Here is the link to the fall sports streaming schedule.

https://appstatesports.com/news/2023/8/ ... edule.aspx

Reset

Saint3333

Reset

Unread post by Saint3333 » Sun Oct 01, 2023 9:43 am

Five games into the reset season.

Emotions running high after the last two weeks.

On the record what is a successful season in terms of record after watching us and conference members?

8-4 regular season.

Next three we’ll be heavy favorites. Then go 2-2 the last four. We avoid Troy, USA, and Texas St. So our schedule is one of the easier ones in the east.

yosef69
School: Appalachian State

Re: Reset

Unread post by yosef69 » Sun Oct 01, 2023 10:22 am

Realistically, we lose to JMU, Marshall could see going either way, and we probably drop one more. Successful season would be 9 wins, expecting 7.5. 7 would be a bummer and 8 would be meh.

Bigdaddyg1

Unread post by Bigdaddyg1 » Sun Oct 01, 2023 10:56 am

I can almost guarantee we will NOT finish with 7.5 wins. I know that's a gambling thing but rather stupid to use as a barometer.

yosef69

Unread post by yosef69 » Sun Oct 01, 2023 10:58 am

Bigdaddyg1 wrote:
Sun Oct 01, 2023 10:56 am
I can almost guarantee we will NOT finish with 7.5 wins. I know that's a gambling thing but rather stupid to use as a barometer.
It’s not even a gambling thing. Use your brain. It’s expected wins. Did you not take statistics?

VNova

Unread post by VNova » Sun Oct 01, 2023 11:20 am

CC - W
ODU - W
USM - W
Marshall - L
GSU - W
JMU - L
GS - W

8-4 by the end is entirely possible. We could also drop both Georgia teams and go 6-6 to close out the season on a 4 loss streak.

I’ll trend positive and say our floor is 8, but I don’t think we win both Marshall and JMU.

ASUTodd

Unread post by ASUTodd » Sun Oct 01, 2023 12:03 pm

6-6 is where we will finish. Anything above that will be a blessing from above.

EastHallApp

Unread post by EastHallApp » Sun Oct 01, 2023 12:31 pm

I hesitate to set a hard-and-fast number as the standard, because I'll want to look back and consider the whole picture at the end of the season. Did we get better, did the schedule turn out to be tougher/easier than expected, does it look like we're close... in short, do I think we're headed in the right direction?

That said, 8-4 has been kind of the record that pops into my head as the bar for this year, and that's still the case today.

pop5app

Unread post by pop5app » Sun Oct 01, 2023 12:48 pm

Sorry fellas but we’re good enough to beat anyone and bad enough to loose to anyone. After 5 weeks I haven’t seen anything that shows me 6-6 won’t happen.

AppSt12

Unread post by AppSt12 » Sun Oct 01, 2023 1:40 pm

I personally cant 'reset' what is acceptable simply because Shawn Clark has 0 in-game coaching ability.

Success to me would be an 11-3 season (only 1 more loss, but making the conference title game), winning the title game (i do happen to think we are slightly better than the best team in the west) and a bowl win in a weak bowl.

Of course this does feel impossible...but we cant become a fan base that accepts 6 or 7 win seasons.

In the 95 years of App State football we have an AVERAGE 8 (7.8 technically) wins per year (when adjusted for the modern 12 game schedule) at a 64.5% all time win percentage (15th best in the country).

Since 2005 (16 seasons when you take away the transitional 2013/2014 years where we werent eligible for playoffs/bowls and we redshirted tons of players to prepare for the move up) we have won:

3 IAA National Titles
11 conference titles
11 double digit win seasons
plus two 9 win seasons
6-1 Bowl Record
2 AP Top 10 wins
Took 2 other AP top 10 to OT
6th best record in FBS since 2015
Most wins in G5 since 2015
5th best conference win percentage in FBS since 2015
1st best win percentage most conference titles of anyone since weve been in the sun belt

Some of you guys dont realize what our program is and act like we are Western Carolina. We are a big time program. The only thing we lack compared to our top competition is a NY6 bid...but from a consistincy standpoint...Boise State and NDSU are the only nonp5 programs that have a better resume than us.

Certainly our figures would be better if not for the Shawn Clark years...but we cant accept average. We are not average.

