Here is the link to the fall sports streaming schedule.

https://appstatesports.com/news/2023/8/ ... edule.aspx

I want to know

pop5app
School: Appalachian State

Re: I want to know

Unread post by pop5app » Tue Sep 06, 2022 5:50 pm

Well well well! It won’t change anything but here’s what I see. I don’t know if the Clark hire was lazy but we bought the coach we could afford at the time. I’m pulling for him. However the team has not performed to the level I want. Our last 2/3 games have been very very very bad. Last year was weak, IMHO. We have not performed well against teams that we are perceived to be equal too or slightly inferior too. Stars and ratings aside, I fear our recruiting has slipped pack to fcs level. Not calling for anyone to be fired but it’ll be hard to suffer thru a season of games where the other team scores 50 points on a regular basis. Hope, we don’t go 5-7 but we could be headed in that direction. I’ll gladly eat crow, if wrong. I wish the rules had not changed (NIL PORTAL) because I fear we can no longer compete and the future looks even worse. You will need a lot of money to compete and we don’t have any.

Seattleapp

Unread post by Seattleapp » Tue Sep 06, 2022 5:58 pm

pop5app wrote:
Tue Sep 06, 2022 5:50 pm
Well well well! It won’t change anything but here’s what I see. I don’t know if the Clark hire was lazy but we bought the coach we could afford at the time. I’m pulling for him. However the team has not performed to the level I want. Our last 2/3 games have been very very very bad. Last year was weak, IMHO. We have not performed well against teams that we are perceived to be equal too or slightly inferior too. Stars and ratings aside, I fear our recruiting has slipped pack to fcs level. Not calling for anyone to be fired but it’ll be hard to suffer thru a season of games where the other team scores 50 points on a regular basis. Hope, we don’t go 5-7 but we could be headed in that direction. I’ll gladly eat crow, if wrong. I wish the rules had not changed (NIL PORTAL) because I fear we can no longer compete and the future looks even worse. You will need a lot of money to compete and we don’t have any.
Oh good Lord! Hyperbole much? A season of regular 50 point games? A 5-7 record and we have fcs players now? Oh and we can no longer compete because we have no money. I’d relish the hope you are a troll as I cannot fathom an App fan spewing such nonsense

bigdaddyg

Unread post by bigdaddyg » Tue Sep 06, 2022 6:02 pm

Seattleapp wrote:
Tue Sep 06, 2022 5:58 pm
pop5app wrote:
Oh good Lord! Hyperbole much? A season of regular 50 point games? A 5-7 record and we have fcs players now? Oh and we can no longer compete because we have no money. I’d relish the hope you are a troll as I cannot fathom an App fan spewing such nonsense
Might have been about the dumbest post in a while. New leader in the clubhouse

Seattleapp

Unread post by Seattleapp » Tue Sep 06, 2022 6:42 pm

bigdaddyg wrote:
Tue Sep 06, 2022 6:02 pm
Seattleapp wrote:
pop5app wrote:
Might have been about the dumbest post in a while. New leader in the clubhouse
I mean come on

NattyBumppo'sRevenge

Unread post by NattyBumppo'sRevenge » Tue Sep 06, 2022 6:55 pm

I was just disappointed we were going to be 13-1 this year.

Saint3333

Unread post by Saint3333 » Tue Sep 06, 2022 8:00 pm

If you need to be a college football coach to post on a message board then shut this place down now.

When your logic is flawed and you’re called out it on this is called deflection and so many have fallen for it.

mountaineerman

Unread post by mountaineerman » Tue Sep 06, 2022 8:08 pm

Saint3333 wrote:
Tue Sep 06, 2022 8:00 pm
If you need to be a college football coach to post on a message board then shut this place down now.

When your logic is flawed and you’re called out it on this is called deflection and so many have fallen for it.
Nothing pop 5 said has been proven wrong… we were a few points away in home games last year from being 8 and 6 and embarrassed in the bowl game. I do think with a adjustment on the defense this team could be amazing.

