Here is the link to the fall sports streaming schedule.

https://appstatesports.com/news/2023/8/ ... edule.aspx

Up Next...UNC

AppSt91
School: Appalachian State

Re: Up Next...UNC

Unread post by AppSt91 » Sun Sep 10, 2023 8:46 pm

Hoping we roll out the backup kicker for field goals. Give someone else a shot in game situations.

AppSt94

Unread post by AppSt94 » Sun Sep 10, 2023 8:48 pm

AppSt91 wrote:
Sun Sep 10, 2023 8:46 pm
Hoping we roll out the backup kicker for field goals. Give someone else a shot in game situations.
Based on what I saw in 2nd half warm ups last week, no you do not.

AppSt91

Unread post by AppSt91 » Sun Sep 10, 2023 8:56 pm

If that’s the case, should have been hunting in the portal after the GS game last year. Then again, some kids perform better in games than practice but you never know until you give them a shot. Give the backup his shot.

The Rock

Unread post by The Rock » Sun Sep 10, 2023 8:59 pm

The thing with Hughes is, yeah he has missed some key FGs, but he has also come back and made some really important ones in the same games. Made what turned into game winning FG at A&M. Last year as his first year place kicking, missed at UNC but hit later and made all the PATs that were crucial to tie. Would have been easy to choke last night on the FG to tie, but nailed it. Really hoping he finds more consistency, not only for App, but he is a really nice and respectful kid. The kind of person you want representing the program

AppSt94

Unread post by AppSt94 » Sun Sep 10, 2023 9:04 pm

AppSt91 wrote:
Sun Sep 10, 2023 8:56 pm
If that’s the case, should have been hunting in the portal after the GS game last year. Then again, some kids perform better in games than practice but you never know until you give them a shot. Give the backup his shot.
I sit in the NEZ and they kick extra points into the stands so you have to pay attention. The two guy out kicking FG to warm up were shanking chip shots like the Carolina kicker. Like I said. No you don’t.

I understand the portal comment but that GS Miss was his only miss last year inside 40 yards. The other thing that must be considered is that if you go into the portal for a kicker, you have to offer a scholarship. So you have two kickers on scholarship which most teams do not carry.
Last edited by AppSt94 on Sun Sep 10, 2023 9:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

NattyBumppo'sRevenge

Unread post by NattyBumppo'sRevenge » Sun Sep 10, 2023 9:06 pm

The Rock wrote:
Sun Sep 10, 2023 8:59 pm
The thing with Hughes is, yeah he has missed some key FGs, but he has also come back and made some really important ones in the same games. Made what turned into game winning FG at A&M. Last year as his first year place kicking, missed at UNC but hit later and made all the PATs that were crucial to tie. Would have been easy to choke last night on the FG to tie, but nailed it. Really hoping he finds more consistency, not only for App, but he is a really nice and respectful kid. The kind of person you want representing the program
Like I said, he’s capable, it’s up to him and his confidence. Maybe he should be roommates with Deshaun Davis. He can spare some confidence. Love that dude!

WASU 93

Unread post by WASU 93 » Sun Sep 10, 2023 9:59 pm

NattyBumppo'sRevenge wrote:
Sun Sep 10, 2023 9:06 pm
The Rock wrote:
Sun Sep 10, 2023 8:59 pm
Like I said, he’s capable, it’s up to him and his confidence. Maybe he should be roommates with Deshaun Davis. He can spare some confidence. Love that dude!
You can be confident and still miss a 45+ yard FG. There's mechanics, snap, hold and wind conditions involved. There were only TWO NFL kickers who were perfect from 40-49 yards last year. (with at least 8 attempts, you can add a third who was 4-4). Hughes is 60 for 60 in Extra Points between last season and this season. Less than half of the FBS kickers were perfect last year.

The kick he missed against Gardner-Webb, he was going towards the line of scrimmage early and had to slow down to wait for the ball placement. It was probably on him, but it was the first time out with his holder and long snapper.

AppOrange

Unread post by AppOrange » Sun Sep 10, 2023 10:49 pm

asumba95 wrote:
Sun Sep 10, 2023 12:21 pm
AppOrange wrote:
Sat Sep 09, 2023 9:17 pm
311neers wrote:
Sat Sep 09, 2023 9:00 pm
Bigdaddyg1 wrote:
Sat Sep 09, 2023 8:50 pm
For those who think other teams will pound us running the ball how about who is going to slow us down? We are well balanced and will put up some serious stats.
People are going to pound us running. We are down 3 Nose Tackles and are missing our typical Mike backers. Clearly evident tonight. Some are just blocking dummies. Just have to outscore people.
You may be the most negative poster on this board, congrats
pointing out our weaknesses is not being negative
I’m fine with pointing out our weaknesses, it’s a chat board, and America, but go back and read the whole string, it was non stop, and over the top.

appst1992

Unread post by appst1992 » Mon Sep 11, 2023 4:23 am

I’m fine with our kicker as far as field goals and PATs are concerned. What I’m not fine with is that he cannot kick it into the end zone on kickoffs. Fortunately, UNC called a fair catch on every kickoff, otherwise they would have started from at least the 40 every time. This will come back to bite us at some point(s) this year.

hapapp

Unread post by hapapp » Mon Sep 11, 2023 5:37 am

appst1992 wrote:
Mon Sep 11, 2023 4:23 am
I’m fine with our kicker as far as field goals and PATs are concerned. What I’m not fine with is that he cannot kick it into the end zone on kickoffs. Fortunately, UNC called a fair catch on every kickoff, otherwise they would have started from at least the 40 every time. This will come back to bite us at some point(s) this year.
Those kicks were by design. He's fully capable of kicking into the EZ. He did it consistently in the GW game.

