35 am

AppSt94 wrote:
Tue Dec 14, 2021 7:46 am
appstatealum wrote:
Mon Dec 13, 2021 11:25 pm
I would add Stroman to that list of outside receivers.
Stroman: 6'4"
C Sutton: 6'2"
K Robinson: 6'2"
Horn:6'2"
Pickney: 6'1"
D Brown: 6'1"
Wells: 5'11"

There are 6 other WRs on the roster. I would expect we see someone leave.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Appalachian Football”