Here is the link to the fall sports streaming schedule.

https://appstatesports.com/news/2023/8/ ... edule.aspx

Clark: "We can't live in the transfer portal"

asu66
School: Appalachian State

Clark: "We can't live in the transfer portal"

Unread post by asu66 » Wed Jan 26, 2022 4:24 am

If it happens to the Apps, it happens to me!

AppWyo

Re: Clark: "We can't live in the transfer portal"

Unread post by AppWyo » Wed Jan 26, 2022 1:39 pm

I agree, we need to meet the needs of the players committed to App first and then address the needs with the transfer portal. It is sort of like changing spouses, you may think you are getting a better deal, but in the end it is cheaper to stay with what you have. If you notice all the players that App has picked up are players that have ties to Appalachian and that is the way it should be. One bad apple can ruin the whole barrel.

Yosef84

Unread post by Yosef84 » Wed Jan 26, 2022 1:57 pm

App's success and consistency is a direct result of our philosophy towards the players. I think players who come to App know that they will be given a chance. Walk-ons who succeed are given scholarships. Scholarship players who succeed will get playing time and/or starting positions. Everyone gets to play for championships. Clark is saying exactly the right thing. The portal now fills the role that we once used JuCo for. The quick fix mentality being used by other programs might yield short term results but I don't think it's sustainable.

PROUD TO BE A MOUNTAINEER!

Saint3333

Unread post by Saint3333 » Wed Jan 26, 2022 3:05 pm

The transfer portal could lead to some schools that win 5-6 games three out of every four years while winning 8-10 the other year starting to experience 2-3 win seasons with great ones every four. Said another way volatility will increase, buckle up.

Howard Street Hooligan

Unread post by Howard Street Hooligan » Wed Jan 26, 2022 4:18 pm

Alright, Dabo.. Couldn't disagree more.

appsfan

Unread post by appsfan » Wed Jan 26, 2022 8:08 pm

While we may not live in the transfer portal, we certainly can't ignore it either. I guess selective activity is the way to go.

ClimbTheMountian

Unread post by ClimbTheMountian » Wed Jan 26, 2022 9:02 pm

Having played college football, culture on a team is so crucial to success. I like App’s loyalty to players who committed to App and their culture of team, family and loyalty. Transfer portal should only be used here and there with a special eye towards the intangibles of the player being brought in. Anyone who doesn’t understand culture on a team would probably love the TP. And get used to volatility as a result.

BayouApp

Unread post by BayouApp » Wed Jan 26, 2022 9:57 pm

appsfan wrote:
Wed Jan 26, 2022 8:08 pm
While we may not live in the transfer portal, we certainly can't ignore it either. I guess selective activity is the way to go.
I agree we should always be sensitive to current players, especially when they can be a successful "next man up" replacement. But if it is a position of need, or we simply have a chance to get an outstanding player, we should consider the transfer portal. Some programs...even Alabama....improved with transfers.

https://247sports.com/LongFormArticle/C ... 180968278/

WASU 93

Unread post by WASU 93 » Wed Jan 26, 2022 10:57 pm

appsfan wrote:
Wed Jan 26, 2022 8:08 pm
If you read the article, that's really what Clark said.

“If we have needs that we have to go get, we’ll go get them in the transfer portal,” Clark said.

However, Clark noted that long-tenured, program stalwarts were a major part of App State football’s DNA, and building the team with a heavy emphasis on the portal does not give players that chance.

At the same time, players have until May 31 to decide whether they will enter the portal and leave, meaning the roster can fluctuate based on players’ decisions.

“We’d be sitting here right now, thinking we’re fine and then May 31 we have seven guys up in the transfer portal,” Clark said. “I think in today’s game — especially now — that you have to recruit your own players.”

In the conference, Clark said the team was not planning on dipping their toe back into the portal after picking up receiver Kaedin Robinson from Central Florida.

“As of 11:17 a.m. right now, we don’t plan on signing anymore from the portal,” Clark said. “For the spring, we’ll go through spring practice, see our needs — where we have to play at a championship level — and we’ll address those needs.”

bigdaddyg

Unread post by bigdaddyg » Thu Jan 27, 2022 7:45 am

I would love to see a listing or stat showing post portal transfer success rates (so to speak) meaning of all the guys who have transferred how many have made an immediate impact at their new school. How many guys transferred and immediately became starters. I’m personally a little mixed on the whole free agency aspect. On the one hand if a guy commits to a school he should stay but on the other hand a coach can up and leave anytime he wants. I would bet that the success rate for transfers is fairly low. Other than the one year grad transfers (I don’t really count them since they stayed 4 years) I would think that most guys who enter the portal weren’t good enough to get major snaps at their other school. I’m not necessarily making a snap assessment but we have had a few guys come in from “big programs” who didn’t exactly light it up. I really hate when game announcers refer to some players as “blank school” transfer. Once a guy is on a new roster who cares where he played.

