Here is the link to the fall sports streaming schedule.

https://appstatesports.com/news/2023/8/ ... edule.aspx

Can we fix this

yosef69
School: Appalachian State

Re: Can we fix this

Unread post by yosef69 » Mon Oct 23, 2023 2:09 pm

Bigdaddyg1 wrote:
Mon Oct 23, 2023 2:03 pm
I absolutely don't understand how some on here can make the argument that we have all of this great talent. No matter what anyone thinks about the coach/coaches they put in countless hours practicing and preparing for every game. I have to believe that they put the best available players on the field. We have been in every game and could have won all 6. I don't believe in luck. I believe in statistical probability and I believe that shit happens. At some point the ball has to bounce our way.
One of the best arguments for Clark has been his recruiting. So are you saying he can’t develop them into talent?

Bigdaddyg1

Unread post by Bigdaddyg1 » Mon Oct 23, 2023 2:23 pm

yosef69 wrote:
Mon Oct 23, 2023 2:09 pm
Bigdaddyg1 wrote:
I absolutely don't understand how some on here can make the argument that we have all of this great talent. No matter what anyone thinks about the coach/coaches they put in countless hours practicing and preparing for every game. I have to believe that they put the best available players on the field. We have been in every game and could have won all 6. I don't believe in luck. I believe in statistical probability and I believe that shit happens. At some point the ball has to bounce our way.
One of the best arguments for Clark has been his recruiting. So are you saying he can’t develop them into talent?
Maybe.

AppGrad20

Unread post by AppGrad20 » Mon Oct 23, 2023 2:52 pm

WASU 93 wrote:
Mon Oct 23, 2023 12:06 pm
Bigdaddyg1 wrote:
Mon Oct 23, 2023 10:39 am
I've watched several other teams play and the good ones (especially in our conference) just impose their will. Some have a back that just runs hard downhill. They mix up the offense with legit RPO plays and don't look predictable. This is the second year in a row where we started out with a deep and scary good running back room and by game 6 half or more are injured. We have tight ends who look good and then barely get used. We never run a jet sweep or put fast guys in space. That last drive told a lot. Instead of the predictable run to the left we threw a 9 yarder to Wilson (awesome) then followed that up with a dumb RPO. That was the time to jam one up the middle and move the sticks. Instead we lost 4-5 yards and made a two yard throw on 3rd.

We simply don't impose our will anymore short of that ECU game. We used to fly around the field on defense. I used to think our undersized linebacker group was a deterrent but now I'd take some of those 210 pound dudes who were fast. How many plays of 10+ yards have we allowed this season?
I agree with what you say. What I keep thinking over these last two seasons is how great D'Marco Jackson was (and how much we need a player like him). He stuffed the inside run, made tackles for loss on the perimeter (we were in the top 5/top 10 in the nation in TFL's back then), swallowed up a QB if they tried to escape the pocket and could also drop 15-20 yards off the line of scrimmage and harass the passing lanes or make a key interception.

On their 4th and 10 play, he would have either chased the QB down as he rolled out of the pocket or been helping on the backend ensuring an incomplete pass.

Perhaps a guy like that is irreplaceable at the same level, but that's what we are missing from our LB room and our defense. We used to get teams behind the chains, then love to get them into 3rd and long because something bad was going to happen for them. (I'm not disparaging our players, just point out the difference)

Additionally, we have nothing creative ever going on special teams. How many games did we win with our special teams (the Big House being the biggest) in previous seasons? We had 16 punt returns for a total of 79 years last year. This year we have ONE punt return (Robinson did take it for 23 yards)

We've lost our Mojo/need to get our edge back.
Great analysis. Something that hasn’t been spoken about too often is the impact of losing Jalen McLeod after spring ball to Auburn’s bigger NIL money. Announced he was transferring in late April or early May. Such a versatile player at both LB/DE. Finding and replacing that kind of talent is hard, let alone that late into the transfer portal. There have been multiple situations this year where I’ve thought about the difference in having him, or a player like him (Jackson, Fehr, Davis-Gaither, etc). As you mentioned, 4th & long against ODU, Wyoming’s 75 yard run up the middle, a couple plays at Carolina, etc. Andrew Parker has been playing great, but we’ve been so blessed and accustomed to having major depth in the linebacker room that hold the defense accountable and are that guy. McLeod has been sorely missed. Hoping someone steps up in the next five weeks. If not, we need to hit the transfer portal hard.

