Here is the link to the fall sports streaming schedule.

https://appstatesports.com/news/2023/8/ ... edule.aspx

Let's talk about Clark

yosef69
School: Appalachian State

Re: Let's talk about Clark

Unread post by yosef69 » Tue Oct 03, 2023 10:26 am

YesAppCan wrote:
Tue Oct 03, 2023 10:18 am
Saint3333 wrote:
Mon Oct 02, 2023 4:06 pm
YesAppCan wrote:
Mon Oct 02, 2023 3:36 pm
I’m just curious about folks that say “FCS wins don’t count” when you’re 6-6… So if our team went 12-0 and had 2 FCS wins, would you post that we really only had 10 wins?
A second FCS win in a season doesn't count. You don't have to agree with it, but they don't.
I know they don't count towards bowl eligibility. I am merely pointing out from a conversation standpoint. Just asking, hypothetically, that if we had an undefeated season, would people not say "We went 12-0, 13-0, 14-0"?
At the very least it has an asterisk

Saint3333

Unread post by Saint3333 » Tue Oct 03, 2023 10:31 am

YesAppCan wrote:
Tue Oct 03, 2023 10:18 am
Saint3333 wrote:
Mon Oct 02, 2023 4:06 pm
YesAppCan wrote:
Mon Oct 02, 2023 3:36 pm
I’m just curious about folks that say “FCS wins don’t count” when you’re 6-6… So if our team went 12-0 and had 2 FCS wins, would you post that we really only had 10 wins?
A second FCS win in a season doesn't count. You don't have to agree with it, but they don't.
I know they don't count towards bowl eligibility. I am merely pointing out from a conversation standpoint. Just asking, hypothetically, that if we had an undefeated season, would people not say "We went 12-0, 13-0, 14-0"?
People aren't going to care if we have 12 FBS wins, when we have 4 it matters.

AppOrange

Unread post by AppOrange » Tue Oct 03, 2023 11:36 am

appgrad95&97 wrote:
Mon Oct 02, 2023 3:20 pm
AppOrange wrote:
Mon Oct 02, 2023 12:58 pm
appgrad95&97 wrote:
Mon Oct 02, 2023 12:39 pm
AppOrange wrote:
Mon Oct 02, 2023 12:33 pm
teller wrote:
Mon Oct 02, 2023 5:01 am

You already throw in the towel for this season? Not even halfway through……
No, I’m very hopeful still, hoping to make a run at home, but all these dudes calling for heads when next year could be truly special is irritating.
Who called for a heads? Who has called for Clark to be fired? Questions have been asked. For me "next year" is irritating.
Seriously?, threads all over this board asking for him to be fired. Personally, I like to think of most fans bases as being on a bell curve. You got your die hard apologists at one end (15%) and your fire everyone always crowd at the other (15%). Then there are the other 70%ers, they differ slightly in opinion, but by and large, trust those who are in the know and are making decisions based on actuals. These 70% love their team and are passionate, but will never be louder as the irrational 15% on each end of the curve. It’s normal, I think most fans are behind the staff, it’s just hard to see with the vocal minority much of the time. just humans being human. Go App!
I've not read a single post calling for Clark to be fired.
Read the game threads, there are plenty, and I do count comments like “he should not have a job tomorrow”.

AtlAppMan

Unread post by AtlAppMan » Tue Oct 03, 2023 11:45 am

AppOrange wrote:
Tue Oct 03, 2023 11:36 am
appgrad95&97 wrote:
AppOrange wrote:
appgrad95&97 wrote:
AppOrange wrote:

No, I’m very hopeful still, hoping to make a run at home, but all these dudes calling for heads when next year could be truly special is irritating.
Who called for a heads? Who has called for Clark to be fired? Questions have been asked. For me "next year" is irritating.
Seriously?, threads all over this board asking for him to be fired. Personally, I like to think of most fans bases as being on a bell curve. You got your die hard apologists at one end (15%) and your fire everyone always crowd at the other (15%). Then there are the other 70%ers, they differ slightly in opinion, but by and large, trust those who are in the know and are making decisions based on actuals. These 70% love their team and are passionate, but will never be louder as the irrational 15% on each end of the curve. It’s normal, I think most fans are behind the staff, it’s just hard to see with the vocal minority much of the time. just humans being human. Go App!
Read the game threads, there are plenty, and I do count comments like “he should not have a job tomorrow”.
Isn't that the same thing as say "should be fired"? That is how I interpret that comment. And... I saw many of those types of comments throughout the game thread.

