Here is the link to the fall sports streaming schedule.

https://appstatesports.com/news/2023/8/ ... edule.aspx

Wyoming Discussion

AppinVA
School: Appalachian State

Re: Wyoming Discussion

Unread post by AppinVA » Sun Sep 24, 2023 12:44 pm

Wait. Who was it that fixed those veggie burgers???

IT’S YOU!!!!! :lol:
"Some people call me hillbilly. Some people call me mountain man. You can call me Appalachian. Appalachian's what I am."-- Del McCoury Band

AppStateNews

Unread post by AppStateNews » Sun Sep 24, 2023 12:44 pm

AppStFan1 wrote:
Sun Sep 24, 2023 12:37 pm
AppStateNews wrote:
Sun Sep 24, 2023 12:29 pm
PhillyApp1 wrote:
Sun Sep 24, 2023 12:25 pm

3- Bohl had the balls to blitz the last play, a screen or QB run should have beaten it, IMHO

Coach Bohl knew if he kept the game close, he had a chance.
We kept the game close by play calling that was working but not successful in TD's...... FCS coaching style will not win in FBS ....
Score as often as possible and kill the opponents will wins.... We kept them in the game, period!!!
And they called the screen. Everybody on our sideline knew the pressure was coming. Screen was set up perfectly. JA just didn't read it right.
In games like this there is so much to nitpick. I think with how we have won I understand the frustrations. There are certainly some crazy statements but I think the bottom line is that everyone who loves the program wants to win.

When you dominate the stats you expect to at least come out with a win. Some blame Shawn for the field goals but we had to get points. You know we can't win with just field goals but you also can't get inside the 20 and not get any points so I get it.

Serious question on him vetoing a call. How often does Shawn do that? Those who blame Shawn for appearing to love that call have to remember that Ponce is making the calls. I would be curious to hear the thought process of Ponce in a lot of these situations. I wonder what he saw that he made that play call and what Shawn was seeing that made him decide to veto it?
I don't know how often it happens as I'm not typically that close to the staff when on the sidelines. Wyoming has a weird rule that all on field credentials had to stay in the team box. That's never happened before so I'm usually in the corner trying to get a better angle of the game.
tAPPedInSports.net

Not affiliated with the above website

AppStateNews

Unread post by AppStateNews » Sun Sep 24, 2023 12:45 pm

AppinVA wrote:
Sun Sep 24, 2023 12:43 pm
AppStateNews wrote:
Sun Sep 24, 2023 12:38 pm
AppinVA wrote:
Sun Sep 24, 2023 12:35 pm
AppStateNews wrote:
Sun Sep 24, 2023 12:31 pm
AppinVA wrote:
Sun Sep 24, 2023 12:28 pm

If you know all that, you are waaaaay too much on the inside to be mixing it up with a bunch of fans on a message board. And I’ll stop there.
As I stated more than once, I was on the sidelines. I heard the communication. I won't repeat what Clark said on a public forum because I want to keep it family friendly, but Clark was adamant we were not running that play against the stacked box.
To hear all that you’d have to either be in earshot in a loud stadium where yelling doesn’t go as far as a whisper in a reading room or on the headset. Either way, my point stands.
I heard Clark as I was standing next to him. And again, I'm not going to repeat what he said, but I knew what the play call he was referring to was and I know the words he said to veto said play call.

Couldn't care less if you believe me or not. It doesn't impact me in any way if you do or don't.

It also wasn't that loud in there...
I’m going to let it go.
Cool. Again, couldn't care less if you believe me or not. I won't lose sleep over it.
tAPPedInSports.net

PhillyApp1

Unread post by PhillyApp1 » Sun Sep 24, 2023 12:47 pm

AppStateNews wrote:
PhillyApp1 wrote:

3- Bohl had the balls to blitz the last play, a screen or QB run should have beaten it, IMHO

We kept the game close by play calling that was working but not successful in TD's...... FCS coaching style will not win in FBS ....
Score as often as possible and kill the opponents will wins.... We kept them in the game, period!!!
And they called the screen. Everybody on our sideline knew the pressure was coming. Screen was set up perfectly. JA just didn't read it right.
AppState News
I guess you agree with me on my other observations???

We got played because WE didn't go for the KILL , over and over again...... its hard to watch because WE coaches and players dominated on the field BUT left the door open for 3 plays to take a WIN from US.

