Here is the link to the fall sports streaming schedule.

https://appstatesports.com/news/2023/8/ ... edule.aspx

Let's talk about Clark

yosef69
School: Appalachian State

Re: Let's talk about Clark

Unread post by yosef69 » Sun Oct 22, 2023 12:13 am

njcarr wrote:
Sun Oct 22, 2023 12:02 am
My opinion of what I've been reading on Most of these posts (not everyone) --- What a bunch of crybabies, "football" ignorant losers -- no clue to the reality of football. Yes, losing the close ones is awful. However, takeaway 12 plays in the season and a few questionable calls, what a difference -- possibly 7-0 or 6-1. EXECUTION of the plays called is the difference, not coaching!! I see several positive changes since the season began: young players learning how to be team players, adjustments in dealing with injuries to key players even before the season started.
The season can still be "salvaged" and with some help from other SBC teams, as well as App winning out, a division championship could happen. Mediocre teams are those that give up when times are rough; I don't see the players giving up.
I do see many of the posters on this board being mediocre - already given up before it's all over. I've heard about such folks talking like this in earlier years, Coach Moore and Coach Satterfield come to mind. I'm very glad they were wrong.
As to comments about the Chancellor's thoughts -- suggesting a coaching change at this time -- she doesn't understand the dynamics of football either. If this mentality is really based on her image with how she fits with the other college "big wigs," than she really needs to go. I would rather have someone interested in the students, community, and school.
As for me, I say Go ASU!! Keep improving, win the rest of the games, avoid the portal, have fun!! This year will remain a good season, and next year has the potential to be a great season!!!
As long as I am able, I will be in the stands with full support!!!!
Always one rat that doesn’t jump off the sinking ship. “Guys, I know we are taking on a lot of water but we have to support the titanic! It is unsinkable!”

RaleighApp27609

Unread post by RaleighApp27609 » Sun Oct 22, 2023 12:25 am

njcarr wrote:
My opinion of what I've been reading on Most of these posts (not everyone) --- What a bunch of crybabies, "football" ignorant losers -- no clue to the reality of football. Yes, losing the close ones is awful. However, takeaway 12 plays in the season and a few questionable calls, what a difference -- possibly 7-0 or 6-1. EXECUTION of the plays called is the difference, not coaching!! I see several positive changes since the season began: young players learning how to be team players, adjustments in dealing with injuries to key players even before the season started.
The season can still be "salvaged" and with some help from other SBC teams, as well as App winning out, a division championship could happen. Mediocre teams are those that give up when times are rough; I don't see the players giving up.
I do see many of the posters on this board being mediocre - already given up before it's all over. I've heard about such folks talking like this in earlier years, Coach Moore and Coach Satterfield come to mind. I'm very glad they were wrong.
As to comments about the Chancellor's thoughts -- suggesting a coaching change at this time -- she doesn't understand the dynamics of football either. If this mentality is really based on her image with how she fits with the other college "big wigs," than she really needs to go. I would rather have someone interested in the students, community, and school.
As for me, I say Go ASU!! Keep improving, win the rest of the games, avoid the portal, have fun!! This year will remain a good season, and next year has the potential to be a great season!!!
Found one of the few remaining who are still in denial about the state if the program. "WiN the ReSt oF ThE gAmEs...HaVe FuN!" How can this season "remain" a good season when it has gone to shit with a low probability of improving? Go back to reading your copy of Magic on the Mountain.

njcarr

Unread post by njcarr » Sun Oct 22, 2023 1:13 am

You've confirmed my observations!!!

appgrad95&97

Unread post by appgrad95&97 » Sun Oct 22, 2023 1:59 am

GSUwasGump’sFallbackSchool wrote:
Sat Oct 21, 2023 9:42 pm
/\PP ST/\TE GRAD 09 wrote:
Sat Oct 21, 2023 9:37 pm
asu7 wrote:
Sat Oct 21, 2023 9:33 pm
Clark was the best option at the time of Drink’s departure. However, he has proved he can’t be head guy. I don’t think any of us hate him we just want him gone as HC. Heck he’s a great oline coach.
Really?!?
Agreed. There was ZERO competition for him in 2019, and ZERO 3.5 years later. He had no experience, and DG and the administration panicked and made a poor choice. DG doubled down and got him paid after performing well with other coaches’ players. Honestly DG deserves a ton of heat if he waits until 12/2 to make a decision, because he struck out hard here.
A lazy hire.

