Here is the link to the fall sports streaming schedule.

https://appstatesports.com/news/2023/8/ ... edule.aspx

Turf V Grass

bigdaddyg
School: Appalachian State

Turf V Grass

Unread post by bigdaddyg » Thu Oct 27, 2022 10:32 am

Just read an article regarding the use of grass fields versus turf in the NFL. There is a cited stat showing a higher rate of non-contact injuries over a period of about 6 years for turf fields versus grass (about 28% higher). We have had some form of turf forever it seems. We seem to constantly have backs and receivers banged up. Does our field contribute to more leg injuries than might exist if we had a grass field? Obviously weather is the issue to preclude App from ever having natural grass- I assume.

GSUwasGump’sFallbackSchool

Re: Turf V Grass

Unread post by GSUwasGump’sFallbackSchool » Thu Oct 27, 2022 12:04 pm

I’m with you on weather and cost being the biggest issues for grass fields in Boone. Turf is so much cheaper, and multipurpose for other sports and clubs, that they’ll never go back. The injury statistics coming out in recent years is something tho.

Side note, isn’t the grass at State Farm like some hybrid that was created at App? Was awesome to play club sports on back in the day.

Howard Street Hooligan

Unread post by Howard Street Hooligan » Thu Oct 27, 2022 12:48 pm

GSUwasGump’sFallbackSchool wrote:
Thu Oct 27, 2022 12:04 pm
I’m with you on weather and cost being the biggest issues for grass fields in Boone. Turf is so much cheaper, and multipurpose for other sports and clubs, that they’ll never go back. The injury statistics coming out in recent years is something tho.

Side note, isn’t the grass at State Farm like some hybrid that was created at App? Was awesome to play club sports on back in the day.
if european soccer clubs in in much colder climates can handle it then so can colleges and pro teams in america. It's actually a joke they still play on turf.

311neers

Unread post by 311neers » Thu Oct 27, 2022 12:50 pm

Played 8 years straight on turf. 4 for hs football and 4 at App baseball. 4 years on natural grass for HS baseball. The turf just isnt forgiving enough and it's harder than grass. You have rock and gravel under turf as opposed to soft soil under grass. Thus leading to more lower body injuries in all sports and head injuries in football (slamming into harder turf). If you plant your foot on turf you are more prone with twists and tweaks/breaks as the ground wont give as much. If you plant and change directions on grass, the grass will either rip up/give and you will slip and fall as opposed to just tearing a ligament or twisting a knee/ankle.

Turf was fun because you're slightly faster on it, but definitely feel as it was more dangerous. However, weather and costs in Boone will keep everything turf for life.
PS- I loved when the players had to snowplow the baseball field to practice instead of going into Sofield. :lol:

311neers

Unread post by 311neers » Thu Oct 27, 2022 8:31 pm

cooper kupp just got interviewed about turf of grass.

“we should be playing on grass”

AppStateNews

Unread post by AppStateNews » Fri Oct 28, 2022 5:13 am

Howard Street Hooligan wrote:
Thu Oct 27, 2022 12:48 pm
GSUwasGump’sFallbackSchool wrote:
Thu Oct 27, 2022 12:04 pm

if european soccer clubs in in much colder climates can handle it then so can colleges and pro teams in america. It's actually a joke they still play on turf.
It's possible to keep alive. But, when we struggle with a budget as is, who is going to pay the 6 figure salary on a superintendent to keep the fields alive?

In our climate, that 6 figure would probably have to start with a 2. Plus all the costs of upkeep (equipment, chemicals, etc). Growing and maintaining athletic athletic fields isn't as simple as watering and mowing.

For all of our fields, it would easily be a minimum half a million a year.
tAPPedInSports.net

Not affiliated with the above website

NewApp

Unread post by NewApp » Fri Oct 28, 2022 5:43 am

AppStateNews...and I might add, tons of cheap labor available year round and I hope we don't have that.
NewApp formerly known as JCline
If you can't take it, don't dish it out.
Google SUX

bigdaddyg

Unread post by bigdaddyg » Fri Oct 28, 2022 6:14 am

Are we seeing lower body injuries with baseball, softball, soccer and field hockey? Baseball and softball are a must for turf fields or they would lose half of their games. I've seen some really nice high school football fields that stay looking good but those schools don't have an abundance of money.

appdaze

Unread post by appdaze » Fri Oct 28, 2022 6:15 am

Catawba Valley Community College has a turf management program. App does not. We should. We could focus on cold weather turf management and have people from all over the place coming to our program for that specialty.

AppStateNews

Unread post by AppStateNews » Fri Oct 28, 2022 6:21 am

bigdaddyg wrote:
Fri Oct 28, 2022 6:14 am
Are we seeing lower body injuries with baseball, softball, soccer and field hockey? Baseball and softball are a must for turf fields or they would lose half of their games. I've seen some really nice high school football fields that stay looking good but those schools don't have an abundance of money.
High school fields are usually kept up by volunteers/coaches.

