Here is the link to the fall sports streaming schedule.

https://appstatesports.com/news/2023/8/ ... edule.aspx

Who?

Tru2ASU
School: Appalachian State

Re: Who?

Unread post by Tru2ASU » Mon Oct 23, 2023 5:18 pm

AppStFan1 wrote:
Mon Oct 23, 2023 5:14 pm
CharlotteApp05 wrote:
Mon Oct 23, 2023 2:53 pm
Sounds like best case scenario that is not going to happen, given what Stonewall just said is:

Clark, Sloan and Ponce remain and we hire Elliott as Coach in waiting for 1 year similar to what we did with Satterfield.

Most likely scenario: We win USM and maybe 1-2 more, Clark comes back.

Worst case scenario: We win/lose USM and win no additional games and Clark comes back.
Elliott would 100% leave to be our HC but he is not giving up his current job to be an analyst or HC in waiting. There is no way that would happen.
He'll get extended this off season.

Bigdaddyg1

Unread post by Bigdaddyg1 » Mon Oct 23, 2023 5:23 pm

t4pizza wrote:
Mon Oct 23, 2023 9:19 am
There were many posters on here last season complaining about all the bad things that were going to happen because the season was so disappointing. According to those posters, many are the same ones saying the same things this year, we will lose players to the portal, we will lose donations to Yosef, we will not sell as many tickets, etc. Well, all of those beliefs and posts about last year were dead wrong. We lost very little production to the Portal, sure Jalen was a huge loss but we will NEVER beat out a 200k offer from a SEC school. Other than that, no starters left us which clearly showed they players still believed in Clark. Our Yosef contributions set another record this year past season. Truth be told that probably has as much to do with the new parking and seat donation requirements but nonetheless it went up. Season tickets sold out well before the Fall AND there is a purported waiting list.
By the beginning of next season we will see if any of this "sky is falling" fears are realized but I doubt it. Yes, JMU is our big home game next year but we get NCSU the following year and I doubt many want to risk losing their seats to someone on the waiting list that might not relinquish them in 25. In the end, I don't see the fan financial support declining even if Clark returns for 2024. I happened to look at our attendance for 2019 since it is always hailed as our best year ever, surprisingly it was significantly lower than the this year (so far) or last. Since Covid our fans have come out in full force and I don't see that changing, hell we got 34k for a Tuesday night game. I just don't see the fans leaving in large numbers.
I've got a news flash. Every App alumnus/fan does not absolutely live and die based on how the football team performs. Believe it or not there is a huge segment that will go to games no matter what. Of that huge segment most don't know the ins and outs of recruiting, coaching philosophy and they don't follow the transfer portal. A whole bunch of people just enjoy the tailgating and game experience. They bring the kids to games, grab a meal in town, purchase swag and all the other stuff.

I meant this to piggyback on what you said.

Tru2ASU

Unread post by Tru2ASU » Mon Oct 23, 2023 5:42 pm

We'll sell out of season tickets, and sure, we don't have an ACC team visiting, but ETSU and Liberty games will sell well.

AppStFan1

Unread post by AppStFan1 » Mon Oct 23, 2023 5:45 pm

Tru2ASU wrote:
Mon Oct 23, 2023 5:18 pm
AppStFan1 wrote:
Mon Oct 23, 2023 5:14 pm
CharlotteApp05 wrote:
Mon Oct 23, 2023 2:53 pm
Sounds like best case scenario that is not going to happen, given what Stonewall just said is:

Clark, Sloan and Ponce remain and we hire Elliott as Coach in waiting for 1 year similar to what we did with Satterfield.

Most likely scenario: We win USM and maybe 1-2 more, Clark comes back.

Worst case scenario: We win/lose USM and win no additional games and Clark comes back.
Elliott would 100% leave to be our HC but he is not giving up his current job to be an analyst or HC in waiting. There is no way that would happen.
He'll get extended this off season.
What is crazy is that many fans wanted him fired back in 2021 but now he looks much better off. I would imagine they will look to extend him but from some close to him I was told he would turn it down to come back to App as head coach.