Rekdiver

Unread post by Rekdiver » Sun Oct 22, 2023 2:18 am

Ken Peacock is having a chat with God right now…..

Unread post by 8993 » Sun Oct 22, 2023 2:25 am

njcarr wrote:
Sun Oct 22, 2023 1:13 am
You've confirmed my observations!!!
You literally called a portion of this fanbase mediocre for not having the same opinion as you. Pot, meet kettle.

BallantyneApp

Unread post by BallantyneApp » Sun Oct 22, 2023 7:08 am

njcarr wrote:

These takes are always so wild to me.
Do you go to a restaurant where the hostess doesn’t seat you, the waiter takes the wrong order, the server brings the wrong food, the chef cooks the food wrong, the busser never comes and they charge you the wrong amount and think to yourself “hey, I was only a few steps away from a perfect dining experience. The manager here is in no way the problem and his staff just isn’t executing. I’ll make sure to recommend to my friends that they keep coming here”

Everyone here wanted Clark to be Uber successful, but it isn’t happening. We’re not progressing this season and we’re not progressing overall during his tenure. The opposite in fact

Someone on twitter said- there’s a difference between being responsible and being accountable. Clark isn’t 100% responsible for the losses this year, but he’s 100% accountable

MrCraig

Unread post by MrCraig » Sun Oct 22, 2023 7:18 am

appstate24 wrote:
Sat Oct 21, 2023 11:09 pm
MrCraig wrote:
Sat Oct 21, 2023 10:53 pm
appstate24 wrote:
Sat Oct 21, 2023 9:44 pm
T-Dog wrote:
Sat Oct 21, 2023 9:38 pm
If Clark is fired, it will suck. Because it's an admission of failure. There's no celebration in that. Even when App fired Capel, Jones and Fox, it didn't feel good in the end. It's sad and depressing, even if it's the right thing to do.

Just keep that in mind. No need for celebrations.
100% Agree. Terrible situation. Lots of families involved.

GO APPS!!
I would honestly and truly love for my dad to get fired from his job and paid $1 million on December 1st. Like, that would be the best thing that ever happened to my family.
Pretty douchey comment. It won’t be just Clark’s family that has the head of the house losing their job.
I understand there are some wives and kids who are going to have to uproot their lives if there is a major coaching change, but that’s life sometimes. It’s happened to me, and probably a lot of people on this board. You handle it, learn from it, and do better next time.

Bigdaddyg1

Unread post by Bigdaddyg1 » Sun Oct 22, 2023 7:21 am

One of you geniuses please provide a few realistic examples of college football teams who were really good, went through massive coaching changes, dipped in performance then fired the head coach, hired yet another one then returned to the perceived prior level. I'll wait for examples and the long list.

Saint3333

Unread post by Saint3333 » Sun Oct 22, 2023 7:28 am

Not a genius, but sure:

Alabama
Michigan

Pretty much any historic program that had a dip, made a change and came out stronger.

Unread post by 8993 » Sun Oct 22, 2023 7:32 am

Bigdaddyg1 wrote:
Sun Oct 22, 2023 7:21 am
One of you geniuses please provide a few realistic examples of college football teams who were really good, went through massive coaching changes, dipped in performance then fired the head coach, hired yet another one then returned to the perceived prior level. I'll wait for examples and the long list.
Why does this matter in the slightest? I couldn't care less about what other programs are doing or have done. I care about what APP STATE is doing and will do. Staffing changes come with rough patches, of course, but at this point, we've given the head honcho in charge here chance after chance and he simply isn't progressing this team. I'd rather take a risk on someone who is hungry for wins and growth rather than someone who seems lost and dazed on the sideline.

