Here is the link to the fall sports streaming schedule.

https://appstatesports.com/news/2023/8/ ... edule.aspx

Recruiting, 2014

EastHallApp
School: Appalachian State

Re: Recruiting, 2014

Unread post by EastHallApp » Thu Nov 14, 2013 9:45 pm

Recruits can sign early enrollment papers for January already, right? Wonder if App will publicly announce any of those or wait until they're enrolled.

AppSt94

Unread post by AppSt94 » Thu Nov 14, 2013 10:21 pm

Stringer signed his LOI today. He is graduating in December.

AppGrad78

Unread post by AppGrad78 » Thu Nov 14, 2013 10:47 pm

mtnjax

Unread post by mtnjax » Thu Nov 14, 2013 11:22 pm

the new financial agreement will be interesting to see if helps or hurts.

firemoose

Unread post by firemoose » Thu Nov 14, 2013 11:30 pm

AppSt94 wrote:Stringer signed his LOI today. He is graduating in December.
Here's where the new rule comes into effect and is going to add a wonderful time to my life, 78's life, and the recruiting sites. Technically he didn't sign a NLI (LOI). He signed the new financial aid agreement. All it means is that those of us who follow recruiting will have to figure out what someone is "signing" when they use the word. Most of the recruits who sign these will come anyway but it's still not an NLI.

firemoose

Unread post by firemoose » Thu Nov 14, 2013 11:39 pm

mtnjax wrote:the new financial agreement will be interesting to see if helps or hurts.
To reply to your earlier post-No our "liquid" recruits don't apply. ;)

To be honest I think it's going to be helpful for the recruits and the big time P5 schools but it's going to be a pain for the G5 schools and the same, maybe a bit more, for the lower schools because it basically gives a kid a fallback, locks up a scholarship, but allows them to change their mind even at the last minute should a better offer come along. The financial-aid agreement is not the same as a NLI, which binds a recruit to a college after signing. The financial-aid agreement locks the university into providing a scholarship but does not commit the prospect to the university. In other words, recruits could end up signing a binding NLI with another college on signing day. Think Devonte Graham in football only no requirement to stand by your signature. BCS schools only really have to worry about other BCS schools poaching a recruit. We have to worry about most of the P5 schools plus our own G5, among others. I'm guessing it's going to mean a few more gray hairs for coaches.

BurlingtonApp

Unread post by BurlingtonApp » Fri Nov 15, 2013 1:27 am

Moose,

Have you heard anything about App's interest in Jourdan Osinskie? He plays at Southern Alamance outside of Burlington and is an absolute beast. He came to App on a visit with a couple other players for I believe the Charleston Southern game. Just wondering because I believe he could be a huge diamond in the rough get for us.

firemoose

Unread post by firemoose » Fri Nov 15, 2013 2:54 am

BurlingtonApp wrote:Moose,

Have you heard anything about App's interest in Jourdan Osinskie? He plays at Southern Alamance outside of Burlington and is an absolute beast. He came to App on a visit with a couple other players for I believe the Charleston Southern game. Just wondering because I believe he could be a huge diamond in the rough get for us.
I haven't heard much since the visit. I did look him up at the time. He came to Southern Alamance from the Orlando FL area, Davenport if I remember correctly. He was a Pro Style QB there and listed as a ATH/WR from South A. I'm just guessing here but since we were working Scaife and Caruso at the time and had a huge number of offers out to WR's then that it could have been a factor in interest. Another guess here but I would say they might be waiting for the final season film if there is any interest at all. I'll do some digging and see if I can find out anything.

firemoose

Unread post by firemoose » Fri Nov 15, 2013 3:23 am

Just to make it official LB Devan Stringer (5′ 11″ 195) of Gainesville High School in Gainesville, GA signed a Financial-Aid Agreement to App State. I have updated both the Main Page and his player page. As stated above this is not the same as a National Letter of Intent so I have divided the 2014 Recruiting Main Page accordingly. I'll move players to each new section as the different types of agreements are signed.

AppSt94

Unread post by AppSt94 » Fri Nov 15, 2013 6:48 am

firemoose wrote:
Here's where the new rule comes into effect and is going to add a wonderful time to my life, 78's life, and the recruiting sites. Technically he didn't sign a NLI (LOI). He signed the new financial aid agreement. All it means is that those of us who follow recruiting will have to figure out what someone is "signing" when they use the word. Most of the recruits who sign these will come anyway but it's still not an NLI.
So to be clear, this is not a binding contract? So what is the purpose to the signing?

