Here is the link to the fall sports streaming schedule.

https://appstatesports.com/news/2023/8/ ... edule.aspx

Article saying NIL is only one issue facing NCAA

AppStFan1
School: Appalachian State

Re: Article saying NIL is only one issue facing NCAA

Unread post by AppStFan1 » Mon Jul 03, 2023 6:04 pm

BambooRdApp wrote:
Mon Jul 03, 2023 5:41 pm
AppStFan1 wrote:
Mon Jul 03, 2023 5:20 pm
BambooRdApp wrote:
Mon Jul 03, 2023 11:02 am
AppStFan1 wrote:
Mon Jul 03, 2023 10:48 am
BambooRdApp wrote:
Mon Jul 03, 2023 7:05 am

Hmmm, a person calling someone else ignorant is typically the ignorant one themselves in some other capacity. Our athletics department, ticket office, and others associated with the ticket office are doing the best they can with the funding they have....
That is a very obvious statement to make. We all are ignorant about something. There is a subject you are ignorant about as well as me but the issue here is these people make their living to supposedly know those rules and give the proper information but they did not. There are people in every field of work who are lazy or do a bad job and football is not immune to that.

2 questions for you. If you buy a meal for John Settle today then... 1 Will the NCAA really care? 2. Who are they going to punish? Even if they are right about it technically the NCAA was never going to enforce that. Just because I was a NCAA eligible prospect in high school or played in college does not mean rules apply to me as one at 30, 40, 50, or 60 years old well after I graduated.

I have looked the issue up and according to the NCAA website a booster, or someone who is a rep of a school's athletic interest, is always one but obviously a player finishes their college career and the roles change. It is not illegal for a booster to buy another booster a meal, even if one of them use to play in college, and it never could be. It would not make sense.

To your statement about our people all doing the best they can all the time then you must not have dealt with every department or person. Go read the 247 board and you will hear so many issues that our season-ticket holders have had simply due to some laziness or bad policy by some in our athletics department. We have some great people but we have had and still have some people who are lazy and don't do their best. I would encourage you to subscribe to 247 and just read about some of the issues people have had with their tickets and other things.
I could care less about this particular issue per se. It is the statement you made about labeling folks in a certain part of the athletics Dept ignorant. You can justify the statement all you want and refer to others that may have made comments, etc. I just think it is ignorant to make that statement about folks working hard in the dept. Please feel free to reply with another, as usual and useless, war and peace length response.
I simply had a few points to make. I also never called out entire departments but said we have some in general who don't put in the time to give accurate info because that person was wrong. They should have made the effort to give our boosters correct info. That is literally part of their job. Even if they were right, the NCAA would never enforced it anyway.
"It is really amazing at our success on the field with all the dumb people we have had in our athletics department." This is your exact quote. You said with "all the dumb people we have in our athletic department" I could care less about this particular issue or what the topic was about. Calling people in our athletic dept "dumb" pretty poor taste. Like I said, I could care less about the topic at hand. Getting on a message board and calling them "dumb" is poor taste and somewhat unintelligent comment within itself. If the athletic dept employees are not doing their job to the best of the abilities, people should give feedback to their direct reports, etc. getting on a message board ....and an App St. related message board, and calling them dumb...is sad. if you do not see that, I got nothing else for you..
When I made that statement I meant from past and present employees. Shoot for a long time we had Roachel Laney as AD whose lack of a brain is why it took until 2014 to get an invite to FBS.

A more recent example is the stupidity of building a weight room on second floor behind home stands a few years ago. I’m just glad they realized it was dumb and moved it over to the end zone on the ground floor.

I agree it’s sad it has to be said here some but I know for a fact that many in athletics read this board so I know it will be seen.

WVAPPeer
School: Other

Unread post by WVAPPeer » Mon Jul 03, 2023 6:40 pm

huskie3 wrote:
Mon Jul 03, 2023 3:18 pm
I always paid for the whole table so no one could say I was giving preference.just said they were friends.
Hey, let me know the next time you are going to the steakhouse :o
"Montani Semper Liberi"

The Dude Abides!!!

Howard Street Hooligan

Unread post by Howard Street Hooligan » Wed Jul 19, 2023 10:34 am

The biggest fish to fry is the discrepancy between the G5 and the SEC/B1G in TV dollars. You have schools that get a free ride forever while good programs in the P5 and G5 will get left behind because their "market" isn't big enough. Scrap the whole thing and create a football pyramid like they have in football/soccer in Europe that allows teams to play their way up and down to get a piece of those TV dollars and maybe become a power.

AtlAppMan

Unread post by AtlAppMan » Sun Jul 23, 2023 11:22 pm

LAS VEGAS — On Thursday afternoon in Nashville, an exceptionally tan Lane Kiffin took to the stage at SEC Media Days and did what Nick Saban and Kirby Smart usually refuse to do: he unleashed the flamethrower, calling the current state of NIL and the transfer portal in college football “a disaster.” In the ever-sanitized fired-up coach-speak existence of most media day events, it was some must-see TV.