WASU 93

Unread post by WASU 93 » Tue Sep 06, 2022 8:32 pm

Let's look at our last 11 games, instead of our last 3:

Lost of Louisiana 41-13 on an embarrassing day, when we lost the turnover battle 4-1
came back and beat Coastal 31-30 (team bounced back from defeat, we had a great game plan for McCall in the second half.
Went up 49-7 on ULM at halftime (didn't come out flat) and won 59-28
Walked away from Ark. State 48-14 (Jones had 3 picks)
Beat South Alabama 31-7
Spotted Troy a 7-3 lead, then beat Troy 45-7. (Clinched the East)
Shutout GaSo in the first half and beat them 31-3
Played from behind in the Championship game. Stopped Louisiana on Downs on their final drive. Advanced the ball to midfield, was sacked and lost the fumble on a potential game-tying drive. Lost 24-16
Lost the turnover battle 4-1, and couldn't keep up with Zappe. Lost 59-38

Essentially played Carolina toe-to-toe. (They have every advantage in $$$, NIL and Number of Stars, Media and we are at worst, even with their team this year) Despite losing an early lead and giving up 31 straight points (yes, that sucks), the team stuck together, the defense made enough plays to allow a comeback and we had a chance to win and and chance to tie in the final 31 seconds. Players didn't quit on the coach, coaches didn't quit on the players, Fans didn't leave early and supported the team.

We have corrections to make, but we are not in shambles. We are also not on Coach #4 since 2018 and our culture is strong. We don't lose starters to the portal and our recruits generally stick with the program, if they can handle the culture and the work ethic. Players like Brice and McBride want to come be a part of our program, we have Super Seniors who want to stick around and players like Harrington keep coming back and the younger Sutton's and Hennigan's want to play where their brothers did.

i think we have a lot of positives in Clark and the coaching staff (which rotates annually, due to budgetary constraints).

.....and beating us has Mack Brown dancing in a G5 locker room
.....and the UNCC message board has basically conceded that they will lose any recruit to us or ECU, because we have a winning culture vs. their players dancing and laughing on the sideline as the are getting their butts handed to them by FCS William and Mary. (Even in a situation where they are going AAC (so what) and should have access to big city corporate sponsors, NIL and media, they can't come close to competing with us.)

You can ask questions, and you are certainly entitled to your opinion, but it could be a helluva lot worse.

Seattleapp

Unread post by Seattleapp » Tue Sep 06, 2022 8:33 pm

mountaineerman wrote:
Tue Sep 06, 2022 8:08 pm
Saint3333 wrote:

Nothing pop 5 said has been proven wrong… we were a few points away in home games last year from being 8 and 6 and embarrassed in the bowl game. I do think with a adjustment on the defense this team could be amazing.
You could apply that to any game ever. After being in kidd brewer Saturday anyone who thinks we are on a downward spiral is ignorant at best. Yeah we lost to wku. Sure we’ve been to a bowl every year we’ve been eligible and had won every bowl game up until that point, but we lost so that’s a wrap. Put a fork in us. Sure UNC has nothing but 4 and 5 star players and we were a 2 point conversion from winning but nah the program is clearly on the wrong track. I mean some of these takes are absurd

Seattleapp

Unread post by Seattleapp » Tue Sep 06, 2022 8:36 pm

WASU 93 wrote:
Tue Sep 06, 2022 8:32 pm
Let's look at our last 11 games, instead of our last 3:

