Here is the link to the fall sports streaming schedule.

https://appstatesports.com/news/2023/8/ ... edule.aspx

Who?

AppStFan1
School: Appalachian State

Re: Who?

Unread post by AppStFan1 » Sun Oct 22, 2023 8:15 pm

311neers wrote:
Sun Oct 22, 2023 4:37 pm
DenverOfTheEast wrote:
Sun Oct 22, 2023 3:48 pm
What's the profile Gillin and Sofield want - an OC, a DC or a former or current HC?

Then it goes to:

Who is interested?

Who can AppState afford?

Who turns it down and then who is left standing?

Parker Search Firm will have the search knowing the past connection and the Parkers are members of Elk River, they probably already have a small list for Gillin to look over.

Gillin will want a hire before Christmas Break - the last game is Nov 25th, if you fire him Nov 26-Nov 30 big payday -- looking at calendar Press Conference will be around Dec 3rd - around that Auburn home basketball game meet the New coach at that Auburn basketball!!

Bet my paycheck this is already being planned this morning.
This checks out. Heard word big donors called in day after coastal. Next morning, Clark looked like he had the flu at his presser. I think he knew.
The thing is even after Coastal he had, and still does, have a mathematical path but it is just not realistic. He has to know and I know this hurts him. I am more worried about Shawn emotionally than professionally in terms of getting a chance to land somewhere.

We do need a few upgrades but overall I think we have some talent and can have a big year in 2024 with the right staff.

ASU_BrewCrew

Unread post by ASU_BrewCrew » Sun Oct 22, 2023 9:43 pm

Warren Ruggiero could be the answer....just sayin

HurricaneYosef

Unread post by HurricaneYosef » Sun Oct 22, 2023 10:14 pm

When Neal Brown gets canned from WVU would he consider a Sun Belt return?

Would Steve Wilks come to the college ranks?

Would Shawn Elliott be an upgrade over our current Shawn?

Would Garett Riley leave Clemson as a highly paid coordinator to be the HC at a program he had (1 year of) success at?

Would Bronco Mendenhall come back to college football after having success at BYU and Virginia?

Will the BOT approve Josh Gattis this time?

Do we continue with looking for familiarity in someone like Mark Ivey? (Ivey is undefeated all time as a HC)

Do we pull an ECU and just poach a successful FCS/D2 coach (Kerwin Bell WCU, Jason Simpson UT Martin, Mike Jacobs Lenoir Rhyne)?

Is the next Deion Sanders out there for us to hire as a head coach with zero prior HC / coordinator experience?

Can we get a coach as cool as Biff Poggi?

I'm glad these decisions aren't mine to make :lol:

Tru2ASU

Unread post by Tru2ASU » Mon Oct 23, 2023 5:39 am

ASU_BrewCrew wrote:
Sun Oct 22, 2023 9:43 pm
My brother is deep into WF ball, longtime season ticket holder. He said Ruggerio is already making what we could offer, is a lifetime assistant at this point at 57, and the fanbase has been hot the last 2 years over the offensive play calling

appst89
Site Admin

Unread post by appst89 » Mon Oct 23, 2023 5:46 am

I have heard things that suggest the powers that be are not nearly as close to the edge as the majority of the fanbase. With both coordinators having guaranteed two year deals, I am beginning to believe that nothing is going to be done this year regardless of the record.

GSUwasGump’sFallbackSchool

Unread post by GSUwasGump’sFallbackSchool » Mon Oct 23, 2023 6:14 am

appst89 wrote:
Mon Oct 23, 2023 5:46 am
I have heard things that suggest the powers that be are not nearly as close to the edge as the majority of the fanbase. With both coordinators having guaranteed two year deals, I am beginning to believe that nothing is going to be done this year regardless of the record.
Good god, the mood for next season will be absolutely dismal.