It's just replay after replay after replay...... WE better coach and play better this next month .... Is 7-5 okay... 8-4 okay ????

appst89
Site Admin

Unread post by appst89 » Sun Sep 24, 2023 12:47 pm

AppStateNews wrote:
Sun Sep 24, 2023 12:45 pm
AppinVA wrote:
AppStateNews wrote:
AppinVA wrote:
AppStateNews wrote:
Sun Sep 24, 2023 12:31 pm

As I stated more than once, I was on the sidelines. I heard the communication. I won't repeat what Clark said on a public forum because I want to keep it family friendly, but Clark was adamant we were not running that play against the stacked box.
To hear all that you’d have to either be in earshot in a loud stadium where yelling doesn’t go as far as a whisper in a reading room or on the headset. Either way, my point stands.
I heard Clark as I was standing next to him. And again, I'm not going to repeat what he said, but I knew what the play call he was referring to was and I know the words he said to veto said play call.

Couldn't care less if you believe me or not. It doesn't impact me in any way if you do or don't.

I’m going to let it go.
Cool. Again, couldn't care less if you believe me or not. I won't lose sleep over it.
He’s not insinuating that he doesn’t believe you.

Yosef10

Unread post by Yosef10 » Sun Sep 24, 2023 12:50 pm

:ugeek:
AppStateNews wrote:
Sun Sep 24, 2023 8:50 am
The thing is, if Clark made the opposite calls than he did, the same people bitching and complaining would still be bitching and complaining.

I haven't gone back to watch fully (I will when I get back home), but from the highlights I've watched, I think the only thing questionable is the 3rd down pass to essentially give an extra timeout to Wyoming -- which ended up not being an issue since they blocked the FG any way.

Going for the FG was 100% the right call. Go up by 8 with an offense that couldn't do anything 95% of the night. Obviously execution wasn't the best.
Do you think the way to score the most points in a football game is to kick two FGs on 4th and 2 from the WYO 8, and 4th and Goal from the WYO 3?

Yosef10

Unread post by Yosef10 » Sun Sep 24, 2023 12:52 pm

AppStateNews wrote:
Sun Sep 24, 2023 9:12 am
LKN_Lawyer wrote:
Sun Sep 24, 2023 8:51 am
DenverOfTheEast wrote:
Sun Sep 24, 2023 8:32 am
Bigdaddyg1 wrote:
Sun Sep 24, 2023 8:16 am
I looked back at 2016 as an example. We went 10-3 and people thought we were fantastic. We beat Savannah State, ODU who had just moved up, Idaho, New Mexico State, got throttled by Miami at home and beat some bad Belt teams. I'll rephrase the earlier question. Since the 2016 season how many "quality wins" do we have- the opponent finished with at least 7 wins (just use that as a base) and how many bad losses (the opponent finished with a .500 or worse final record)? I'm guessing that we have more bad losses than quality wins. We beat CCU when they were ranked. After that what?
This is a great post...

Satt coached against 5 ranked teams during his total tenure.

Clark coached against 3 ranked teams alone on one season. And the SBC the last 3 seasons has had multiple top 25 ranked teams, ULL, Coastal. It's a different tax bracket Clark is coaching in.
And we are still a better overall program than these programs and have proven multiple times that we should be beating them on the field (save the one ULL game where they just were clearly the better team).

No one is saying that we must win every game but it sure it is easier as a fanbase to handle loses when the coach is out there taking risks trying to win the game instead of having the same predictable issues arise.

It’s better to strike out swinging trying to put the ball in play than take strike 3 hoping to walk in the winning run.
While your baseball analogy is correct, it's apples to oranges.

What if Clark played for the win and Joey threw another pick 6 or Noel fumbled and returned for a TD? Then it's "OMG CLARK! GAME WAS IN HAND! JUST KICK THE FG!!! WHAT ARE YOU DOING?" by the same exact people saying he should go for the win.

Both of those potential things happen WAY more often than a blocked FG. Let alone a blocked FG to take a perfect bounce into the defenders hands. Nobody could have expected what happen to happen. It was the first time in their history that kind of play happened at all. It just happened to be at a very critical time in the game against us.

There's no question we were the better team. But sometimes, the better team doesn't win.

Ultimately, this was on the execution of the players in the red zone, some weird stuff Wyoming was going in the middle on FG attempts (caught wind of what it was and it's not anywhere close to legal if that is what was happening), and an odd lateral play with another ball that hit Davis in the hands and he drops it.

