Here is the link to the fall sports streaming schedule.

https://appstatesports.com/news/2023/8/ ... edule.aspx

Positives

Appfrom05

Re: Positives

Unread post by Appfrom05 » Sun Sep 02, 2012 5:28 pm

First off. It was ridiculously hot Saturday. I drank 10 bottles of water during the game I'd say. The atmosphere was okay, I wasn't overly impressed by the crowd in DF, didn't seem that loud but in fairness the place was half empty by the 3rd quarter. Tailgate was pretty cool, the ECU fans all seemed to be friendly ,although not particularly knowledgeable about football. I asked a few about ECU's team and also the replay rules and the response I got was "its our stadium we'll review whatever we want". With that I decided to just stop trying to have an intelligent conversation with them about the game lol.

As for the game (much of this has already been said), the refs screwed us several times. The pass interference was horrible, no way that ball is caught. Also Mcelfresh was dragged down on the previous app drive and it was a no call. Both times the ECU fan in front of me (more of a real football fan) agreed that it was a bad call. I really hate putting any blame on the refs but dang we just couldn't get a fortunate call all day. That being said they did not cost us the game. Kickoff coverage cost us 7. Punt coverage cost us 7. Fumble cost us 7 (at the very least). We lost by 22. We gifted them 21. Plus two more turnovers that took the ball out of the offenses hands. If that's not beating yourself I don't know what is. Oh and we missed a FG -3 points. About the field goal, I was really hoping for JM to go for it on 4th down, either way you have to make that drive count.

Now I finally arrive at the positives. Receivers made some great catches/runs after the catch. Good job Coach Stepp and the WR group nothing but good things in that department. JJ looked really good at QB. He moved the ball down the field well, seemed to scramble efficiently and keep the offense moving forward. The offensive line also played a great game. Kept the ECU defenders off JJ for the most part and cleared the lanes for the RB's. Chisolm looked good, sucks he was injured. Miller has to hang on to the ball. RB's can't put it on the ground. Just that simple. Chisolm's injury hurts but I feel like our RB corp is in better shape depth wise than maybe some other positions. It was so nice to see an efficient ground game, that's been a problem in the past. TE's need some work on the receiving skills but that will come I hope.

The defense played their hearts out. You can't ask anymore out of that group. They held on as long as they could and I only credit them for having given up 14 which were in the 4th. Middleton's injury hurts but hopefully its not as bad as it sounds. DL got into the backfield, LB's and DB's made plays. I will say the Pirate qb missed some open guys, so our coverage could be better. That being said if our D can bring that every week we will be tough to beat.

Had fun and can't wait until Saturday to be back at the Rock watching us take on Montana!

HighPointApp
School: Appalachian State

Unread post by HighPointApp » Sun Sep 02, 2012 5:53 pm

JTApps1 wrote:I'm most excited about the play of our lines on both sides of the ball. Not only was that our biggest question mark coming into the season, but it was also the strength of ECU's team. The other major positive was offensive play calling. It sure was nice see something resembling a well thought out game plan being used. We were neck and neck with an FBS team for 3 qtr despite the TO's and terrible refs. The KO return was just too much of a momentum changer to overcome. I was excited before yesterday, and I'm even more excited for the rest of the year.
Exactly. If we bring the same energy, clean up the the turnovers, penalties, and kick the damn ball through the endzone,or out of bounds on punts when applicable, we'll be doing fine!
Give 'em Hell!
Class of ‘96

app87

Unread post by app87 » Sun Sep 02, 2012 6:18 pm

I've NEVER been one to rag the refs but it got so bad yesterday ECU fans seated all around our group were giggling at the obnoxious calls. WOW is all I can say. 100 yds. in penalties and special teams play doomed us.