appgrad95&97

Unread post by appgrad95&97 » Tue Oct 03, 2023 12:43 pm

AtlAppMan wrote:
Tue Oct 03, 2023 11:45 am
AppOrange wrote:
appgrad95&97 wrote:
AppOrange wrote:
appgrad95&97 wrote:

Isn't that the same thing as say "should be fired"? That is how I interpret that comment. And... I saw many of those types of comments throughout the game thread.
Game threads are different. Who wasn't in a bad mood the way the ULM game started? I think those "in the moment" posts should be treated as such. Now, I have raised questions about his hiring. And I think there should be benchmarks for keeping the job. I don't care that he played here. He's coaching here now. In my opinion 8-4 is a solid season. 7-5 with a bowl loss, not so much. 6-6 last year with 2 terrible FCS wins is not acceptable.
Last edited by appgrad95&97 on Tue Oct 03, 2023 12:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

AppinVA

Unread post by AppinVA » Tue Oct 03, 2023 12:46 pm

appgrad95&97 wrote:
Tue Oct 03, 2023 12:43 pm
AtlAppMan wrote:
AppOrange wrote:
appgrad95&97 wrote:
AppOrange wrote:

Game threads are different. Who wasn't in a bad mood the way the ULM game started? I think those "in the moment" posts should be treated as such. Now, I have raised questions about his hiring. And I think there should be benchmarks for keeping the job. I don't care that he played here. He's coaching here now. In my opinion 8-4 is a solid season. 7-5 with a bowl loss, not so much. 6-6-6 last year with 2 terrible FCS wins is not acceptable.
I miss the dedicated game chats. That hid a bunch of "in the moment" comments that I agree should be treated as such. Mods: Can we bring back the game chats?
"Some people call me hillbilly. Some people call me mountain man. You can call me Appalachian. Appalachian's what I am."-- Del McCoury Band

BeauFoster

Unread post by BeauFoster » Tue Oct 03, 2023 12:50 pm

AppOrange wrote:
appgrad95&97 wrote:
AppOrange wrote:
appgrad95&97 wrote:
AppOrange wrote:

Game threads anywhere are reactionary at best. Read an EPL match thread on Reddit and you’ll see 100x worse takes than on here. (But seriously don’t read them, they’re terrible)

I will say that my takes from the most recent game thread remains basically the same. 8-4 or better regular season and I’ll change my opinion. Anything worse and it stays the same.
Give 'em hell!

AppySprayberry

Unread post by AppySprayberry » Tue Oct 03, 2023 12:56 pm

appgrad95&97 wrote:
Tue Oct 03, 2023 12:43 pm
AtlAppMan wrote:
AppOrange wrote:
appgrad95&97 wrote:
AppOrange wrote:

Game threads are different. Who wasn't in a bad mood the way the ULM game started? I think those "in the moment" posts should be treated as such. Now, I have raised questions about his hiring. And I think there should be benchmarks for keeping the job. I don't care that he played here. He's coaching here now. In my opinion 8-4 is a solid season. 7-5 with a bowl loss, not so much. 6-6 last year with 2 terrible FCS wins is not acceptable.
No true Scotsman

NattyBumppo'sRevenge

Unread post by NattyBumppo'sRevenge » Tue Oct 03, 2023 1:06 pm

What would you rather have?

7-5 regular season with a convincing bowl win or 8-4 regular season with a disappointing bowl loss?

Also, would you rather eat poop flavored chocolate or chocolate flavored poop?

I’ll take my questions off the air and await your responses.

AppDub

Unread post by AppDub » Tue Oct 03, 2023 1:13 pm

NattyBumppo'sRevenge wrote:
Tue Oct 03, 2023 1:06 pm

7-5 regular season with a convincing bowl win or 8-4 regular season with a disappointing bowl loss?

Easy answer, poop flavored chocolate!

Bigdaddyg1

Unread post by Bigdaddyg1 » Tue Oct 03, 2023 1:21 pm

AppDub wrote:
Tue Oct 03, 2023 1:13 pm

Is that like when someone says "this tastes like shit!" The response is "how do you know what it tastes like?"

AppDub

Unread post by AppDub » Tue Oct 03, 2023 1:23 pm

Bigdaddyg1 wrote:
Tue Oct 03, 2023 1:21 pm
AppDub wrote:
Tue Oct 03, 2023 1:13 pm

Is that like when someone says "this tastes like shit!" The response is "how do you know what it tastes like?"
Exactly, and they always want you to try a bite.

