Here is the link to the fall sports streaming schedule.

https://appstatesports.com/news/2023/8/ ... edule.aspx

#TeamClark

bcoach
School: Appalachian State

Re: #TeamClark

Unread post by bcoach » Wed Nov 29, 2023 5:41 pm

Some would say turaround when in fact it is really progression. Just a thought.

goapps93

Unread post by goapps93 » Wed Nov 29, 2023 6:19 pm

WVAPPeer wrote:
Wed Nov 29, 2023 5:28 pm
"I will admit I was on the fire Clark Bandwagon at 3-4 and the horrendous start to the SoMiss game especially."

Why??? - Why would you want to fire a coach mid-season when you can see how things can turn?
Just typical knee-jerking.
WE ARE YOSEF!

AppSt94

Unread post by AppSt94 » Thu Nov 30, 2023 6:39 am

Black Saturday wrote:
Wed Nov 29, 2023 3:43 pm
AppSt94 wrote:
Wed Nov 29, 2023 2:55 pm
Stonewall wrote:
Wed Nov 29, 2023 2:51 pm
My sources say there will have to be consistency in an upward direction.
Serious question. What does that consistent upward trajectory look like? There is a ceiling and I don’t want to get folks salivating but this 2023 team could be scary good next year. Then what?
There's the Boogie Man in the NIL Portal.
Other than Jalen, who did we lose in the portal to a bag a cash? No one. And I’m purposely not counting Troy because that situation was different.

Appslife

Unread post by Appslife » Thu Nov 30, 2023 8:28 am

New motto for future conversations - "not so fast, remember the turnaround!"
Or @remebertheturn

appstatealum

Unread post by appstatealum » Thu Nov 30, 2023 8:28 am

appgrad95&97 wrote:
Wed Nov 29, 2023 2:31 pm
Longrifle28 wrote:
Wed Nov 29, 2023 2:21 pm
appgrad95&97 wrote:
Wed Nov 29, 2023 2:13 pm
bcoach wrote:
Wed Nov 29, 2023 1:58 pm
appgrad95&97 wrote:
Wed Nov 29, 2023 1:47 pm

While the last five games have been great, how much s#!t will I take for pointing out that JMU is the only win this season against an FBS team with a winning record? That's not to take anything away from the turnaround, but if DG gets tricked into another extension...
How do you say you can't stand SC and DG without.............
Facts are a stubborn thing. You might not like it, but JMU is the only win against a winning team. Clark has earned 202, no question in my mind. But he has not, in my opinion, earned an extension.
Sometimes facts also need context. I think Marshall, Georgia State and Georgia Southern had winning records prior to playing us. Also, only 2 teams in our conference have losing records. 12 of 14 teams with 500 or better records. Seems our conference is no cakewalk.
I'm not detracting from those wins. I give full credit for the last five games. Everything looks so much better. I fully acknowledge how much better the conference is now. All I'm saying is that I believe that extending Clark at this point would be a mistake.
Right. I'm not sure I understand the desire to run and give him an extension. What is there to gain from that? The emotional high from stringing together wins is just as bad as the emotional low of losing games and guys calling for Clark's head. Clark has coached his way into getting another year to show he can sustain wins. Regardless of the "single digit" losses against "good teams", they were games we could've and should've won had we been more prepared. Wins later in the season against other teams don't negate that fact. Can we not enjoy where the program seems to be now and the trajectory they seem to be on without planning out Clark Plaza at the east entrance of the Rock?
The Appalachian State

appstatealum

Unread post by appstatealum » Thu Nov 30, 2023 8:33 am

Stonewall wrote:
Wed Nov 29, 2023 2:51 pm
My sources say there will have to be consistency in an upward direction.
Which is the only logical perspective on the whole thing. The amount of lobbying on the other extremes is a bit nauseating.
The Appalachian State

appstatealum

Unread post by appstatealum » Thu Nov 30, 2023 8:43 am

WVAPPeer wrote:
"I will admit I was on the fire Clark Bandwagon at 3-4 and the horrendous start to the SoMiss game especially."

Why??? - Why would you want to fire a coach mid-season when you can see how things can turn?
Because there were glaring issues directly related to coaching that were severely impacting the team. A lot of these issues weren't isolated either, they were patterns of the last few seasons under Clark. We were underperforming and underachieving which is opposite of App State culture. The excuse that "the rest of the Sunbelt is getting better", while true, doesn't excuse that if everybody is getting better, we should be too and should remain at the top of the Belt. Signs over the last few weeks have shown things are starting to click for Clark, and now he's earned another season to showcase what he can be as a coach.
The Appalachian State

gsoappfan

Unread post by gsoappfan » Thu Nov 30, 2023 10:07 am

appstatealum wrote:
Thu Nov 30, 2023 8:43 am
WVAPPeer wrote:

Because there were glaring issues directly related to coaching that were severely impacting the team. A lot of these issues weren't isolated either, they were patterns of the last few seasons under Clark. We were underperforming and underachieving which is opposite of App State culture. The excuse that "the rest of the Sunbelt is getting better", while true, doesn't excuse that if everybody is getting better, we should be too and should remain at the top of the Belt. Signs over the last few weeks have shown things are starting to click for Clark, and now he's earned another season to showcase what he can be as a coach.
In your opinion, what are the things Clark has changed that make you feel better about his coaching now that was not there earlier this season?