Black Saturday

Unread post by Black Saturday » Sun Sep 02, 2012 6:45 pm

HighPointApp wrote:
JTApps1 wrote:I'm most excited about the play of our lines on both sides of the ball. Not only was that our biggest question mark coming into the season, but it was also the strength of ECU's team. The other major positive was offensive play calling. It sure was nice see something resembling a well thought out game plan being used. We were neck and neck with an FBS team for 3 qtr despite the TO's and terrible refs. The KO return was just too much of a momentum changer to overcome. I was excited before yesterday, and I'm even more excited for the rest of the year.
Exactly. If we bring the same energy, clean up the the turnovers, penalties, and kick the damn ball through the endzone,or out of bounds on punts when applicable, we'll be doing fine!

Take an opponents huge advantage away every chance you get. Don't kick directly to a superstar returner. :idea:
BLACK SATURDAY

HighPointApp

Unread post by HighPointApp » Sun Sep 02, 2012 7:19 pm

Black Saturday wrote:
HighPointApp wrote:

Take an opponents huge advantage away every chance you get. Don't kick directly to a superstar returner. :idea:
Maybe, just maybe........
Give 'em Hell!
Class of ‘96

RockCampAPP

Unread post by RockCampAPP » Sun Sep 02, 2012 8:56 pm

While I am not a big fan of APPS 2014 return to Michigan, that ship is already being fitted for the return to the northern Harbor. Since ASU "will return" I love to see the fact that we have so many freshman and sophomores stepping up at this time. These kids appear to be getting lots of early experience, lots of playing time, and developing quickly into the kind of players that will represent us well two years from now in Michigan. How better to prepare than to give these young guys the ball today. I am really liking what I am seeing from the young future APP stars.... oh, how I would love to see these kids as seniors and juniors SHOCK THE SPORTS WORLD AGAIN.

JCline0429

Unread post by JCline0429 » Sun Sep 02, 2012 9:04 pm

HighPointApp wrote:
Black Saturday wrote:
HighPointApp wrote:

How could we have kicked away from him without kicking it through the endzone?
a.k.a JC0429

AppSt94

Unread post by AppSt94 » Sun Sep 02, 2012 9:13 pm

I thought that the lines played extremely well. The O-line opened up some monster holes against what should be the biggest front line they will face. Like many on here, I agree that the penalties were excessive. Given the youth on our team, penalties should be expected along with some of the mental breakdowns. The coaching staff will earn there paychecks this week getting these things cleaned up. Looking forward to Saturdays game at the Rock.

kiddbrewer

Unread post by kiddbrewer » Mon Sep 03, 2012 5:34 am

app87 wrote:I've NEVER been one to rag the refs but it got so bad yesterday ECU fans seated all around our group were giggling at the obnoxious calls. WOW is all I can say. 100 yds. in penalties and special teams play doomed us.
I agree with you. Most of the times when this board complains about the refs conspiring against ASU, it usually goes through one ear and out the other, so to speak. But that no call on the pass interference that stalled our drive deep in their territory, the no call on the block in the back on their KO return (I do believe he could have made a play to stop that returner) and that pass interference called on us on their next drive were back breakers.

It's already tough enough to play 22 scholarships down, but when our 12 players on the field is playing against 19 on their side it becomes nearly impossible.

Black Saturday

Unread post by Black Saturday » Mon Sep 03, 2012 6:22 am

JCline0429 wrote:
HighPointApp wrote:
Black Saturday wrote:
HighPointApp wrote:

How could we have kicked away from him without kicking it through the endzone?

There are lots of ways to not directly kick a ball to an opponent on k/o or punts. "That was just dumb" I remember Brownie saying the similar about Scottie McGee of JMU and iirc he nearly repeated it Saturday at ECU. Kick it high, Kick it low on the ground, kick to an up man, Kick to the other side of the field away, squib it, kick it out of bounds, kick it out of the end zone, take their advantage away, play smart football....it's easy to do. Maybe we failed at scouting this area or maybe we are just trying to impose our will because we are Appalachian? You make the call? We failed and it cost us in momentum dearly.
BLACK SATURDAY

WataugaMan

Unread post by WataugaMan » Mon Sep 03, 2012 7:19 am

Throughout recent years it APPears the staff does not put much emphasis toward special teams. It cost us a few years back against JMU and Saturday against ECU. As it's said, fool me once shame on you, fool me twice and shame on me. I'd expect some improvement on special teams this coming week, however looking at the past performance in this area, it would not surprise me to see another TD ran back on our special teams.