Pikapp79

Unread post by Pikapp79 » Sun Oct 01, 2023 2:39 pm

ASUTodd wrote:
Sun Oct 01, 2023 12:03 pm
6-6 is where we will finish. Anything above that will be a blessing from above.
If this comes true he has to go.

CoachRob

Unread post by CoachRob » Sun Oct 01, 2023 3:49 pm

Saint3333 wrote:
Sun Oct 01, 2023 9:43 am
Five games into the reset season.

Emotions running high after the last two weeks.

On the record what is a successful season in terms of record after watching us and conference members?

8-4 regular season.

Next three we’ll be heavy favorites. Then go 2-2 the last four. We avoid Troy, USA, and Texas St. So our schedule is one of the easier ones in the east.
This is how I see it as well. As long as all of this young talent continues to improve, I will be ok with an 8-4 finish with most everyone coming back to make a title run in '24.

t4pizza

Unread post by t4pizza » Mon Oct 02, 2023 9:59 am

AppSt12 wrote:
Sun Oct 01, 2023 1:40 pm

I personally cant 'reset' what is acceptable simply because Shawn Clark has 0 in-game coaching ability.

Success to me would be an 11-3 season (only 1 more loss, but making the conference title game), winning the title game (i do happen to think we are slightly better than the best team in the west) and a bowl win in a weak bowl.

Of course this does feel impossible...but we cant become a fan base that accepts 6 or 7 win seasons.

In the 95 years of App State football we have an AVERAGE 8 (7.8 technically) wins per year (when adjusted for the modern 12 game schedule) at a 64.5% all time win percentage (15th best in the country).

Since 2005 (16 seasons when you take away the transitional 2013/2014 years where we werent eligible for playoffs/bowls and we redshirted tons of players to prepare for the move up) we have won:

3 IAA National Titles
11 conference titles
plus two 9 win seasons
6-1 Bowl Record
2 AP Top 10 wins
1st best win percentage most conference titles of anyone since weve been in the sun belt

Some of you guys dont realize what our program is and act like we are Western Carolina. We are a big time program. The only thing we lack compared to our top competition is a NY6 bid...but from a consistincy standpoint...Boise State and NDSU are the only nonp5 programs that have a better resume than us.

Certainly our figures would be better if not for the Shawn Clark years...but we cant accept average. We are not average.
I haven't read anyone on this board accept average from this team. That narrative just isn't there. Nobody wants another 6-6 and if that happens, pretty sure we will be looking for a new coach. Everyone wants to win football games, the difference is that some are willing to cut Clark some slack while he continues to learn and build the program and some wanted a change after the 6-6 season. But NOBODY is accepting average.

DenverOfTheEast

Unread post by DenverOfTheEast » Mon Oct 02, 2023 10:20 am

AppSt12 wrote:

3 IAA National Titles
11 conference titles
plus two 9 win seasons
6-1 Bowl Record
2 AP Top 10 wins

Clark has 2 of the 6 Bowl wins

Clark has a 65% winning percentage in 3.5 seasons - above the App State average of 64.5

Clark has a win over AP top 10 program Texas A and M

App State got ESPN Gameday here to Boone for the first time under Clark! Ya'll were kissing his tail that week mind you.

Clark is in the midst of flushing out the redshirts and COVID seniors that had great success in 2019, 2020, 2021 and now doing with his guys moving forward.

Clark is 19-3 in Kidd Brewer Stadium as the Head Ball Coach.

Clark has taken Mack Brown to the wire in 2 straight seasons and no loses to in state rivals ECU or Charlotte.

I'm out til next Tuesday night -- Go #TeamClark!!!

1.4 million to hire a new coach after you run Clark out of town, that Yosef membership, fancy Parking passes, beer at games and summer concert fundraising Dougie boy host will be going up up and away -- get ready to write the check -- no inheritance for little grandson Billy Bob in Claremont after PawPaw paid for a new Football coach!! 😂😂😂

311neers

Unread post by 311neers » Mon Oct 02, 2023 10:23 am

DenverOfTheEast wrote:
Mon Oct 02, 2023 10:20 am
AppSt12 wrote:

3 IAA National Titles
11 conference titles
plus two 9 win seasons
6-1 Bowl Record
2 AP Top 10 wins

Clark has 2 of the 6 Bowl wins

Clark has a 65% winning percentage in 3.5 seasons - above the App State average of 64.5

Clark has a win over AP top 10 program Texas A and M

App State got ESPN Gameday here to Boone for the first time under Clark! Ya'll were kissing his tail that week mind you.

