Here is the link to the fall sports streaming schedule.

https://appstatesports.com/news/2023/8/ ... edule.aspx

Miller hill

appstate24
School: Appalachian State

Re: Miller hill

Unread post by appstate24 » Wed Sep 20, 2023 9:26 am

biggie wrote:
Wed Sep 20, 2023 9:04 am
Capt. Ed wrote:
Wed Sep 20, 2023 6:38 am
Forgive me for my Risk Management background, but that looks like a disaster waiting to happen.
Have you seen "suicide hill" behind the music building?
Seen it? If you were a student at App and didn’t sled down suicide hill, were you really even a student at App?! :lol: :lol:

Saw a dude hit the bricks head on, knocked out cold for a few seconds. Did that stop us from going again…nope :lol: :lol:

GO APPS!!

Capt. Ed

Unread post by Capt. Ed » Wed Sep 20, 2023 9:32 am

Hey, I asked for forgiveness in my post! But, anal or not, anyone should be able to see the problems with jamming that many people on a grassy hill with no possible way to get out in an emergency except to stampede. I read somewhere there were 8,000 people there Saturday.

For me, it's the most compelling reason to erect permanent stands and provide access for exits and for medical and security to easily enter. I was impressed there were undercover security folks sprinkled among the crowd.

I certainly hope we never have a serious problem on Miller Hill but it's something to think about for the future.

mike87

Unread post by mike87 » Wed Sep 20, 2023 10:00 am

I went in early to the first game with my granddaughter and played on the hill. It's really not that steep or intimidating. Appearances are misleading. You gotta know they have risk-managed the crap out of it. Students love it and that's what's important. They can squeeze the financials out of something else. I don't think there's any intention of removing the hill.

ASUFan4863

Unread post by ASUFan4863 » Wed Sep 20, 2023 10:22 am

Wally wrote:
Wed Sep 20, 2023 9:11 am
mike87 wrote:
Wed Sep 20, 2023 7:22 am
We need more Miller Hills in sports. What it's all about.
I personally fully enjoyed watching the students sliding down the impromptu slip 'n slide, aka Miller Hill. They were having the best time and will remember that for years... well, maybe. If the students have fun at the games, they will come back, and our students ARE the home field advantage at KBS.
That is why I have no issue with them storming the field. From a football POV, it doesn't make sense but if that experience makes a life long YC member or fan then it is worth it. Students pay thousands to just get the short end of the stick from the school and most locals 9 times out of 10.

canes_mj

Unread post by canes_mj » Wed Sep 20, 2023 10:42 am

I used to really dislike the hill because it was too far from the field and the view was terrible...I never sat on it but it still bothered me that others were sitting at such a terrible view...also seemed that people on it weren't paying attention to the game. NOW, with the regrading and making it closer to the field I love it. It adds to KBS; it aesthetically looks good. It an extension of the student section with loud and rowdy students helping our home field advantage.

I will agree with the sentiment of the post re potential hazards, and think they need to be proactive with some preventative measures (idk what, not my area) to analyze and minimize potential safety issues. But it's really added to the stadium.

HighlandsApp

Unread post by HighlandsApp » Wed Sep 20, 2023 10:43 am

I hope with our attendance this year the rethinking keeping those temporary bleachers for the rest of the season and refunding the folks who paid for the rock garden.....

goapps93

Unread post by goapps93 » Wed Sep 20, 2023 10:49 am

Stepped concrete would increase safety and still allow students and others to pack in.
WE ARE YOSEF!

biggie
Site Admin

Unread post by biggie » Wed Sep 20, 2023 10:50 am

appstate24 wrote:
Wed Sep 20, 2023 9:26 am
biggie wrote:
Capt. Ed wrote:
Forgive me for my Risk Management background, but that looks like a disaster waiting to happen.
Seen it? If you were a student at App and didn’t sled down suicide hill, were you really even a student at App?! :lol: :lol:

Saw a dude hit the bricks head on, knocked out cold for a few seconds. Did that stop us from going again…nope :lol: :lol:

GO APPS!!
Amazingly the only sledding death I recall was in the stadium parking lot.