Black Saturday

Unread post by Black Saturday » Mon Oct 23, 2023 6:18 am

HurricaneYosef wrote:
Sun Oct 22, 2023 10:14 pm

Would Garett Riley leave Clemson as a highly paid coordinator to be the HC at a program he had (1 year of) success at?

Would Bronco Mendenhall come back to college football after having success at BYU and Virginia?

Do we continue with looking for familiarity in someone like Mark Ivey? (Ivey is undefeated all time as a HC)

Do we pull an ECU and just poach a successful FCS/D2 coach (Kerwin Bell WCU, Jason Simpson UT Martin, Mike Jacobs Lenoir Rhyne)?

Is the next Deion Sanders out there for us to hire as a head coach with zero prior HC / coordinator experience?

Some these hypotheticals are hiring family again. Scratch those or we'll end up having family feuds like we are having now. Maybe if Clark doesn't
turn things around, it might be time for a fresh set of cutting-edge ideas on how to run this program? Everyone knows how to scheme us since our vanilla offense has been run for so long.
Last edited by Black Saturday on Mon Oct 23, 2023 6:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
BLACK SATURDAY

WataugaMan

Unread post by WataugaMan » Mon Oct 23, 2023 6:19 am

appst89 wrote:
In addition, I've heard there are many starting to disapprove of DG.

BallantyneApp

Unread post by BallantyneApp » Mon Oct 23, 2023 6:47 am

Tru2ASU wrote:
Mon Oct 23, 2023 5:39 am
ASU_BrewCrew wrote:
My brother is deep into WF ball, longtime season ticket holder. He said Ruggerio is already making what we could offer, is a lifetime assistant at this point at 57, and the fanbase has been hot the last 2 years over the offensive play calling
I saw Ruggerio made $600k in 2021. Clark is making $950k this year. New coach is almost certainly going to be north of a $MM

He’s right about the lifetime assistant thing. And he may choose to be a P5 coordinator over a g5 coach at this point in his life, but it would be a substantial raise for him.

ArmantiWaterSafety

Unread post by ArmantiWaterSafety » Mon Oct 23, 2023 7:13 am

It's not terribly surprising to hear that they're not looking to make a change. We're competitive, albeit on the wrong side of it 90% of the time, but I think they've bought into the long-term vision of Clark of saying 2024 is the year everything clicks, and I sure as hell hope they're right.

The Rock

Unread post by The Rock » Mon Oct 23, 2023 7:19 am

HurricaneYosef wrote:

Its taken Elliott 6 years to turn Georgia State into a Sun belt contender. We have been trying to lynch clark since year 2. The fanbase doesn't have the patience to (re)build a great program.
And from the other post about donors; I don't care who Sofield wants. The last time we let a donor dictate a HC hire, our BB program was set back over a decade. Gillin has shown he can hire the right person. Firing him to make way for a donor's preferred hire is a huge mistake and would be one of the worst things for the University

GSUwasGump’sFallbackSchool

Unread post by GSUwasGump’sFallbackSchool » Mon Oct 23, 2023 7:22 am

WataugaMan wrote:
Mon Oct 23, 2023 6:19 am
appst89 wrote:
Making a terrible hire then doubling down and paying him enough that you can’t can him will do that.

DenverOfTheEast

Unread post by DenverOfTheEast » Mon Oct 23, 2023 7:26 am

WataugaMan wrote:
appst89 wrote:
Here we go..... it's not about his hires, it's about the infrastructure of helping his hires.

He's a IMG "Brander" -- He creates slogans (Make an Impact🙄)
He has NO #2 in the department especially since Suzette left, she was the glue behind the scenes with many.
Got lucky with Ricks walking through the door and suckered him and Sheri into a fat contract.

He doesn't know what his coaches are going through and he was 110% clueless on how tough this NEW Sun Belt was going to be. Football on the outside has saved his tail and he really didn't doing anything but piggy back off of what Satt built. MAKE YOUR HEAD COACHES JOBS EASIER!!!

Hire a former Head Coach or some athletic past as the AD and let him hire fundraisers and marketing people under neath him.

