Here is the link to the fall sports streaming schedule.

https://appstatesports.com/news/2023/8/ ... edule.aspx

Where are we at as Appalachian football?

WASU 93
School: Appalachian State

Re: Where are we at as Appalachian football?

Unread post by WASU 93 » Sun Oct 01, 2023 12:51 am

WVAPPeer wrote:
Sun Oct 01, 2023 12:39 am
Where are we? -- Well, last I looked we are
1-0
One of six undefeated teams in the conference.... And, we have a team who could have packed it in after last weeks disappointment. But, both sides of the ball and special teams kept making plays in the 4th Quarter (maybe, not every play, but they made plays). Whereas, some of our fans are pulling down the shutters and hoping for January 1 to get here...

njcarr

Unread post by njcarr » Sun Oct 01, 2023 2:16 am

i wasn't going to say anything at first but changed my mind before going to bed. I grow weary of the ignorance, if not stupidity displayed on so many different posts written on Yosef's Cabin. The "blame the coach, blame the coach" and the "App State is now a mediocre football program" mentality routinely listed is absolutely absurd. Such comments over and over just show how much some people really don't know football. Coaches cannot control how players execute on the field; the young men work hard and practice daily to improve their skills. I see none of them not trying to be their best or settling for mediocrity. The key to success is execution of what is being asked to do; take away turnovers, penalties, etc. in the last 20 games and App would likely have many more victories. If mediocrity were the norm, then there would not have been a winning drive from deep in our territory in the last few seconds of the game tonight. Was it mediocrity that kept ULM scoreless in the 4th quarter? I don't think so.
I am not a fickle App State fan - I enjoy the games, very glad that the team didn't quit tonight (like some of the folks did posting tonight).
GO APPS (ASU), put Coastal in their place!!!!!

nomadb

Unread post by nomadb » Sun Oct 01, 2023 6:28 am

I feel like some of you guys have very selective memories. Our program has always had close games through the good seasons. Especially against teams we should beat.

A win is a win. Winning a close one is good experience.

Some of you need to step off the ledge and try to enjoy the ride.

/\PP ST/\TE GRAD 09

Unread post by /\PP ST/\TE GRAD 09 » Sun Oct 01, 2023 6:58 am

nomadb wrote:
Sun Oct 01, 2023 6:28 am
I feel like some of you guys have very selective memories. Our program has always had close games through the good seasons. Especially against teams we should beat.

A win is a win. Winning a close one is good experience.

Some of you need to step off the ledge and try to enjoy the ride.
2018 wins against teams we should beat

Charlotte 45-9
GW 72-7
South Alabama 52-7
Arkansas State 35-9
Texas State 38-7
Georgia State 45-17

2019 wins against teams we should beat

East Tennessee State 42-7
Charlotte 56-41 (This one was closer than it should have been)
ULM 52-7
South Alabama 30-3
Georgia State 56-27
Texas State 35-13

There are more examples of games we should have won big time, and did just that, as well as examples of what you pointed out, close ones that were closer than they probably should. But to say it's always been a struggle just simply is not the case.
Twitter: @brosef_yosef

nomadb

Unread post by nomadb » Sun Oct 01, 2023 7:20 am

I didn’t say it’s always been a struggle. I said there are always games we should win that that are too close. You picked two of our most successful seasons to demonstrate your point as well. I think that’s part of the problem. Every year isn’t going to be the best year ever. Look back to the championship years. Do you remember what happened the week after we beat Michigan?

Success isn’t linear. There are peaks and valleys along the way.

Try to enjoy winning. Hard fought victories are great. Try to be happy for the team and let’s see how the season shakes out.

Rekdiver

Unread post by Rekdiver » Sun Oct 01, 2023 7:46 am

It breaks my heart to have to fire one of our own, but it’s time after the season ends.

