MAF - Yosef Town Hall 2/16

coachprouty
School: Appalachian State

MAF - Yosef Town Hall 2/16

Unread post by coachprouty » Thu Feb 17, 2022 8:00 am

Thoughts from anyone that attended?

I thought they did a good job of explaining the challenges they are facing and making the case for 2022 and beyond changes to Yosef/Ticketing. Also, hinted at some news coming up for a future opponent?
App. Alum '10 '22
Section 207

BambooRdApp

Re: MAF - Yosef Town Hall 2/16

Unread post by BambooRdApp » Thu Feb 17, 2022 8:18 am

Agreed.
Thought they did good job clarifying the 2023 changes coming.

In personal note, I like playing the money games like Penn State and others. Hopefully, the comment about not needing those money games means we will still continue to play P5 but more regional opponents. Personally, I would not like if our our of conference schedule is just other G5 schools. I realize we have P5s scheduled in future and hopefully that will not change. I just hope that reference did not mean we are not planning to schedule more P5s in the future other than what we have already slated to play in the future. This may not have been the meaning.
Today I Give My All For Appalachian State!!
#FreeMillerHillForMoMoney!!
#SleeveStripesWereTheBomb!!
#99ForPresident!!

TractorApp

Unread post by TractorApp » Thu Feb 17, 2022 9:41 am

I no longer see Wake Forest and South Carolina listed as future OOC opponents. Have I missed something, or are they not listed because there are no firm dates? Also, did we just negotiate an out for Wisconsin?

AppSt94

Unread post by AppSt94 » Thu Feb 17, 2022 9:44 am

TractorApp wrote:
Thu Feb 17, 2022 9:41 am
I no longer see Wake Forest and South Carolina listed as future OOC opponents. Have I missed something, or are they not listed because there are no firm dates? Also, did we just negotiate an out for Wisconsin?
Wisconsin was cancelled. No reschedule. Wake chose to play ODU in 2020. That one will likely get rescheduled. South Carolina is still listed on FBS Schedule.com

mike87

Unread post by mike87 » Thu Feb 17, 2022 9:56 am

Aren't money games the ones where we go to them and they don't come to us in return? I take the fewer money games to mean we are looking for home and home with the P5's rather than one and done's.

T-Dog

Unread post by T-Dog » Thu Feb 17, 2022 10:36 am

There's been hints of an "exciting new opponent" since late last year. I know these take time, but I'd rather not be teased about it.

BambooRdApp

Unread post by BambooRdApp » Thu Feb 17, 2022 11:02 am

T-Dog wrote:
Thu Feb 17, 2022 10:36 am
There's been hints of an "exciting new opponent" since late last year. I know these take time, but I'd rather not be teased about it.
If it is another home and home with P5, would be great to advertise as it may make it easier for some to digest the increases coming in 2023 as well as a 3 year commitment...
#99ForPresident!!

spacemonkey

Unread post by spacemonkey » Thu Feb 17, 2022 11:15 am

I have always thought of our p5 money game like a bowl game. Visit a new city, have fun and a really good challenge for our school. If they can get home and home more power to them. If a Notre Dame or UCLA or Stanford or Michigan calls (Nationally recognized schools), I would hope we would listen to a money game. It is great for exposure and that should be half of why the school puts money in our team. Exposure for the school. Duke, NCState, SC, Wake should be home and home. I hate to admit it but UNC would probably fall in Nationally recognized football but because of basketball.

bigdaddyg

Unread post by bigdaddyg » Thu Feb 17, 2022 11:30 am

Obviously you never can tell how a P5 “money” game will pan out as those games are scheduled years in advance and those opponents could stink or be really good- UNC and SC were down a bit versus Clemson a few years back was really good. That being said generally speaking if we have a solid P5 on the schedule that is drivable for most App fans isn’t that really better than our typical bowl game? If our bowl opportunities increase to include P5’s more than likely those teams would be in the 7-5 range and the venue could be a plane ride away during the holidays. Personally I would choose to drive to Charlottesville or Columbia in September versus flying to Orlando in December. Folks get so hung up on a bowl game that has 18,000 fans and is played on a Thursday night. Even last year’s Thursday night game V ECU was more exciting than the bowl game. The CCU game was absolutely at a higher level.

appgrad95&97

Unread post by appgrad95&97 » Thu Feb 17, 2022 11:45 am

Maybe the P5 is done with the G5.

BambooRdApp

Unread post by BambooRdApp » Thu Feb 17, 2022 11:47 am

The only exception to me is if we were a NY6 selection. I take that over a regional P5 8 days a week. With that said, we would have had to best one or two P5s probably to get there...so one of those would be a regional
#99ForPresident!!