Bigdaddyg1

Unread post by Bigdaddyg1 » Mon Sep 11, 2023 5:52 am

I don't get the criticism of the kickoffs Saturday. I'm not an analytics guy but if you fair catch the kickoff it's at the 25. If you do any kick that keeps the offense at least at the 25 its successful. So kick it in the endzone, the stands or pooch as long as they don't reach the 26 or farther. He's capable of the endzone but probably the thinking is don't kick it to the one on a regular attempt and allow for a longer return.

I could be wrong but that's my opinion on this strategy.

AppSt94

Unread post by AppSt94 » Mon Sep 11, 2023 5:59 am

appst1992 wrote:
I understand your point. But kicking it through the end zone isn’t what he has been asked to do. The strategy under normal circumstances is to kick the ball 2-3 yards deep into the end zone. This illicit a decision from the returner. On average, a returned kick starts 1st down inside the 25. Those short kickoffs this week were intentional for some reason.

AppSt94

Unread post by AppSt94 » Mon Sep 11, 2023 6:01 am

hapapp wrote:
Mon Sep 11, 2023 5:37 am
appst1992 wrote:
Those kicks were by design. He's fully capable of kicking into the EZ. He did it consistently in the GW game.
Yep. He also kicked to his left against GW as he normally does. This week he was kicking them to the right.

hapapp

Unread post by hapapp » Mon Sep 11, 2023 7:16 am

AppSt94 wrote:
Mon Sep 11, 2023 6:01 am
hapapp wrote:
Mon Sep 11, 2023 5:37 am
appst1992 wrote:
Yep. He also kicked to his left against GW as he normally does. This week he was kicking them to the right.
I noticed that. Obviously by design.

appst1992

Unread post by appst1992 » Mon Sep 11, 2023 7:44 am

By design or not, I just don't get it. And we've done that "by design" in the past and it has always bitten us. If he's capable to kick it thru the end zone, then in my opinion do it....do it every time. Our special teams play, historically speaking, has not been good enough to play a strategy game with the opponent by eliciting a decision.

Saturday may have been by design, but every time they fielded the kick, our coverage team wasn't within 15-20 yards of him. Just thankful their strategy was fair catch.

AppSt94

Unread post by AppSt94 » Mon Sep 11, 2023 7:58 am

appst1992 wrote:
Mon Sep 11, 2023 7:44 am
By design or not, I just don't get it. And we've done that "by design" in the past and it has always bitten us. If he's capable to kick it thru the end zone, then in my opinion do it....do it every time. Our special teams play, historically speaking, has not been good enough to play a strategy game with the opponent by eliciting a decision.

Saturday may have been by design, but every time they fielded the kick, our coverage team wasn't within 15-20 yards of him. Just thankful their strategy was fair catch.
You are entitled to your opinion.

AppGrad78

Unread post by AppGrad78 » Mon Sep 11, 2023 8:07 am

You’re not considering the negative possibilities of banging it into the end zone. If the kick comes up short, the usually lower trajectory can result in a significant return. Those longer kicks — purposefully directed to one corner or the other — also run a greater risk of straying out of bounds. Also, a high kick to about the 10-yard-line forces the receiving team to properly field the ball, something not as automatic as you’d think.

AppStateNews

Unread post by AppStateNews » Mon Sep 11, 2023 8:14 am

appst1992 wrote:
Mon Sep 11, 2023 7:44 am

How much film did you want of UNC return game prior? Did you know if the off side returner got it kicked to him, they fair caught it the last 3 years on every try but one? Oh, and that position (not always the same player) also has had on average 1.5 fumbles per season. You did all that research to come up with your conclusion and how stupid our coaching staff is, right?

It was by design to keep the ball out of an elite athletes hands and perhaps get the funny shaped ball to bounce a funny way.
tAPPedInSports.net

Not affiliated with the above website

Stonewall

Unread post by Stonewall » Mon Sep 11, 2023 9:30 am

This one still stinging , reminds me of the game in Knoxville a few years back. A lot of odd parallels .Hoping we bounce back hard.

bagelcat
School: Davidson

Unread post by bagelcat » Mon Sep 11, 2023 9:50 am

Not an App State grad here but a fan of anyone playing UNC. And an admirer of the Apps since I interviewed Jerry Moore way back when...

Wondering:

AppSt ran the ball three times in the first OT, very effectively. They didn't attempt a pass.
UNC gets a TD in the 2nd OT, so App St knows they have four downs to get 10 yards.
They open the 2nd OT with a wheel route to the tight end. Why??? Run the ball, get ahead of the chains, you have four downs. That seemed like very strange play calling to me. Your QB appears to be a good runner but not the most accurate passer at this early point in his App tenure.

Another thing: In the last minute of regulation, App calls a timeout with UNC facing second and 20. I questioned this the second I saw it. You're facing Drake Maye, not some ordinary QB. On third and 10 or 15, yes, you do call a timeout to try to get the ball back, but not prior to second down. That time out almost came back to bite App St, as UNC would probably not have had time to get into FG range without that App time out. But it did provide us the chance to see an incredible duck hook.

Any thoughts?

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Appalachian Football”