Here is the link to the fall sports streaming schedule.

https://appstatesports.com/news/2023/8/ ... edule.aspx

2025 Football Schedule????

McLeansvilleAppFan
School: Appalachian State

Re: 2025 Football Schedule????

Unread post by McLeansvilleAppFan » Thu Jan 11, 2024 11:34 am

Bootsy wrote:
Tue Jan 09, 2024 5:06 pm
AppSt94 wrote:
Tue Jan 09, 2024 2:30 pm
So the 2025 Home schedule: NC State EKU Toledo Coastal, Marshall, Southern and 1 of (Ark St, Monroe, or Texas St)

Away: Charlotte in BoA, JMU, Georgia St, ODU and either (Troy, Southern Miss or Ark St)
That Toledo game should be fun. Yet another chance to punk the Rockets. And congrats to DG for getting a MAC team to play at KBS. I didn’t think it would ever happen.
Do they think they are too good to travel to a SB team or they are not used to playing in front of such a big crowd? I know the MAC teams tend to complain about playing us in bowl games as if we are not worthy but I am not sure what they have against a home and home series with us in the regular season.
This is my very generic signature added to each post.

kornegaylw

Unread post by kornegaylw » Thu Jan 11, 2024 2:39 pm

McLeansvilleAppFan wrote:
Thu Jan 11, 2024 11:34 am
Bootsy wrote:
AppSt94 wrote:
So the 2025 Home schedule: NC State EKU Toledo Coastal, Marshall, Southern and 1 of (Ark St, Monroe, or Texas St)

Away: Charlotte in BoA, JMU, Georgia St, ODU and either (Troy, Southern Miss or Ark St)
That Toledo game should be fun. Yet another chance to punk the Rockets. And congrats to DG for getting a MAC team to play at KBS. I didn’t think it would ever happen.
Do they think they are too good to travel to a SB team or they are not used to playing in front of such a big crowd? I know the MAC teams tend to complain about playing us in bowl games as if we are not worthy but I am not sure what they have against a home and home series with us in the regular season.
Getting any school to play in Boone, even when they are in your conference, is tough

You can't fly directly in, you can't stay in Boone, its at altitutude, the weather is a wild card, the crowd is wild, the locker rooms are small....oh and you're NOT gauranteed a win and even if you do win chances are it won't be pretty

For most coaches and ADs thats an almost immediate "Thank you, but no Thank you....No there isn't any combo of home/away/neutral sites that would change our minds....No really, we aren't interested"

The schools that will come up the mountain are already doing so and will continue b/c its either geographically logical, contractually obligated or in the case of NCSU b/c UNC said they won't do it anymore and b/c their fan base actually wants that smoke.

McLeansvilleAppFan

Unread post by McLeansvilleAppFan » Thu Jan 11, 2024 5:10 pm

kornegaylw wrote:
Thu Jan 11, 2024 2:39 pm
Bootsy wrote:
AppSt94 wrote:

Getting any school to play in Boone, even when they are in your conference, is tough

You can't fly directly in, you can't stay in Boone, its at altitutude, the weather is a wild card, the crowd is wild, the locker rooms are small....oh and you're NOT gauranteed a win and even if you do win chances are it won't be pretty

For most coaches and ADs thats an almost immediate "Thank you, but no Thank you....No there isn't any combo of home/away/neutral sites that would change our minds....No really, we aren't interested"

The schools that will come up the mountain are already doing so and will continue b/c its either geographically logical, contractually obligated or in the case of NCSU b/c UNC said they won't do it anymore and b/c their fan base actually wants that smoke.
We do need a hotel in Boone to better suit bringing in a football team. A shame someone has not done this knowing a conference style hotel will be used for things such as this and throughout the year Boone can be an attractive location for meetings.

kornegaylw

Unread post by kornegaylw » Thu Jan 11, 2024 8:16 pm

Thu Jan 11, 2024 5:10 pm
kornegaylw wrote:
Bootsy wrote:
AppSt94 wrote:

We do need a hotel in Boone to better suit bringing in a football team. A shame someone has not done this knowing a conference style hotel will be used for things such as this and throughout the year Boone can be an attractive location for meetings.
A full service hotel/spa/golf resort in the greater Boone/high country area would do well. Maybe not in Boone but in a reasonably easy place to get to.

The real struggle for teams is the drive to and from an airport.

McLeansvilleAppFan

Unread post by McLeansvilleAppFan » Thu Jan 11, 2024 8:25 pm

kornegaylw wrote:
Thu Jan 11, 2024 8:16 pm
kornegaylw wrote:
Bootsy wrote:

A full service hotel/spa/golf resort in the greater Boone/high country area would do well. Maybe not in Boone but in a reasonably easy place to get to.

I am a homer for App but App is 45 min from Hickory and that airport can handle jets that I would think would be used for college sports. 321 is going to stay clear enough, even in winter for ski tourism if nothing else. PTI is a 100 minutes and 421 is going to be clear in the winter as well and Smith Reynolds, like Hickory I think can handle some jets, and that airport is a bit closer. The maintenance done in W-S years ago was with jets from my understanding. I assume all of these trips are charter for football, which is the discussion here and not tennis or golf.