Let's just look at Shawn's record since he started in this full-time position. He went 9-3 with another coach's team in 2020, kept the ball rolling in 2021 at 10-4, then dipped last season once we started seeing his recruits in motion at 6-6, and now we're at 3-4, possibly looking at a record of 4-8 by the end of the season. How does that instill confidence in you? I don't want to hear that progress takes time when we're literally regressing. The staff isn't clicking, the team seems unmotivated, and the few donors we have won't have it.

I mean this: we have nothing to lose by rolling the dice and trying something new. We are in dead last in the east. Only ULM and Southern Miss have worst records than us in the Belt. Why stick with someone that isn't showing you a clear path of progress? That'd be like giving a promotion to the guy who shows up late to work and turns in his work two weeks late, all because he's got a good heart. Make it make sense.

Wilkesfan

Unread post by Wilkesfan » Sun Oct 22, 2023 7:43 am

It’s time to make a coaching change. Clark will be a fine OL coach for another mid size program. I agree that this was a lazy hire by GG. DG must do a national search for the next coach. We fans will not support a mediocre football team. Time to move on.

BallantyneApp

Unread post by BallantyneApp » Sun Oct 22, 2023 7:44 am

Bigdaddyg1 wrote:
Two in our conference recently. Ga Sou and Troy lost good coaches, hired bad ones, fixed their mistakes (Ga Sou took 2 tries) and now appear to be back on track. Troy won the sbc in year 1 of a new coach coming off a 5-7 season and finished in the top 20 AP

Now, can YOU please provide any examples of a coach taking a G5 juggernaut into mediocrity or worse in 4 seasons, and then somehow turning it back in a fifth season into a conference contender?

Unread post by 8993 » Sun Oct 22, 2023 7:47 am

I'd be genuinely curious to know how the team is feeling these days. Do they feel like they're being fully coached to their best potential? Are they as unmotivated as it looks on the field or is it all just a show? Have they lost all hope for the season and this staff?

I really don't know what's going on in the locker room, but I sure would love to.

hotrod2001

Unread post by hotrod2001 » Sun Oct 22, 2023 7:53 am

Bigdaddyg1 wrote:
Clemson
Michigan
LSU
UCF
Notre Dame
Florida State
Kansas State

Bigdaddyg1

Unread post by Bigdaddyg1 » Sun Oct 22, 2023 8:07 am

hotrod2001 wrote:
Sun Oct 22, 2023 7:53 am
Bigdaddyg1 wrote:
Clemson- when was this?
Michigan- how badly did they dip?
LSU
UCF
Notre Dame- same as Michigan above
Florida State- I'll give you this one
Kansas State- were they really good?

311neers

Unread post by 311neers » Sun Oct 22, 2023 8:10 am

We could keep him for 11 years and be Dave Doeren and NcState. Wouldn’t have a peaceful Saturday for the next 11 years.

Saint3333

Unread post by Saint3333 » Sun Oct 22, 2023 8:10 am

Big daddy give it up, you asked a silly question, it’s been answered. Now you’d like to discuss semantics of your silly question. Take the L and move on, all your goals are still in front of you.

RaleighApp27609

Unread post by RaleighApp27609 » Sun Oct 22, 2023 8:12 am

BallantyneApp wrote:
Sun Oct 22, 2023 7:44 am
Bigdaddyg1 wrote:
Two in our conference recently. Ga Sou and Troy lost good coaches, hired bad ones, fixed their mistakes (Ga Sou took 2 tries) and now appear to be back on track. Troy won the sbc in year 1 of a new coach coming off a 5-7 season and finished in the top 20 AP

Now, can YOU please provide any examples of a coach taking a G5 juggernaut into mediocrity or worse in 4 seasons, and then somehow turning it back in a fifth season into a conference contender?
Still waiting for the last question to be answered.

beav910

Unread post by beav910 » Sun Oct 22, 2023 8:15 am

It’s interesting seeing these discussions for the last few months and thoughts coming from two camps. One thinks it’s the players fault for not executing and the other thinks it’s the coaching staff.
Appalachian State Alumnus :: Graphic Designer

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Appalachian Football”