Slop on the rock

ASU843
Posts: 53
Joined: Sat Oct 26, 2019 3:10 pm
School: Appalachian State
Has thanked: 128 times
Been thanked: 32 times

Re: Slop on the rock

Unread post by ASU843 » Mon Sep 26, 2022 3:43 pm

NewApp wrote:
Sun Sep 25, 2022 3:14 pm
Mjohn1988 wrote:
Sun Sep 25, 2022 2:31 pm
I don’t think our coaches pulled back our offense. The JMU coaches and players dictated what our offense could do and we didn’t take advantage of what we could have and should have done. Late in the 2nd quarter JMU started blitzing on almost ever play. They sent backers, corners and safety’s. It was mostly to keep us from being able to throw the long ball but it also effected the running lanes. The solution is to throw short passes in the lactation vacated by the blitzing players. We’ve all heard it, take what the defense give you. Well we didn’t. Their coaches adapted, our coaches failed to adapt. This loss was a flat out coaching failure.
How many tackles did the coaches miss? How many holding penalties did they get? How many passes did they drop? How many blocking assignments did they miss? How many sacks did they allow?

Some of you guys like Vegas odds. The streamer boys were picked to win yesterday. And they did.
The answer is none. That's not their job!

GSUwasGump’sFallbackSchool
Posts: 96
Joined: Sun Oct 10, 2021 7:16 pm
School: Appalachian State
Has thanked: 104 times
Been thanked: 66 times

Re: Slop on the rock

Unread post by GSUwasGump’sFallbackSchool » Mon Sep 26, 2022 3:47 pm

MrCraig wrote:
Mon Sep 26, 2022 9:46 am
yosef69 wrote:
Mon Sep 26, 2022 9:41 am
MrCraig wrote:
Mon Sep 26, 2022 9:39 am
yosef69 wrote:
Mon Sep 26, 2022 9:27 am
MrCraig wrote:
Mon Sep 26, 2022 9:23 am


Because 99% of the people who criticize coaches have never coached any sport at any level. The other team tries to win too. Sometimes they make better adjustments and win. App is 2-2 with a top 10 P5 win (and technically 1-0 in conference), and y'all act like we should just close up shop and try again next year. Get a grip. I'm not sure some of y'all even like App State.
What a stupid comment.

Doesn’t take a rocket scientist to know that when a rocket blows up, someone messed up.

And I love app state and want it to be as good as possible. Not mediocre.
What if App wins the rest of their games? What if they win the Sun Belt and their bowl game? Who will have the stupid comments then, me or the folks screaming that the sky is falling in week 4?
The same exact commenters who are despondent over this week's loss were the exact same commenters who were saying "Fire Ted Roof" after 2 games (both wins) in 2019.
If you can’t see that this wasn’t your run of the mill loss, I can’t say anything else to change your mind. It was 28-3 with 6 minutes left in the third quarter. It was an FCS call up. We were in the spotlight.

Give it up. It was a bad, bad loss.
I didn't say it wasn't a bad loss. I'm saying one loss isn't worth someone losing their job. App has had some bad losses in the past. 41-14 to ULL last year was a bad loss. Do you know what happened the next six games after that? We've got a lot of football left to play. If we lose 6-7 games and continue to see these same problems at the end of the season THEN we coaching changes need to be considered.
You’re refusing to accept what’s happening right in front of your eyes. “What if they win out and win their bowl,” is something we haven’t done in the previous two seasons under this staff when this exact thing happened. Actually this exact thing hasn’t happened yet, since this loss is so much worse than any in the previous 2 year.

That’s like saying “it’s not that Santa doesn’t exist, it’s just that I haven’t seen him coming down my chimney yet.” The “detractors” are just the ones who acknowledged the concerning trends of the Clark era, and prefer App not sink into mediocrity.

If a miracle does happen, and hell freezes over, and a team that’s not coached well enough to put away an FCS call up finds a way to win @ Marshall, Coastal, and Southern then win the CCG, I’ll happily eat the most crow anyone’s ever eaten.