The game plan was perfection. It was ran to perfection outside of 3 plays (4 if you count the last play blunder). Anybody saying the gameplan was poor either didn't pay attention or knows nothing about football. We took a team that usually has the ball for 40 minutes and held them to under 20... that is gameplan perfection! We flipped the script on them and they were lost.

We were not out coached, out schemed, etc. We were out executed in 3 crucial plays (which yes, I understand ultimately is the head coaches responsibility). If our players out execute them on literally 1 more play, we win.

Again, I get execution is on the head coach. But, it is also week 4 with a lot of new faces on the staff. It's going to take time to gel. This is not an excuse, (I am not excusing it. It needs to be fixed and fixed soon) but an understanding of why execution can be sloppy in some cases. It sucks, but it's going to happen. That's why there are 12 guaranteed games. The fire and emotion on the leaders of this team after the loss was something I haven't seen since 2017. We'll be fine.

And just remember -- although Clark adamantly denies it, this is a rebuild year.
No one on earth who has watched App’s 4 games this season would call this a rebuild. This team is good enough to win the Sun Belt. But, go ahead and set your bar low to protect your guy.

Appmountaineers19
School: Other

Unread post by Appmountaineers19 » Sun Sep 24, 2023 12:53 pm

Yosef10 wrote:
Sun Sep 24, 2023 12:50 pm
AppStateNews wrote:
The thing is, if Clark made the opposite calls than he did, the same people bitching and complaining would still be bitching and complaining.

I haven't gone back to watch fully (I will when I get back home), but from the highlights I've watched, I think the only thing questionable is the 3rd down pass to essentially give an extra timeout to Wyoming -- which ended up not being an issue since they blocked the FG any way.

Going for the FG was 100% the right call. Go up by 8 with an offense that couldn't do anything 95% of the night. Obviously execution wasn't the best.
Do you think the way to score the most points in a football game is to kick two FGs on 4th and 2 from the WYO 8, and 4th and Goal from the WYO 3?
Your on the road get the points... you go for it and not scored its pretty deflating. Wouldn't have mattered what SC did. People would be bitching either way.

Appmountaineers19

Unread post by Appmountaineers19 » Sun Sep 24, 2023 12:54 pm

Yosef10 wrote:
Sun Sep 24, 2023 12:52 pm
AppStateNews wrote:
LKN_Lawyer wrote:
DenverOfTheEast wrote:
Bigdaddyg1 wrote:
I looked back at 2016 as an example. We went 10-3 and people thought we were fantastic. We beat Savannah State, ODU who had just moved up, Idaho, New Mexico State, got throttled by Miami at home and beat some bad Belt teams. I'll rephrase the earlier question. Since the 2016 season how many "quality wins" do we have- the opponent finished with at least 7 wins (just use that as a base) and how many bad losses (the opponent finished with a .500 or worse final record)? I'm guessing that we have more bad losses than quality wins. We beat CCU when they were ranked. After that what?
This is a great post...

Clark coached against 3 ranked teams alone on one season. And the SBC the last 3 seasons has had multiple top 25 ranked teams, ULL, Coastal. It's a different tax bracket Clark is coaching in.
And we are still a better overall program than these programs and have proven multiple times that we should be beating them on the field (save the one ULL game where they just were clearly the better team).

No one is saying that we must win every game but it sure it is easier as a fanbase to handle loses when the coach is out there taking risks trying to win the game instead of having the same predictable issues arise.

It’s better to strike out swinging trying to put the ball in play than take strike 3 hoping to walk in the winning run.

What if Clark played for the win and Joey threw another pick 6 or Noel fumbled and returned for a TD? Then it's "OMG CLARK! GAME WAS IN HAND! JUST KICK THE FG!!! WHAT ARE YOU DOING?" by the same exact people saying he should go for the win.

Both of those potential things happen WAY more often than a blocked FG. Let alone a blocked FG to take a perfect bounce into the defenders hands. Nobody could have expected what happen to happen. It was the first time in their history that kind of play happened at all. It just happened to be at a very critical time in the game against us.

There's no question we were the better team. But sometimes, the better team doesn't win.

Ultimately, this was on the execution of the players in the red zone, some weird stuff Wyoming was going in the middle on FG attempts (caught wind of what it was and it's not anywhere close to legal if that is what was happening), and an odd lateral play with another ball that hit Davis in the hands and he drops it.

The game plan was perfection. It was ran to perfection outside of 3 plays (4 if you count the last play blunder). Anybody saying the gameplan was poor either didn't pay attention or knows nothing about football. We took a team that usually has the ball for 40 minutes and held them to under 20... that is gameplan perfection! We flipped the script on them and they were lost.

