Here is the link to the fall sports streaming schedule.

https://appstatesports.com/news/2023/8/ ... edule.aspx

SBC Championship Game at Troy discussion

PhillyApp1

Re: SBC Championship Game at Troy discussion

Unread post by PhillyApp1 » Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:21 pm

CoachRob wrote:
Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:17 pm
PhillyApp1 wrote:
Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:05 pm
CoachRob wrote:
Sun Dec 03, 2023 3:59 pm
PhillyApp1 wrote:
Sun Dec 03, 2023 3:53 pm
CoachRob wrote:
Sun Dec 03, 2023 2:46 pm

We've been very successful in the past with an undersized fast defense. What helps keep that undersized defense fresh and fast is: 1) great execution in off-season S&C as mentioned already. 2) A ball control offense that wins the LOS and runs the ball effectively.
Vidal and Troy's defense compliment each other perfectly and part of the reason they are back to back conference Champs. I think our undersized yet fast defense can be every effective with the complimentary offense. However, if we stick with the pass 1st offense, we'll need to build defensive depth to compensate for the increase in possessions and overall plays the defense will have to play.
The difficulty is recruiting the the size/talent lineman that are needed. We will be recruited over by the P5 for those Lineman as there isn't an abundance of them as there are skilled positions. This is why in the past we go undersized as there are lots of talented players that get overlooked (because of their size) and we have been successful recruiting, developing, and winning with those guys.
Troy's coach did it in the same two years we were recruiting????
Hence why getting Greenhalgh was so key.
So next year Greenhalgh will have us as strong as Troy ?
Or will we still be overpowered as we have been recently?
He will help ... a long offseason with graduations, coaching changes, transfer portal, Spring practice, and fall camp to go.
How much patience do you have watching the same thing happen, when other coaches are adapting?

I am running out...... and my nickname to many is Mr. Positive (smh)

I do notice a lot of excuses where other championship teams have the same problems.

goapps93

Unread post by goapps93 » Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:29 pm

Black Saturday wrote:
Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:11 pm
What position does Hopper play if not DL?

We have 2 all conference linemen
He’s undersized at NT. Roster lists him as DE at 6’2”, 255, No idea what he really weighs. I’d like to see him at ILB or DE. He moves really well.
WE ARE YOSEF!

bcoach
School: Appalachian State

Unread post by bcoach » Sun Dec 03, 2023 5:57 pm

If you are going to be small you have to be a lot stronger than we are. Last years S&C set us back. Not the whole problem but certainly an important part.

MrCraig

Unread post by MrCraig » Sun Dec 03, 2023 7:28 pm

PhillyApp1 wrote:
Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:21 pm
CoachRob wrote:
PhillyApp1 wrote:
CoachRob wrote:
PhillyApp1 wrote:

He will help ... a long offseason with graduations, coaching changes, transfer portal, Spring practice, and fall camp to go.
How much patience do you have watching the same thing happen, when other coaches are adapting?

I do notice a lot of excuses where other championship teams have the same problems.
I dunno. S&C has been an issue for a couple years at App. However, in my experience, it’s one of those things that can really turn around in just a season or two. Personal evidence, I’ve worked in high schools where athletic departments have changed S&C programs and it paid off within the next school year.

PhillyApp1

Unread post by PhillyApp1 » Sun Dec 03, 2023 8:03 pm

MrCraig wrote:
Sun Dec 03, 2023 7:28 pm
PhillyApp1 wrote:
CoachRob wrote:
PhillyApp1 wrote:
CoachRob wrote:

I dunno. S&C has been an issue for a couple years at App. However, in my experience, it’s one of those things that can really turn around in just a season or two. Personal evidence, I’ve worked in high schools where athletic departments have changed S&C programs and it paid off within the next school year.
If I am paid well to be a head coach and I want a skinny line.... you better believe I make sure that we have the strongest line in America.

We are 0-2 against the Trench Monsters

Wake up coaches

AppSt94

Unread post by AppSt94 » Sun Dec 03, 2023 8:39 pm

I left the stadium last night with some other App fans. One guy walked into the street and flipped over a traffic cone in front of a cop. Then he felt the need to move a traffic barrier for no other reason than to let out his frustrations in the most juvenile of ways. Then he stood in the middle of an open field and relived himself. If that person is on this board, all I have to say is get some help with dealing with your emotions because adults don’t act like that. Do better.

