Here is the link to the fall sports streaming schedule.

https://appstatesports.com/news/2023/8/ ... edule.aspx

Recruiting, 2015

firemoose
School: Appalachian State

Re: Recruiting, 2015

Unread post by firemoose » Sun Jan 25, 2015 3:00 pm

Commit #16:

DE Devin Papenheim (6' 6" 225) of South Sumter High School in Bushnell, FL has committed to App State. I am moving his player page to the Commits section on the Main Page. Several sites have him listed as one of the top sleeper recruits in this class with tons of upside. I'll update more shortly.

EastHallApp

Unread post by EastHallApp » Sun Jan 25, 2015 3:13 pm

Sounds like the Sunshine was bright in Boone this weekend! ;)

firemoose

Unread post by firemoose » Sun Jan 25, 2015 3:18 pm

EastHallApp wrote:Sounds like the Sunshine was bright in Boone this weekend! ;)
I think it was taking the team and recruits tubing at Hawksnest that sealed the deal. ;)

Weather sucked until today so why not embrace it. :lol:

hapapp

Unread post by hapapp » Sun Jan 25, 2015 3:37 pm

An observation, not a criticism.

We are currently ranked 9 in the SBC in the 2015 recruiting wars. We also have the smallest class to this point and, of course, we were the youngest team in the league and fewer needs than others. Our average puts us in 7th, so we are still in the bottom half of the league to this point. I actually believe that our average may be higher this year than last. So, it may be that the rest of the league is stepping it up.

AppGrad78

Unread post by AppGrad78 » Sun Jan 25, 2015 4:01 pm

One player whose name briefly popped up on our recruiting radar -- Ephraim KItchen -- recently committed to Louisiana Tech. Rivals.com immediately elevated him from a two-star to a three-star.

This video is all the reason I need to be happy for Louisiana Tech.

It's also another reason why I put zero stock in what a recruiting service says about a recruiting class.

firemoose

Unread post by firemoose » Sun Jan 25, 2015 4:02 pm

hapapp wrote:An observation, not a criticism.

We are currently ranked 9 in the SBC in the 2015 recruiting wars. We also have the smallest class to this point and, of course, we were the youngest team in the league and fewer needs than others. Our average puts us in 7th, so we are still in the bottom half of the league to this point. I actually believe that our average may be higher this year than last. So, it may be that the rest of the league is stepping it up.
We'll see where things stand come next Wednesday. If it's like last year there will be quite a few changes between now and then.

hapapp

Unread post by hapapp » Sun Jan 25, 2015 4:11 pm

AppGrad78 wrote:One player whose name briefly popped up on our recruiting radar -- Ephraim KItchen -- recently committed to Louisiana Tech. Rivals.com immediately elevated him from a two-star to a three-star.

This video is all the reason I need to be happy for Louisiana Tech.

It's also another reason why I put zero stock in what a recruiting service says about a recruiting class.
I've got no problem with that but we can't brag about how well we did last year with our conference ranking and then discount this year.

AppGrad78

Unread post by AppGrad78 » Sun Jan 25, 2015 4:22 pm

Yes, collectively we did a lot of chest-thumping last year. I'm just saying that whether we finish first or last in a recruiting website's ranking, the people who really keep up with such matters know just how arbitrary these rankings are. In my opinion, they're not worth the space they take up on the internet.

GlassOnion

Unread post by GlassOnion » Sun Jan 25, 2015 4:42 pm

The positions of need are filled, they've got the appropriate linemen, who can RS If need be, along with a bunch of skill guys, a few of which are bound to be able to contribute right away, looks to be exactly what we needed.

hapapp

Unread post by hapapp » Sun Jan 25, 2015 5:28 pm

GlassOnion wrote:The positions of need are filled, they've got the appropriate linemen, who can RS If need be, along with a bunch of skill guys, a few of which are bound to be able to contribute right away, looks to be exactly what we needed.
Yes, I think that is the most important thing...if we fill our particular needs that is the most important accomplishment. It does appear that we may have to wait a couple of days to determine if we did accomplish all our needs.

Rick0714

Unread post by Rick0714 » Sun Jan 25, 2015 6:03 pm

Tarrick Thomas is a guy I've been excited about ever since he said he was coming this weekend. I've been coaching the lines for over 15 years now and I don't get too excited about OL too often. Just a huge transition from HS to college and some good HS lineman just don't transition well. BUT if his videos are an accurate representation, he will! First off, its obvious he has been very well coached! His form and technique are great in the run game, pretty dang good in the pass game, but its a smaller sample size. Sinks his hips and bends at the knees instead of the hips, which most HS lineman do (no matter how much I yell!). Doesn't over-extend his first step, keeps his feet under him, and therefore, delivers one heck of a blow. He looks to be strong as an ox, dude manhandles and pancakes a lot of the opposition on all three levels, and he certainly looks it physically. He moves very well. He looks just as good when lined up with guys his equal in size, which is a good indicator that is often overlooked on highlight videos. I really think this guy would be a steal. Coach Ledford would have a field day with Thomas.

firemoose

Unread post by firemoose » Sun Jan 25, 2015 9:58 pm

I guess since everyone else has posted it I might as well. In what is the worst kept secret of the day Commit #17:

DB/ATH Desmond Franklin (6′ 1″ 190) of Citrus High School in Inverness, FL has offered his verbal commit to App. I moved his page this am to the Commits section on the Main Page. The Rivals 2 star committed to App over offers from Mercer, Temple, and UMass.

