Here is the link to the fall sports streaming schedule.

https://appstatesports.com/news/2023/8/ ... edule.aspx

ECU message boards

tw521

Re: ECU message boards

Unread post by tw521 » Tue Aug 21, 2012 3:11 pm

I know you're just providing some pre-game smack talk but I do have a serious question for you, since I have talked to many ECU fans who are expecting nothing short of a blowout. Do y'all expect this year's ECU squad to be significantly better than the '09 version or do you feel that App has fallen off a good bit since then? We had a down year in 2011 but then again, so did ECU and unless it has been decided recently, we don't even know who will be starting at QB for ECU in the opener.
ECU fans do exspect, wish or hope to be better this year over the past two losing seasons. Better than 09, many do. Great speed on this team and depth that we have not had in 2-3 seasons for sure. ECU did not play well with the lead in the 09 game for sure, but was the first half just ASU feeling the pains of AE out of the game. It appeared to me that first half ECU owned the line on both sides, second half they played scared and trying not to lose.

ECU has many of the items needed for a good season, experience offensive line, talented defensive line and linebackers. What it does not have is an experieced QB and that can always be doom waiting to happen. While you read that many ECU faithful forsee a comfortable Pirate victory, they know that losing this game with respresent great great problem the following games for sure.

Pirate1991

Unread post by Pirate1991 » Tue Aug 21, 2012 9:27 pm

As an ECU fan and graduate, I look forward to this game as do most of the Pirate Nation. None of us look past ASU. When in college, I would go to the NCSU games and they always looked down on us (1980's through today) and I put the chip on my shoulder for that reason. ASU carries that same chip where ever they go and therefore, I respect that. I have always pulled for ASU and we welcome all fans coming to Greenville for the game day experience. Hopefully win or lose, it will be a great experience for your fan base and best of luck to your team during the season.

We don't look past our next game towards the Gamecocks. Especially with some uncertainty at QB and ASU trying to prove a point.

See you soon and Go Pirates and Go Mountaineers!

Piratesrock

Unread post by Piratesrock » Tue Aug 21, 2012 9:32 pm

moonshine wrote:Bulletin board material from their fans:

-This will be over by halftime.
-We’re (Pirates) in a completely different league.
-They’re (App) not as good this year as last year.
-They’re (App) a pretty good 5A high school.
-No faith, we could line up and play them anywhere.
-We have more quality players than they do.
-We are more athletic, faster, bigger and stronger than App. I wouldn’t have said last year that App would be an easy win at all, but this year...I expect a dominating performance.
-We weren’t actually close to them physically. We dominated that game in the first half and clearly were the more talented team.
-There is much bigger gap between ECU-App than ECU-USC.
-This will be like App’s game against VT last year when they lost by 53.
-App scored 10 TD’s in their scrimmage…but remember that was against a defense much inferior than ours (Pirates). We will win this one pretty good.
-We (ECU) should win this game easily and that is what I expect considering the opponent.
-We (ECU) should dominate them upfront.
-We (ECU) are superior to App in every way possible…it should be a beating!
-Appy will have the sore ride home.
-App flat out doesn't have the caliber S&C coach that we have, or the caliber of athlete we have... they won't be able to handle the humidity in Greenville as well as our boys can.

Can someone please pass this along to the coaches and players?
You're being ridiculous. You must have made up 99% of this silly stuff. Who in God's name would say "They won't be able to handle the humidity?"
I promise you the Pirates are not taking you lightly.

GlassOnion

Unread post by GlassOnion » Tue Aug 21, 2012 10:04 pm

Piratesrock wrote: You're being ridiculous. You must have made up 99% of this silly stuff. Who in God's name would say "They won't be able to handle the humidity?"
I believe I saw that on Boneyard Banter actually. Glad you guys made your way over here, been waiting for some good natured game week sparring.

Been seeing some crazy stuff on that board, like some guy saying we're bringing 3,000 fans. Thats slightly low, as our athletic dept took 5,000, and thats not counting the GA tickets bought through ECU. Terry Holland said we brought 7,000 last time. Also some generalizations of our OL/DL size and so on.

Its going to be a great atmosphere for sure, cant wait to get down there. I'll be spending Friday night somewhere outside of Gvegas so I can get to tailgaiting early with some great ECU folks.

MooresvillePirate

Unread post by MooresvillePirate » Wed Aug 22, 2012 9:51 am

Found this post while reading BYB and I find it refreshing and much less abusing than message boards from ignorant UCF or NC State fans. I agree with pirate1991 and piratesrock for what they posted...we are not overlooking or taking ASU lightly. I feel there is great respect from the majority of ECU fans for ASU and what it's accomplished. For the ASU fans who attend the game, I hope your stay in Greenville is pleasant and I'm sure you'll be treated well...except the ECU victory!

moonshine
School: Appalachian State

Unread post by moonshine » Wed Aug 22, 2012 12:06 pm

Piratesrock wrote:You're being ridiculous. You must have made up 99% of this silly stuff. Who in God's name would say "They won't be able to handle the humidity?"
I agree it's ridiculous. I made none of this up, although it may not all be verbatim, it came straight from the BYB. I aslo agree that the Pirates won't be taking App lightly. You have a couple of former App coaches who know the pride our program has and when our guys strap on their helmets and hit the field, the coaches and the fans expect them to give their all.
Picked up via free agency by the High Country All-Stars

AppinVA

Unread post by AppinVA » Wed Aug 22, 2012 12:29 pm

Neither school will take the game lightly. This is for the State Championship. The other four would rather play basketball. Buncha commies.
"Some people call me hillbilly. Some people call me mountain man. You can call me Appalachian. Appalachian's what I am."-- Del McCoury Band

ASUMountaineer

Unread post by ASUMountaineer » Wed Aug 22, 2012 12:43 pm

b0ndsj0ns wrote:
sixtoes9134 wrote:Maybe its just too early, but the ECU message boards don't seem to have much to say about the App game just yet. In 2009, their boards were full of topics, threads, concerns, etc. many of them lurking our boards and talking smack.