GSUwasGump’sFallbackSchool

Unread post by GSUwasGump’sFallbackSchool » Mon Jul 24, 2023 5:22 am

AtlAppMan wrote:
Sun Jul 23, 2023 11:22 pm
LAS VEGAS — On Thursday afternoon in Nashville, an exceptionally tan Lane Kiffin took to the stage at SEC Media Days and did what Nick Saban and Kirby Smart usually refuse to do: he unleashed the flamethrower, calling the current state of NIL and the transfer portal in college football “a disaster.” In the ever-sanitized fired-up coach-speak existence of most media day events, it was some must-see TV.
The portal is faaaaar from perfect, but for someone who completely rebuilt his roster this off-season with the portal perhaps the call is coming from inside the house, Lane.

APP93

Unread post by APP93 » Mon Jul 24, 2023 6:07 am

Howard Street Hooligan wrote:
Wed Jul 19, 2023 10:34 am
The biggest fish to fry is the discrepancy between the G5 and the SEC/B1G in TV dollars. You have schools that get a free ride forever while good programs in the P5 and G5 will get left behind because their "market" isn't big enough. Scrap the whole thing and create a football pyramid like they have in football/soccer in Europe that allows teams to play their way up and down to get a piece of those TV dollars and maybe become a power.
I have always loved this idea...get rid of the bowl games and have relegation games. Instead of watching a 7-5 team vs a 6-6 team in basically a meaningless game let's watch G5 conference champs vs P5 bottom feeder fighting to play in top conference next season...those would be fun games to watch.

t4pizza

Unread post by t4pizza » Mon Jul 24, 2023 8:51 am

GSUwasGump’sFallbackSchool wrote:
Mon Jul 24, 2023 5:22 am
AtlAppMan wrote:
The portal is faaaaar from perfect, but for someone who completely rebuilt his roster this off-season with the portal perhaps the call is coming from inside the house, Lane.
Lane acknowledged that it was benefitting his team, but said it was bad for college football in general. He called it free agency with no rules and admitted that his team does well with it. Coaches have to take advantage of NIL and the portal or they will get passed by very quickly. That doesn't mean that they can't understand it is not good for the betterment of the game.

AtlAppMan

Unread post by AtlAppMan » Mon Jul 24, 2023 1:50 pm

t4pizza wrote:
Mon Jul 24, 2023 8:51 am
GSUwasGump’sFallbackSchool wrote:
Mon Jul 24, 2023 5:22 am
AtlAppMan wrote:
Lane acknowledged that it was benefitting his team, but said it was bad for college football in general. He called it free agency with no rules and admitted that his team does well with it. Coaches have to take advantage of NIL and the portal or they will get passed by very quickly. That doesn't mean that they can't understand it is not good for the betterment of the game.
I think the point being made here is everybody will play with the current system and try do the best they can until it is changed but that doesn't mean the system is good, far from it. I am glad a lot of folks are starting to publicly acknowledge that it is NOT good for college football and all the participants.

Yosef10

Unread post by Yosef10 » Mon Jul 24, 2023 3:10 pm

AtlAppMan wrote:
He went a bit deeper with Josh Pate. His issue isn’t with NIL or the Portal. His issue is with the lack of structure around NIL and Portal as they were massive changes to college football, and they were basically introduced at the same time without any structure. He actually went on to compare this era of NIL to the era of the NFL before rookie salary caps were implemented, those NFL players used that to their benefit, and that’s where the college guys are at during this NIL period. Eventually structure will be implemented and youll see uniformity.

The most interesting part to me was how Lane said he has addressed his staff in all this. He tells them to be reasonable and realistic about how players think. Basically saying coaches tend to think “oh this is how a player should think, they should just wanna be the best they can and win”. He goes on to say sure there are some guys that think like that, but most aren’t. A lot of motivation comes from money and the NFL, because of the money.

If I’m an Ole Miss fan, that’s a very refreshing thought to hear out of Lane.

Stonewall

Unread post by Stonewall » Tue Jul 25, 2023 7:41 am

Kid at Ole Miss ,Judkins stated in an interview last week that he had multiple schools contact him about transferring . He wasn't and isn't in the Portal.

WVAPPeer

Unread post by WVAPPeer » Tue Jul 25, 2023 9:24 am

I really don't have a problem with the portal nor NIL, just that is has to be regulated with some set standards. Of course, the NCAA had plenty of time prior to all this happening to be proactive but the leadership was so pathetically bad that they did NOTHING.
Contacting players who are playing at another university has been going on forever so why would we think contacts now would be made to those only in the portal?
I always thought NIL in some form would be a great idea - jersey sales, personal appearances, etc., but of course the current situation is out of hand, but at least it is "legal". I heard Eric Dickerson say not long ago that a booster at an unnamed Texas school offered him an Oil Well, so who knows what he got from SMU but they did get put on "probation" for like 10 years.
The NCAA currently is a joke and will be until they get REAL leadership.
"Montani Semper Liberi"

The Dude Abides!!!