/\PP ST/\TE GRAD 09

Unread post by /\PP ST/\TE GRAD 09 » Wed Sep 20, 2023 11:16 am

Come to think of it... I don't think I ever returned my tray/sled to Welborn
Twitter: @brosef_yosef

Mjohn1988

Unread post by Mjohn1988 » Wed Sep 20, 2023 11:24 am

Yosef84 wrote:
Wed Sep 20, 2023 8:21 am
Appstate88 wrote:
Wed Sep 20, 2023 8:11 am
mike87 wrote:
Agree. Preserve Miller Hill (grass and trees) in the South End Zone at all cost. It's what makes KBS picturesque, unique and a bucket list stadium for all college football fans.
With due respect, I disagree. Miller Hill has a nostalgic aspect but the reality is that it is now overflow seating for every game. The view is offers if just bodies crammed together on a hill. There is a safety issue and we simply cannot continue charging premium prices to sit on wet grass. If we had unlimited resources and spaces, sure ....expand the other options and keep the hill. The hill is the obvious option for expanding our legit seats.

No intent to disrespect the opinion you offer. I just think it will be necessary and logical to expand that option.
Let’s start with I have no research to support my assumption but I’ll bet a lot of those folks on Miller Hill don’t want a seat. They want to be on the hill.

Bigdaddyg1

Unread post by Bigdaddyg1 » Wed Sep 20, 2023 11:42 am

If we did install aluminum or concrete bleachers on the hill would we still cram in students like we do now? Would it make any difference? Obviously on a rainy day you avoid the mud issues but otherwise unless the stadium administration limits the number of bodies you still have the same issue.

canes_mj

Unread post by canes_mj » Wed Sep 20, 2023 12:17 pm

Mjohn1988 wrote:
Wed Sep 20, 2023 11:24 am
Yosef84 wrote:
Appstate88 wrote:
mike87 wrote:
Agree. Preserve Miller Hill (grass and trees) in the South End Zone at all cost. It's what makes KBS picturesque, unique and a bucket list stadium for all college football fans.
With due respect, I disagree. Miller Hill has a nostalgic aspect but the reality is that it is now overflow seating for every game. The view is offers if just bodies crammed together on a hill. There is a safety issue and we simply cannot continue charging premium prices to sit on wet grass. If we had unlimited resources and spaces, sure ....expand the other options and keep the hill. The hill is the obvious option for expanding our legit seats.

No intent to disrespect the opinion you offer. I just think it will be necessary and logical to expand that option.
Let’s start with I have no research to support my assumption but I’ll bet a lot of those folks on Miller Hill don’t want a seat. They want to be on the hill.
Agree. And we have the NEZ to put bleachers/seats/suites....night and day how much better the NEZ looks with having those extra seast underneath.

App4that

Unread post by App4that » Wed Sep 20, 2023 1:56 pm

biggie wrote:
Wed Sep 20, 2023 10:50 am
appstate24 wrote:
biggie wrote:
Capt. Ed wrote:

GO APPS!!
Freshman year I had business calculus with a girl that was almost part of that statistic. Rode a cafeteria tray down Suicide Hill during spring semester. Problem was ASU maintenance had been doing some culvert work between semesters and there was exposed rebar that was buried under the snow. Caught her in the leg and missed her femoral artery by inches. She was on crutches for most of that semester but grateful to be above ground at all.

I thought that class was bad enough on its own!

BeauFoster

Unread post by BeauFoster » Wed Sep 20, 2023 2:27 pm

App4that wrote:
Wed Sep 20, 2023 1:56 pm
biggie wrote:
appstate24 wrote:
biggie wrote:
Capt. Ed wrote:

GO APPS!!
Freshman year I had business calculus with a girl that was almost part of that statistic. Rode a cafeteria tray down Suicide Hill during spring semester. Problem was ASU maintenance had been doing some culvert work between semesters and there was exposed rebar that was buried under the snow. Caught her in the leg and missed her femoral artery by inches. She was on crutches for most of that semester but grateful to be above ground at all.

Jesus…talk about risk management. I hope that we’re taking safety more seriously now.

Kids are gonna be kids, and personal responsibility comes into play when doing something stupid like sledding, but what if someone had just slipped and fell and that had happened?
Give 'em hell!