Also, most high school fields may look nice, but are usually crap. Holes all over, more weeds than grass, etc. Trust me, as a former player, playing on a grass field is way better for your body. No doubt about it. But, in some climates, it's simply not possible. Hell, App can barely clear the sidewalks around campus with a small snow storm. They'd destroy a grass field trying to clear that off.

Not to mention likely having to re-grade the entire playing surface to get a better crown for drainage...
tAPPedInSports.net

Not affiliated with the above website

Rekdiver

Unread post by Rekdiver » Fri Oct 28, 2022 7:00 am

Fellas..there was never any soft soil beneath turf in Conrad aka Kidd-Brewer.

/\PP ST/\TE GRAD 09

Unread post by /\PP ST/\TE GRAD 09 » Fri Oct 28, 2022 7:09 am

NewApp wrote:
Fri Oct 28, 2022 5:43 am
AppStateNews...and I might add, tons of cheap labor available year round and I hope we don't have that.
Should we seek out the most expensive labor, or are you trying to say something else?
Twitter: @brosef_yosef

/\PP ST/\TE GRAD 09

Unread post by /\PP ST/\TE GRAD 09 » Fri Oct 28, 2022 7:11 am

AppStateNews wrote:
Fri Oct 28, 2022 6:21 am
bigdaddyg wrote:
Fri Oct 28, 2022 6:14 am
High school fields are usually kept up by volunteers/coaches.

Also, most high school fields may look nice, but are usually crap. Holes all over, more weeds than grass, etc. Trust me, as a former player, playing on a grass field is way better for your body. No doubt about it. But, in some climates, it's simply not possible. Hell, App can barely clear the sidewalks around campus with a small snow storm. They'd destroy a grass field trying to clear that off.

Not to mention likely having to re-grade the entire playing surface to get a better crown for drainage...
I volunteer coach football at the local/my former high school, and I agree. From the bleachers you think, wow that looks nice, but once you get on the field it's like driving on the New Jersey turnpike.

appgrouch
Location: In my seat, waiting for people to shut up and play.

Unread post by appgrouch » Fri Oct 28, 2022 8:15 am

A grass field that is properly maintained and engineered and is only used for games is the best field for football.
To get KBS to a grass field, you would probably have to dig down 3-4 feet to start the drainage and the building of the soil for the grass to take good hold.

There have been a number of times in the NFL that the players union have filed protests over the state of Grass fields for being unsafe.
Also you have to think about the amount of water it takes to keep that field growing. If things continue like they are out west, all the stadium may have to go to turf.

The turf field is good because it is consistent. It has come a long way from the outdoor carpet that it was in the 90's.
That's what I do. I gripe and I know things.

bigdaddyg

Unread post by bigdaddyg » Fri Oct 28, 2022 8:21 am

Good points. It would certainly take a huge effort to install and maintain grass. The pro turf is certainly better than the old stuff.

NewApp

Unread post by NewApp » Fri Oct 28, 2022 8:54 am

/\PP ST/\TE GRAD 09 wrote:
Fri Oct 28, 2022 7:09 am
NewApp wrote:
Should we seek out the most expensive labor, or are you trying to say something else?

Trying to say everyone, even college students need a living wage. Just don't feel we could afford that. Now if all we had to pay was college students' beer money and let Mom and Dad, scholarships, and college loans pay all the other expenses, then yes.
NewApp formerly known as JCline
If you can't take it, don't dish it out.
Google SUX

ArmantiWaterSafety

Unread post by ArmantiWaterSafety » Fri Oct 28, 2022 9:02 am

Having played baseball on natural dirt and grass and getting a number of bad hops into my general face area due to "volunteer" groundskeeping, bring on the turf.

Between our rain, snow, and freezing temperatures at least 1/3 of our football season, a natural field would be a disaster. Like others have said, I would guess it'd be a solid million dollars a year just for upkeep.

/\PP ST/\TE GRAD 09

Unread post by /\PP ST/\TE GRAD 09 » Fri Oct 28, 2022 9:36 am

NewApp wrote:
Fri Oct 28, 2022 8:54 am
NewApp wrote:

Trying to say everyone, even college students need a living wage. Just don't feel we could afford that. Now if all we had to pay was college students' beer money and let Mom and Dad, scholarships, and college loans pay all the other expenses, then yes.
I probably would have helped maintain the grounds for beer money and unlimited swipes at Trivette while I was in school haha.

appgrouch

Unread post by appgrouch » Fri Oct 28, 2022 9:56 am

Fri Oct 28, 2022 9:36 am
NewApp wrote:
Fri Oct 28, 2022 8:54 am
NewApp wrote:

I probably would have helped maintain the grounds for beer money and unlimited swipes at Trivette while I was in school haha.
And how straight would the lines have been after using your beer money?

appgrouch

Unread post by appgrouch » Fri Oct 28, 2022 10:00 am

NewApp wrote:
The paid grounds crew at Bowman-Grey back in the day painted a 60 yard line. You trust the average college student to count to 50 and back 5 months a year?

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Appalachian Football”