Howard Street Hooligan

Unread post by Howard Street Hooligan » Thu Jul 27, 2023 3:01 pm

APP93 wrote:
Mon Jul 24, 2023 6:07 am
Howard Street Hooligan wrote:
Wed Jul 19, 2023 10:34 am
I have always loved this idea...get rid of the bowl games and have relegation games. Instead of watching a 7-5 team vs a 6-6 team in basically a meaningless game let's watch G5 conference champs vs P5 bottom feeder fighting to play in top conference next season...those would be fun games to watch.
That would be better than what we have but I'd still like to see it how exactly they have it in soccer. If you win your "division" then you move up and if you finish dead last then you move down. Schools shouldn't, imo, be guaranteed a massive payday just because they've been in same conference with Georgia and Alabama and LSU forever. I believe there's 129 teams in FBS, so filter them all into 8 divisions with 15-16 teams per division. Play a 15 or 16 game schedule and that's it. Maybe still do a national championship if you really must but it's the BEST way to make sure you're not eliminating teams from ever having a chance. Give programs some hope rather than what we currently have. App realistically has no shot or a very, very, very slim chance to go to the SEC/ B1G ever which pays out most TV money and helps the school build up their facilities and just over fandom/popularity across the country. It's either that or raise the tuition on students high enough to compete but fundamentally I don't think that's very fair to students. All this makes the most sense but I feel it has less than a 1% chance of ever happening.

If you're wondering about basketball, they can follow the same divisions that the football team is in or just keep it regional. Idk. Haven't really thought much about the other sport side until getting to the end of this so we can workshop that idea.

WVAPPeer

Unread post by WVAPPeer » Fri Jul 28, 2023 5:36 pm

Well now - how about this - from cbssports.com

"At Big Ten Media Days Maryland quarterback Taulia Tagovailoa revealed an unnamed SEC school offered him $1.5 million to enter the NCAA transfer portal during the offsason. Tagovailoa instead elected to return Maryland to play his fifth collegiate season.

"It would be hard for me to go to another place and not be happy but have all the money in the world," Tagovailoa told The Athletic. "(I'd rather) be at a place where maybe I don't have as much, but I'm happy and I'm here to work."

Given he is a graduate, Tagavailoa could still enter the transfer portal and earn immediate eligibility at his next destination. However Tagovailoa conferred with his older brother and Miami Dolphins quarterback Tua and decided his relationships at Maryland mattered more than making money elsewhere.

"It can be eye-opening, but I think for my situation -- if I was in a different situation where maybe I didn't have a brother in the NFL or maybe my parents, it'd be a different situation," Tagovailoa said.

Tagovailoa orginally followed his brother to Alabama, but transferred to Maryland after one season with the Crimson Tide. He immediately earned the starting job and has remained the No. 1 quarterback on the roster ever since.

The 5-foot-11, 208-pound Tagovailoa holds Maryland career records for passing yards (7,879) and passing touchdowns (51), as well as completion percentage, completions and total offense. He was a 2022 second-team All-Big Ten selection after throwing for 2,787 yards and 17 touchdowns in 11 games. "
"Montani Semper Liberi"

The Dude Abides!!!

t4pizza

Unread post by t4pizza » Sat Jul 29, 2023 8:07 am

Good for him for staying, but I wish he would have publicly named the tampering team.

appdaze

Unread post by appdaze » Wed Aug 02, 2023 4:34 pm

Stonewall

Unread post by Stonewall » Wed Aug 02, 2023 6:39 pm

Realignment is back in the news.PAC12 looks like it's in trouble.

BambooRdApp

Unread post by BambooRdApp » Wed Aug 02, 2023 6:47 pm

FSU discussing leaving and being first to challenge grant of rights clause
Today I Give My All For Appalachian State!!
#FreeMillerHillForMoMoney!!
#SleeveStripesWereTheBomb!!
#99ForPresident!!

appdaze

Unread post by appdaze » Wed Aug 02, 2023 7:00 pm

All sorts of things are rolling out tonight.

appdaze

Unread post by appdaze » Sat Aug 05, 2023 7:36 pm

App is now advertising for NIL. Everyone that wants to be big-time needs to pony up.

AppStFan1

Unread post by AppStFan1 » Sat Aug 05, 2023 10:15 pm

AtlAppMan wrote:
Sat Jul 01, 2023 3:27 pm
NIL is not NIL anymore. It is a pure legal avenue to pay athletes in a completely uncontrolled delivery system. If someone wants to pay an athlete the sky is the limit. Don’t pretend it has anything to do with a student’s name, image or likeness.

What it is now is anybody with money can pay a player to join their team. If you don’t have money you won’t get the best players.

This is not a sustainable model for college or professional sports in its current form. Even the pros know this model doesn’t work.
100% and there have actually been coaches and ADs who have admitted this.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Appalachian Football”