User avatar
AppGrad78
Posts: 4121
Joined: Fri Jan 20, 2006 8:33 pm
School: Appalachian State
Location: Born: Waynesville, NC; Resides: Greensboro, NC
Has thanked: 2797 times
Been thanked: 885 times

Re: Slop on the rock

Unread post by AppGrad78 » Mon Sep 26, 2022 7:46 pm

To correct yosef69, the score was 28-10 at the half.

appstate5
Posts: 340
Joined: Wed Aug 21, 2019 9:45 am
School: Appalachian State
Has thanked: 101 times
Been thanked: 161 times

Re: Slop on the rock

Unread post by appstate5 » Mon Sep 26, 2022 8:43 pm

UNC scored 34 unanswered on us and JMU scored 29 unanswered on us. Offense can't afford to go conservative this year with our defensive issues.

User avatar
wb247
Posts: 211
Joined: Wed Aug 15, 2012 2:55 pm
School: Appalachian State
Has thanked: 70 times
Been thanked: 67 times
Contact:

Re: Slop on the rock

Unread post by wb247 » Mon Sep 26, 2022 8:59 pm

ArmantiWaterSafety wrote:
Mon Sep 26, 2022 7:47 am
I personally want to embarrass every single opponent we play.
Yep. That's what, "sandpaper their asses," means to me...

PhillyApp1
Posts: 865
Joined: Sun Aug 12, 2012 11:52 am
Has thanked: 1108 times
Been thanked: 288 times

Re: Slop on the rock

Unread post by PhillyApp1 » Thu Sep 29, 2022 2:01 am

wb247 wrote:
Mon Sep 26, 2022 8:59 pm
ArmantiWaterSafety wrote:
Mon Sep 26, 2022 7:47 am
I personally want to embarrass every single opponent we play.
Yep. That's what, "sandpaper their asses," means to me...
Omg
I forgot about "sandpaper their ass"

Because...... in the last 6-7 games( jmu, Troy, unc, wku, uL) I saw it once in Texas

MrCraig
Posts: 583
Joined: Fri Jun 16, 2017 8:27 am
School: Appalachian State
Has thanked: 420 times
Been thanked: 509 times

Re: Slop on the rock

Unread post by MrCraig » Thu Sep 29, 2022 7:19 am

PhillyApp1 wrote:
Thu Sep 29, 2022 2:01 am
wb247 wrote:
Mon Sep 26, 2022 8:59 pm
ArmantiWaterSafety wrote:
Mon Sep 26, 2022 7:47 am
I personally want to embarrass every single opponent we play.
Yep. That's what, "sandpaper their asses," means to me...
Omg
I forgot about "sandpaper their ass"

Because...... in the last 6-7 games( jmu, Troy, unc, wku, uL) I saw it once in Texas
App State beat the opponent by 3 touchdowns or more in literally half of their games last year.

User avatar
App91
Posts: 3755
Joined: Mon Mar 14, 2005 12:28 pm
School: Appalachian State
Has thanked: 578 times
Been thanked: 420 times

Re: Slop on the rock

Unread post by App91 » Thu Sep 29, 2022 10:44 am

MrCraig wrote:
Thu Sep 29, 2022 7:19 am
PhillyApp1 wrote:
Thu Sep 29, 2022 2:01 am
wb247 wrote:
Mon Sep 26, 2022 8:59 pm
ArmantiWaterSafety wrote:
Mon Sep 26, 2022 7:47 am
I personally want to embarrass every single opponent we play.
Yep. That's what, "sandpaper their asses," means to me...
Omg
I forgot about "sandpaper their ass"

Because...... in the last 6-7 games( jmu, Troy, unc, wku, uL) I saw it once in Texas
App State beat the opponent by 3 touchdowns or more in literally half of their games last year.
You did notice that the statement was qualified to the last 6-7 games, correct?