AppStFan1

Unread post by AppStFan1 » Thu Nov 30, 2023 10:10 am

appstatealum wrote:
WVAPPeer wrote:

I had doubts for sure but never called for him to be fired during the season. Just too many negative impacts to that and you likely lose Aguilar for sure. I think you and I agreed that the talent was not the issue and we have seen that we were correct in that sense. While I doubted I was still pulling for Clark but Everts still was hoping to fire him and I bet she will still pull that trigger if Shawn does not have a good year next year. I do feel if Shawn can keep Joey and we have a big year next year that he should get a raise and extension.

AppStFan1

Unread post by AppStFan1 » Thu Nov 30, 2023 10:12 am

gsoappfan wrote:
Thu Nov 30, 2023 10:07 am
appstatealum wrote:
WVAPPeer wrote:

In your opinion, what are the things Clark has changed that make you feel better about his coaching now that was not there earlier this season?
You asked him but I will say that the head coach makes the hires and ultimately approves all player acquisitions but I do see better game management and strategy. We saw major changes on defense from the DC and OC. Between the adjustments and the fact players started to click helped. Joey realized that Robinson can be a game-changer. I hope that players like Stroman stay another year because I feel during this off-season we could see 2-3 players have a big year in that area. Robinson going from an after thought to an All-Sun Belt WR in just 5 games says a lot.
Last edited by AppStFan1 on Thu Nov 30, 2023 10:24 am, edited 1 time in total.

RaleighApp27609

Unread post by RaleighApp27609 » Thu Nov 30, 2023 10:18 am

AppStFan1 wrote:
Thu Nov 30, 2023 10:10 am
appstatealum wrote:
WVAPPeer wrote:

"Just too many negative impacts to that and you likely lose Aguilar for sure."
Could you elaborate on this?

appstatealum

Unread post by appstatealum » Thu Nov 30, 2023 10:20 am

gsoappfan wrote:
appstatealum wrote:
WVAPPeer wrote:

#1 (by a mile) is redirecting the offense to pass first thru Joey. Noel started off hot, but it was clear Joey had "it" and our pass could open up the whole offense.

#2 (similar to #1) trusting his players. Defense became more press than soft shell and our blitzing/pressure became effective. Early on the coaches seemed to not trust the players and the conservative approach seemed to have a negative effect on their play (definitely an assumption from my viewpoint, but based on my coaching experience and some discussions with "pro" friends)

#3 (continuation of #2) not playing scared. Better game management of when to take chances and when to not. Seemingly gained that invaluable coaching quality of "having your finger on the pulse of your team" to be able to know when to pivot from.gamescript and strategy. This is one of the biggest struggles I think he dealt with for his first few seasons.

Those are top 3 broad level things. I can detail other things, but they are more in line with these three. To be fair, apart from this board, I've been more critical of Ponce and didn't like bringing him back. I felt he vastly underperformed with his last personnel group before departing to Miami. Even Ponce has redeemed himself with his management of Joey. His play calling has seemed more fluid and "understandable" considering personnel.
The Appalachian State

appstatealum

Unread post by appstatealum » Thu Nov 30, 2023 10:24 am

AppStFan1 wrote:
Thu Nov 30, 2023 10:12 am
gsoappfan wrote:
appstatealum wrote:
WVAPPeer wrote:

You asked him but I will say that the head coach makes the hires and ultimately approves all player acquisitions. I would imagine he was more holding the man in charge accountable but I personally believe that the changes came from OC and DC. We made a lot of adjustments in general and I think some players started to click. Joey took a while but found his go-to target and I hope that players like Stroman stay another year because I feel during this off-season we could see 2-3 players have a big year in that area. Robinson going from an after thought to an All-Sun Belt WR in just 5 games says a lot.
Very fair. I could easily blame the OC/DC, but it's the coaches job to manage their gamescripts. I've never deviated from saying that I love Clark as a man, having met him many times and even had the pleasure to talk.X and Os with him briefly years ago. Guy is first class. But outside of what has actually ended up occurring, I was 99% behind releasing him after the season. I'd expect nothing different had it been myself in his position, especially us both bleeding black and gold.
The Appalachian State