Saint3333

Unread post by Saint3333 » Mon Oct 23, 2023 2:57 pm

Bigdaddyg1 wrote:
3-9 in one score games is a lot of poop happening.

Bigdaddyg1

Unread post by Bigdaddyg1 » Mon Oct 23, 2023 3:09 pm

Saint3333 wrote:
Mon Oct 23, 2023 2:57 pm
Bigdaddyg1 wrote:
3-9 in one score games is a lot of poop happening.
It's like when you lose a game at the end because an official's call didn't go your way- don't let the game be close and take it out of their hands. Don't play so many close games. If you get a nice lead in basketball don't let up. A one score lead in football don't go vanilla or ultra conservative. It will bite you in the butt.

Pikapp79

Unread post by Pikapp79 » Mon Oct 23, 2023 4:38 pm

yosef69 wrote:
Bigdaddyg1 wrote:
You have eyes. What do you see?

yosef69

Unread post by yosef69 » Mon Oct 23, 2023 4:45 pm

Pikapp79 wrote:
Mon Oct 23, 2023 4:38 pm
yosef69 wrote:
Bigdaddyg1 wrote:
You have eyes. What do you see?
Basically I was saying the talent issue falls back on the head coach

Stonewall

Unread post by Stonewall » Mon Oct 23, 2023 8:55 pm

We are making too many mistakes to win seemingly. Why? I don't know. I have gone back and watched each game, one of several plays in each of the losses goes our way and it could be a different outcome.Not saying it would have , but it could have.

NoLongerLurking

Unread post by NoLongerLurking » Mon Oct 23, 2023 9:36 pm

Yosef1986 wrote:
Sun Oct 22, 2023 11:26 am
In my opinion - I think all of this can be fixed. Exactly how it will look - I am not sure. Should heads roll? Not sure. It just seems there is something wrong - and we keep creating new ways to come up short on the field. I do believe in App State and it will be fixed. I still believe we are close to turning the corner - however, it would be nice to at least see the light at the end of the tunnel.

I have no opinion on how this should happen - I just want to see movement in a positive direction. The head coach is always in the cross hairs - just like I am a manager of a large scope for my employer - I am always being judged for any and all issues. Sometimes there is not easy or quick solution.

However, there is always a solution.
Seems obtuse to speak of heads rolling about a form of entertainment when heads are literally rolling.

Yosef1986

Unread post by Yosef1986 » Tue Oct 24, 2023 9:23 am

NoLongerLurking wrote:
Mon Oct 23, 2023 9:36 pm
Yosef1986 wrote:
Sun Oct 22, 2023 11:26 am
In my opinion - I think all of this can be fixed. Exactly how it will look - I am not sure. Should heads roll? Not sure. It just seems there is something wrong - and we keep creating new ways to come up short on the field. I do believe in App State and it will be fixed. I still believe we are close to turning the corner - however, it would be nice to at least see the light at the end of the tunnel.

I have no opinion on how this should happen - I just want to see movement in a positive direction. The head coach is always in the cross hairs - just like I am a manager of a large scope for my employer - I am always being judged for any and all issues. Sometimes there is not easy or quick solution.

