Here is the link to the fall sports streaming schedule.

https://appstatesports.com/news/2023/8/ ... edule.aspx

Beer

NewApp
School: Appalachian State

Beer

Unread post by NewApp » Sat Jun 24, 2023 6:25 pm

Not trying to start anything, but for the past several years the sale or consumption of alcohol in the stadium or tailgates ,etc has been controversial. Are there any quantitative stats on revenue, etc As far as what we have grossed or netted by sales of beer in the stadium, etc? Of course almost entirely all of this board have agreed that alcohol availability enhances game day atmosphere (not me though, but I'm about the only one who disagrees).
NewApp formerly known as JCline
If you can't take it, don't dish it out.
Google SUX

AppStateNews

Re: Beer

Unread post by AppStateNews » Sat Jun 24, 2023 6:38 pm

NewApp wrote:
Sat Jun 24, 2023 6:25 pm
Not trying to start anything, but for the past several years the sale or consumption of alcohol in the stadium or tailgates ,etc has been controversial. Are there any quantitative stats on revenue, etc As far as what we have grossed or netted by sales of beer in the stadium, etc? Of course almost entirely all of this board have agreed that alcohol availability enhances game day atmosphere (not me though, but I'm about the only one who disagrees).
So you agree you're one of the few that disagrees with it but it's still somehow controversial?

I have not seen any balance sheets or anything, but I've heard it's a 6 figure profit stream every season.
tAPPedInSports.net

Not affiliated with the above website

NewApp

Unread post by NewApp » Sat Jun 24, 2023 6:57 pm

AppStateNews wrote:
Sat Jun 24, 2023 6:38 pm
NewApp wrote:
So you agree you're one of the few that disagrees with it but it's still somehow controversial?

I have not seen any balance sheets or anything, but I've heard it's a 6 figure profit stream every season.
I should have said somewhat controversial. Many are hesitant to say anything for fear of being ostracized. I have no problem with alcohol except it has become so pervasive at all sporting events which allow it. The Checkers games I used to attend. There is beer and wine all over the place. Even minors who aren't supposed to be drinking.
Google SUX

NewApp

Unread post by NewApp » Sat Jun 24, 2023 6:59 pm

Good google article except it is sold many more places in the stadium than what is mentioned. Even the Yosef whatcha ma callit sells it in cans. Then there is the draft beer, craft beers, etc
Google SUX

AppStateNews

Unread post by AppStateNews » Sat Jun 24, 2023 7:42 pm

NewApp wrote:
Sat Jun 24, 2023 6:57 pm
AppStateNews wrote:
Sat Jun 24, 2023 6:38 pm
NewApp wrote:

I should have said somewhat controversial. Many are hesitant to say anything for fear of being ostracized. I have no problem with alcohol except it has become so pervasive at all sporting events which allow it. The Checkers games I used to attend. There is beer and wine all over the place. Even minors who aren't supposed to be drinking.
Orrrr... It's because people just kind their own business. If you don't want to drink a beer at the game, don't. If you don't want to be around beer at the game, don't. Pretty simple actually...

But, bottom line and the reason for your question -- since the inception of selling beer in the stadium it's been a very profitable venture making more than 25k per game (in KBS) in profits.
tAPPedInSports.net

NewApp

Unread post by NewApp » Sat Jun 24, 2023 7:51 pm

Not drinking is a good idea for most of us but there is absolutely no place in the stadium to not be around beer or people with airplane bottles hidden. My friend (Seth Cashion) the recent ASU student , now college graduate was able to get in the stadium anytime he wanted to with his student pass, but there was no place he could go without being around heavy drinkers. No where, Not even the friggin bathrooms for heaven sake.
Google SUX

AppStateNews

Unread post by AppStateNews » Sat Jun 24, 2023 7:58 pm

NewApp wrote:
Sat Jun 24, 2023 7:51 pm
Not drinking is a good idea for most of us but there is absolutely no place in the stadium to not be around beer or people with airplane bottles hidden. My friend (Seth Cashion) the recent ASU student , now college graduate was able to get in the stadium anytime he wanted to with his student pass, but there was no place he could go without being around heavy drinkers. No where, Not even the friggin bathrooms for heaven sake.
And it's been that way for years... Hiding mini bottles isn't anything new.

In fact, I find it better than it used to be now the students (and alum to a lesser extent) don't have to chug 3-5 drinks on the way to the stadium and it not hit them until they are in their seats.

If someone can't find a place where there isn't alcohol, they aren't trying hard enough. It's not as prevalent as you're making it seem. You very clearly have not been to a game in quite a while.
tAPPedInSports.net

NewApp

Unread post by NewApp » Sat Jun 24, 2023 8:06 pm

AppStateNews wrote:
Sat Jun 24, 2023 7:58 pm
NewApp wrote:
And it's been that way for years... Hiding mini bottles isn't anything new.

In fact, I find it better than it used to be now the students (and alum to a lesser extent) don't have to chug 3-5 drinks on the way to the stadium and it not hit them until they are in their seats.