MrCraig

Unread post by MrCraig » Mon Oct 23, 2023 5:48 pm

Bigdaddyg1 wrote:
Mon Oct 23, 2023 5:23 pm
t4pizza wrote:
There were many posters on here last season complaining about all the bad things that were going to happen because the season was so disappointing. According to those posters, many are the same ones saying the same things this year, we will lose players to the portal, we will lose donations to Yosef, we will not sell as many tickets, etc. Well, all of those beliefs and posts about last year were dead wrong. We lost very little production to the Portal, sure Jalen was a huge loss but we will NEVER beat out a 200k offer from a SEC school. Other than that, no starters left us which clearly showed they players still believed in Clark. Our Yosef contributions set another record this year past season. Truth be told that probably has as much to do with the new parking and seat donation requirements but nonetheless it went up. Season tickets sold out well before the Fall AND there is a purported waiting list.
By the beginning of next season we will see if any of this "sky is falling" fears are realized but I doubt it. Yes, JMU is our big home game next year but we get NCSU the following year and I doubt many want to risk losing their seats to someone on the waiting list that might not relinquish them in 25. In the end, I don't see the fan financial support declining even if Clark returns for 2024. I happened to look at our attendance for 2019 since it is always hailed as our best year ever, surprisingly it was significantly lower than the this year (so far) or last. Since Covid our fans have come out in full force and I don't see that changing, hell we got 34k for a Tuesday night game. I just don't see the fans leaving in large numbers.
I've got a news flash. Every App alumnus/fan does not absolutely live and die based on how the football team performs. Believe it or not there is a huge segment that will go to games no matter what. Of that huge segment most don't know the ins and outs of recruiting, coaching philosophy and they don't follow the transfer portal. A whole bunch of people just enjoy the tailgating and game experience. They bring the kids to games, grab a meal in town, purchase swag and all the other stuff.

To piggyback further, I also don’t think Clark being fired will create a max exodus of players either. I’d venture to say that a lot of those guys came to play for App State, not just Shawn Clark. Will some hit the portal? Absolutely. But the portal works both ways, and whoever the next guy is might also be someone these guys want to play for, he might bring his own guys through the portal, or he may just find some other really great players. A lot of teams undergo a coaching change and don’t immediately fly off into a tailspin.

Yosefus

Unread post by Yosefus » Mon Oct 23, 2023 6:07 pm

My opinion is that with our fan base it would take a while to get to empty seats, I mean less than 75% capacity. My fear is going multiple seasons with 6-6 or worse then the casual fans stop coming. Even worse is not getting players capable of competing either out of high school or the portal. No one wants to play for a team that cant compete. It would be even more difficult to get funds for NIL to attract or keep quality players, this could be an issue already and we don't realize it.

AppStFan1

Unread post by AppStFan1 » Mon Oct 23, 2023 6:19 pm

MrCraig wrote:
Mon Oct 23, 2023 5:48 pm
Bigdaddyg1 wrote:
Mon Oct 23, 2023 5:23 pm
t4pizza wrote:

To piggyback further, I also don’t think Clark being fired will create a max exodus of players either. I’d venture to say that a lot of those guys came to play for App State, not just Shawn Clark. Will some hit the portal? Absolutely. But the portal works both ways, and whoever the next guy is might also be someone these guys want to play for, he might bring his own guys through the portal, or he may just find some other really great players. A lot of teams undergo a coaching change and don’t immediately fly off into a tailspin.
I think we would lose a lot if Gillin made a move before December but I also think it would be a stupid move and he will wait to let it play out. I have my doubts and do expect that we will be looking for a coach but I also know it would be dumb to make a move before the buyout drops in December.

Rekdiver

Unread post by Rekdiver » Mon Oct 23, 2023 7:49 pm

SC is working as hard as anyone ever has to make this team successful. He hasn’t gotten there yet But those of us who harp on honoring commitments need to let this play to the end.

Stonewall

Unread post by Stonewall » Mon Oct 23, 2023 8:30 pm

appgrad95&97 wrote:
Mon Oct 23, 2023 1:45 pm
Whether he should be or not, Gillin is absolutely safe.
I believe he signed a multi year extension not too long ago .So , yes he should be safe from termination .He will perhaps not be without repercussions however if things don't turnaround within the timeframe expected by his higher ups.I would like to know the timeframe but I do not.