Expect a few more in the next couple of days and we'll also be watching to see if anyone picks up a new offer that could change their commit. Someone told me tonight the next few days will be fun. I can think of a lot of words to describe these next few days and many of them have four letters. Don't be surprised to see some of these pop up.

:o :( :evil: :shock: :? :x :roll: :D :cry:

TheMackAttack

Unread post by TheMackAttack » Sun Jan 25, 2015 11:51 pm

Rick0714 wrote:Tarrick Thomas is a guy I've been excited about ever since he said he was coming this weekend. I've been coaching the lines for over 15 years now and I don't get too excited about OL too often. Just a huge transition from HS to college and some good HS lineman just don't transition well. BUT if his videos are an accurate representation, he will! First off, its obvious he has been very well coached! His form and technique are great in the run game, pretty dang good in the pass game, but its a smaller sample size. Sinks his hips and bends at the knees instead of the hips, which most HS lineman do (no matter how much I yell!). Doesn't over-extend his first step, keeps his feet under him, and therefore, delivers one heck of a blow. He looks to be strong as an ox, dude manhandles and pancakes a lot of the opposition on all three levels, and he certainly looks it physically. He moves very well. He looks just as good when lined up with guys his equal in size, which is a good indicator that is often overlooked on highlight videos. I really think this guy would be a steal. Coach Ledford would have a field day with Thomas.

I have a good feeling about him. What other reason would cause him to de-commit during a visit except him liking what we have to offer more than FAU?

MDaniels84

Unread post by MDaniels84 » Mon Jan 26, 2015 12:15 am

I am really excited to see how our staff is recruiting on the defensive side of the ball. I see us heading back toward looking more like our D from 05-06 but with more depth. If we can get the Adams kid from Greenwood and maybe another stud lineman or two , I feel great about this signing class.

24AppState

Unread post by 24AppState » Mon Jan 26, 2015 8:46 am

Speaking of Adams, any idea of how his weekend went? Adams, is one of the ones I really hope we get. GO APPS!

firemoose

Unread post by firemoose » Mon Jan 26, 2015 12:05 pm

24AppState wrote:Speaking of Adams, any idea of how his weekend went? Adams, is one of the ones I really hope we get. GO APPS!
Sounds like he had a good time. Word is that he's going to commit around Wednesday and, unless another comes in, it's between us and ODU. Stay tuned.

firemoose

Unread post by firemoose » Mon Jan 26, 2015 12:46 pm

Couple of notes. As many have seen on twitter the staff is on the road hard right now firming up commits and talking to our other offers. We'll see what develops from these in homes as far as our current commits go. Much more to follow.

And now for signing day. I'll be pulling an all nighter watching for last minute changes, and then starting at 6am I'll be posting as each NLI comes in. These next seven days will begin to show the shape, especially now thru Thursday given if our commits are going to get that big offer it should come by then so they could still have time to take a visit, but things will go down to the wire with some others and I plan on being on top of it as much as possible. Going to be a long week and a long 36 hours before and during Wednesday. I'll catch up on my sleep Wednesday night. :D

bcoach

Unread post by bcoach » Mon Jan 26, 2015 12:51 pm

firemoose wrote:Couple of notes. As many have seen on twitter the staff is on the road hard right now firming up commits and talking to our other offers. We'll see what develops from these in homes as far as our current commits go. Much more to follow.

And now for signing day. I'll be pulling an all nighter watching for last minute changes, and then starting at 6am I'll be posting as each NLI comes in. These next seven days will begin to show the shape, especially now thru Thursday given if our commits are going to get that big offer it should come by then so they could still have time to take a visit, but things will go down to the wire with some others and I plan on being on top of it as much as possible. Going to be a long week and a long 36 hours before and during Wednesday. I'll catch up on my sleep Wednesday night. :D
Just need to thank you again for all the work you put into this.

firemoose

Unread post by firemoose » Mon Jan 26, 2015 1:27 pm

bcoach wrote:Just need to thank you again for all the work you put into this.
Thanks Coach. Appreciate the kind words and I'm glad to do this. Love of all things App!!!

firemoose

Unread post by firemoose » Mon Jan 26, 2015 7:40 pm

Got one more according to twitter. Just double checking.
Last edited by firemoose on Mon Jan 26, 2015 8:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Appalachian Football”