If someone can't find a place where there isn't alcohol, they aren't trying hard enough. It's not as prevalent as you're making it seem. You very clearly have not been to a game in quite a while.
Been to one to three games in KBS every year except last year. Parking, travel and cost as well as lack of accommodations on the way up and back prevented me. Course I have to sit with common folks or the bank so I'm not sheltered. Having access to beer was supposed to cut down on mini bottles and it has, but I still step on at least one a game.
Anyway, I said I would avoid a lengthy back and forth so you guys drink up, just drive safel on the way up and back. Too, try to stay sober enough so you can remember what you saw of the game itself.
Google SUX

wb247

Unread post by wb247 » Sat Jun 24, 2023 9:49 pm

NewApp wrote:
Sat Jun 24, 2023 8:06 pm
Having access to beer was supposed to cut down on mini bottles and it has, but I still step on at least one a game.
Anyone who said access to $10+ beers would curtail mini bottles lied to you and/or themselves, or doesn't understand economics. Possibly both.

goapps93

Unread post by goapps93 » Sat Jun 24, 2023 10:00 pm

I don’t mind people drinking beer at games. I just wish the people who sit behind me didn’t spill it on us every. single. game. There’s a little hyperbole in that statement but not much.
WE ARE YOSEF!

Appmountaineers19
School: Other

Unread post by Appmountaineers19 » Sat Jun 24, 2023 10:03 pm

You tell them NewApp...alcohol is the devil's nectar!!! :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

Rekdiver

Unread post by Rekdiver » Sun Jun 25, 2023 10:39 am

Better than me sneaking mini bottles in the game!

WVAPPeer
School: Other

Unread post by WVAPPeer » Sun Jun 25, 2023 11:41 am

Reminds me of a funny happening - It was in the mid-80s and we were attending a WVU-VT game in Blacksburg. It was late Oct/early Nov (back when it was cold) and people were lined up to go in and 4 VA State Troopers were checking everyone for carrying alcohol. There were two men in front of us and after they had answered questions and opened their bags they were starting to move forward and all of a sudden one of the guys who was holding a blanket turned just a tad to let the other guy go ahead and when he did a 5th of bourbon fell out of his blanket broke on the payment and splattered on the Trooper's shoes and pants --- He was not a happy man, of course neither was the guy who just lost his 5th -----
"Montani Semper Liberi"

The Dude Abides!!!

WataugaMan

Unread post by WataugaMan » Sun Jun 25, 2023 12:08 pm

Speaking of beer, last weekend my friend (Dave) and I went up to his camp in WVa just to hang out and get away for a day. We didn't canoe, the river was too low and we didn't feel like dodging rocks all day. Anyway, we sat in lawn chairs atop a hill (on his property facing the river) with a cooler of Red Stripe Beer between us and waived at a few people as they floated by. Good time, something to do. Oh, grilled some steaks over the fire later that evening. Listened to Molly Hatchet, Rush, etc. :D

AppStateNews

Unread post by AppStateNews » Sun Jun 25, 2023 1:27 pm

WVAPPeer wrote:
Sun Jun 25, 2023 11:41 am
Reminds me of a funny happening - It was in the mid-80s and we were attending a WVU-VT game in Blacksburg. It was late Oct/early Nov (back when it was cold) and people were lined up to go in and 4 VA State Troopers were checking everyone for carrying alcohol. There were two men in front of us and after they had answered questions and opened their bags they were starting to move forward and all of a sudden one of the guys who was holding a blanket turned just a tad to let the other guy go ahead and when he did a 5th of bourbon fell out of his blanket broke on the payment and splattered on the Trooper's shoes and pants --- He was not a happy man, of course neither was the guy who just lost his 5th -----
Blasphemy! People just now started trying to sneak alcohol in when beer sales started!
tAPPedInSports.net

gsoappfan

Unread post by gsoappfan » Mon Jun 26, 2023 10:45 am

I stepped on some mini bottles at one game and got so drunk I couldn't remember the game. I wish people would at least throw their bottles in the trash so I don't get drunk when stepping on them!

NewApp

Unread post by NewApp » Mon Jun 26, 2023 11:02 am

gsoappfan wrote:
Mon Jun 26, 2023 10:45 am
I stepped on some mini bottles at one game and got so drunk I couldn't remember the game. I wish people would at least throw their bottles in the trash so I don't get drunk when stepping on them!
LOL. Those mini-bottle drinkers get really blitzed after consuming just one or two of the bottles.
Google SUX

BallantyneApp

Unread post by BallantyneApp » Mon Jun 26, 2023 1:57 pm

NewApp wrote:
Did he catch the alcoholism from being around those heavy drinkers?

Saint3333

Unread post by Saint3333 » Mon Jun 26, 2023 3:12 pm

To find a place in the stadium not around those that drink, one must first enter the stadium.

Therein lies the issue to speak about this rationally.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Appalachian Football”