Black Saturday

Unread post by Black Saturday » Sun Oct 01, 2023 8:08 am

Rekdiver wrote:
Sun Oct 01, 2023 7:46 am
It breaks my heart to have to fire one of our own, but it’s time after the season ends.
I'm not a big fan of our erratic, poor defensive play, maybe it's a combination of a young defense combined with zig zagging the country and taking ULM lightly? Our left defensive backfield was toasted. Firing Clark won't happen, and money is a big part of that equation unless one of us on here wins the current Powerball. We are most likely going 3-0 in October = bowl eligible. We are capable of beating everyone left on our schedule based on some of our play this season, although after seeing JMU play some - not as confident calling that a potential win playing at their place. November - we could win them all, be 3-1, 2-2? Then we are at 8 -9 wins or so - Myrtle Beach Bowl? That is an improvement over the disaster in our eyes of '22.

If anyone wants Clark fired, you better be loading up on the lottery tickets and wearing our opponents colors each week that is left in the season.

Not me. all though I will try for that Billion.
Last edited by Black Saturday on Sun Oct 01, 2023 8:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
BLACK SATURDAY

DenverOfTheEast

Unread post by DenverOfTheEast » Sun Oct 01, 2023 8:20 am

Currently 1-0 in SBC play and 3-2 overall. (just answering the question of the thread)

What a glorious Sunday morning to be 1-0 in SBC play.

Stop with the offense bashing by the way, below are FACTS, not myths by the Cabin Clowns.

App State is averaging 42 points per game!!!
App State has scored 182 points only behind Texas State.
Joey over 1200 yards passing to date, not bad for a back up.
Noel over 600 yards rushing, 3 others with over 100 yards rushing.

This team can win by scoring or by grinding it out - will be very dangerous moving forward.

appgrad95&97

Unread post by appgrad95&97 » Sun Oct 01, 2023 8:35 am

Black Saturday wrote:
Sun Oct 01, 2023 8:08 am
Rekdiver wrote:
I'm not a big fan of our erratic, poor defensive play, maybe it's a combination of a young defense combined with zig zagging the country and taking ULM lightly? Our left defensive backfield was toasted. Firing Clark won't happen, and money is a big part of that equation unless one of us on here wins the current Powerball. We are most likely going 3-0 in October = bowl eligible. We are capable of beating everyone left on our schedule based on some of our play this season, although after seeing JMU play some - not as confident calling that a potential win playing at their place. November - we could win them all, be 3-1, 2-2? Then we are at 8 -9 wins or so - Myrtle Beach Bowl? That is an improvement over the disaster in our eyes of '22.

If anyone wants Clark fired, you better be loading up on the lottery tickets and wearing our opponents colors each week that is left in the season.

I said in 2019 that Clark was a lazy hire. I am getting close to saying it was a bad hire. That said, we need a better answer before we fire anyone. Money is definitely an issue. And quite frankly, I have zero confidence in Gillin to do any better. He hired him AND he extended him.

NattyBumppo'sRevenge

Unread post by NattyBumppo'sRevenge » Sun Oct 01, 2023 8:40 am

2017 comes to mind. We had a pretty good season but lost to Umass and ULM and barely beat Idaho. All teams we probably should have beaten easily. We just had two back to back long road trips and we were able to overcome 4 turnovers and get a much needed win. I’m very happy we got a W. Seems a lot of you would have been happier with an L. Perhaps some of you were typing while impaired, but the anger after a win is ridiculous.

/\PP ST/\TE GRAD 09

Unread post by /\PP ST/\TE GRAD 09 » Sun Oct 01, 2023 8:54 am

nomadb wrote:
Sun Oct 01, 2023 7:20 am
I didn’t say it’s always been a struggle. I said there are always games we should win that that are too close. You picked two of our most successful seasons to demonstrate your point as well. I think that’s part of the problem. Every year isn’t going to be the best year ever. Look back to the championship years. Do you remember what happened the week after we beat Michigan?

Success isn’t linear. There are peaks and valleys along the way.