User avatar
HkyMtneer
Posts: 880
Joined: Mon Aug 20, 2012 4:51 pm
School: Appalachian State
Location: Hickory, NC
Has thanked: 120 times
Been thanked: 322 times
Contact:

Re: Slop on the rock

Unread post by HkyMtneer » Thu Sep 29, 2022 10:50 am

PhillyApp1 wrote:
Thu Sep 29, 2022 2:01 am
wb247 wrote:
Mon Sep 26, 2022 8:59 pm
ArmantiWaterSafety wrote:
Mon Sep 26, 2022 7:47 am
I personally want to embarrass every single opponent we play.
Yep. That's what, "sandpaper their asses," means to me...
Omg
I forgot about "sandpaper their ass"

Because...... in the last 6-7 games( jmu, Troy, unc, wku, uL) I saw it once in Texas
"Sandpaper their asses" and "Bombs over Baghdad" -- way too much sportsmanship out of Clark for me. And I'm a SC fan. I want him to succeed and I want him to be here forever, a la Jerry Moore. BUT, the older I get the more I want to destroy every opponent on the football field. It's a game, it's not life, so if you can run up the score have fun and do it. If you get absolutely beat down sometimes, so be it. Again, it's not life, it's a game and you'll bounce back. Let's have fun and when you're a winner like us, go out there and win big every time you can. Offer the opponent a hand off the ground, kneel for an injury, and shake hands afterwards, but do everything you can to lay down a 100 every time out and keep the opponent to a big goose egg. You'll win a lot more of the games you should never loose or let teams back into with this philosophy. The bigger problem in the JMU game wasn't the offense, as stagnant as it was. It was Dale Jones 'D'. I know about the injuries and everything else but you just can't, you just can't, give up a 25 point lead in college football.

AppOrange
Posts: 1027
Joined: Wed Sep 09, 2015 7:28 pm
School: Appalachian State
Location: Raleigh
Has thanked: 783 times
Been thanked: 406 times
Contact:

Re: Slop on the rock

Unread post by AppOrange » Thu Sep 29, 2022 11:54 am

You don't blow a 25 point lead at home without everyone contributing. Offense, Defense, ST, coaching . . . pepper in some awful calls by the refs, and their you have it. No singular entity is to blame for the total meltdown, but everyone contributed. O keeps scoring, we win, D stops them more, we win, coaches stop the bleeding and adjust better, we win, hell, if that punt call is correct, we probably still win. This was a top 5 upset at home for me in 25 years of APP football and I am ashamed to say I am still not over it. This collapse was a truly a team effort.
1996

User avatar
appst89
Site Admin
Posts: 9624
Joined: Mon Jun 26, 2000 3:26 am
School: Appalachian State
Has thanked: 272 times
Been thanked: 1707 times

Re: Slop on the rock

Unread post by appst89 » Thu Sep 29, 2022 12:18 pm

AppOrange wrote:
Thu Sep 29, 2022 11:54 am
You don't blow a 25 point lead at home without everyone contributing. Offense, Defense, ST, coaching . . . pepper in some awful calls by the refs, and their you have it. No singular entity is to blame for the total meltdown, but everyone contributed. O keeps scoring, we win, D stops them more, we win, coaches stop the bleeding and adjust better, we win, hell, if that punt call is correct, we probably still win. This was a top 5 upset at home for me in 25 years of APP football and I am ashamed to say I am still not over it. This collapse was a truly a team effort.
Worst home loss in my 37 years of following App State football.