Clark is in the midst of flushing out the redshirts and COVID seniors that had great success in 2019, 2020, 2021 and now doing with his guys moving forward.

Clark is 19-3 in Kidd Brewer Stadium as the Head Ball Coach.

Clark has taken Mack Brown to the wire in 2 straight seasons and no loses to in state rivals ECU or Charlotte.

I'm out til next Tuesday night -- Go #TeamClark!!!

1.4 million to hire a new coach after you run Clark out of town, that Yosef membership, fancy Parking passes, beer at games and summer concert fundraising Dougie boy host will be going up up and away -- get ready to write the check -- no inheritance for little grandson Billy Bob in Claremont after PawPaw paid for a new Football coach!! 😂😂😂
Average. See ya next week!

Saint3333

Unread post by Saint3333 » Mon Oct 02, 2023 12:18 pm

The 65% winning percentage is our all-time winning percentage (since 1929).

https://www.winsipedia.com/appalachian-state

FBS Overall Winning Percentage - 74%
2014-2019 - 78%
2020-2023 - 65%

https://www.sports-reference.com/cfb/sc ... index.html

We have reverted back to our life to date mean, I'm not sure that should be the goal.

AppWyo

Unread post by AppWyo » Mon Oct 02, 2023 12:25 pm

Shawn Clark wants to win too... He has much better game clock management than we have had at times past.

Saint3333

Unread post by Saint3333 » Mon Oct 02, 2023 12:31 pm

AppWyo wrote:
Mon Oct 02, 2023 12:25 pm
Shawn Clark wants to win too... He has much better game clock management than we have had at times past.
Seemed to have learned a lesson from the WYO and applied it to ULM.

t4pizza

Unread post by t4pizza » Mon Oct 02, 2023 12:36 pm

Last year I had my complaints about SC and his coaching. Some of the things that I didn't like were:

running back by committee alternating every series (never lets a guy get a hot hand)
Going for it too often on 4th instead of taking a FG when in range (felt the lack of FG cost us games and left us with an unprepared kicker)
Defense was bad with no pass pressure from our DL and bad pass defense from our DBs
seemingly always running up the gut on third and short and then 4th and short on every opportunity

Well this year, he has changed all of the things that I (and many on here) had issues with but now others (or the same) have issues with him doing the exact opposite things that he did last year. SC has shown me that he is continuing to learn and improve as a coach. I hope the wins follow because that is all that really matters in this day and age. Last week our young team learned how to win a game they probably should not have won, but the did. Those type of lessons pay dividends. The team hasn't quit on the coach and neither should any of us until the season is over. I see vast improvement over last year and with the amount of young guys making big plays, the future is bright. I just hope Coach gets enough wins this season to be part of that bright future.

Saint3333

Unread post by Saint3333 » Mon Oct 02, 2023 12:43 pm

Good post pizza.

I believe the 4th down attempts need context. Going for it on 4th down outside the 30 (and certainly on our side of the field) is different than going for it inside the 15.

RBs rotation has been much better and credit goes to Noel for his offseason work he put it too.

Defense was the biggest improvement until ULM, I think everyone was shocked with the success they had through the air. I also jinxed us posting the defense thread... I apologize for all those superstitious fans out there.

Versus WYO we continued to run tight sets and not spread them out and use our speed to the outside.

We are overall better this year than last so far.

AtlAppMan

Unread post by AtlAppMan » Mon Oct 02, 2023 1:24 pm

I agree with the above comments on SC improvements. I like what I have seen with all of those.

Furthermore, we have had a different OC for last 5 yrs. I see improvements across the board and would like to see how some of SC's moves "gel" with some consistency in OC/DC roles. The offense is producing and still has very good upside. The defense is looking better albeit there are still numerous improvements but I DO see progress and believe we have the talent to get the job done.
Special teams has done good, takeaway the blocked field goal, but they WON a game on a 54 yrd walk off FG.

The entire team did what was needed to win the ULM game. Forget how we got there but when the game was on the line, the D bowed up twice, the O did not panick got us down field and the Special Teams delivered a huge FG. Longest in Hughes career, longest walk off FG for App, 3rd longest in App history. Credit the coaches, line, long snapper, holder and kicker.

That win was not given to our team but EARNED.
Last edited by AtlAppMan on Mon Oct 02, 2023 1:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Appalachian Football”