Tru2ASU

Unread post by Tru2ASU » Mon Oct 23, 2023 7:37 am

BallantyneApp wrote:
Mon Oct 23, 2023 6:47 am
Tru2ASU wrote:
Mon Oct 23, 2023 5:39 am
ASU_BrewCrew wrote:
I saw Ruggerio made $600k in 2021. Clark is making $950k this year. New coach is almost certainly going to be north of a $MM

He’s right about the lifetime assistant thing. And he may choose to be a P5 coordinator over a g5 coach at this point in his life, but it would be a substantial raise for him.
Clawson and staff got re-upped after flirting with Virginia Tech.

appst89
Site Admin

Unread post by appst89 » Mon Oct 23, 2023 7:40 am

GSUwasGump’sFallbackSchool wrote:
Mon Oct 23, 2023 7:22 am
WataugaMan wrote:
appst89 wrote:
Making a terrible hire then doubling down and paying him enough that you can’t can him will do that.
I can't remember a lower point for App football in the 38 years I have followed. And I don't have any faith in anybody in that building to fix it. I've resigned myself to just watching to see what happens.

BallantyneApp

Unread post by BallantyneApp » Mon Oct 23, 2023 7:42 am

The Rock wrote:
Mon Oct 23, 2023 7:19 am
HurricaneYosef wrote:

Its taken Elliott 6 years to turn Georgia State into a Sun belt contender. We have been trying to lynch clark since year 2. The fanbase doesn't have the patience to (re)build a great program.
And from the other post about donors; I don't care who Sofield wants. The last time we let a donor dictate a HC hire, our BB program was set back over a decade. Gillin has shown he can hire the right person. Firing him to make way for a donor's preferred hire is a huge mistake and would be one of the worst things for the University
Context matters.

Elliot took over a 3-9 ga state team that was just a few years removed from going 1-23 and had NEVER had a winning record at the fbs level.

Clark took over a 13-1 team that had NEVER had a losing fbs record and 4 straight conference championships and now we are all hoping for a 6-6 season.

Just not the same. That being said I don’t want Elliot and I agree about letting donors have influence.

appgrad95&97

Unread post by appgrad95&97 » Mon Oct 23, 2023 7:43 am

appst89 wrote:
I don't know when you got your information. It was the same as mine. But Saturday may have changed things.

CharlotteApp05

Unread post by CharlotteApp05 » Mon Oct 23, 2023 7:50 am

I do think we have a few folks with information on this board. What is interesting especially on recent posts is that there is conflicting reports. One side Clark potentially here to stay through 24. The other says decisions have already been made to look for a new guy.

I have two views. One we may not know what the heck we are doing. We realize Clark's buyout is bad. We realize he isn't going to take us where we want to go, but we also hope for a better 24. I think if we do choose this path, we better be 100% sure that the program (aka the players) also believe in 24 and are willing to stay with him this offseason.

The other view I have is we could do a Satterfield situation where we hire the next head coach to serve as a Coordinator for a season under Clark and then next year he takes over. Coach in waiting sort of thing.

Whatever they choose is one thing, but for the fanbase to not completely lose composure (aka the team gets booed out of the stadium), we better beat Souther Miss.

appst89
Site Admin

Unread post by appst89 » Mon Oct 23, 2023 7:52 am

appgrad95&97 wrote:
Mon Oct 23, 2023 7:43 am
appst89 wrote:
I don't know when you got your information. It was the same as mine. But Saturday may have changed things.
It was after Saturday.

Tru2ASU

Unread post by Tru2ASU » Mon Oct 23, 2023 7:56 am

We have 19 3 star players committed to next year. Most seem to be recruited by Sloan and Ponce. We know how stuff can change, but I would say that would be one argument for keeping things in place one more season.

I don't think contracts or money will play a factor. And, I always take these things with a grain of salt. The higher you go in administration, the more political it gets. They can talk out of both sides of their mouth very well.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Appalachian Football”