MrCraig
Posts: 583
Joined: Fri Jun 16, 2017 8:27 am
School: Appalachian State
Has thanked: 420 times
Been thanked: 509 times

Re: Slop on the rock

Unread post by MrCraig » Thu Sep 29, 2022 12:25 pm

App91 wrote:
Thu Sep 29, 2022 10:44 am
MrCraig wrote:
Thu Sep 29, 2022 7:19 am
PhillyApp1 wrote:
Thu Sep 29, 2022 2:01 am
wb247 wrote:
Mon Sep 26, 2022 8:59 pm
ArmantiWaterSafety wrote:
Mon Sep 26, 2022 7:47 am
I personally want to embarrass every single opponent we play.
Yep. That's what, "sandpaper their asses," means to me...
Omg
I forgot about "sandpaper their ass"

Because...... in the last 6-7 games( jmu, Troy, unc, wku, uL) I saw it once in Texas
App State beat the opponent by 3 touchdowns or more in literally half of their games last year.
You did notice that the statement was qualified to the last 6-7 games, correct?
Sure. My point is, you are handpicking a small sample size. If you look back to 2020 as well, App beat exactly half of their opponents by 3 or more touchdowns as well. So, over his career as head coach, Clark has applied rear to fine grit 50% of the time.
If I did this right (and please check my math, it's not my strong suit), Clark has a 21-9 record. 15 of those 21 wins have been by 3 touchdowns or more. So, only 6 games were won in a non-blowout fashion.

I think this supports my point that play calling doesn't really get "conservative." The opposing defense adjusts. Sometimes App adjusts back, and sometimes they don't.

Yosefus
Posts: 1361
Joined: Sat Sep 05, 2015 11:50 am
School: Appalachian State
Has thanked: 227 times
Been thanked: 495 times

Re: Slop on the rock

Unread post by Yosefus » Thu Sep 29, 2022 2:16 pm

I have had tons of heartburn since Saturday over the loss to JMU. After some time has passed to mull it over I still think JMU is one of the better teams we will face all year. Yes they are just moving up to FBS BUT they have been at the very top teir of FCS for years. We had some just ok years prior to moving up to FBS but have been in conference title contention nearly since the beginning. I'm shocked how we lost the game Saturday but not shocked at how well the Dukes played. It wouldn't surprise me if the ran the table in conference play same as the Stink did first season in Sunbelt. I'm not tooting the JMU horn, we should not have lost that game. It was the worst of worst timing for the wheels to slip off. I'm looking forward to seeing if we see a more determined team and coaches the rest of the season or we fade into what could be a disaster in November.

User avatar
App91
Posts: 3755
Joined: Mon Mar 14, 2005 12:28 pm
School: Appalachian State
Has thanked: 578 times
Been thanked: 420 times

Re: Slop on the rock

Unread post by App91 » Thu Sep 29, 2022 3:09 pm

MrCraig wrote:
Thu Sep 29, 2022 12:25 pm
App91 wrote:
Thu Sep 29, 2022 10:44 am
MrCraig wrote:
Thu Sep 29, 2022 7:19 am
PhillyApp1 wrote:
Thu Sep 29, 2022 2:01 am
wb247 wrote:
Mon Sep 26, 2022 8:59 pm


Yep. That's what, "sandpaper their asses," means to me...
Omg
I forgot about "sandpaper their ass"

Because...... in the last 6-7 games( jmu, Troy, unc, wku, uL) I saw it once in Texas
App State beat the opponent by 3 touchdowns or more in literally half of their games last year.
You did notice that the statement was qualified to the last 6-7 games, correct?
Sure. My point is, you are handpicking a small sample size. If you look back to 2020 as well, App beat exactly half of their opponents by 3 or more touchdowns as well. So, over his career as head coach, Clark has applied rear to fine grit 50% of the time.
If I did this right (and please check my math, it's not my strong suit), Clark has a 21-9 record. 15 of those 21 wins have been by 3 touchdowns or more. So, only 6 games were won in a non-blowout fashion.

