Here is the link to the fall sports streaming schedule.

https://appstatesports.com/news/2023/8/ ... edule.aspx

Jose. Best App passing qb in recent memory?

mountaineerman
School: Appalachian State

Re: Jose. Best App passing qb in recent memory?

Unread post by mountaineerman » Tue Sep 12, 2023 7:17 pm

yosef95 wrote:
Tue Sep 12, 2023 11:30 am
Nobody has mentioned this, but dude can toss the ball. Cant remember an App qb with better arm. 2 games, but still. Like when he takes hike and jacks it
You missed Brice last year. Hands down the best arm App has ever had. Watch some film. Joey is going to be good .

MAD Doctor

Unread post by MAD Doctor » Tue Sep 12, 2023 8:41 pm

https://youtube.com/watch?v=9E9ftsaHtWw&feature=shared

I apologize. Couldn’t help myself. :lol:

J_Mountaineers

Unread post by J_Mountaineers » Tue Sep 12, 2023 9:13 pm

Joey Dimes can deal it

ericsaid

Unread post by ericsaid » Wed Sep 13, 2023 8:18 am

Saint3333 wrote:
Tue Sep 12, 2023 12:16 pm
Love what Joey brings and looking forward to seeing much more of him. But I'm not ready to put him ahead of Brice after 90 minutes of play. I hope he is though!
It's not that I think he is better overall but I think his release is faster and he seems to make faster decisions. It'll play out over the course of the year though.

I'm not sure how the coaches go back to Burger when he's healthy unless Joey just bombs the next two weeks.

ericsaid

Unread post by ericsaid » Wed Sep 13, 2023 8:20 am

mountaineerman wrote:
Tue Sep 12, 2023 7:17 pm
yosef95 wrote:
Nobody has mentioned this, but dude can toss the ball. Cant remember an App qb with better arm. 2 games, but still. Like when he takes hike and jacks it
You missed Brice last year. Hands down the best arm App has ever had. Watch some film. Joey is going to be good .
Brice had a cannon but his release wasn't nearly as quick as Joey's. I think what made many of Joey's throws against UNC amd GWU possible was that he can read his key and have the ball out in what seems like half a second. Brice sort of has a wind up which hurt him when he was being pressured. Joey just flicks it out there.

Not sure anyone at App will throw a better 50/50 ball than Brice did in 2021 though. Having Sutton amd Hennigan actually bring those balls down helped a lot though.

Yosefus

Unread post by Yosefus » Wed Sep 13, 2023 8:35 am

ericsaid wrote:
Wed Sep 13, 2023 8:20 am
mountaineerman wrote:
Tue Sep 12, 2023 7:17 pm
yosef95 wrote:
Brice had a cannon but his release wasn't nearly as quick as Joey's. I think what made many of Joey's throws against UNC amd GWU possible was that he can read his key and have the ball out in what seems like half a second. Brice sort of has a wind up which hurt him when he was being pressured. Joey just flicks it out there.

Not sure anyone at App will throw a better 50/50 ball than Brice did in 2021 though. Having Sutton amd Hennigan actually bring those balls down helped a lot though.
Don't know if his record will prove it true but he is more athletic than, Burger, Brice, Thomas, Lamb in recent memories going back to the GOAT. He stands in pocket and takes a shot, puts his head down to get more yardage on runs. Slippery out of pocket and can run. I like what is saw on accuracy too. He did make a huge mistake on the only turnover for either team in that game but I will put that up as a learning experience.
Not sure how the heels season will turn out but I believe that is the most talented team we will face this year and we were down to last play in double ot.

BambooRdApp

Unread post by BambooRdApp » Wed Sep 13, 2023 8:41 am

I have not seen enough to determine if more athletic than Burger. Burger appears faster from a running standpoint...but we only got one quarter from Burger (if that) since injured in Q1 although kept playing.
Joey appears to be a good combination of passing and running.
Today I Give My All For Appalachian State!!
#FreeMillerHillForMoMoney!!
#SleeveStripesWereTheBomb!!
#99ForPresident!!

t4pizza

Unread post by t4pizza » Wed Sep 13, 2023 10:14 am

From the reports I have heard, Burger is the better athlete and faster than Joey. I know we got a limited view of Burger, and he was injured during that time, but everyone has to remember that throughout spring and fall camp Burger was able to separate himself and win the starters role for a reason. Not saying he gets the job back when he is healed and healthy, but people must acknowledge and remember that at least in practice and scrimmages, he won the job initially. Now game play is totally different and Joey has played pretty good so far. Lets hope he keeps it up and improves on that completion percentage at UNC.

AtlAppMan

Unread post by AtlAppMan » Wed Sep 13, 2023 10:23 am

My observations:

I really like what I see from Joey. He appears to have the IT factor and immediately passes the eye test. He appears very comfortable with the speed of the game, quick with his reads, seems to progress through his receivers, has a very quick draw and release, has excellent zip on ball, seems to have plenty of arm strength to get it anywhere on the field, can run it when needed. This is what I see today through 1.5 games. Basically I like everything I have seen.

That all being said, he is young and new to FBS. He has plenty of areas for improvement and decision making. Hopefully under Ponce, he will continue to develop and we are just seeing the beginning of a maturing process that will culminate into a great final product. This means he looks very good now AND he has a high ceiling, IMO. With his existing skills he has the potential to be one of the best we have seen at App.

Over the last couple of years and the lack of consistency from some players and the team, I want to see a bigger body of work before I conclude anything. I really really like what I see today so my expectation is we will likely see a great player emerging and developing. If so, it will be a fun ride for the fans.
Last edited by AtlAppMan on Wed Sep 13, 2023 10:29 am, edited 1 time in total.