Lost of Louisiana 41-13 on an embarrassing day, when we lost the turnover battle 4-1
came back and beat Coastal 31-30 (team bounced back from defeat, we had a great game plan for McCall in the second half.
Went up 49-7 on ULM at halftime (didn't come out flat) and won 59-28
Walked away from Ark. State 48-14 (Jones had 3 picks)
Beat South Alabama 31-7
Spotted Troy a 7-3 lead, then beat Troy 45-7. (Clinched the East)
Shutout GaSo in the first half and beat them 31-3
Played from behind in the Championship game. Stopped Louisiana on Downs on their final drive. Advanced the ball to midfield, was sacked and lost the fumble on a potential game-tying drive. Lost 24-16
Lost the turnover battle 4-1, and couldn't keep up with Zappe. Lost 59-38

Essentially played Carolina toe-to-toe. (They have every advantage in $$$, NIL and Number of Stars, Media and we are at worst, even with their team this year) Despite losing an early lead and giving up 31 straight points (yes, that sucks), the team stuck together, the defense made enough plays to allow a comeback and we had a chance to win and and chance to tie in the final 31 seconds. Players didn't quit on the coach, coaches didn't quit on the players, Fans didn't leave early and supported the team.

We have corrections to make, but we are not in shambles. We are also not on Coach #4 since 2018 and our culture is strong. We don't lose starters to the portal and our recruits generally stick with the program, if they can handle the culture and the work ethic. Players like Brice and McBride want to come be a part of our program, we have Super Seniors who want to stick around and players like Harrington keep coming back and the younger Sutton's and Hennigan's want to play where their brothers did.

i think we have a lot of positives in Clark and the coaching staff (which rotates annually, due to budgetary constraints).

.....and beating us has Mack Brown dancing in a G5 locker room
.....and the UNCC message board has basically conceded that they will lose any recruit to us or ECU, because we have a winning culture vs. their players dancing and laughing on the sideline as the are getting their butts handed to them by FCS William and Mary. (Even in a situation where they are going AAC (so what) and should have access to big city corporate sponsors, NIL and media, they can't come close to competing with us.)

You can ask questions, and you are certainly entitled to your opinion, but it could be a helluva lot worse.
I wish I could like this post more than once. Well stated

t4pizza

Unread post by t4pizza » Tue Sep 06, 2022 8:43 pm

Not true, our recruiting is far from FCS levels. We literally lost a really tight game to a P5 team, we didn't do that because we have FCS talent. Yes, I know we got that one P5 win in FBS (not counting all the Wake games because it was before real P5/G5 separation) but generally we lost by a lot more than 2 points. Our recruiting has been good but that doesn't mean we haven't had losses at position groups due to attrition, injuries, leaving football, graduation, etc. We need to all realize that we lost 6 or our 7 leading tacklers and 3 are on NFL rosters (including practice squads) the defense will take some time to get back to where we are accostom.

WASU 93

Unread post by WASU 93 » Tue Sep 06, 2022 8:57 pm

mountaineerman wrote:
Saint3333 wrote:

I get your logic, however Louisiana was a few points away from 8-6:
Beat Nicholls 27-24 at home
Beat South Alabama 20-18 on the road. (we beat them by 24)
Beat Arkansas State 28-27 on the road. (we beat them by 34)
Beat Georgia State 21-17 at home. (we beat them by 29)
Beat UL Monroe 21-16 at home. (we beat them by 31)

Close games happen every year.

Alabama was 6 points away from being 10-3 in the regular season and missing the playoffs:
Beat Florida by 2 and beat Auburn by 2 in 4 OT's.

mountaineerman

Unread post by mountaineerman » Tue Sep 06, 2022 9:01 pm

WASU 93 wrote:
Tue Sep 06, 2022 8:57 pm
mountaineerman wrote:
Saint3333 wrote:

I get your logic, however Louisiana was a few points away from 8-6:
Beat Nicholls 27-24 at home
Beat South Alabama 20-18 on the road. (we beat them by 24)
Beat Arkansas State 28-27 on the road. (we beat them by 34)
Beat Georgia State 21-17 at home. (we beat them by 29)
Beat UL Monroe 21-16 at home. (we beat them by 31)

Close games happen every year.