However, there is always a solution.
Seems obtuse to speak of heads rolling about a form of entertainment when heads are literally rolling.
Was not the intent of the post....

app97

Unread post by app97 » Tue Oct 24, 2023 10:08 am

AppGrad20 wrote:
Mon Oct 23, 2023 2:52 pm
WASU 93 wrote:
Mon Oct 23, 2023 12:06 pm
Bigdaddyg1 wrote:
Mon Oct 23, 2023 10:39 am

Parker has been playing great, but we’ve been so blessed and accustomed to having major depth in the linebacker room that hold the defense accountable and are that guy. McLeod has been sorely missed. Hoping someone steps up in the next five weeks. If not, we need to hit the transfer portal hard.
True freshman Nate Johnson has stepped up. Although 6’5” he’s listed as a OLB. I agree that Parker has been really good, but we don’t seem to have any other “dawgs” outside of Parker at the moment. The Mcleod and Harrington losses were huge. Those left us with a super young group. I still agree that we need help there from the portal. The Scroggs kid from wofford hasn’t been on the field since week one that I know of. Maybe he’s injured, but I haven’t seen a contribution since the INT against GW.

Stonewall

Unread post by Stonewall » Tue Oct 24, 2023 10:21 am

Scroggs didn't play much at Wofford , if he was getting PT here , well....

app97

Unread post by app97 » Tue Oct 24, 2023 10:25 am

Stonewall wrote:
Tue Oct 24, 2023 10:21 am
Scroggs didn't play much at Wofford , if he was getting PT here , well....
He is still #2 on the depth chart behind Parker. I suppose that’s pretty revealing.

MAD Doctor

Unread post by MAD Doctor » Tue Oct 24, 2023 11:42 am

Despite the losses, the offense is playing well enough to at least be a bowl team, if they eliminate the badly timed turnovers.
Special teams have been ok, (minus the one horrible Wyoming play).
The defense has killed us. Against Coastal, I felt that I was closer to their receivers than was our secondary. On 3rd down, if teams need 3 yards, they get 3 yards; if they need 32 yards, they get 32 yards. It is frustrating to watch, and I'm sure it's frustrating to the offense. Our team is snake bit, and although I see them trying really hard, it feels like they are awaiting their impending doom.
The main thing I notice is a lack of confidence or swag. We seem to intimidate no one anymore, not even Gardner-Webb. Certainly not a Coastal team that was winless in the conference. They came in and punched us in the mouth and taunted us at our house. I'm not suggesting we play like the punks they are, but good Lord, a little confidence once in a while might result in a different outcome. Did anyone feel the least bit comfortable when we had ODU 4th and 10 in the last 2 minutes? Me either. I guess when one realizes that any average quarterback can become Tom Brady and light us up at will, and that no lead is ever safe, confidence is replaced with timidity.
I hope these things can be fixed soon, because we are certainly in a funk right now.

AppOrange

Unread post by AppOrange » Tue Oct 24, 2023 11:52 am

MAD Doctor wrote:
Tue Oct 24, 2023 11:42 am
Despite the losses, the offense is playing well enough to at least be a bowl team, if they eliminate the badly timed turnovers.
The defense has killed us. Against Coastal, I felt that I was closer to their receivers than was our secondary. On 3rd down, if teams need 3 yards, they get 3 yards; if they need 32 yards, they get 32 yards. It is frustrating to watch, and I'm sure it's frustrating to the offense. Our team is snake bit, and although I see them trying really hard, it feels like they are awaiting their impending doom.
The main thing I notice is a lack of confidence or swag. We seem to intimidate no one anymore, not even Gardner-Webb. Certainly not a Coastal team that was winless in the conference. They came in and punched us in the mouth and taunted us at our house. I'm not suggesting we play like the punks they are, but good Lord, a little confidence once in a while might result in a different outcome. Did anyone feel the least bit comfortable when we had ODU 4th and 10 in the last 2 minutes? Me either. I guess when one realizes that any average quarterback can become Tom Brady and light us up at will, and that no lead is ever safe, confidence is replaced with timidity.
I hope these things can be fixed soon, because we are certainly in a funk right now.
I agree with this completely, only to add it comes down to our inability to play complementary football at any point other than the UNC game. When our D gets us off the field, we cannot score to create separation (ODU a perfect example, so was WYO). When we fall behind due to bad D, we seem to always be able to catch up and score (ULM and CCC). I think this is why so many fans are still optimistic about this team and hold out hope. They have seen us play good D at times, they have seen us move the ball and score, we just refuse to do it consistently over the course of a game.