I haven't seen much, if any of that so far.

If we are that much under the radar, I like it.
You looking for someone to come over and talk smack? Ok sounds good. You think we don't remember the absolute embarrassment that was almost losing to your little 5A team? Trust me we all do. We know you're going to show up fired up and ready to go, and we're going to be just as fired up to prove that 09 was a fluke. I hope all of you who come have a great time and are treated well, right up until gametime where I hope you are completely miserable and and leave in disgust around the middle of the 3rd quarter.
:lol:

Oh, you were serious... :oops:

I have no smack talk, there's nothing I can do to affect the outcome of the game. So, the guys in black and gold will have to provide all of the smack. We shall see if they're capable.
Poster formerly known as AppState03 (MMB) and currently known as ASUMountaineer everywhere else.

Rekdiver

Unread post by Rekdiver » Wed Aug 22, 2012 1:02 pm

Okay so why don't they go out and party all night, smoke some canabis like Michingan did?
I understand the arrogance of UM but ECU? Ruffin is a great guy for an assistant but he ain't no head coach and will be gone after a 6-6 year.

Kyle76

Unread post by Kyle76 » Wed Aug 22, 2012 1:34 pm

Rekdiver wrote:Okay so why don't they go out and party all night, smoke some canabis like Michingan did?
I understand the arrogance of UM but ECU? Ruffin is a great guy for an assistant but he ain't no head coach and will be gone after a 6-6 year.
Are you serious or just talking smack? Kind of harsh, don't you think? The jury is still out on Ruff, but this is a big year for his future. I think he gets four minimum, but 6-6 definitely puts him on the hotseat for 2013. Ruff is learning how to be a HC, and I feel pretty good about what we have going into 2012. We may finish 6-6, but I'm fairly certain about starting 1-0.

ASUMountaineer

Unread post by ASUMountaineer » Wed Aug 22, 2012 2:08 pm

Kyle76 wrote:
Rekdiver wrote:Okay so why don't they go out and party all night, smoke some canabis like Michingan did?
Are you serious or just talking smack? Kind of harsh, don't you think? The jury is still out on Ruff, but this is a big year for his future. I think he gets four minimum, but 6-6 definitely puts him on the hotseat for 2013. Ruff is learning how to be a HC, and I feel pretty good about what we have going into 2012. We may finish 6-6, but I'm fairly certain about starting 1-0.
Would it be shocking if Rekdiver was just as certain?
Poster formerly known as AppState03 (MMB) and currently known as ASUMountaineer everywhere else.

Kyle76

Unread post by Kyle76 » Wed Aug 22, 2012 2:15 pm

Regarding the outcome of the game? Not to me. I'm not sure how he can be certain Ruff isn't head coach material, though.

Rekdiver

Unread post by Rekdiver » Wed Aug 22, 2012 4:01 pm

Skipper was an outstanding HC and one that could make ECU revelant but ECU suffers from coaching stepping stoneitis. ( Believe me we know how it feels too, Mack Brown and Sparky Woods and Bobby Cremmins ) Ruffin just isn't HC material. Great guy, well liked by players but just won't be able to deliver the number of wins that ECU fans dream of...every year. Maybe harsh by a year or two...

fjblair

Unread post by fjblair » Wed Aug 22, 2012 6:07 pm

moonshine wrote:Bulletin board material from their fans:

-This will be over by halftime.
-We’re (Pirates) in a completely different league.
-They’re (App) not as good this year as last year.
-They’re (App) a pretty good 5A high school.
-No faith, we could line up and play them anywhere.
-We have more quality players than they do.
-We are more athletic, faster, bigger and stronger than App. I wouldn’t have said last year that App would be an easy win at all, but this year...I expect a dominating performance.
-We weren’t actually close to them physically. We dominated that game in the first half and clearly were the more talented team.
-There is much bigger gap between ECU-App than ECU-USC.
-This will be like App’s game against VT last year when they lost by 53.
-App scored 10 TD’s in their scrimmage…but remember that was against a defense much inferior than ours (Pirates). We will win this one pretty good.
-We (ECU) should win this game easily and that is what I expect considering the opponent.
-We (ECU) should dominate them upfront.
-We (ECU) are superior to App in every way possible…it should be a beating!
-Appy will have the sore ride home.
-App flat out doesn't have the caliber S&C coach that we have, or the caliber of athlete we have... they won't be able to handle the humidity in Greenville as well as our boys can.

Can someone please pass this along to the coaches and players?

I would expect nothing less from any FBS team we play. We have to earn the respect again. ECU should be a little weary based on the last time we played them but we have performed very poorly against FBS opponents the last couple of years.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Appalachian Football”