The Rock

Unread post by The Rock » Tue Oct 03, 2023 3:32 pm

everyone should find and listen to the Kyle Bailey interview with steve smith about the state of the Panthers. While it is panther specific, he makes a LOT of good points that are directly related to this discussion and the views of fans expectations and frustrations. It really gives a new perspective coming from someone who really knows (played) the game vs the majority who just are fans and watch. Interesting to listen.

https://wfnz.com/504745/steve-smith-rea ... hers-loss/

appstatealum

Unread post by appstatealum » Tue Oct 03, 2023 5:17 pm

WVAPPeer wrote:
Mon Oct 02, 2023 10:08 pm
t4pizza wrote:
Mon Oct 02, 2023 11:38 am
appstatealum wrote:
Mon Oct 02, 2023 11:11 am
t4pizza wrote:
Mon Oct 02, 2023 10:21 am
appstatealum wrote:
Mon Oct 02, 2023 7:45 am
This team has no identity under Clark. That has and will be the underlying issue. Can it be corrected? Yes. But after a few years of the Jekyll/Hyde, I've lost hope that he can develop it at this point. It's unfortunate. I don't understand the sentiment of those who are defending Clark. He's an App State guy all the way through, and I love and support the guy for it. But the program has regressed when we should be progressing. He's had great opportunities to advance the program and hasn't taken hold of those. We go into each game, each season with a "who the hell knows what will happen" feeling and that's not good. Could it be worse? Yes. Could it be better? Yes. But if you believe we are in good hands with this staff, after what we have seen for a few years, then I guess nothing you see or hear can convince you any different.

Completely disagree on the identity of this team. To put it simple, the identity is a team that plays hard, for 4 quarters and NEVER quits until the clock says 0:00. If you don't see that from our team then I don't know what you have been watching. We don't quit. And that is and identity whether you recognize it or not. Sure this team makes mistakes, turnovers have killed us, but we don't ever quit. Also this team is much more disciplined than past teams. We still get penalties but not nearly as many big ones in bad situations (like a personal foul on our 3 and long where we convert but the penalties takes away the first down and makes it third and a mile). We have an identity, we play hard and don't quit.
That's why we are in a win one and lose one pattern. That's not an identity, that's part of a culture. Thank God App has retained that part of our culture amidst the shaky foundation last 6 years or so. Football identity is what you take into each games scheme-wise in all 3 phases of the game. It's the foundation upon which you gameplan and its what keeps you grounded when a game is thrown into chaos. It's the totem you try to manipulate the game back to when needed. We haven't had that under Clark. Just facts. Again I hope he turns it around. I was starting to be optimistic until Wyoming happened.
We will just have to agree to disagree as to whether or not a team playing hard and never quitting is an an identity or not. I clearly think it is, you clearly don't. I would say that hard nose never quit play is taken into each game scheme-wise in all 3 phases of the game. Please show me a player in any of those 3 phases that doesn't constantly play hard, play through the whistle and keep playing hard until the game is over. Of course it is an identity of this team.
To be blunt - anyone who thinks Playing Hard and Never Quitting is not an identity is just wrong - When I was a coach we had a mantra before each game - "Play hard and give it all you've got" - If the team did that then that was all I could ask--- were mistakes made by coach and players? - Absolutely!!! - Did we win every game? Hell NO, Did we take the field Hoping to Win - No, We took the field Expecting to Win --- It's a mindset that doesn't happen overnight.
I will take the team who plays hard and never quits over any "identity" you want to come up with!!!!!!
Ask AppGrad78 -
Yes, that's part of an identity. To be clear, I'm talking about "football identity" in relation to scheme in the 3 phases of a game. What's your strength, what's your weakness? How do you want a game to go? Things like that. I've coached for years and this was always something I establish early that way you have an anchor to ground yourself on when games or situations get dicey.
The Appalachian State

MrCraig

Unread post by MrCraig » Tue Oct 03, 2023 5:41 pm

appstatealum wrote:
Tue Oct 03, 2023 5:17 pm
WVAPPeer wrote:
t4pizza wrote:
appstatealum wrote:
t4pizza wrote:

Completely disagree on the identity of this team. To put it simple, the identity is a team that plays hard, for 4 quarters and NEVER quits until the clock says 0:00. If you don't see that from our team then I don't know what you have been watching. We don't quit. And that is and identity whether you recognize it or not. Sure this team makes mistakes, turnovers have killed us, but we don't ever quit. Also this team is much more disciplined than past teams. We still get penalties but not nearly as many big ones in bad situations (like a personal foul on our 3 and long where we convert but the penalties takes away the first down and makes it third and a mile). We have an identity, we play hard and don't quit.
That's why we are in a win one and lose one pattern. That's not an identity, that's part of a culture. Thank God App has retained that part of our culture amidst the shaky foundation last 6 years or so. Football identity is what you take into each games scheme-wise in all 3 phases of the game. It's the foundation upon which you gameplan and its what keeps you grounded when a game is thrown into chaos. It's the totem you try to manipulate the game back to when needed. We haven't had that under Clark. Just facts. Again I hope he turns it around. I was starting to be optimistic until Wyoming happened.
We will just have to agree to disagree as to whether or not a team playing hard and never quitting is an an identity or not. I clearly think it is, you clearly don't. I would say that hard nose never quit play is taken into each game scheme-wise in all 3 phases of the game. Please show me a player in any of those 3 phases that doesn't constantly play hard, play through the whistle and keep playing hard until the game is over. Of course it is an identity of this team.
To be blunt - anyone who thinks Playing Hard and Never Quitting is not an identity is just wrong - When I was a coach we had a mantra before each game - "Play hard and give it all you've got" - If the team did that then that was all I could ask--- were mistakes made by coach and players? - Absolutely!!! - Did we win every game? Hell NO, Did we take the field Hoping to Win - No, We took the field Expecting to Win --- It's a mindset that doesn't happen overnight.
I will take the team who plays hard and never quits over any "identity" you want to come up with!!!!!!
Ask AppGrad78 -
Yes, that's part of an identity. To be clear, I'm talking about "football identity" in relation to scheme in the 3 phases of a game. What's your strength, what's your weakness? How do you want a game to go? Things like that. I've coached for years and this was always something I establish early that way you have an anchor to ground yourself on when games or situations get dicey.
This is exactly what I’ve said on other threads. I think Clark has done a great job keeping up the CULTURE of App State. The any time- any where, we aren’t scared of anyone, we grit and grind attitude is still there.

But as for a football identity, I don’t see it either. I keep hearing it’s a “wear you down with the run” identity, but I don’t see it, and the facts don’t support it.

BambooRdApp

Unread post by BambooRdApp » Tue Oct 03, 2023 5:43 pm

We have the 2nd leading in the nation and that RB is 2nd in the nation in yards per carry
Last edited by BambooRdApp on Tue Oct 03, 2023 6:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Today I Give My All For Appalachian State!!
#FreeMillerHillForMoMoney!!
#SleeveStripesWereTheBomb!!
#99ForPresident!!

BambooRdApp

Unread post by BambooRdApp » Tue Oct 03, 2023 5:57 pm

We are 10th in total yards per game - total offense.
Today I Give My All For Appalachian State!!
#FreeMillerHillForMoMoney!!
#SleeveStripesWereTheBomb!!
#99ForPresident!!

WVAPPeer
School: Other

Unread post by WVAPPeer » Tue Oct 03, 2023 6:00 pm

appstatealum wrote:
Tue Oct 03, 2023 5:17 pm
WVAPPeer wrote:
t4pizza wrote:
appstatealum wrote:
t4pizza wrote:

Ask AppGrad78 -
Thanks for you comments and I see what you are saying but I just don't believe many programs have a long-term identity - A coach has to determine what "he/she has" - I might really want a wide-open offense, but I don't have the speed this year that I had last - I might want to grind it out, ball-control, but I don't have the pieces I need - In baseball, I might prefer to put pressure on my opponent by using speed but it's not there this year although I have some power so we will play for the big inning. Nick Saban has changed his offensive identity several times over the last decade. He never really has a star QB but they still won - now he has 4 QBs in the NFL - I'm sure you see what I am getting at ---
"Montani Semper Liberi"

The Dude Abides!!!

Pikapp79

Unread post by Pikapp79 » Tue Oct 03, 2023 7:39 pm

BambooRdApp wrote:
Tue Oct 03, 2023 5:57 pm
How about the other side of the ball?

Bigdaddyg1

Unread post by Bigdaddyg1 » Tue Oct 03, 2023 8:32 pm

Pikapp79 wrote:
Tue Oct 03, 2023 7:39 pm
BambooRdApp wrote:
Tue Oct 03, 2023 5:57 pm
How about the other side of the ball?
I believe more like 23rd in offensive YPG. Not bad but not 10th
Other side- 65th.

Way too early to worry about rankings and these stats. Get about 7 games played then see how it shakes out

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Appalachian Football”