AppStFan1

Unread post by AppStFan1 » Thu Nov 30, 2023 10:26 am

RaleighApp27609 wrote:
Thu Nov 30, 2023 10:18 am
AppStFan1 wrote:
Thu Nov 30, 2023 10:10 am
appstatealum wrote:
WVAPPeer wrote:

"Just too many negative impacts to that and you likely lose Aguilar for sure."
Could you elaborate on this?
Buyout would have been larger to do it during the season. Players can immediately enter the portal instead of having to wait. A lot of players are loyal to Clark and would have gone for sure. You also have a huge transition while preparing for games and a lot of other things. You only fire during the season when it is a dumpster fire. If we were losing by 30+ every week and were 1-6 then sure you make a change but things were too close. Change a couple players here and there and we could have been 7-0 to start. You also don't want to be like the Panthers and make changes too fast. Everts wanted Clark out but even she knew the financial impact was too much to make the move. You at least wait and let the buyout drop.

AppStFan1

Unread post by AppStFan1 » Thu Nov 30, 2023 10:30 am

appstatealum wrote:
Thu Nov 30, 2023 10:24 am
AppStFan1 wrote:
Thu Nov 30, 2023 10:12 am
gsoappfan wrote:
appstatealum wrote:
WVAPPeer wrote:

You asked him but I will say that the head coach makes the hires and ultimately approves all player acquisitions. I would imagine he was more holding the man in charge accountable but I personally believe that the changes came from OC and DC. We made a lot of adjustments in general and I think some players started to click. Joey took a while but found his go-to target and I hope that players like Stroman stay another year because I feel during this off-season we could see 2-3 players have a big year in that area. Robinson going from an after thought to an All-Sun Belt WR in just 5 games says a lot.
Very fair. I could easily blame the OC/DC, but it's the coaches job to manage their gamescripts. I've never deviated from saying that I love Clark as a man, having met him many times and even had the pleasure to talk.X and Os with him briefly years ago. Guy is first class. But outside of what has actually ended up occurring, I was 99% behind releasing him after the season. I'd expect nothing different had it been myself in his position, especially us both bleeding black and gold.
I can completely understand that feeling. Firing him during the season would have hurt us but even Shawn had to know that people wanted a change if things did not turn around. I am glad it did because Shawn is truly a great man.

RaleighApp27609

Unread post by RaleighApp27609 » Thu Nov 30, 2023 10:30 am

Thanks that makes sense. I wasn't aware of the immediate entry into the portal if a coach is let go in-season.

AppStFan1

Unread post by AppStFan1 » Thu Nov 30, 2023 10:31 am

RaleighApp27609 wrote:
Thu Nov 30, 2023 10:30 am
Thanks that makes sense. I wasn't aware of the immediate entry into the portal if a coach is let go in-season.
No problem.

Here is an article with the rules: https://www.espn.com/college-football/s ... -takeaways

Saint3333

Unread post by Saint3333 » Thu Nov 30, 2023 12:47 pm

People may forget that Clark was never a true coordinator, much less a head coach prior to 2020. The talent gap the first two years shielded some of the "on the job training".

2022 exposed some of those weaknesses and the lack of adjustments were troubling to many.

2023 there was more openness to change after the inconsistent starts by changing the offensive tactics (pass first) and the well documented change in the defensive scheme.

Listening to Clark on the BGP this morning I found it interesting that he learned from Joey's demeanor this year. His mood or presence has changed and this year seems to have become more of a "head coach". Difficult to put into words so likely won't come across well to some.

Quite frankly Clark was put into a role he may not have been 100% ready for, but showed a step change the back half of this year. I'm sure many here have faced similar challenges early in a job/function change, I have twice.

I hope the results continue to be positive and growth continues.

T-Dog

Unread post by T-Dog » Thu Nov 30, 2023 1:03 pm

Part of the the reason, IMO, for the early struggles was something mentioned multiple times: Clark not vibing with Aguilar.

Early on, Clark said Aguilar's laid-back approach drove him nuts because Clark himself wears his emotions on his sleeves and has his stomach in knots hours before a game. That might have had an impact on why Clark chose Burger.

Also, I feel Clark second-guessed himself a lot, even if he doesn't admit it. He got defensive of picking Burger over Aguilar after the first game despite not getting pressed too much by the media about it. Last year he regretted kicking that late field goal versus Troy and didn't attempt another field goal for the next month. Then the four first-half field goals at Wyoming (the first and third ones were mistakes IMO). And then you had the Coastal and ODU losses back to back that led to the defensive change, which almost backfired versus Southern Miss.

Now, he understands his QB and feels more comfortable as head coach. He's got a staff he trusts after some misses. And now he's borderline arrogant, although some of it is deserved and earned.

appstatealum

Unread post by appstatealum » Thu Nov 30, 2023 1:08 pm

Saint3333 and T-Dog summed it up well. Agree 100% with both of you
The Appalachian State

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Appalachian Football”