Alabama was 6 points away from being 10-3 in the regular season and missing the playoffs:
Beat Florida by 2 and beat Auburn by 2 in 4 OT's.
And I get your logic also but I will add we beat everyone we should have beat and lost to …. I’m encouraged by what I saw Saturday I haven’t seen the offense flow like it did in a while . It was amazing.

mountaineerman

Unread post by mountaineerman » Tue Sep 06, 2022 9:03 pm

I’ll add …not sure if anyone has said anything but our tight ends look the part gibbs and Pearson are big physical and fast. They were always in place .

Stonewall

Unread post by Stonewall » Tue Sep 06, 2022 9:15 pm

I was disappointed and very concerned after the two season ending stinkers.My opinion was and is that we underachieved .We needed an O line coach upgrade badly , in my opinion .Shawn agreed and I saw a huge difference Saturday .Frankly I think our overall athletic ability is at the highest level ever, and rising.If we can craft these athletes into a team of footballers , and it looks like we are half way there , lookout Sunbelt.

APPRIDE

Unread post by APPRIDE » Tue Sep 06, 2022 9:29 pm

Coach Clark sure does give a good interview

https://texags.com/forums/5/topics/3314003

BambooRdApp

Unread post by BambooRdApp » Tue Sep 06, 2022 9:29 pm

My personal opinion is that, if the young secondary gels, we win the East and the SBC Championship game. If they do not, we may continue to win, however, we cannot have a night off on offense. My reasoning is that I do not believe our D-Line will get pressure as in past....so secondary has got to cover for more seconds each play.

I realize this is going to sound crazy... however, I believe we try to stop run Saturday and make them pass. I do not believe this QB is as accurate as Maye....so we man up like last weekend...but follow the program and make proper reads...just my opinion...there is a reason I sit in the stands,😂
Today I Give My All For Appalachian State!!
#FreeMillerHillForMoMoney!!
#SleeveStripesWereTheBomb!!
#99ForPresident!!

appstatealum

Unread post by appstatealum » Tue Sep 06, 2022 9:57 pm

Seattleapp wrote:
pop5app wrote:
Yeah we can point out some things we'd all like to see improve, but saying our recruiting has gone to an "fcs level" is a bit extreme. App is still a national brand and Clark, while not a popular name nationally, still has plenty of rope to show us how he can grow a program. Time will tell. I personally wouldn't be surprised to see a competitive game Saturday when I travel to Texas. Should be fun.
The Appalachian State

appstatealum

Unread post by appstatealum » Tue Sep 06, 2022 9:59 pm

mountaineerman wrote:
Tue Sep 06, 2022 9:03 pm
I’ll add …not sure if anyone has said anything but our tight ends look the part gibbs and Pearson are big physical and fast. They were always in place .
Pearson is ridiculously underrated. He's always impressed me.
The Appalachian State

appstatealum

Unread post by appstatealum » Tue Sep 06, 2022 10:07 pm

Stonewall wrote:
Tue Sep 06, 2022 9:15 pm
I was disappointed and very concerned after the two season ending stinkers.My opinion was and is that we underachieved .We needed an O line coach upgrade badly , in my opinion .Shawn agreed and I saw a huge difference Saturday .Frankly I think our overall athletic ability is at the highest level ever, and rising.If we can craft these athletes into a team of footballers , and it looks like we are half way there , lookout Sunbelt.
Great take. I see a shift happening, and while I went on record about the secondary and WRs (still pulling vitriol splinters out of my ass), the more I think about it, Clark could possibly be building this program back to our "niche". Our offensive line was very impressive Saturday and at times, I loved seeing our defense swarming to the ball like years past. Maybe some of you are right, maybe we have recruited some shifty and quick recievers that can be great chess pieces for Barbay. I'm skewing more towards a little excitement. We just dropped 61 pts on a p5 recruited team. Maybe Carolina is bad, maybe we are just really good. Let's see
The Appalachian State

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Appalachian Football”