Here is the link to the fall sports streaming schedule.

https://appstatesports.com/news/2023/8/ ... edule.aspx

Let's beat a dead horse

spacemonkey
School: Appalachian State

Re: Let's beat a dead horse

Unread post by spacemonkey » Wed Sep 20, 2023 4:29 pm

NattyBumppo'sRevenge wrote:
Wed Sep 20, 2023 3:32 pm
McLeansvilleAppFan wrote:
Wed Sep 20, 2023 3:25 pm
appgrad2010 wrote:
Wed Sep 20, 2023 10:33 am
It is funny the media guide lists him as an alum....I did not think he ever earned his degree?
Alumna/us status is conferred not upon graduation but taking a class(es). The moment a student steps iton the first class of their first semester they can say they are an alumna/us.

With that said we ought to take him out of the media guide, unless he really is giving a lot of money and is specifically requesting that as part of the tranfser of funds.
So by that definition, you have a ton of formal UNC athletes that are not UNC alumni
Now that's funny....I don't care who you are!!!

AppinVA

Unread post by AppinVA » Wed Sep 20, 2023 4:44 pm

Rekdiver wrote:
Wed Sep 20, 2023 2:43 pm
Listen he is honest about it and it's not like he's burning an American flag. leave the man alone and move on please.
No. I may even have a few t-shirt ideas.
"Some people call me hillbilly. Some people call me mountain man. You can call me Appalachian. Appalachian's what I am."-- Del McCoury Band

EastHallApp

Unread post by EastHallApp » Wed Sep 20, 2023 5:04 pm

appgrad95&97 wrote:
Wed Sep 20, 2023 12:25 pm
Honestly, this has to be the silliest thing we discuss. Going to Appalachian doesn't require you to be an App fan. He is friends with Mack. I think they have homes close to each other at Elk River. He is a Carolina fan. So what? How on Earth can anyone spend this much time being angry as someone who doesn't pull for your team? Eric Church has absolutely no impact on how well our team plays. And he is an actual supporter (financially) of the University. The man is free to be a Carolina fan. I am free to be an App fan. PLEASE let this go.
People can get mad about it and gripe about it as much as they wish, of course. Just know that when you do so, you're giving off some strong Napoleon vibes on behalf of the entire App fan base.

Yosef84

Unread post by Yosef84 » Wed Sep 20, 2023 5:14 pm

Alumnus:
a graduate or former student of a particular school, college, or university.
"a Harvard alumnus"
a former member of a group, company, or organization.
"a Royal Ballet alumnus"

NattyBumppo'sRevenge

Unread post by NattyBumppo'sRevenge » Wed Sep 20, 2023 6:29 pm

EastHallApp wrote:
Wed Sep 20, 2023 5:04 pm
appgrad95&97 wrote:
Wed Sep 20, 2023 12:25 pm
Honestly, this has to be the silliest thing we discuss. Going to Appalachian doesn't require you to be an App fan. He is friends with Mack. I think they have homes close to each other at Elk River. He is a Carolina fan. So what? How on Earth can anyone spend this much time being angry as someone who doesn't pull for your team? Eric Church has absolutely no impact on how well our team plays. And he is an actual supporter (financially) of the University. The man is free to be a Carolina fan. I am free to be an App fan. PLEASE let this go.
People can get mad about it and gripe about it as much as they wish, of course. Just know that when you do so, you're giving off some strong Napoleon vibes on behalf of the entire App fan base.
Agree to disagree

BayouApp

Unread post by BayouApp » Wed Sep 20, 2023 9:06 pm

biggie wrote:
Wed Sep 20, 2023 10:49 am
To clarify this horse has already been glue consumed by a preschool kid at this point.
LOL. With a few boogers for texture!

CoachRob

Unread post by CoachRob » Wed Sep 20, 2023 10:58 pm

I wonder if the same group with their panties in a wad about this would be just as emotional if Eric had a friendship with Coach K and was a dukie? Or walked around in red throwing up the Wolfpack hand gesture?

NattyBumppo'sRevenge

Unread post by NattyBumppo'sRevenge » Thu Sep 21, 2023 6:58 am

CoachRob wrote:
Wed Sep 20, 2023 10:58 pm
I wonder if the same group with their panties in a wad about this would be just as emotional if Eric had a friendship with Coach K and was a dukie? Or walked around in red throwing up the Wolfpack hand gesture?
If he cheered for either against App, he may or may not get the same treatment, but it would definitely not be accepted. It seems as if you are implying all the haters are Duke and NC State fans. That’s not the case at all. Us all in App fans are disgusted with our fellow alumni that support another school they have no affiliation with over App. Thing is, NC State and Duke don’t have all that many Walmart fans. Duke does, but they are usually Yankees. Truth is, your hypothetical question will likely never come to fruition based on probabilities. What we are faced with is an actual occurrence. We have to deal with Walmart Tar Heel fans on a daily basis, so it’s closer to our heart. And we’re sick of it. And when someone who gets national attention that went to App is all in on UNC, it’s embarrassing and infuriating. My hypothesis is that the only excuse for not caring is having a fandom for UNC. Probably the same folks that say Roll ‘Neers.

The Rock

Unread post by The Rock » Thu Sep 21, 2023 7:20 am

Duke doesn't compete ( take $ away) with App for money. Choosing to pull for any team over a school you attended is BS and short sighted, but when you are giving an in state team a lot of publicity, NIL concerts, and I'm sure much more $$ to a school that does not need and, and you did not attend, when the school you actually attended could definitely use that attention, and $$ is just disingenuous

AppStateNews

Unread post by AppStateNews » Thu Sep 21, 2023 7:52 am

My only concern with Eric is how he got his suite/benefits.. as he was gaining fame, there was mutual interest to work together. We worked with him in getting him a suite, away game tickets, etc at a discount because it was a mutual relationship.