Try to enjoy winning. Hard fought victories are great. Try to be happy for the team and let’s see how the season shakes out.
We beat LR easily if I remember correctly. And we didn't have people on here speaking highly about a division 2 school the way people did this year about FCS Gardner Webb. It's not just the wins and losses for me when I say things like we will never win a Sun Belt title with Clark. It's the things I see after years of playing and watching the sport. Just doesn't have it on the field with game plans and in game decisions. Also seems like other teams in the Sun Belt are getting better, while we are stagnant, and at times in a slight decline. Sure we've had some great wins under Clark as well, and I will give him credit ford those, but long term I just don't think he's the answer.

I can't recall I've ever said myself "Fire Clark" or "He's got to go"...maybe out of emotion live during a game, but I'm not shouting it from the top of Howard's Knob daily. I do suggest things that could be taken as feeling that way, and from a long term perspective I think it's something DG needs to consider. As the Sun Belt grows better, do we have the right guy to keep up? Should we just accept that making a bowl game is good enough with a once in awhile title game appearance?

I will start a thread and allow everyone to bash me if I am wrong. Man enough to accept when I'm wrong, I'm just not seeing it. Really haven't seen it since he was hired.
Twitter: @brosef_yosef

DenverOfTheEast

Unread post by DenverOfTheEast » Sun Oct 01, 2023 8:54 am

appgrad95&97 wrote:
Sun Oct 01, 2023 8:35 am
Black Saturday wrote:
Sun Oct 01, 2023 8:08 am
Rekdiver wrote:

I said in 2019 that Clark was a lazy hire. I am getting close to saying it was a bad hire. That said, we need a better answer before we fire anyone. Money is definitely an issue. And quite frankly, I have zero confidence in Gillin to do any better. He hired him AND he extended him.
Two choices Gillin had in 2019:

1)Hire outside and risk players leaving or another outside hire and the guy leaving after a 10 win season, there fore the program turns into Ark State of a revolving door of coaches, Gus Malzhan, Hugh Freeze etc in which Ark State has never recovered.

2) Hire Clark who called plays in the Bowl win when Satt left for Ville, before Drink was hired. Hire Clark who held the best talent and best team in App football history at 13-1.

Clark told Gillin, you don't have to hire me, but you need someone similar to me with the same core values that App has had and wants from a football coach. I am critical of Gillin, but in 2019 he made the correct move, Clark has a 65% winning percentage and has had to rebuild the roster after about 25 5th and 6th year COVID seniors left.

Your next HC when time comes to replace Clark will cost about 1.3 million per year and that's just the Head Coach salary. Donate, Donate Donate!

AppInDC

Unread post by AppInDC » Sun Oct 01, 2023 9:30 am

NattyBumppo'sRevenge wrote:
Sun Oct 01, 2023 8:40 am
2017 comes to mind. We had a pretty good season but lost to Umass and ULM and barely beat Idaho. All teams we probably should have beaten easily. We just had two back to back long road trips and we were able to overcome 4 turnovers and get a much needed win. I’m very happy we got a W. Seems a lot of you would have been happier with an L. Perhaps some of you were typing while impaired, but the anger after a win is ridiculous.
That was a weird season. Every week, we needed second half comebacks against the worst teams in FBS until we finally figured it out around November and finished a solid 9-4 with no game closer than three touchdowns in last four.

AppState89

Unread post by AppState89 » Sun Oct 01, 2023 10:04 am

Damn, #4 Southern Cal should fire their coach too. They only won by 7 (48-41) and they were favored to win by 20.5 points. SC's defense gave up 564 yards to Colorado!!! Fire Lincoln Riley now!!!!!!!