AppStMike201

Unread post by AppStMike201 » Wed Sep 20, 2023 3:10 pm

NattyBumppo'sRevenge wrote:
Wed Sep 20, 2023 9:05 am
Bigdaddyg1 wrote:
Wed Sep 20, 2023 8:36 am
NattyBumppo'sRevenge wrote:
Wed Sep 20, 2023 8:33 am
BeauFoster wrote:
Wed Sep 20, 2023 7:34 am
Capt. Ed wrote:
I dated a girl at App who broke a bone sledding down the old hill. Or at least that’s what she told me (and I have my reasons for adding that last part)
LOLZ!!! He has good reasons!
Wasn't there a movie several years ago that had a character whose job was risk management? He was extremely anal and over analyzed every decision based on statistical data. It was funny as I remember.
Along Came Polly? That was an amazing movie if that’s the one you are referring to. Ben Stiller, Jennifer Aniston and Philip Seymour Hoffman.
Let it RAIN! RAIN DANCE!

Appstate88

Unread post by Appstate88 » Wed Sep 20, 2023 3:21 pm

Yosef84 wrote:
Appstate88 wrote:
mike87 wrote:

I prefer this planned logical expansion instead. I would also give our students both lower levels on east and west side. 12k seats (6k on each side). https://www.yosefscabin.com/forum/viewt ... 0&start=20
ArmantiWaterSafety wrote:
Thu Oct 20, 2022 3:40 pm
Thanks to A2534 for sending these over...

GIVE 'EM HELL APPS!

NewApp

Unread post by NewApp » Thu Sep 21, 2023 5:14 am

BeauFoster wrote:
Wed Sep 20, 2023 2:27 pm
App4that wrote:
Wed Sep 20, 2023 1:56 pm
biggie wrote:
appstate24 wrote:
biggie wrote:

GO APPS!!

Jesus…talk about risk management. I hope that we’re taking safety more seriously now.

Kids are gonna be kids, and personal responsibility comes into play when doing something stupid like sledding, but what if someone had just slipped and fell and that had happened?
Not trying to be a smart arse, but are 18-22 year olds "kids?" They can vote, drive a car, get married, etc etc.
NewApp formerly known as JCline
If you can't take it, don't dish it out.
Google SUX

Bigdaddyg1

Unread post by Bigdaddyg1 » Thu Sep 21, 2023 5:59 am

Appstate88 wrote:
Wed Sep 20, 2023 3:21 pm
Yosef84 wrote:
Appstate88 wrote:
mike87 wrote:

I prefer this planned logical expansion instead. I would also give our students both lower levels on east and west side. 12k seats (6k on each side). https://www.yosefscabin.com/forum/viewt ... 0&start=20

I recall these concepts being floated around and they look great but help me understand where the added seats are located. Is this concept adding a lower student section on the visitor side?

311neers

Unread post by 311neers » Thu Sep 21, 2023 7:08 am

Bigdaddyg1 wrote:
Thu Sep 21, 2023 5:59 am
Appstate88 wrote:
Yosef84 wrote:
Appstate88 wrote:
mike87 wrote:

I recall these concepts being floated around and they look great but help me understand where the added seats are located. Is this concept adding a lower student section on the visitor side?
No. They’re saying give Students BOTH east and west 120 yards of sidelines. Concessions and concourse traffic would be appsolutely nuts and would never happen. We’re probably the only school that gives students 120 yards of sideline to begin with.

Bigdaddyg1

Unread post by Bigdaddyg1 » Thu Sep 21, 2023 7:23 am

311neers wrote:
Thu Sep 21, 2023 7:08 am
Bigdaddyg1 wrote:
Thu Sep 21, 2023 5:59 am
Appstate88 wrote:
Yosef84 wrote:
Appstate88 wrote:

No. They’re saying give Students BOTH east and west 120 yards of sidelines. Concessions and concourse traffic would be appsolutely nuts and would never happen. We’re probably the only school that gives students 120 yards of sideline to begin with.
So basically no regular seating is added and the hill is reserved as it used to be? Seems like an odd idea.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Appalachian Football”