appstate24

Unread post by appstate24 » Tue Oct 24, 2023 12:12 pm

MAD Doctor wrote:
I agree with this 100%. Sometimes I feel like, we are so close to breaking through, other times the defense punches me in the gut for feeling that way.

On offense we seem to roll down the field until it happens. There’s always the one drive killer, whether it’s a turnover, a missed assignment, an ill timed penalty… Honesty, it’s usually not anything the defense does, it seems its always self inflicted. If we eliminate the uh-oh, or even half of them, our offense is deadly.

On defense, it seems like every time our offense scores, it’s guaranteed we are gonna give up a score. Hard to remember an offensive scoring drive that wasn’t followed by the other team scoring.

That being said, I do think we are close to being a good team, not great, but much better than our record shows. We really need a win this weekend to get some of that confidence back. I also miss the swag that used to roam the sidelines.

I’ll be there Saturday, and every other home game. Come on boys!

GO APPS!!
Last edited by appstate24 on Tue Oct 24, 2023 1:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PhillyApp1

Unread post by PhillyApp1 » Tue Oct 24, 2023 12:23 pm

MAD Doctor wrote:
WOW Mad Doctor...... you see exactly what I see and it hurts..... being loyal App State fans, as we both are, this post is as hard to read as watching it happen on the field..... I have given up on our chances to turn around this season.... ODU,ULM, Gardner Webb showed me that we can NOT impose any WILL on even the lowest of competition.... UNC, Wyoming tell me we can compete but don't have LEADERS on the field to pull out the end of a game..... I am just taking the end of season ride praying for a win or two

So sad but true

njcarr

Unread post by njcarr » Tue Oct 24, 2023 1:39 pm

I haven't checked details on other school records & schedules yet. Are we mathematically out of the championship game. If I remember correctly, there were 2 conference losses after the Michigan game and still went on to win.

I have not given up on us yet. Take away some errors, player injuries, and lack of execution on a few plays - it would be a different feeling for the "fickle fans" that claim to be "supporters. I am a "die-hard fan" and will be in attendance for games as long as I am able. The remainder of the season, as well as 2024 could be a completely different scenario than the last few weeks.

I read several of these posts and will not let the negative ones influence me on how I support a team and coaches that I believe are good.

Go APPS (ASU)!!!!!!!

Black Saturday

Unread post by Black Saturday » Tue Oct 24, 2023 1:42 pm

njcarr wrote:
Tue Oct 24, 2023 1:39 pm
I haven't checked details on other school records & schedules yet. Are we mathematically out of the championship game. If I remember correctly, there were 2 conference losses after the Michigan game and still went on to win.

I have not given up on us yet. Take away some errors, player injuries, and lack of execution on a few plays - it would be a different feeling for the "fickle fans" that claim to be "supporters. I am a "die-hard fan" and will be in attendance for games as long as I am able. The remainder of the season, as well as 2024 could be a completely different scenario than the last few weeks.

I read several of these posts and will not let the negative ones influence me on how I support a team and coaches that I believe are good.

Go APPS (ASU)!!!!!!!
Our goals are still in front of us? :?

https://www.bing.com/search?q=sunbelt+c ... cc=0&ghpl=
BLACK SATURDAY

Yosef84

Unread post by Yosef84 » Tue Oct 24, 2023 1:58 pm

In order to make the championship, we have to win out. Coastal has to lose one more since they have the head to head tie breaker. If JMU gets approved for post season, they have to lose another one (in addition to losing to us) as well

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Appalachian Football”