Yosefus

Unread post by Yosefus » Tue Oct 24, 2023 7:59 pm

James Franklin

spacemonkey

Unread post by spacemonkey » Tue Oct 24, 2023 9:01 pm

you guys crack me up saying "ELLIOT". Y'all would have never given him the time to get to the success he is having at Georgia State this year. It has taken him a while to get here. I hope we give Clark one more year. I hate watching his offense but, you should make coaching changes not very often. It can get worse. I think he is learning.....I Hope!!!!!!!!!!!!!

BallantyneApp

Unread post by BallantyneApp » Tue Oct 24, 2023 9:38 pm

Rekdiver wrote:
Mon Oct 23, 2023 7:49 pm
SC is working as hard as anyone ever has to make this team successful. He hasn’t gotten there yet But those of us who harp on honoring commitments need to let this play to the end.
To all whom it may concern:
Paying a buyout is honoring the commitment.

mike87

Unread post by mike87 » Wed Oct 25, 2023 7:17 am

BallantyneApp wrote:
Tue Oct 24, 2023 9:38 pm
Rekdiver wrote:
A buyout is the penalty for not honoring commitments. Typically referred to as the penalty in a contract. But whatever.

yosef69

Unread post by yosef69 » Wed Oct 25, 2023 7:27 am

mike87 wrote:
Wed Oct 25, 2023 7:17 am
BallantyneApp wrote:
Rekdiver wrote:
A buyout is the penalty for not honoring commitments. Typically referred to as the penalty in a contract. But whatever.
The terms of the contract are the commitment. He gets his money either way.

We wouldn’t be in breach of the contract if he received his buyout. So the commitment was upheld.

The Rock

Unread post by The Rock » Wed Oct 25, 2023 8:05 am

I bet the same people screaming for Clark to get fired would be the same ones questioning his loyalty to App if he had 3 great seasons and left for a P5. Loyalty is a 2 way street.
Side note, Obviously winning is a VERY important part of being the HC, but running a classy program with high character people is too. If you look behind the scenes a little, you can see that Clark is a very decent person, who has assembled a great staff and a team of young men that App Nation should be proud of, and that should mean something. Wasn't it Jerry Moore who said its more than just a game?

yosef69

Unread post by yosef69 » Wed Oct 25, 2023 8:31 am

The Rock wrote:
Wed Oct 25, 2023 8:05 am
I bet the same people screaming for Clark to get fired would be the same ones questioning his loyalty to App if he had 3 great seasons and left for a P5. Loyalty is a 2 way street.
Side note, Obviously winning is a VERY important part of being the HC, but running a classy program with high character people is too. If you look behind the scenes a little, you can see that Clark is a very decent person, who has assembled a great staff and a team of young men that App Nation should be proud of, and that should mean something. Wasn't it Jerry Moore who said its more than just a game?
Stop it with this tired crap. Wins are everything. Of course the nicey nice means something but it is well behind winning on the priority list.

Rekdiver

Unread post by Rekdiver » Wed Oct 25, 2023 8:37 am

BallantyneApp wrote:
Rekdiver wrote:
Technically…..

MrCraig

Unread post by MrCraig » Wed Oct 25, 2023 8:58 am

yosef69 wrote:
Wed Oct 25, 2023 8:31 am
The Rock wrote:
Stop it with this tired crap. Wins are everything. Of course the nicey nice means something but it is well behind winning on the priority list.
This was the same argument UGA fans were making a few years ago about Mark Richt. Richt was a good coach who was an incredibly good man who focused on helping mold great men. However, he didn't beat Alabama and Florida enough, and he couldn't "win the big one." So they hired Kirby Smart, who is NOT a very nice guy and is only really concerned with winning. This has resulted in 2 national championships and 3 playoff appearances, so most UGA fans are very happy. So, I guess you just have to decide which side of that you're on.

GSUwasGump’sFallbackSchool

Unread post by GSUwasGump’sFallbackSchool » Wed Oct 25, 2023 9:28 am

The Rock wrote:
Lol wrap it up folks, this one can’t be topped.

You’re afforded “class” when you’re at the top, when you’re the bottom of the conference (which we are) “class” is just another word for “soft.” Winning is THE important part of being HC.

GSUwasGump’sFallbackSchool

Unread post by GSUwasGump’sFallbackSchool » Wed Oct 25, 2023 9:41 am

Also, an all time great’s opinion on the “snake.”

https://x.com/ItzLiveee/status/1716631842093252664?s=20

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Appalachian Football”