I think this supports my point that play calling doesn't really get "conservative." The opposing defense adjusts. Sometimes App adjusts back, and sometimes they don't.
Hard to say that the most recent observations and outcomes are cherry picking. They are quite literally the most recent examples. I understand your thought but 2020 is ancient history and a completely different cast

AppOrange
Posts: 1027
Joined: Wed Sep 09, 2015 7:28 pm
School: Appalachian State
Location: Raleigh
Has thanked: 783 times
Been thanked: 406 times
Contact:

Re: Slop on the rock

Unread post by AppOrange » Thu Sep 29, 2022 3:40 pm

appst89 wrote:
Thu Sep 29, 2022 12:18 pm
AppOrange wrote:
Thu Sep 29, 2022 11:54 am
You don't blow a 25 point lead at home without everyone contributing. Offense, Defense, ST, coaching . . . pepper in some awful calls by the refs, and their you have it. No singular entity is to blame for the total meltdown, but everyone contributed. O keeps scoring, we win, D stops them more, we win, coaches stop the bleeding and adjust better, we win, hell, if that punt call is correct, we probably still win. This was a top 5 upset at home for me in 25 years of APP football and I am ashamed to say I am still not over it. This collapse was a truly a team effort.
Worst home loss in my 37 years of following App State football.
Yeah, it is up there, I'd still put the missed Illinois State XP up there ahead of it with the SFA loss and my personal #1, Wake Forest a few years ago, man I hated that.

This one would have had us primed for a ranking, a few weeks to get healthy and who knows what from a national perspective . . . instead, we set JMU up for a magical run their first year. uggg
Last edited by AppOrange on Fri Sep 30, 2022 9:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
1996

Yosef1986
Posts: 57
Joined: Thu Dec 13, 2018 9:08 pm
School: Appalachian State
Has thanked: 43 times
Been thanked: 47 times

Re: Slop on the rock

Unread post by Yosef1986 » Thu Sep 29, 2022 5:58 pm

I do not believe JMU had better players - they just wanted the game more and we opened to door for them. They played harder and wanted it more. We still seem to play to the level of the other team. No way JMU should hold us to points in only 1 quarter. I do believe we have the talent - experienced coaching etc.... Just need a team/coaching effort for 4 quarters Also, I do not believe we are so superior to our opponents that we need to let up and coast.

yikas1
Posts: 158
Joined: Wed Jul 12, 2017 6:34 pm
School: Appalachian State
Has thanked: 1 time
Been thanked: 123 times

Re: Slop on the rock

Unread post by yikas1 » Thu Sep 29, 2022 7:20 pm

What kind of crazy thread is this? People need to chill out. It's a long season and the boys need to develop. I swear our fans are like the Alabama fans of the Sun Belt. Spoiled.

User avatar
Rekdiver
Posts: 7031
Joined: Mon Aug 13, 2012 1:14 pm
School: Appalachian State
Has thanked: 1304 times
Been thanked: 3274 times

Re: Slop on the rock

Unread post by Rekdiver » Thu Sep 29, 2022 7:44 pm

It’s a game…..stuff happens. I’ve moved on.

Seattleapp
Posts: 1504
Joined: Thu Aug 30, 2012 3:00 am
School: Appalachian State
Has thanked: 3738 times
Been thanked: 1037 times

Re: Slop on the rock

Unread post by Seattleapp » Thu Sep 29, 2022 10:58 pm

Rekdiver wrote:
Thu Sep 29, 2022 7:44 pm
It’s a game…..stuff happens. I’ve moved on.
What’s wrong with you? Don’t you know you can never ever move on from a loss….ever. How else will people know you are a real fan if you aren’t endlessly bemoaning the team?

Seattleapp
Posts: 1504
Joined: Thu Aug 30, 2012 3:00 am
School: Appalachian State
Has thanked: 3738 times
Been thanked: 1037 times

Re: Slop on the rock

Unread post by Seattleapp » Thu Sep 29, 2022 10:59 pm

yikas1 wrote:
Thu Sep 29, 2022 7:20 pm
What kind of crazy thread is this? People need to chill out. It's a long season and the boys need to develop. I swear our fans are like the Alabama fans of the Sun Belt. Spoiled.
Try looking at the jmu thread. Like 33 pages of circular bitching

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Appalachian Football”