EastHallApp

Unread post by EastHallApp » Thu Feb 17, 2022 12:24 pm

mike87 wrote:
Thu Feb 17, 2022 9:56 am
Aren't money games the ones where we go to them and they don't come to us in return? I take the fewer money games to mean we are looking for home and home with the P5's rather than one and done's.
I didn't watch last night, but this has been my understanding. Obviously that greatly reduces the field of potential P5 opponents. It's a fine idea in theory; we'll see who we can actually get on the schedule.

Stonewall

Unread post by Stonewall » Thu Feb 17, 2022 2:50 pm

It has been no secret that we are looking for home and homes going forward.

WASU 93

Unread post by WASU 93 » Thu Feb 17, 2022 5:09 pm

EastHallApp wrote:
Thu Feb 17, 2022 12:24 pm
mike87 wrote:
Thu Feb 17, 2022 9:56 am
I didn't watch last night, but this has been my understanding. Obviously that greatly reduces the field of potential P5 opponents. It's a fine idea in theory; we'll see who we can actually get on the schedule.
Unless the well has dried up and the major P5’s would rather schedule Georgia State or Georgia Southern instead of a potential loss.

The one disadvantage we have in home and homes is unlike a Florida School or Georgia State or Charlotte, we don’t offer a chance to play in front of potential recruits. We’ll need to play up the tourist destination for visiting fans and may need to provide a visitors’ tailgate lot and shuttle service.

Stonewall

Unread post by Stonewall » Fri Feb 18, 2022 8:20 am

The upcoming fall schedule may look quite a bit different than expected.

bigdaddyg

Unread post by bigdaddyg » Fri Feb 18, 2022 9:08 am

If we can secure more fairly local home and away deals with good P5’s- like closer ACC teams and even an occasional SEC that would instantly sell out KBS isn’t that really financially better than flying the crew to College Station? If we get $1m to go there how much do we net? I’m assuming the team has to bus to Charlotte, fly out on a Friday, spend the night, eat several meals and come back. Those costs have got to be close to if not more than $100k. Even if we end up with a 2 for 1 with a UNC, SC or Wake don’t we come out better with the huge gate and concession sales? Those closer P5 return games basically involves a bus ride often the day of the game- to Winston or Chapel Hill or even Columbia.

Appmountaineers19
School: Other

Unread post by Appmountaineers19 » Fri Feb 18, 2022 9:38 am

bigdaddyg wrote:
Fri Feb 18, 2022 9:08 am
If we can secure more fairly local home and away deals with good P5’s- like closer ACC teams and even an occasional SEC that would instantly sell out KBS isn’t that really financially better than flying the crew to College Station? If we get $1m to go there how much do we net? I’m assuming the team has to bus to Charlotte, fly out on a Friday, spend the night, eat several meals and come back. Those costs have got to be close to if not more than $100k. Even if we end up with a 2 for 1 with a UNC, SC or Wake don’t we come out better with the huge gate and concession sales? Those closer P5 return games basically involves a bus ride often the day of the game- to Winston or Chapel Hill or even Columbia.
I hope we can too but I don't think there's anything in it for P5's especially when recruiting is involved in state or neighboring states. P5's have more to lose and would rather schedule cupcakes.

AppSt94

Unread post by AppSt94 » Fri Feb 18, 2022 9:40 am

bigdaddyg wrote:
I think that is the premise behind the pay games. Sure the payday looks great but that compensation comes in the form of tickets (non cash) and the travel.

FYI- They charter out of Hickory but your point stands.

bigdaddyg

Unread post by bigdaddyg » Fri Feb 18, 2022 11:23 am

Appmountaineers19 wrote:
Fri Feb 18, 2022 9:38 am
bigdaddyg wrote:
I hope we can too but I don't think there's anything in it for P5's especially when recruiting is involved in state or neighboring states. P5's have more to lose and would rather schedule cupcakes.
Totally agree. What I laid out would be great even it means being on the odd side of the 2 for 1 but in reality any good P5 within 200 miles of Boone has no real need to play us. The recruiting aspect, the very real opportunity to lose to us and the schedule spot that a cupcake would have taken are all reasons not to play us. We are really in a tough spot. Scheduling a home FCS and low to middling G5 might sell tickets but it does little for a NY6 resume. Flying to Wisconsin or Texas gets us some much needed cash but does nothing for recruiting in those areas. If we knock off A&M next year are any blue chip Texas recruits gonna flip to us? Doubtful. I really think the reality will be for us to schedule at least 3 strong G5’s each year, preferably an ECU, Charlotte (assuming they improve) or some other regional strong program like a Western Kentucky.

EastHallApp

Unread post by EastHallApp » Fri Feb 18, 2022 11:47 am

bigdaddyg wrote:
I don't know the answer to this, but the point I always make is that whenever we schedule a road buy game, part of that windfall is also offset by having to schedule an FCS home buy game.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Appalachian Football”