NattyBumppo'sRevenge

Unread post by NattyBumppo'sRevenge » Thu Jan 27, 2022 8:01 am

I find it interesting that of the 5 guys we had transfer out for this coming year, 2 were previous transfers in and one was a flip. I’ve always been a big believer in history being the best predictor of the future. I think the exception is when we heavily recruit a guy out of high school and establish a good relationship with him, but he chooses a bigger fish that doesn’t pan out. We offer him a safety net and his gratefulness establishes a loyalty to our program.

BambooRdApp

Unread post by BambooRdApp » Thu Jan 27, 2022 8:33 am

Clark has made those statements previously I believe. I hope a majority of our team is through the traditional recruiting process where kids come in a freshman. However, I hope we pursue/recruit kids in portal if we have needs in an area. Personally, I do not care if we previously recruited the kid or not when they were in n high school. Our coaches are smart. They can ask the right questions. The coaching fraternity is a close knit group. They can get information on a kid by talking to their contacts in the fraternity.
Today I Give My All For Appalachian State!!
#FreeMillerHillForMoMoney!!
#SleeveStripesWereTheBomb!!
#99ForPresident!!

Saint3333

Unread post by Saint3333 » Thu Jan 27, 2022 8:43 am

NattyBumppo'sRevenge wrote:
Thu Jan 27, 2022 8:01 am
I find it interesting that of the 5 guys we had transfer out for this coming year, 2 were previous transfers in and one was a flip. I’ve always been a big believer in history being the best predictor of the future. I think the exception is when we heavily recruit a guy out of high school and establish a good relationship with him, but he chooses a bigger fish that doesn’t pan out. We offer him a safety net and his gratefulness establishes a loyalty to our program.
There's a danger to this as well though. You don't want your top recruits flipping late using you as a backup, tough to fill out a class each December if flippers increase.

InFor6More

Unread post by InFor6More » Thu Jan 27, 2022 12:15 pm

bigdaddyg wrote:
Thu Jan 27, 2022 7:45 am
I would love to see a listing or stat showing post portal transfer success rates (so to speak) meaning of all the guys who have transferred how many have made an immediate impact at their new school. How many guys transferred and immediately became starters. I’m personally a little mixed on the whole free agency aspect. On the one hand if a guy commits to a school he should stay but on the other hand a coach can up and leave anytime he wants. I would bet that the success rate for transfers is fairly low. Other than the one year grad transfers (I don’t really count them since they stayed 4 years) I would think that most guys who enter the portal weren’t good enough to get major snaps at their other school. I’m not necessarily making a snap assessment but we have had a few guys come in from “big programs” who didn’t exactly light it up. I really hate when game announcers refer to some players as “blank school” transfer. Once a guy is on a new roster who cares where he played.
Your definition of success may be far different from each of those individuals who opted for the portal, but hey, from a fan perspective, I do get your point.

AppSt94

Unread post by AppSt94 » Thu Jan 27, 2022 12:31 pm

bigdaddyg wrote:
Here is App’s portal adds. Removed one year guys from the equation.

2019:
Roof starter

2020:
Pinckney ?

2021:
Helms starter
Small contributor (no longer with team)
Brice. starter

AtlAppMan

Unread post by AtlAppMan » Thu Jan 27, 2022 12:35 pm

My simple interpretation of Clark's position is, "We will continue to heavily rely on our HS recruiting but in some circumstances, probably for very specific situations, will also use the portal to supplement HS recruiting where we can". That seems very logical to me and probably follows most highly successful coaches building lasting programs, not the ones looking for quick short term fixes.

AtlAppMan

Unread post by AtlAppMan » Thu Jan 27, 2022 12:36 pm

AppSt94 wrote:
Thu Jan 27, 2022 12:31 pm
bigdaddyg wrote:

2019:
Roof starter

2020:
Pinckney ?

2021:
Helms starter
Brice. starter
What is the story around the one year guys? Just to complete the picture.

BUTCH1991

Unread post by BUTCH1991 » Thu Jan 27, 2022 1:12 pm

AppSt94 wrote:
bigdaddyg wrote:

2019:
Roof starter

2020:
Pinckney ?

2021:
Helms starter
Brice. starter
Throw Cone in as a success in '21, but list Head as a complete bust for '21. Also had Chestnut & Jahmir Smith last year - didn't expect anything from Chestnut and would lean toward Smith being a tiny contributor last season.

AppSt94

Unread post by AppSt94 » Thu Jan 27, 2022 2:02 pm

BUTCH1991 wrote:
Thu Jan 27, 2022 1:12 pm
AppSt94 wrote:
bigdaddyg wrote:

2019:
Roof starter

2020:
Pinckney ?

2021:
Helms starter
Brice. starter
Throw Cone in as a success in '21, but list Head as a complete bust for '21. Also had Chestnut & Jahmir Smith last year - didn't expect anything from Chestnut and would lean toward Smith being a tiny contributor last season.
Chestnut was a walk on. Hence his exclusion. I wouldn’t label Head a bust, rather a waste. We never should have signed him given the undisclosed issues with his health.

Stonewall

Unread post by Stonewall » Mon Nov 14, 2022 6:11 pm

We might just need to do a better job in the portal.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Appalachian Football”