JCline0429

Unread post by JCline0429 » Mon Sep 03, 2012 8:49 am

Black Saturday, doesn't kicking the ball out bounds on a KO incur a penalty? I know there are other ways, but those take certain skills that we don't if our kicker is capable of especially kicking it out the endzone and when the returner is the only one back there, it is difficult to kick away from hime.
a.k.a JC0429

JCline0429

Unread post by JCline0429 » Mon Sep 03, 2012 8:51 am

WataugaMan wrote:Throughout recent years it APPears the staff does not put much emphasis toward special teams. It cost us a few years back against JMU and Saturday against ECU. As it's said, fool me once shame on you, fool me twice and shame on me. I'd expect some improvement on special teams this coming week, however looking at the past performance in this area, it would not surprise me to see another TD ran back on our special teams.
Not defending our special teams, but we won't be the only ones ECU returns KO's on.
a.k.a JC0429

AppinVA

Unread post by AppinVA » Mon Sep 03, 2012 8:55 am

And they're likely to not be the only team that returns KOs on us.
"Some people call me hillbilly. Some people call me mountain man. You can call me Appalachian. Appalachian's what I am."-- Del McCoury Band

JCline0429

Unread post by JCline0429 » Mon Sep 03, 2012 9:06 am

AppinVA wrote:And they're likely to not be the only team that returns KOs on us.
Could be. :cry:
a.k.a JC0429

AtlAppMan

Unread post by AtlAppMan » Mon Sep 03, 2012 9:41 am

On every other "kickoff" we put it deep into endzone and they fair caught it. On the one that returned we intentionally (Moore even said it in quote) that we kicked it short because he thought it was into wind.

Given their Hardy's abilities on returning it, it would have been wise to kick it as deep as you can every time. As soon as I saw the short kick I knew it would be trouble.

Black Saturday

Unread post by Black Saturday » Mon Sep 03, 2012 10:20 am

JCline0429 wrote:Black Saturday, doesn't kicking the ball out bounds on a KO incur a penalty? I know there are other ways, but those take certain skills that we don't if our kicker is capable of especially kicking it out the endzone and when the returner is the only one back there, it is difficult to kick away from hime.
Pick your poison JCline :?:

a. Know exactly where your opponent starts their downs, rely on your D, who are playing well.

b. Let a great returner gets his wheels going, possibly let them House 6 points, or give them great field position anyway?
BLACK SATURDAY

moonshine

Unread post by moonshine » Tue Sep 04, 2012 8:09 am

I'd also like to point out that the starting defense played really stout. Of the 390 yards given up to the Pirates, 60+ yards were given up on the last drive after the offense failed to score on 4th and goal from the 3. ECU's 2nd team drove from the 3 down to ASU's 35 against App's back-up with the last 15 or so yards coming with under a minute to go. Lots to be excited about with this team if they can continue to improve on a weekly basis. Clean up the penalties and this could get really fun!!!
Picked up via free agency by the High Country All-Stars

WVAPPeer
School: Other

Unread post by WVAPPeer » Tue Sep 04, 2012 8:26 am

"There are lots of ways to not directly kick a ball to an opponent on k/o or punts. "

when punting - yes --- with kick-offs it is tricky because you absolutely don't want to kick it out of bounds and give them the ball on the 35 ---
"Montani Semper Liberi"

The Dude Abides!!!

ASUMountaineer

Unread post by ASUMountaineer » Tue Sep 04, 2012 10:44 am

Malachi Jones! I can't wait to see our WR corps when Price is back.

The OL impressed the heck out of me.

The DL hung in there. I would have liked to have seen more pressure on the QB, but our DL should have an easier time moving forward.

Play calling = obvious.

The D attacked the ball on a lot of plays.

All-in-all, I think ASU has a great chance to make some noise in the FCS this season. I'm much more excited than I thought I would be.
Poster formerly known as AppState03 (MMB) and currently known as ASUMountaineer everywhere else.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Appalachian Football”