Here is the link to the fall sports streaming schedule.

https://appstatesports.com/news/2023/8/ ... edule.aspx

App Fans

pop5app
School: Appalachian State

Re: App Fans

Unread post by pop5app » Wed Oct 11, 2023 12:19 pm

WataugaMan wrote:
Wed Oct 11, 2023 11:16 am
pop5app wrote:
Wed Oct 11, 2023 9:55 am
I will offer a possible suggestion. Give SC a one year extension which takes the recruiting issue off the table temporarily. We can then see if 2024 is “the year” as some have promised. With understanding that we must win 9 games or the contract is discontinued with no buy-out. We save 1 mil, & we will have given one of our own a fair shake. Just a thought.
SC's current contract doesn't expire until the end of season 2024, therefore, an extension is not needed.

I guess I didn’t explain my thought as good as I needed. Extend SC thru 25.(THE year) With no buyout , if he doesn’t preform in 24. He can recruit this year with confidence that he has an extension and other teams can’t beat him/us over the head with the “ lame duck” recruiting line. Save the million $ buyout and in my opinion we will have given him as fair a shake as possible. Even though recruits may not care, other coaches will Use it .After all he is an APP guy.

Bigdaddyg1

Unread post by Bigdaddyg1 » Wed Oct 11, 2023 12:26 pm

If what I've read is accurate we should be very good next year, based on who we will return. If coach is replaced and some hot young coach comes in and goes 10-2 he's gone. How does all that upheaval affect recruiting? Then we are looking for another coach and trying to keep prospects. If we want to be Texas State and just fill half the roster with portal players then so be it.

1997CLT

Unread post by 1997CLT » Wed Oct 11, 2023 12:28 pm

appstatealum wrote:
Wed Oct 11, 2023 12:09 pm
I want to hang Championship banners, not attendance banners. Participation trophies are for lesser programs that haven't achieved what we have.
And what exactly have we achieved? Beat a Michigan team 15 years ago? Won a few garbage bowl games? Won the SB 3 or 4 years? Lol, get over yourself. We are a G5 school and more than likely always will be. I love your enthusiasm (honestly do), but we are what we are. When we are successful (Satt and Drinks years) we will lose coaches to P5 schools. With more success we will probably lose players to NIL and P1 schools as well. If you are expecting a 1 or 2 loss season every year, you are setting yourself up for disappointment. Yes, our fans are great (so are ECUs, Coastals, GSO, etc..) but with todays climate (NIL and transfer portal) be happy with a packed house, (usually) a close game, and a heck of a lot of fun. Will we win every game? No, thats the nature of the beast, but we will win more than we will lose.

Not sure what you are expecting, but if is the success of historical programs (Bama, Ohio State, UGA, etc..) that isnt going to happen. Sorry, its just not. Even if we win out, or lose 1 game, what is the best case scenario? Some mid tier /mediocre bowl game with a SB championship? Is becoming the next Cincinnati your goal?

WataugaMan

Unread post by WataugaMan » Wed Oct 11, 2023 12:29 pm

T-Dog wrote:
Wed Oct 11, 2023 12:05 pm
Clark's contract goes through the 2026 season. He got that extension in December 2021.
I wasn't aware of that, DG screwed the pooch big time on that deal!

appstatealum

Unread post by appstatealum » Wed Oct 11, 2023 12:31 pm

pop5app wrote:
Wed Oct 11, 2023 12:19 pm
WataugaMan wrote:
Wed Oct 11, 2023 11:16 am
pop5app wrote:
Wed Oct 11, 2023 9:55 am
I will offer a possible suggestion. Give SC a one year extension which takes the recruiting issue off the table temporarily. We can then see if 2024 is “the year” as some have promised. With understanding that we must win 9 games or the contract is discontinued with no buy-out. We save 1 mil, & we will have given one of our own a fair shake. Just a thought.
SC's current contract doesn't expire until the end of season 2024, therefore, an extension is not needed.

I guess I didn’t explain my thought as good as I needed. Extend SC thru 25.(THE year) With no buyout , if he doesn’t preform in 24. He can recruit this year with confidence that he has an extension and other teams can’t beat him/us over the head with the “ lame duck” recruiting line. Save the million $ buyout and in my opinion we will have given him as fair a shake as possible. Even though recruits may not care, other coaches will Use it .After all he is an APP guy.
Coaching longevity doesn't matter at this level. These recruits want to come to a notable brand with TV/Media presence and hope to be noticed via winning. Their loyalty is as thick as single ply toilet paper.
The Appalachian State