AppSt94

Unread post by AppSt94 » Thu Jan 11, 2024 8:35 pm

Thu Jan 11, 2024 8:25 pm
kornegaylw wrote:
kornegaylw wrote:

I am a homer for App but App is 45 min from Hickory and that airport can handle jets that I would think would be used for college sports. 321 is going to stay clear enough, even in winter for ski tourism if nothing else. PTI is a 100 minutes and 421 is going to be clear in the winter as well and Smith Reynolds, like Hickory I think can handle some jets, and that airport is a bit closer. The maintenance done in W-S years ago was with jets from my understanding. I assume all of these trips are charter for football, which is the discussion here and not tennis or golf.
Hickory International hasn’t proven to be a reliable airport. We have had to divert to Charlotte more than a few times due to some sort of weather event.

NewApp

Unread post by NewApp » Thu Jan 11, 2024 8:50 pm

kornegaylw wrote:
Bootsy wrote:
AppSt94 wrote:

The Sheraton which was on the corner of 105 and Blowing Rock Rd fit the bill as a conference center of sorts, but Chancellor Peacock's administration turned it into a Sorority Dorm.
NewApp formerly known as JCline
If you can't take it, don't dish it out.
Google SUX

kornegaylw

Unread post by kornegaylw » Thu Jan 11, 2024 9:10 pm

NewApp wrote:
Thu Jan 11, 2024 8:50 pm
kornegaylw wrote:
Bootsy wrote:

The Sheraton which was on the corner of 105 and Blowing Rock Rd fit the bill as a conference center of sorts, but Chancellor Peacock's administration turned it into a Sorority Dorm.
So I have a list of 26 names for that building. One for each letter in the alphabet. My roommate and I came up with it during the 2010 blizzard. There was absolutely no alcohol involved in its creation

appst89
Site Admin

Unread post by appst89 » Fri Jan 12, 2024 6:28 am

NewApp wrote:
Thu Jan 11, 2024 8:50 pm
kornegaylw wrote:
Bootsy wrote:

Except it wasn't a conference center.

HkyMtneer

Unread post by HkyMtneer » Fri Jan 12, 2024 7:31 am

AppSt94 wrote:
Thu Jan 11, 2024 8:35 pm
Thu Jan 11, 2024 8:25 pm
kornegaylw wrote:
kornegaylw wrote:

Hickory International hasn’t proven to be a reliable airport. We have had to divert to Charlotte more than a few times due to some sort of weather event.
Wanted to speak to the Hickory Regional Airport issue. You are correct in that we have had to divert to CLT from HKY more than a few times in recent years. Weather is definitely a factor but a couple of other issues are at play. The biggest of which is that HKY tower operates as a contract tower and closes in the evening and thus, during overnight hours, control of the airspace is transferred to CLT tower. So, when the weather is kinda iffy for those many late night flights back into HKY from ULM, LaLa, TXST, ASU, South AL...or most places we fly...the tower is closed. So, we have no "eyes on the ground", so to speak, as to actual landing conditions and conditions in the vicinity in those last couple thousand feet down to approach. This leads to CLT tower recommending to divert and of course that is the safer option.

The runway itself at Hickory is not a problem at all, as it was resurfaced a few years back and is in pretty great shape. New lighting was added and even more is in the works, as is a planned 600 ft. extension of the runway to get to 7,000 ft. That extra length will certainly help 737 pilots feel even more comfortable landing in a little bit trickier weather. Again, the biggest issue is the tower, which brings me around to the future. As you may or may not know, a large new 100,000 sq. ft. structure is currently under construction at one end of the runway which will house the Hickory Aviation Museum and Catawba Valley Community College's Innovation Center. This structure will include a 3rd floor observation deck, a nice Cafe with expanded hours, and I'm hearing an observation park (with some aviation themed playground equipment, food trucks on weekends, etc.) is also on the board for some land adjacent. What does that have to do with anything?

Well, once the aviation museum departs their current home (which takes up a good portion of the existing main terminal from HKY's commercial aviation days, as well as a good bit of the ramp space outside) then the City is planning to really make a strong push for a return to commercial aviation. A new airport manager was just hired with extensive commercial knowledge and a history of working towers himself. Plans are being considered that would basically rebuild the existing terminal and enlarge/reconstruct the ramp area and also expand the fire and rescue capabilities at the airport as well.

There is also airline interest in HKY, including our current charter partner who has made it known that they would like to be at the front of the table should commercial service be a possibility to return to HKY. All of this new activity would most likely result in the HKY tower resuming 24 hour operations and making everything a whole lot safer. Living directly in the flight approach (almost exactly 3 miles out from the end of the runway as the crow flies) I can say that in reality, probably half of the App State Charter diversions are probably unnecessary...we just need actual eyes in the tower.

Now, all of this won't be happening this year, or next, as a bunch of projects are already underway at the airport, including the aforementioned aviation museum, construction currently ongoing for new t-style single hangars all along the old 2nd runway, all new realigned and expanded road leading to the airport entrance from HWY 321 (which will make the last few turns a lot easier for charter buses) and construction of the aviation walk which will bridge Downtown Hickory and the Lake Hickory walk/parks with the airport.