Bigdaddyg1

Unread post by Bigdaddyg1 » Wed Sep 13, 2023 10:29 am

I think the whole key to this topic lies in the title- recent memory. We are often victims of recency bias.

ASUPATCH

Unread post by ASUPATCH » Wed Sep 13, 2023 10:34 am

Still think the coaching staff has the training wheels on him as well. Cannot wait to see what he can do when they open it up for him.
Appalachian State, Better than your school since 1899!!!!

MrCraig

Unread post by MrCraig » Wed Sep 13, 2023 12:17 pm

I'm all on the Joey Dimes bandwagon. However, remember how good Zac Thomas looked his first few games? Then, by the end of his App career folks on this board were calling for him to be benched in order to get the younger guys some reps. I'm not saying that will be the case with Aguilar, I'm just saying 2 games is a very small sample size.

ericsaid

Unread post by ericsaid » Wed Sep 13, 2023 12:27 pm

Bigdaddyg1 wrote:
Wed Sep 13, 2023 10:29 am
I think the whole key to this topic lies in the title- recent memory. We are often victims of recency bias.
Are we? I'd still argue that Jackson was the most talented of the QB's App had in the latter FCS years. I think he would've made a good FBS option as well. Dude could really spin the ball and move.

I think with Joey, you just see an amazing release. It's like he makes up his mind to go and the ball is out, there is no wind up, pushing, etc. He see's it and flicks it out, whether it's 8 yards or 40 yards. It's pretty wild to see.

Bigdaddyg1

Unread post by Bigdaddyg1 » Wed Sep 13, 2023 12:33 pm

ericsaid wrote:
Wed Sep 13, 2023 12:27 pm
Bigdaddyg1 wrote:
Are we? I'd still argue that Jackson was the most talented of the QB's App had in the latter FCS years. I think he would've made a good FBS option as well. Dude could really spin the ball and move.

I think with Joey, you just see an amazing release. It's like he makes up his mind to go and the ball is out, there is no wind up, pushing, etc. He see's it and flicks it out, whether it's 8 yards or 40 yards. It's pretty wild to see.
I'm not necessarily saying that's the case but it's easy to crown someone "the best" based on small sample sizes. From what I've seen the kid looks pretty good and could be a difference maker. Good arguments as to aspects of previous QB's we have had. I thought early ZT was way more impressive than later ZT but many believe that was a product of play calling. AE could zip it without much windup but you are right Joey has IT so far.

Saint3333

Unread post by Saint3333 » Wed Sep 13, 2023 12:41 pm

Are we still playing this game:

appdaze

Unread post by appdaze » Wed Sep 13, 2023 1:28 pm

I feel bad for Burger. The man went 7/11 with a TD in his first start with broken bones and y'all have already shipped him out of town. He might have been a bit shakier but sometimes it's easier to come off the bench and shine because you feel like you got nothing to lose and everything to gain. I hope the coaches give Burger another shot and don't write hime off and give him a plane ticket like some here have.

AtlAppMan

Unread post by AtlAppMan » Wed Sep 13, 2023 1:36 pm

Bigdaddyg1 wrote:
Wed Sep 13, 2023 12:33 pm
ericsaid wrote:
Wed Sep 13, 2023 12:27 pm
Bigdaddyg1 wrote:

I'm not necessarily saying that's the case but it's easy to crown someone "the best" based on small sample sizes. From what I've seen the kid looks pretty good and could be a difference maker. Good arguments as to aspects of previous QB's we have had. I thought early ZT was way more impressive than later ZT but many believe that was a product of play calling. AE could zip it without much windup but you are right Joey has IT so far.
Interesting point you are making about ZT as I agree with you on his 4 yr progress report. He looked great at Penn St. Maybe one of his best performances. He got hurt mid-career at App. Don't know if that had any impact. He seemed more tentative his last year or two with some inconsistencies. I loved the guy and think is was one of our better QBs.

On Chase, now that I reflect back on his career here, he came in very good, we know his strengths and weaknesses. However, I can't really see there was much progress in his development over the two years. I also loved the guy and he had a very good career here.

I am hoping Joey develops and improves over his career here. That is the unknown at this point.

yosef95

Unread post by yosef95 » Wed Sep 13, 2023 1:46 pm

Everyone seems to like Burger, he's just out, so we are hoping next guy up can do well

MrCraig

Unread post by MrCraig » Wed Sep 13, 2023 2:02 pm

appdaze wrote:
Wed Sep 13, 2023 1:28 pm
I feel bad for Burger. The man went 7/11 with a TD in his first start with broken bones and y'all have already shipped him out of town. He might have been a bit shakier but sometimes it's easier to come off the bench and shine because you feel like you got nothing to lose and everything to gain. I hope the coaches give Burger another shot and don't write hime off and give him a plane ticket like some here have.
Aguilar only has one more year of eligibility after this year, while Burger is a redshirt Freshman. Even if Aguilar is the guy going forward, Burger will almost certainly get another shot when Aguilar graduates, as long as he doesn't transfer out.

311neers

Unread post by 311neers » Wed Sep 13, 2023 2:31 pm

MrCraig wrote:
Wed Sep 13, 2023 2:02 pm
appdaze wrote:
Wed Sep 13, 2023 1:28 pm
Aguilar only has one more year of eligibility after this year, while Burger is a redshirt Freshman. Even if Aguilar is the guy going forward, Burger will almost certainly get another shot when Aguilar graduates, as long as he doesn't transfer out.
Play them both. Shoot, USCjr plays 3 qbs in their lineup. Haha!

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Appalachian Football”