Here is the link to the fall sports streaming schedule.

https://appstatesports.com/news/2023/8/ ... edule.aspx

Did I read the Box Score correctly?

JCline0429

Did I read the Box Score correctly?

Unread post by JCline0429 » Sat Apr 20, 2013 8:17 pm

There were 17 sacks :?: :?:
Either we are getting our money's worth out of the ex-Wofford defensive coach or our OL's need a ton of work in the pass blocking areas or possibly we just haven't adjusted to the Pistol scenario. No rushing or passing TD's? This sounds like our defenses of the Sparky Woods era.
Did Price play at all? Did Jamal?
a.k.a JC0429

vegattk

Re: Did I read the Box Score correctly?

Unread post by vegattk » Sat Apr 20, 2013 8:18 pm

JCline0429 wrote:There were 17 sacks :?: :?:
Either we are getting our money's worth out of the ex-Wofford defensive coach or our OL's need a ton of work in the pass blocking areas or possibly we just haven't adjusted to the Pistol scenario. No rushing or passing TD's? This sounds like our defenses of the Sparky Woods era.
The defense looked really good... But you have to remember that the refs blew the whistle even at the hint of a QB being touched. There were many times that they were about to scramble and the play was called dead.
One game does not a postseason make.
More App Games > Less App Games

firemoose
School: Appalachian State

Unread post by firemoose » Sat Apr 20, 2013 8:27 pm

"Sack" is a bit of a reach. The Ref's were blowing the play dead if a finger touched a QB. When I played it had to be two hands but the coaches must have told them to blow it quick. Price did play, Jamal did not. Price caught a few but most throws were in close. It was windy and the split O'line wasn't giving much time for route running plus we were running simple sets since the QB was not a factor. D was better than the O though, as is usually the case in games like this. Games like this can mean something when you play a Pro Set but for option or spread teams these don't mean as much since you can't open up the playbook.

mtnjax

Unread post by mtnjax » Sat Apr 20, 2013 9:05 pm

Like has been said, the "sacks" were inflated because of the nature of the game. I would say that there were probably 8 legit sacks. One thing that was irritating to me was that a couple of passes were actually completed (some nicely set up screens included) that were whistled dead because of a "sack". I wish they had let those passes be completed just to see what would have happened

JCline0429

Unread post by JCline0429 » Sat Apr 20, 2013 9:55 pm

So, really we couldn't tell much about our offense due to the ground rules set forth to protect our QB's. Is that the jist of what you guys are saying? If that be the case , I'd rather the ground rules be as such than to lose another QB's effectiveness due to injury given our apparent lack of depth and experience at that position.
a.k.a JC0429

mtnjax

Unread post by mtnjax » Sat Apr 20, 2013 10:57 pm

JCline0429 wrote:So, really we couldn't tell much about our offense due to the ground rules set forth to protect our QB's. Is that the jist of what you guys are saying? If that be the case , I'd rather the ground rules be as such than to lose another QB's effectiveness due to injury given our apparent lack of depth and experience at that position.
pretty much. plays were stopped because of "sacks" when they really would have been positive gains. Kalik would have had a couple of big runs if not for being touched

asu1978

Unread post by asu1978 » Sun Apr 21, 2013 6:19 am

This only had PARTS of a real game.Some of the offense & defense had some serious plays and hits,but the name of the game was to PROTECT THE QB.Weather was breezy but nice.Let's face it,it was a way to deal with the lack of football & tailgating. :lol: P.S. The view from Canyons(Holly's) was fantastic!

87ASUgrad

Unread post by 87ASUgrad » Sun Apr 21, 2013 8:47 am

Yes, looked to me as OL needs a ton of work. QBs were running for their life most of the time. Hallock was getting very low snaps all day for the Black team. Some actualy rolled to him and when he looked back up the DL was in his face. Barnes could have used some rollerskates on the Gold team to get away from Deuce. OL needs work.
Give Em Hell!!

appelect

Unread post by appelect » Sun Apr 21, 2013 10:20 am

SACK is really a streach. If they even got close the ref blew the whistle. Cant really take away anything from yesterdays game the way it was played except our punter(s) need alot of work!

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Appalachian Football”