We were not out coached, out schemed, etc. We were out executed in 3 crucial plays (which yes, I understand ultimately is the head coaches responsibility). If our players out execute them on literally 1 more play, we win.

Again, I get execution is on the head coach. But, it is also week 4 with a lot of new faces on the staff. It's going to take time to gel. This is not an excuse, (I am not excusing it. It needs to be fixed and fixed soon) but an understanding of why execution can be sloppy in some cases. It sucks, but it's going to happen. That's why there are 12 guaranteed games. The fire and emotion on the leaders of this team after the loss was something I haven't seen since 2017. We'll be fine.

And just remember -- although Clark adamantly denies it, this is a rebuild year.
No one on earth who has watched App’s 4 games this season would call this a rebuild. This team is good enough to win the Sun Belt. But, go ahead and set your bar low to protect your guy.
They have a good chance of winning the SB. You funny with your comments on all the forums

BambooRdApp

Unread post by BambooRdApp » Sun Sep 24, 2023 12:55 pm

Appmountaineers19 wrote:
Sun Sep 24, 2023 12:53 pm
Yosef10 wrote:
AppStateNews wrote:

Your on the road get the points... you go for it and not scored its pretty deflating. Wouldn't have mattered what SC did. People would be bitching either way.
I thought both were the right call at the time. If it were 4th and 2 at the 35/40 and in Q1/Q2... go for it.
Today I Give My All For Appalachian State!!
#FreeMillerHillForMoMoney!!
#SleeveStripesWereTheBomb!!
#99ForPresident!!

Yosef10

Unread post by Yosef10 » Sun Sep 24, 2023 12:58 pm

Appmountaineers19 wrote:
Sun Sep 24, 2023 12:54 pm
Yosef10 wrote:
AppStateNews wrote:
LKN_Lawyer wrote:
DenverOfTheEast wrote:

This is a great post...

They have a good chance of winning the SB. You funny with your comments on all the forums
Yes, they do. Not a rebuild year. You funny too.

Appmountaineers19

Unread post by Appmountaineers19 » Sun Sep 24, 2023 12:59 pm

Yosef10 wrote:
Sun Sep 24, 2023 12:58 pm
Appmountaineers19 wrote:
Sun Sep 24, 2023 12:54 pm
Yosef10 wrote:
AppStateNews wrote:
LKN_Lawyer wrote:

Yes, they do. Not a rebuild year. You funny too.
Thank you!!!

AppStateNews

Unread post by AppStateNews » Sun Sep 24, 2023 1:00 pm

PhillyApp1 wrote:
Sun Sep 24, 2023 12:47 pm
AppStateNews wrote:
PhillyApp1 wrote:

AppState News

We got played because WE didn't go for the KILL , over and over again...... its hard to watch because WE coaches and players dominated on the field BUT left the door open for 3 plays to take a WIN from US.

It's just replay after replay after replay...... WE better coach and play better this next month .... Is 7-5 okay... 8-4 okay ????
The TD wasn't a holding in the pocket. They ran that same exact play a minimum of 5 times prior.

The blocked FG was one guy destroying two in the middle. What I've been told (haven't gone back to watch) is he was able to destroy two by himself because the guys next to him intentionally stepped/fell/held on our o lines feet at the snap making it really easy to push through.

I've said all along I'm exciting and 8-4 regular season with next year getting back to the App State football we all know and love.

This team has also showed a lot of promise to have a special season now. But, we are a very young team. We will make mistakes. We made too many last night.

I understand the kill shot argument. But, you have to look at it from the other side. If we go for it on 4th down on any one of those attempts in the 1st half and don't get it, we are leaving points on the board in a game we knew was going to be a defensive battle. If you know it's going to be an offense shootout or our defense was unexpectedly playing terrible, then yes, you go for the TD. But, we were confident we could slow down their offense with our defensive game plan so you HAVE to take points where you can against a team like that.

It wasn't not taking the kill shot. It was not chasing points in a game where points were at a premium.
tAPPedInSports.net

AppStateNews

Unread post by AppStateNews » Sun Sep 24, 2023 1:01 pm

appst89 wrote:
AppStateNews wrote:
Sun Sep 24, 2023 12:45 pm
AppinVA wrote:
AppStateNews wrote:
AppinVA wrote:

I’m going to let it go.
He’s not insinuating that he doesn’t believe you.
Not the way it reads to me, but cool. No skin off my back either way.
tAPPedInSports.net

AppStateNews

Unread post by AppStateNews » Sun Sep 24, 2023 1:04 pm

Yosef10 wrote:
AppStateNews wrote:

Against a team you new was going to come down to a defensive battle at that point in the game, yes.