AppStateNation

Unread post by AppStateNation » Fri Nov 15, 2013 7:45 am

AppSt94 wrote:
firemoose wrote:
So to be clear, this is not a binding contract? So what is the purpose to the signing?
It is binding from the school's end. The school HAS to give them a scholarship for one academic year as long as the prospect fulfills the terms (aka be eligible when they graduate etc). However, the prospect is not binded to the school and can commit somewhere else. This was intended to help prospects who enroll early because they could actually be showing up to school with just a verbal promise and no written binding proof that they are in fact receiving a scholarship.

You can actually see an agreement that was signed by an LSU commit that he tweeted out which I assume is probably very similar to the one App uses:

Kgfish

Unread post by Kgfish » Fri Nov 15, 2013 8:25 am

WVAPPeer wrote:Didn't Moose report that we had something like 17 OL currently on the roster who will return next year?
There are 17 returning OL who can return next season. 2 are redshirt scholarship players and 3 are freshmen walk ons.
No Generation Has The Right To Contract Debts Greater Than Can Be Paid Off During It's Own Existence.

George Washington

firemoose

Unread post by firemoose » Fri Nov 15, 2013 9:19 am

Back online. From reports ATH A J Howard (5′ 11″ 180) of Harris County High School in Hamilton, GA also signed a Financial-Aid Agreement to App State. I have updated both the Main Page and his player page. I expect a couple of more.

firemoose

Unread post by firemoose » Fri Nov 15, 2013 9:32 am

AppStateNation wrote:
AppSt94 wrote:So to be clear, this is not a binding contract? So what is the purpose to the signing?
It is binding from the school's end. The school HAS to give them a scholarship for one academic year as long as the prospect fulfills the terms (aka be eligible when they graduate etc). However, the prospect is not binded to the school and can commit somewhere else. This was intended to help prospects who enroll early because they could actually be showing up to school with just a verbal promise and no written binding proof that they are in fact receiving a scholarship.

You can actually see an agreement that was signed by an LSU commit that he tweeted out which I assume is probably very similar to the one App uses:
Thanks John. Was offline for a bit.

94', John described it well. As I stated in another post above this is of advantage to the recruits, as it was supposed to be, and, in my opinion, to the high profile schools since they can have unlimited contact with players and advertise them. So can we and any other school at any level but it gets a bit more complex with schools at our level as it locks us in to giving a scholarship, which is fine if the recruit signs, but if they get a BCS offer at the last minute, then they can back out and we're left scrambling to fill a spot that we may have quit recruiting for. The same thing applies to the P5 schools but they pretty much only have to worry about another of their kind poaching a recruit. We have to worry about most of them plus schools at our own level.

We may see a perfect example of this in another of our commits that I expect will sign a financial-aid agreement very soon but will likely be receiving some higher offers before February. If it wasn't for his position he would have already picked them up.

There was another thread on here that was posted about this and had links to news stories. I don't know if your saw it but they explain it pretty well, from a recruits and BCS schools point of view. The link to the thread is below. Hope that helps a little.

viewtopic.php?f=4&t=3719

ViewCrew87

Unread post by ViewCrew87 » Fri Nov 15, 2013 2:36 pm

The only good thing coming out of Southern Alamance is HWY 87 :D ....J/K

WVAPPeer
School: Other

Unread post by WVAPPeer » Fri Nov 15, 2013 3:16 pm

ViewCrew87 wrote:

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
WARRIORS RULE ALAMANCE COUNTY !!!
"Montani Semper Liberi"

The Dude Abides!!!

BurlingtonApp

Unread post by BurlingtonApp » Fri Nov 15, 2013 3:46 pm

WVAPPeer wrote:
ViewCrew87 wrote:

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
Ugh. Disgusting. :mrgreen:

kiddbrewer

Unread post by kiddbrewer » Fri Nov 15, 2013 7:06 pm

WVAPPeer wrote: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
By my former connection as their tennis coach, I'm more of a Cavalier.

Saint3333

Unread post by Saint3333 » Fri Nov 15, 2013 9:26 pm

Eastern Eagles here.

AppState89

Unread post by AppState89 » Fri Nov 15, 2013 11:03 pm

SW Edgecombe 15 F
HIGH POINT Andrews 43 --- :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
AppState89 AKA Robert Martin :D :D

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic