Here is the link to the fall sports streaming schedule.

https://appstatesports.com/news/2023/8/ ... edule.aspx

Time to eat

t4pizza
School: Appalachian State

Re: Time to eat

Unread post by t4pizza » Sat Nov 18, 2023 10:18 pm

I said it a few weeks ago and firmly believe it. We turned the corner and are going to win out. So long as JUM beats CCU and the courts don't let JMU in (I don't think they will) then we finish 10-4, if we don't play for the Belt we finish 9-4. The team has come together and learned how to win. We made enough mistakes today to lose, but we are playing good enough to overcome them now. Earlier in the season, we weren't and lost games like this. The coaching staff, players and everyone involved in the team deserve a ton of credit for the buy in and hard work to turn the season around. Lots of teams lose games and go into a tailspin, we didn't do that at all and now we have a 4 game win streak with a chance at a title.

appbio91

Unread post by appbio91 » Sat Nov 18, 2023 11:31 pm

MrCraig wrote:
Sat Nov 18, 2023 7:52 pm
Pikapp79 wrote:
Sat Nov 18, 2023 6:43 pm
Stays next year expect the same record.
So… pretty good?
Perfect use of sarcasm, not everyone appreciates this but I do!

appbio91

Unread post by appbio91 » Sat Nov 18, 2023 11:39 pm

t4pizza wrote:
Sat Nov 18, 2023 10:18 pm
I said it a few weeks ago and firmly believe it. We turned the corner and are going to win out. So long as JUM beats CCU and the courts don't let JMU in (I don't think they will) then we finish 10-4, if we don't play for the Belt we finish 9-4. The team has come together and learned how to win. We made enough mistakes today to lose, but we are playing good enough to overcome them now. Earlier in the season, we weren't and lost games like this. The coaching staff, players and everyone involved in the team deserve a ton of credit for the buy in and hard work to turn the season around. Lots of teams lose games and go into a tailspin, we didn't do that at all and now we have a 4 game win streak with a chance at a title.
I saw it in 4th QTR against So Miss, people were flying around on D like I hadn’t seen. I ain’t no genius but I told my wife, we look better all of sudden, something clicked in that game

MrCraig

Unread post by MrCraig » Sun Nov 19, 2023 7:35 am

Pikapp79 wrote:
Sat Nov 18, 2023 8:54 pm
MrCraig wrote:
Sat Nov 18, 2023 8:42 pm
NattyBumppo'sRevenge wrote:
Sat Nov 18, 2023 8:08 pm
MrCraig wrote:
Sat Nov 18, 2023 7:52 pm
Pikapp79 wrote:
So… pretty good?
There is a chance to go 10-4. It’s a tough road, but it is in front of us!
I mean, if we go 10-4, and someone told me we’d go 10-4 next year with losses to Clemson, Liberty, one of JMU/Marshall/Southern, and either the conference championship or the bowl game… I’d be perfectly happy with that! Sounds like a solid season!
Anything less than conference the Sun Belt Championship or at the very least winning the division is not a solid season. Of course we are where we are for a reason.
Did you just start watching App football in 2019? App had 3 losses in 2005 and won a national championship. The vast majority of season App has between 2-5 losses, and many of those seasons still resulted in conference championships.
As I said, next year App has tough OOC opponents in Clemson and Liberty. Then, the East will be just as strong as this year. If App plays the way they’ve played the last 4 games, I think they can beat about anyone, and that’s realistically the best you can ask for.

BambooRdApp

Unread post by BambooRdApp » Sun Nov 19, 2023 8:27 am

I find it interesting that, at the beginning of the year, SBC East is a beast...now folks trying to discount the wins as this team is down this year. Interesting.
Today I Give My All For Appalachian State!!
#FreeMillerHillForMoMoney!!
#SleeveStripesWereTheBomb!!
#99ForPresident!!

WASU 93

Unread post by WASU 93 » Sun Nov 19, 2023 8:55 am

BambooRdApp wrote:
Sun Nov 19, 2023 8:27 am
I find it interesting that, at the beginning of the year, SBC East is a beast...now folks trying to discount the wins as this team is down this year. Interesting.
If Marshall and ODU win next week, the entire East is Bowl Eligible (except for a 10 win JMU team)

If that happens and LaLa beats hapless ULM, every team in the Sun Belt except for ULM, Sothern Miss and JMU.

kornegaylw

Unread post by kornegaylw » Sun Nov 19, 2023 9:39 am

ggasu wrote:
Sat Nov 18, 2023 10:10 pm
Pikapp79 wrote:
🙄

Got the defense figured out…and have been playing lights out ever since

Fluke loss at Wyoming.

Coastal is the lone bad loss.

ODU was a coin flip before defense change.
Serious question for you.. I agree that Wyoming was a fluke loss but don't see the Coastal loss as "bad" I see it as a flukey loss as well...Had Tucker not fumbled right at the end we run the clock out kick a FG and win.

pop5app

Unread post by pop5app » Sun Nov 19, 2023 9:58 am

Wish we would not run APP fans off , simply because they have a slightly critical view of things. It WAS a GREAT win. I’ve said from the beginning .I’m really pulling for Clark, he’s one of ours, wants to be here AND we can afford him. Perfect situation…. If he can learn to coach……..WELL it appears he’s learning. I personally will not be satisfied with 8-4. That really gets us a minor bowl, year after year. I think our goal should be NY6 or playoff ( if it happens). We should be critical, even in wins.

Bootsy

Unread post by Bootsy » Sun Nov 19, 2023 10:03 am

BambooRdApp wrote:
Sun Nov 19, 2023 8:27 am
It's interesting how many SBC teams get bowl bids each year. With the SBC East being so strong, it would be great to see a bunch of bowl wins and the conference get some kudos.

Can any other G5 argue their conference compares to the SBC? Or even just the SBC East?

On a related note...anybody wonder when a P5 comes knocking and swipes Commissioner Gill away from the SBC? He has handled the conference craziness like a champ, alternating between strategic conference additions...and doing nothing. And the latter is sometimes the most difficult/important thing a good leader can do.

kornegaylw

Unread post by kornegaylw » Sun Nov 19, 2023 10:11 am

pop5app wrote:
Sun Nov 19, 2023 9:58 am
Wish we would not run APP fans off , simply because they have a slightly critical view of things. It WAS a GREAT win. I’ve said from the beginning .I’m really pulling for Clark, he’s one of ours, wants to be here AND we can afford him. Perfect situation…. If he can learn to coach……..WELL it appears he’s learning. I personally will not be satisfied with 8-4. That really gets us a minor bowl, year after year. I think our goal should be NY6 or playoff ( if it happens). We should be critical, even in wins.
I agree that our program should strive to be better than 8-4 every season. I would hate to see us turn into a fan base that thinks 8-4 is grounds for a "hot seat"...Given the programs in the SB East and our preferred non conference schedule 4 losses are likely.

What I would hope our perspective to be is "how did the team compete given the circumstances of the program and how are they developing over the season"...i.e How young/green are the players compared to the competition. We've seen that this year.

Also I think the deck was stacked against us from Wyoming to SoMiss in regards to scheduling & travel...but that's a different discussion

fjblair

Unread post by fjblair » Sun Nov 19, 2023 10:29 am

Eat crow? We're 7-4.

yosef69

Unread post by yosef69 » Sun Nov 19, 2023 10:59 am

fjblair wrote:
Sun Nov 19, 2023 10:29 am
Eat crow? We're 7-4.
Yeah I appreciate the turnaround but I ain’t eating shit

spacemonkey

Unread post by spacemonkey » Sun Nov 19, 2023 1:49 pm

pop5app wrote:
Sun Nov 19, 2023 9:58 am
Wish we would not run APP fans off , simply because they have a slightly critical view of things. It WAS a GREAT win. I’ve said from the beginning .I’m really pulling for Clark, he’s one of ours, wants to be here AND we can afford him. Perfect situation…. If he can learn to coach……..WELL it appears he’s learning. I personally will not be satisfied with 8-4. That really gets us a minor bowl, year after year. I think our goal should be NY6 or playoff ( if it happens). We should be critical, even

I get what you are saying and not trying to argue...just adding my opinion. Be careful what you wish for. ECU fans were saying the same thing and wanted a new coach. Now it looks like many of the fans saying it weren't very big fans.
ATTENDANCE HAS BEEN PRETTY BAD FOR THEM THIS YEAR. I want to play for championships but coaching moves just to make moves can kill a program. I hope we let coach Clark be a CEO and make changes on the staff until we have back to back losing records or he starts having discipline problems. Those are the only ways I would want to make big changes.

What would be the best for App is we give offensive coordinators and defensive coordinator chances and they get it right and move up and Clark stays as long as Moore and we become a place coordinators want to come to prove themselves.....aka Alabama of the G5.

Woodstovegang

Unread post by Woodstovegang » Sun Nov 19, 2023 9:45 pm

And why do you think Ponce is back from U of M. His wife is local media, but he is making a future for his family and wife. She is awesome though. We are seeing the P5 come back to us to move UP to head coaching Positions. Ponce made more at UM than we give him. We are already where you think we should be.

Bootsy

Unread post by Bootsy » Sun Nov 19, 2023 9:56 pm

Speaking of problematic coaching staffs, I’m looking forward to seeing what things look like for App next season with the same coaching staff in place. Between TP, NIL and all the other craziness in college football these days, coaching stability is more critical to success than ever.

AppWyo

Unread post by AppWyo » Sun Nov 19, 2023 10:24 pm

Bootsy wrote:
Sun Nov 19, 2023 9:56 pm
Speaking of problematic coaching staffs, I’m looking forward to seeing what things look like for App next season with the same coaching staff in place. Between TP, NIL and all the other craziness in college football these days, coaching stability is more critical to success than ever.
If you look back to the Jerry Moore years this is what had always saved Appalachian. It would seem that Georgia Southern would figure out how to beat Appalachian and then the coach would leave and App would beat the Eagles again. Then the next coach would figure out how to beat App and then move on to the next job. Having a stable coaching staff is the way to go to build a long-term program.

spacemonkey

Unread post by spacemonkey » Mon Nov 20, 2023 1:46 pm

Woodstovegang wrote:
Sun Nov 19, 2023 9:45 pm
And why do you think Ponce is back from U of M. His wife is local media, but he is making a future for his family and wife. She is awesome though. We are seeing the P5 come back to us to move UP to head coaching Positions. Ponce made more at UM than we give him. We are already where you think we should be.
I guess it is a "chicken or Egg" question. Are we here because of our stable head coaching position that Ponce wanted to be a part of it? If we start firing coaches that are 6-6 are coaches going to want to be a part of it? No doubt we have brand recognition for a successful coach to ride, but do we keep coaches that are 6-6 as a program. I think yes...others seem to think no. I would venture to guess ,with no proof, that most of the ones that are wanting to fire a 6-6 coach won't be around to buy tickets if we were 4-8. No proof...just a hunch.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Appalachian Football”