appstatealum

Unread post by appstatealum » Wed Oct 11, 2023 12:38 pm

1997CLT wrote:
Wed Oct 11, 2023 12:28 pm
appstatealum wrote:
I want to hang Championship banners, not attendance banners. Participation trophies are for lesser programs that haven't achieved what we have.
And what exactly have we achieved? Beat a Michigan team 15 years ago? Won a few garbage bowl games? Won the SB 3 or 4 years? Lol, get over yourself. We are a G5 school and more than likely always will be. I love your enthusiasm (honestly do), but we are what we are. When we are successful (Satt and Drinks years) we will lose coaches to P5 schools. With more success we will probably lose players to NIL and P1 schools as well. If you are expecting a 1 or 2 loss season every year, you are setting yourself up for disappointment. Yes, our fans are great (so are ECUs, Coastals, GSO, etc..) but with todays climate (NIL and transfer portal) be happy with a packed house, (usually) a close game, and a heck of a lot of fun. Will we win every game? No, thats the nature of the beast, but we will win more than we will lose.

Not sure what you are expecting, but if is the success of historical programs (Bama, Ohio State, UGA, etc..) that isnt going to happen. Sorry, its just not. Even if we win out, or lose 1 game, what is the best case scenario? Some mid tier /mediocre bowl game with a SB championship? Is becoming the next Cincinnati your goal?
Know your history better young buck. App State is a national brand, I travel alot and sport my App gear getting comments almost every time. We did more at the FCS level than anyone before us and then capitalized on that with notable momentum as a new FBS program. We've been well respected by media and programs throughout our time in FBS. That momentum is coming to a screeching halt. Boise was a fun story after their bowl win years ago, but App has maintained a reputation since Michigan as a feared opponent. We are in ESPNs main CFB promo commercial for God's sake. Our uniforms and helmets are always on talk shows etc. The brand is legit and has only regressed under Clark because of his inability to sustain momentum and have consecutive wins. TxAM and Gameday was a situation he should've grabbed by the balls and squeezed a legendary profile from and he whiffed. If we make a strategic move now, we could launch the next great young HC who takes us to an NY6, gets poached and gets our name mentioned for years in big P5 games. Wise up son before you bring shallow and uneducated comments my way
The Appalachian State

hapapp

Unread post by hapapp » Wed Oct 11, 2023 12:39 pm

Rekdiver wrote:
Wed Oct 11, 2023 7:45 am
First: our students (absent some of the profanity) really show up for games.
Second: on a work night thousands of us traveled from Piedmont cities to the game

The home side looked about 80% filled but Miller Hill was jammed. It was an impressive sight for a Tuesday night.

Few if any great programs go season after season without a decline. I will stick with my team and continue my level of fan and financial support. I hope all of you do as well.
No doubt we have outstanding student support and they can make for an electric atmosphere. I know I'm from a different era but I just don't get the booing of the opposition team as they take the field. And frankly, I was embarrassed by the reaction of a number of folks on the Hill at game's end. The Coastal players showed a lack of class by returning the taunts they got all game but throwing debris at the players as they entered the tunnel at games end was pretty classless. Given that display, we have no room to talk about the students/fans of other schools.

AppinVA

Unread post by AppinVA » Wed Oct 11, 2023 12:44 pm

Bigdaddyg1 wrote:
Wed Oct 11, 2023 12:26 pm
If what I've read is accurate we should be very good next year, based on who we will return. If coach is replaced and some hot young coach comes in and goes 10-2 he's gone. How does all that upheaval affect recruiting? Then we are looking for another coach and trying to keep prospects. If we want to be Texas State and just fill half the roster with portal players then so be it.
You know what REALLY negatively affects recruiting? Losing.
"Some people call me hillbilly. Some people call me mountain man. You can call me Appalachian. Appalachian's what I am."-- Del McCoury Band

appstatealum

Unread post by appstatealum » Wed Oct 11, 2023 12:45 pm

AppinVA wrote:
Wed Oct 11, 2023 12:44 pm
Bigdaddyg1 wrote:
Wed Oct 11, 2023 12:26 pm
You know what REALLY negatively affects recruiting? Losing.
But atleast you could be losing under the same coach
The Appalachian State

yosef95

Unread post by yosef95 » Wed Oct 11, 2023 12:49 pm

Was I the only one that knew dude was gonna get it stripped on that next to last App possession? Baffled that college & Nfl players dont realize tacklers are coming to punch the ball out, every time. Still think cc guy's feet were out of bounds

1997CLT

Unread post by 1997CLT » Wed Oct 11, 2023 12:59 pm

appstatealum wrote:
Wed Oct 11, 2023 12:38 pm
1997CLT wrote:
appstatealum wrote:

Know your history better young buck. App State is a national brand, I travel alot and sport my App gear getting comments almost every time. We did more at the FCS level than anyone before us and then capitalized on that with notable momentum as a new FBS program. We've been well respected by media and programs throughout our time in FBS. That momentum is coming to a screeching halt. Boise was a fun story after their bowl win years ago, but App has maintained a reputation since Michigan as a feared opponent. We are in ESPNs main CFB promo commercial for God's sake. Our uniforms and helmets are always on talk shows etc. The brand is legit and has only regressed under Clark because of his inability to sustain momentum and have consecutive wins. TxAM and Gameday was a situation he should've grabbed by the balls and squeezed a legendary profile from and he whiffed. If we make a strategic move now, we could launch the next great young HC who takes us to an NY6, gets poached and gets our name mentioned for years in big P5 games. Wise up son before you bring shallow and uneducated comments my way
So youre more concerned with the brand?

Coming to a screeching halt? WHAT? You just said we are featured on the CFB promo, hosted game day, helmets on talk shows... but its coming to a halt? What and how exactly is it coming to a halt? Sounds like you can see into the future on what YOU perceive to happen.

Out of curiosity, what did he not do on game day that you expected? Blown out Troy? If anything, the "brand" obtained more recognition with the hail mary.

I am far from a SC apologist but if you or anyone else thinks we are buying out Clark for 1M is sadly mistaken. Our enrollment, and football attendance and ticket sales is at an all time high, yoself funding is as well. Dont forget the University is coin operated and we certainly arent buying out a coach for a 6-6 season and whatever this season ends up. Hell, even if we dont win another game this year, Clark will be on this sidelines next year.

For the record, I often wore my App quarter zip when I travelled to Michigan (albeit Detroit) every week for a year but 50% of the comments I heard were "Is that an Army jacket". Take that for what you will, but dont talk to me about repping App outside of your house. I have and wear plenty.

Also, not sure about your thinly veiled "young buck" and "son" comments, but I turn 50 this weekend (yes Im old AF), graduated in 1997 when Satt was QB and have been to countless home and away games. Say and think what you want, but to infer I am uneducated about all things App, shallow, blah blah ad nauseum is incorrect and only displays your false bravado you have shown in countless other threads.

311neers

Unread post by 311neers » Wed Oct 11, 2023 1:06 pm

Are our recruits and players more tied to Shawn or the guys recruiting them....Ponce, Watts, Cabral...etc. If Clark left, would players leave because their ties to him? Or are most our guys coming to App because of position coaches?

appstate24

Unread post by appstate24 » Wed Oct 11, 2023 1:36 pm

hapapp wrote:
Wed Oct 11, 2023 12:39 pm
Rekdiver wrote:
Second: on a work night thousands of us traveled from Piedmont cities to the game

The home side looked about 80% filled but Miller Hill was jammed. It was an impressive sight for a Tuesday night.

Few if any great programs go season after season without a decline. I will stick with my team and continue my level of fan and financial support. I hope all of you do as well.
No doubt we have outstanding student support and they can make for an electric atmosphere. I know I'm from a different era but I just don't get the booing of the opposition team as they take the field. And frankly, I was embarrassed by the reaction of a number of folks on the Hill at game's end. The Coastal players showed a lack of class by returning the taunts they got all game but throwing debris at the players as they entered the tunnel at games end was pretty classless. Given that display, we have no room to talk about the students/fans of other schools.
I’m with you on the throwing stuff. But for the life of me I have NEVER understood why someone has a problem with fans booing the other team.

It truly blows my mind every time I hear someone upset that our fans booed the other team?

GO APPS!!

appstatealum

Unread post by appstatealum » Wed Oct 11, 2023 1:42 pm

1997CLT wrote:
Wed Oct 11, 2023 12:59 pm
appstatealum wrote:
Wed Oct 11, 2023 12:38 pm
1997CLT wrote:
appstatealum wrote:

So youre more concerned with the brand?

Coming to a screeching halt? WHAT? You just said we are featured on the CFB promo, hosted game day, helmets on talk shows... but its coming to a halt? What and how exactly is it coming to a halt? Sounds like you can see into the future on what YOU perceive to happen.

Out of curiosity, what did he not do on game day that you expected? Blown out Troy? If anything, the "brand" obtained more recognition with the hail mary.

I am far from a SC apologist but if you or anyone else thinks we are buying out Clark for 1M is sadly mistaken. Our enrollment, and football attendance and ticket sales is at an all time high, yoself funding is as well. Dont forget the University is coin operated and we certainly arent buying out a coach for a 6-6 season and whatever this season ends up. Hell, even if we dont win another game this year, Clark will be on this sidelines next year.

For the record, I often wore my App quarter zip when I travelled to Michigan (albeit Detroit) every week for a year but 50% of the comments I heard were "Is that an Army jacket". Take that for what you will, but dont talk to me about repping App outside of your house. I have and wear plenty.

