Here is the link to the fall sports streaming schedule.

https://appstatesports.com/news/2023/8/ ... edule.aspx

Virgil stood out at the Hula Bowl

Captain Morgan
School: Appalachian State

Virgil stood out at the Hula Bowl

Unread post by Captain Morgan » Thu Jan 20, 2022 5:11 pm

NFL DRAFTHula Moolah: Five offensive players that made money at the 2022 Hula Bowl

Jalen Virgil, WR, Appalachian State – The first day the kid had 10 plus interviews with NFL scouts. After his first practice he had to finish out the rest of the teams. He is so damn fast and athletic. I know not all players on the Freak List by the Athletic can play the game of football, some are just testers, but this kid is not that guy. He is a football player and he is going to make some NFL team look smart.

https://www.nfldraftdiamonds.com/2022/01/hula-bowl-10/

Stonewall

Re: Virgil stood out at the Hula Bowl

Unread post by Stonewall » Thu Jan 20, 2022 9:51 pm

And he beat Southern twice.

AtlAppMan

Unread post by AtlAppMan » Fri Jan 21, 2022 4:02 pm

He blew past Miami on the 100 yrd kickoff return this year. I love what the announcers said about his speed vs Miami.

http://www.espn.com/video/clip?id=32191745

AppStFan1

Unread post by AppStFan1 » Fri Jan 21, 2022 5:53 pm

Captain Morgan wrote:
Thu Jan 20, 2022 5:11 pm
NFL DRAFTHula Moolah: Five offensive players that made money at the 2022 Hula Bowl

Jalen Virgil, WR, Appalachian State – The first day the kid had 10 plus interviews with NFL scouts. After his first practice he had to finish out the rest of the teams. He is so damn fast and athletic. I know not all players on the Freak List by the Athletic can play the game of football, some are just testers, but this kid is not that guy. He is a football player and he is going to make some NFL team look smart.

https://www.nfldraftdiamonds.com/2022/01/hula-bowl-10/
That website hypes every small school player who is willing to do an interview for them but it is good to see some single him out. All 32 teams came through Boone so they know he can fly and from what I saw during the game he showed what he did in college. The concerns NFL teams have on him are that despite blazing speed he is a straight-line receiver with questionable hands and bad routes so I would expect him to be a priority free agent. Just a shame he could not become on offense what he was on special teams. He would have been a lock to get drafted if he was more fluid and able to show consistent production on offense.

AppFan11

Unread post by AppFan11 » Fri Jan 21, 2022 11:37 pm

I have seen analysis all over the place on Jalen. He will certainly test well in his pro day. To be honest, I think we did not use Jalen anywhere near as much as we could have... I mean really either he would run a post or slant or the speed sweep. I think Shawn did not trust Jalen. On the other hand, Jalen was a mismatch for LB's and safeties and we could have been more creative in finding ways to get him the ball..... I find there is a reason why college coaches are college coaches and pro coaches are well pro coaches. I think Jalen still has some things to work on, some team will draft him on the third day. I would also argue about the straight line comment. His KO returns were more zigzag motions... stop and accelerate. I think he has lots of upside. Can he reach it? Time will tell.

BambooRdApp

Unread post by BambooRdApp » Sat Jan 22, 2022 7:52 am

I have no clue whether Satt, Drink, Clark trusted a particular player or not. For Clark, who has been there throughout this senior class in some position on coaching staff, sees the players day in and day out. Given our historical offense, it is not common that we empty the backfield for 5 WR set, etc. Coach (including Satt, Drink and Clark) were able to see 2, 5, 14, 11 and the others every day in practice. Whether it was route running, hands or something else for any WR who did not play as much as 2, 5 and 14, I am going to trust the coaching staff (Satt, Drink, Clark) in their decision on who should be on the field.
Who knows, 11 may become an all-pro wide receiver. I would still not say the coaches did not adequately use a player while at a particular college.
Several years ago, Heels had a guy named Willie Parker. For whatever reason, he did not get the majority of the carries and in some games zero carries. He turned into a pretty good back for the Steelers.

In Satt, Drink and Clark I Trust.
Today I Give My All For Appalachian State!!
#FreeMillerHillForMoMoney!!
#SleeveStripesWereTheBomb!!
#99ForPresident!!

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Appalachian Football”