If it was against an explosive offense or our defense was struggling, no.
tAPPedInSports.net

AppStateNews

Unread post by AppStateNews » Sun Sep 24, 2023 1:05 pm

Yosef10 wrote:
AppStateNews wrote:
LKN_Lawyer wrote:
DenverOfTheEast wrote:
Bigdaddyg1 wrote:
This is a great post...

The teams has progressed faster than expected. True. You know how that happens? Coaching... wild, right?

You claim that Clark can't coach yet also agree they have the players ready to play this year. So, which one is it? Can he or can't he coach?
Last edited by AppStateNews on Sun Sep 24, 2023 1:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
tAPPedInSports.net

Yosef10

Unread post by Yosef10 » Sun Sep 24, 2023 1:05 pm

AppStateNews wrote:
Sun Sep 24, 2023 1:00 pm
PhillyApp1 wrote:
AppStateNews wrote:
PhillyApp1 wrote:

AppState News

The TD wasn't a holding in the pocket. They ran that same exact play a minimum of 5 times prior.

The blocked FG was one guy destroying two in the middle. What I've been told (haven't gone back to watch) is he was able to destroy two by himself because the guys next to him intentionally stepped/fell/held on our o lines feet at the snap making it really easy to push through.

I've said all along I'm exciting and 8-4 regular season with next year getting back to the App State football we all know and love.

This team has also showed a lot of promise to have a special season now. But, we are a very young team. We will make mistakes. We made too many last night.

I understand the kill shot argument. But, you have to look at it from the other side. If we go for it on 4th down on any one of those attempts in the 1st half and don't get it, we are leaving points on the board in a game we knew was going to be a defensive battle. If you know it's going to be an offense shootout or our defense was unexpectedly playing terrible, then yes, you go for the TD. But, we were confident we could slow down their offense with our defensive game plan so you HAVE to take points where you can against a team like that.

It wasn't not taking the kill shot. It was not chasing points in a game where points were at a premium.
Football has changed man. FGs don’t win you games anymore, and missing out on 3 points, or even 6, in the first half doesn’t lose you the game anymore when offenses aren’t 3 yards and a cloud of dust. Fact is, the math says more often than not you’re going to convert either of those 4th downs and turn that into 7 points. It’s mindblowing it’s 2023 and folks haven’t learned that yet.

Yosef10

Unread post by Yosef10 » Sun Sep 24, 2023 1:07 pm

AppStateNews wrote:
Sun Sep 24, 2023 1:05 pm
Yosef10 wrote:
AppStateNews wrote:
LKN_Lawyer wrote:
DenverOfTheEast wrote:

This is a great post...

The teams has progressed faster than expected. True. You know how that happens? Coaching... wild, right?
I’ve said it elsewhere. I, and others who do call out Clark’s OBVIOUS shortcomings on gameday, also applaud him for the good work he’s done in other areas. The issue is there are those who for whatever reason can’t admit the OBVIOUS when it comes to gameday. And that’s why these threads turn the way they do.

PhillyApp1

Unread post by PhillyApp1 » Sun Sep 24, 2023 1:09 pm

ASN

I am excited about next year no matter who the coach is..... we definitely have upgraded our players..... praying for a lot of progress in the next 8 games from both coaches and players.

1-0 ....... again !!

AppStateNews

Unread post by AppStateNews » Sun Sep 24, 2023 1:10 pm

Yosef10 wrote:
Sun Sep 24, 2023 1:07 pm
AppStateNews wrote:
Sun Sep 24, 2023 1:05 pm
Yosef10 wrote:
AppStateNews wrote:
LKN_Lawyer wrote:

I’ve said it elsewhere. I, and others who do call out Clark’s OBVIOUS shortcomings on gameday, also applaud him for the good work he’s done in other areas. The issue is there are those who for whatever reason can’t admit the OBVIOUS when it comes to gameday. And that’s why these threads turn the way they do.
Because it's only "obvious" to the armchair QBs that have zero idea about football and discuss opinions only.

But anybody that has knowledge of football is just making excuses even though they are facts.
tAPPedInSports.net

Locked Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Appalachian Football”