Also, not sure about your thinly veiled "young buck" and "son" comments, but I turn 50 this weekend (yes Im old AF), graduated in 1997 when Satt was QB and have been to countless home and away games. Say and think what you want, but to infer I am uneducated about all things App, shallow, blah blah ad nauseum is incorrect and only displays your false bravado you have shown in countless other threads.
Strong takes for someone who just joined the cabin (the young buck reference is to contributions, not age) and ill reiterate, again, you sound like a casual when you make assumptions about what DG will and will not do. I have an intimate knowledge of how back.of house things work for CFB programs and, while it would sting, 1 mil isn't sh*t to spend to save a sinking ship. For reference, a "sell out game" even at $50 per ticket is $1.7m in revenue. Our average ticket price per attendee plus concessions (self op) would be quite a bit larger. Fans/alumni still have relative excitement, but that is not where it used to be. If you've been following App since 1994, then you know what can happen when you are consistently not winning vs consistently winning.

And yes, The Brand matters. It almost matters too much nowadays. I can't say this enough- we are dealing with a new CFB landscape. If you don't think brand matters, just look at University of Colorado.
The Appalachian State

hapapp

Unread post by hapapp » Wed Oct 11, 2023 2:12 pm

appstate24 wrote:
Wed Oct 11, 2023 1:36 pm
hapapp wrote:
Rekdiver wrote:

I’m with you on the throwing stuff. But for the life of me I have NEVER understood why someone has a problem with fans booing the other team.

It truly blows my mind every time I hear someone upset that our fans booed the other team?

GO APPS!!
Just seems childish to me and seems to do more to motivate the opposition than to intimidate them. Like I said, I'm from a different generation than those doing the booing.

AppInDC

Unread post by AppInDC » Wed Oct 11, 2023 2:19 pm

appstate24 wrote:
hapapp wrote:
Rekdiver wrote:

GO APPS!!
I boo opposition of every game I go to in any sport when they come out. It's not done with malice and I am often smiling and laughing when I do it. It's done partly in jest but to also let them know they are on another team's turf. If they want to use it as motivation, they're welcome to. I want to see both sides giving it their all.

appstatealum

Unread post by appstatealum » Wed Oct 11, 2023 2:24 pm

AppInDC wrote:
Wed Oct 11, 2023 2:19 pm
appstate24 wrote:
hapapp wrote:
Rekdiver wrote:

GO APPS!!
I boo opposition of every game I go to in any sport when they come out. It's not done with malice and I am often smiling and laughing when I do it. It's done partly in jest but to also let them know they are on another team's turf. If they want to use it as motivation, they're welcome to. I want to see both sides giving it their all.
Yeah, when did booing become such a hateful thing? It reminds me of the Curb your Enthusiasm episode regarding honking the horn at a car not moving in front of you- aggressive honking.
The Appalachian State

BambooRdApp

Unread post by BambooRdApp » Wed Oct 11, 2023 2:51 pm

appstatealum wrote:
Wed Oct 11, 2023 2:24 pm
AppInDC wrote:
Wed Oct 11, 2023 2:19 pm
appstate24 wrote:
hapapp wrote:
Rekdiver wrote:

GO APPS!!
Yeah, when did booing become such a hateful thing? It reminds me of the Curb your Enthusiasm episode regarding honking the horn at a car not moving in front of you- aggressive honking.
We are living in a world where everyone gets a trophy. No booing allowed. The students did well in booing coastal coming onto the field last night
Today I Give My All For Appalachian State!!
#FreeMillerHillForMoMoney!!
#SleeveStripesWereTheBomb!!
#99ForPresident!!

thechancellorsnewgroove

Unread post by thechancellorsnewgroove » Wed Oct 11, 2023 2:55 pm

hapapp wrote:
Rekdiver wrote:

I wish it was just the Hill. Two half full tall boys came flying over my head from about three rows back and landed over by the Gatorade cart as equipment staff and players were cleaning up. Disgusting behavior.

Yosefus

Unread post by Yosefus » Wed Oct 11, 2023 3:01 pm

biggie wrote:
Wed Oct 11, 2023 9:20 am
Can’t see the students continuing the large turnout without wins though. Guess we’ll see.
It will go back to how it was in the 80's with Working, Brown and Woods tenure. Good student turn out. Mediocre game and they would leave at halftime to go get trashed unless it was a competitive game. No passion just there because it was free and a party.
The big tell will be less season tickets purchased and empty seats outside the student section from the start of the game and folks hauling ass back down the mountain after halftime.
I was an App fan then and now but we are going to lose the casual fans and students after graduation that would continue to support and attend.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Appalachian Football”