We will be fine!!!
AppState89 AKA Robert Martin :D :D

Pikapp79

Unread post by Pikapp79 » Sun Oct 01, 2023 10:41 am

AppState89 wrote:
Sun Oct 01, 2023 10:04 am
Damn, #4 Southern Cal should fire their coach too. They only won by 7 (48-41) and they were favored to win by 20.5 points. SC's defense gave up 564 yards to Colorado!!! Fire Lincoln Riley now!!!!!!!

We will be fine!!!
“Fine” is the correct word. Not “great” but “fine”.

MrCraig

Unread post by MrCraig » Sun Oct 01, 2023 12:05 pm

AppState89 wrote:
Sun Oct 01, 2023 10:04 am

We will be fine!!!
Bad analogy, but it leads to a good point that others have made. What is App’s football identity? USC under Lincoln Riley has been an all gas, no brakes offense with absolutely no defense. Is this a good plan? Maybe, maybe not, but it’s an identity. What is App’s? App USED to focus on having a nasty o-line that led a methodical, powerful run game with a strong defense. What has been the App game plan the last 3 years? I couldn’t tell you.

EastHallApp

Unread post by EastHallApp » Sun Oct 01, 2023 12:26 pm

RankinApp wrote:
Sat Sep 30, 2023 10:14 pm
Dreading the idea that this program is going to wander into middling to bad purgatory a la the Stink the last few years. It's a program momentum killer.
When we were having all the success in the Satt years and celebrating "best FBS transition ever," the previous standard for that was Marshall. Their first six years in 1-A/FBS, they went 10-3, 12-1, 13-0, 8-5, 11-2, 11-2. Immediately after that, it was 8-4, 6-6, 4-7. From there it was another eight years until they went any better than 7-6.

Is that the path we're on? I hope not. I can handle the occasional down year, but not a decade in the wilderness.

NattyBumppo'sRevenge

Unread post by NattyBumppo'sRevenge » Sun Oct 01, 2023 12:48 pm

We are who they thought we were, and they let us off the hook.

WASU 93

Unread post by WASU 93 » Sun Oct 01, 2023 1:54 pm

EastHallApp wrote:
Sun Oct 01, 2023 12:26 pm
RankinApp wrote:
Sat Sep 30, 2023 10:14 pm
Dreading the idea that this program is going to wander into middling to bad purgatory a la the Stink the last few years. It's a program momentum killer.
When we were having all the success in the Satt years and celebrating "best FBS transition ever," the previous standard for that was Marshall. Their first six years in 1-A/FBS, they went 10-3, 12-1, 13-0, 8-5, 11-2, 11-2. Immediately after that, it was 8-4, 6-6, 4-7. From there it was another eight years until they went any better than 7-6.

Is that the path we're on? I hope not. I can handle the occasional down year, but not a decade in the wilderness.
Sun Belt Records since 2020: (includes this year)
Coastal Carolina 33-10 (20-6 in conference)
Louisiana 32-11 (19-6)
App St. 28-15 (17-8)
Troy 25-17 (14-11)
GaSt 22-18 (14-12)
South Ala. 21-20 (12-13)
GaSo 21-24 (10-15)
TxSt 14-27 (9-16)
ArkSt 12-30 (6-19)
ULM 10-29 (5-19)

Marshall 27-13 overall (6-3 in Sun Belt Conference Games)
Southern Miss 14-26 (4-6)
ODU 11-19 (3-7)
JMU 13-3 in FBS (8-2)

Also (this extends beyond Clark's tenure), there have been 5 scheduled SBC Championship Games. Only 4 teams have qualified--Lousiana (4 times/one championship, should have won a second via forfeit), App State (3 times/2 championships), Coastal (twice/zero championships), Troy (once, one championship)

Lousiana and Coastal are both struggling after coaching changes.

AppSt12

Unread post by AppSt12 » Sun Oct 01, 2023 2:02 pm

WVAPPeer wrote:
Sun Oct 01, 2023 12:39 am
Where are we? -- Well, last I looked we are
1-0
You are delusional if you think we are in a good spot by beating the worst team in the league by 1

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Appalachian Football”