So, if all goes smoothly, I'd imagine Hickory may have some commercial service and a 24/7 tower by sometime in 2026, or more likely 2027, which would make things a lot more palatable for not only App Charters but those of our opponents. Wow, this is a long post...but I had lots to share. Ha!

AppSt94

Unread post by AppSt94 » Fri Jan 12, 2024 7:41 am

I appreciate the time and effort in the above explanation. That is way more information than I was given. Granted, I didn’t ask for more and it’s doubtful the person telling me would have known this. The most that I got was that the fog off the adjacent river was a problem and I would agree that eyes on the ground would change the tower thinking on landing. Thanks again.

HkyMtneer

Unread post by HkyMtneer » Fri Jan 12, 2024 8:07 am

AppSt94 wrote:
Fri Jan 12, 2024 7:41 am
I appreciate the time and effort in the above explanation. That is way more information than I was given. Granted, I didn’t ask for more and it’s doubtful the person telling me would have known this. The most that I got was that the fog off the adjacent river was a problem and I would agree that eyes on the ground would change the tower thinking on landing. Thanks again.
Fog off the Catawba/Lake Hickory is definitely a thing in those moist overnight hours of Fall heading into Winter and coming out of Winter into Spring but it's usually a pretty thin layer and not extremely dense but because of the location of HKY and it's closeness to the lake, it doesn't take much to show up as a decent amount of coverage on AirNav radar. But again, it's usually not as bad as it seems, especially when there is someone in the tower to line up the approach and check out the ceiling first hand.

AppSt94

Unread post by AppSt94 » Fri Jan 12, 2024 8:26 am

HkyMtneer wrote:
Fri Jan 12, 2024 8:07 am
AppSt94 wrote:
Fri Jan 12, 2024 7:41 am
Fog off the Catawba/Lake Hickory is definitely a thing in those moist overnight hours of Fall heading into Winter and coming out of Winter into Spring but it's usually a pretty thin layer and not extremely dense but because of the location of HKY and it's closeness to the lake, it doesn't take much to show up as a decent amount of coverage on AirNav radar. But again, it's usually not as bad as it seems, especially when there is someone in the tower to line up the approach and check out the ceiling first hand.
Appreciate the explanation. You learn something new everyday.

APPdiesel

Unread post by APPdiesel » Fri Jan 12, 2024 9:10 am

kornegaylw wrote:
Bootsy wrote:
AppSt94 wrote:

The locker rooms are small??? Visiting teams use the old home locker room. Granted I’ve never been in it but I remember seeing videos and it looked pretty nice.
"Sports talk's most decent producer" on 97.1 The Fan Upstate

http://www.twitter.com/dieselonradio

AppSt94

Unread post by AppSt94 » Fri Jan 12, 2024 9:40 am

APPdiesel wrote:
Fri Jan 12, 2024 9:10 am
kornegaylw wrote:
Bootsy wrote:
AppSt94 wrote:

The locker rooms are small??? Visiting teams use the old home locker room. Granted I’ve never been in it but I remember seeing videos and it looked pretty nice.
I believe that they took some of the space in the locker room and repurposed it. I’ve never been in them either but I seem to recall that being done.

bcoach

Unread post by bcoach » Fri Jan 12, 2024 9:59 am

APPdiesel wrote:
kornegaylw wrote:
Bootsy wrote:
AppSt94 wrote:

I have been in it and I can't immagine a visitors locker room anywhere as nice.

311neers

Unread post by 311neers » Fri Jan 12, 2024 10:01 am

AppSt94 wrote:
Fri Jan 12, 2024 9:40 am
APPdiesel wrote:
kornegaylw wrote:
Bootsy wrote:

I believe that they took some of the space in the locker room and repurposed it. I’ve never been in them either but I seem to recall that being done.
I've been in the old Home Locker Room, very nice locker rooms. But you are correct, we took some SF from the locker room and gave it to the new "grab and go food/bev" concession. Probably lost 300 SF of locker room. Still a nice locker room for an away team, just might be a tad small now.

ASU85Grad

Unread post by ASU85Grad » Fri Jan 12, 2024 12:09 pm

311neers wrote:
Fri Jan 12, 2024 10:01 am
AppSt94 wrote:
Fri Jan 12, 2024 9:40 am
APPdiesel wrote:
kornegaylw wrote:
Thanks for addressing this. Yes, it is our old home locker room. Large and with stacked stone, probably one of the nicer ones for visiting teams.

I've been in the old Home Locker Room, very nice locker rooms. But you are correct, we took some SF from the locker room and gave it to the new "grab and go food/bev" concession. Probably lost 300 SF of locker room. Still a nice locker room for an away team, just might be a tad small now.

AppState89

Unread post by AppState89 » Fri Jan 12, 2024 12:37 pm

kornegaylw wrote:
Bootsy wrote:
AppSt94 wrote:

For those teams, coaches and ADs..... MIDDLE finger all the way up to their mouth. Screws the chicken "POOPS" (i'll be nice)!!!
AppState89 AKA Robert Martin :D :D

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Appalachian Football”