As soon as he didn't need our help to continue growing, his support is at UNC and UNC only (although, he does still support financially some).
tAPPedInSports.net

Not affiliated with the above website

Rekdiver

Unread post by Rekdiver » Thu Sep 21, 2023 8:44 am

:D He only came to App cause he couldnt get into UNC and was going to transfer....he had a lifelong affection for UNC as his DAD did who also attended App. I blame bad parenting for his behavior...It's not his fault. :) His choice and IMO his loss but at the end of the day I dont give a sh*T either way.

BambooRdApp

Unread post by BambooRdApp » Thu Sep 21, 2023 9:00 am

Evidently, a dead horse can never die... evidenced by 3 pages for this thread
Today I Give My All For Appalachian State!!
#FreeMillerHillForMoMoney!!
#SleeveStripesWereTheBomb!!
#99ForPresident!!

BallantyneApp

Unread post by BallantyneApp » Thu Sep 21, 2023 9:06 am

CoachRob wrote:
A lot of us only root for App so yes it would be just as frustrating.

But I will say neither duke or Ncsu have a vested group of alumni on UNCBOG that veto any attempt at App to grow our graduate or professional degree program.

That may not matter to people who like a cheating programs professional basketball team, but those of us who care about our university furthering our profile, it’s a big deal

BallantyneApp

Unread post by BallantyneApp » Thu Sep 21, 2023 9:13 am

AppStateNews wrote:
Thu Sep 21, 2023 7:52 am
My only concern with Eric is how he got his suite/benefits.. as he was gaining fame, there was mutual interest to work together. We worked with him in getting him a suite, away game tickets, etc at a discount because it was a mutual relationship.

As soon as he didn't need our help to continue growing, his support is at UNC and UNC only (although, he does still support financially some).
The fact that he couldn’t even give a hint of ambiguity on the app vs unc thing shows he really doesn’t give a shit about App.

Of course all his actions already suggested that, but he could have given the illusion of neutrality.

I wish we were in a position to return whatever pittance financial benefit he gives us. He’s always been happy to make a buck off App fans, screw him

bcoach

Unread post by bcoach » Thu Sep 21, 2023 11:43 am

CoachRob wrote:
I would have no problem with that at all. You are missing the part about him pulling for the team against us. He sucks.
Oh but he is ok because he gives us money. That sucks more.

CoachRob

Unread post by CoachRob » Thu Sep 21, 2023 1:24 pm

NattyBumppo'sRevenge wrote:
Thu Sep 21, 2023 6:58 am
CoachRob wrote:
If he cheered for either against App, he may or may not get the same treatment, but it would definitely not be accepted. It seems as if you are implying all the haters are Duke and NC State fans. That’s not the case at all. Us all in App fans are disgusted with our fellow alumni that support another school they have no affiliation with over App. Thing is, NC State and Duke don’t have all that many Walmart fans. Duke does, but they are usually Yankees. Truth is, your hypothetical question will likely never come to fruition based on probabilities. What we are faced with is an actual occurrence. We have to deal with Walmart Tar Heel fans on a daily basis, so it’s closer to our heart. And we’re sick of it. And when someone who gets national attention that went to App is all in on UNC, it’s embarrassing and infuriating. My hypothesis is that the only excuse for not caring is having a fandom for UNC. Probably the same folks that say Roll ‘Neers.
So maybe it's a life experience thing. Obviously there are more UNC fans than State & Duke as have a slightly bigger brand. But all 3 have their 'walmart fans'.
But most to all Carolina fans I come across either:
1) Have a great respect for App & the success of the football program
2) So worried about dealing with State & Duke fans that they care very little to worry about App. Whether that's putting us down or what not.

I've come across just as many App grads who pull for duke & state as well. I remember at college gameday last year they briefly talked about state and I remember seeing several students throw up the wolfpack. It was annoying but I didn't lose any sleep over it.
Truth is, IMO, this made out to be way too much of a bigger deal than what it is. And I have a feeling it's more personal for some than anything else.
Last edited by CoachRob on Thu Sep 21, 2023 1:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

CoachRob

Unread post by CoachRob » Thu Sep 21, 2023 1:26 pm

BallantyneApp wrote:
Thu Sep 21, 2023 9:06 am
CoachRob wrote:
A lot of us only root for App so yes it would be just as frustrating.

But I will say neither duke or Ncsu have a vested group of alumni on UNCBOG that veto any attempt at App to grow our graduate or professional degree program.

That may not matter to people who like a cheating programs professional basketball team, but those of us who care about our university furthering our profile, it’s a big deal
Yes! That's it! Those UNCBOG wake up every morning with the goal of 'how can I screw app state today'. That is their #1 goal. It makes perfect sense now. So logical!

appstatealum

Unread post by appstatealum » Thu Sep 21, 2023 1:34 pm

biggie wrote:
Wed Sep 20, 2023 10:49 am
To clarify this horse has already been glue consumed by a preschool kid at this point.
I had to post it. Too many still try to paint him in a positive light. I'm not a petty man, but the mention of this guy makes my Black and Gold blood boil.
The Appalachian State

appstatealum

Unread post by appstatealum » Thu Sep 21, 2023 1:38 pm

Rekdiver wrote:
Wed Sep 20, 2023 2:43 pm
Listen he is honest about it and it's not like he's burning an American flag. leave the man alone and move on please.
Cheering for UNC over The App State is blasphemy and he might as well be burning an American flag, worshiping Satan or any other deceitful thing you can think of. 😄
The Appalachian State

appchicago

Unread post by appchicago » Thu Sep 21, 2023 1:52 pm

Is this the guy who started Church's Chicken? I feel like we're more of a Bojangles fanbase.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Appalachian Football”