AppinVA

Unread post by AppinVA » Sun Dec 03, 2023 9:15 pm

AppSt94 wrote:
Sun Dec 03, 2023 8:39 pm
I left the stadium last night with some other App fans. One guy walked into the street and flipped over a traffic cone in front of a cop. Then he felt the need to move a traffic barrier for no other reason than to let out his frustrations in the most juvenile of ways. Then he stood in the middle of an open field and relived himself. If that person is on this board, all I have to say is get some help with dealing with your emotions because adults don’t act like that. Do better.
You don’t know what that cone did to him on the way in.
"Some people call me hillbilly. Some people call me mountain man. You can call me Appalachian. Appalachian's what I am."-- Del McCoury Band

Bigdaddyg1

Unread post by Bigdaddyg1 » Sun Dec 03, 2023 9:26 pm

For those who have turned to bitching about our S&C and guys not being strong enough. Have you not seen the weight room? Do you not think that these guys aren't lifting weights all the time? I'm betting that we have a very good program and that we are getting the max from most players. Sometimes the other dudes might be a bit stronger.

AppSt94

Unread post by AppSt94 » Sun Dec 03, 2023 9:28 pm

AppinVA wrote:
Sun Dec 03, 2023 9:15 pm
AppSt94 wrote:
You don’t know what that cone did to him on the way in.
The cop just looked at him and asked him if he felt better. Lol

CoachRob

Unread post by CoachRob » Sun Dec 03, 2023 10:00 pm

PhillyApp1 wrote:
CoachRob wrote:
PhillyApp1 wrote:
CoachRob wrote:
PhillyApp1 wrote:

What other championship teams get beat at the LOS and still win championships? Please name them.

WVAPPeer
School: Other

Unread post by WVAPPeer » Sun Dec 03, 2023 10:23 pm

OK - agree about the LOS - but how did the SB coaches pick 2 of our APPS to 1st team and another to 2nd team along with our TE
"Montani Semper Liberi"

The Dude Abides!!!

ASUFan4863

Unread post by ASUFan4863 » Mon Dec 04, 2023 6:56 am

AppSt94 wrote:
It was probably the same guy who skipped half the concession line at halftime against Ga Southern. When I called him out on it to learn how to act, he said he was a 50 year old man who was done learning. Age and wisdom do not often go together anymore

AppSt94

Unread post by AppSt94 » Mon Dec 04, 2023 8:13 am

ASUFan4863 wrote:
Mon Dec 04, 2023 6:56 am
AppSt94 wrote:
It was probably the same guy who skipped half the concession line at halftime against Ga Southern. When I called him out on it to learn how to act, he said he was a 50 year old man who was done learning. Age and wisdom do not often go together anymore
Sounds like it. I felt like the situation called for an App on App confrontation but I needed to get back home for basketball. Although I doubt the cop would have cared.

MtnMan14

Unread post by MtnMan14 » Mon Dec 04, 2023 8:18 am

Just my $.02, I don’t necessarily think it’s that we’re weak up front, just small. I just don’t think playing small ball works at this level. D line has gotten much bigger and I think with a good sized NT that can eat a double team we could be good. O line definitely needs work. No matter how strong and well conditioned you are, when you’re giving up 30-50lbs to guys on the other side of the line you’re going to get wore down. It’s not a knock on any of the guys we have. We have a lot of talent. Just need a bit more beef.

moonshine

Unread post by moonshine » Mon Dec 04, 2023 8:30 am

Black Saturday wrote:

I believe Hop is a DE who got moved inside to NT after multiple guys went down for the season. We were thin in the middle of the line due to injuries.
Picked up via free agency by the High Country All-Stars

AppSt94

Re: SBC Championship Game at Troy discussio

Unread post by AppSt94 » Mon Dec 04, 2023 8:35 am

MtnMan14 wrote:
Mon Dec 04, 2023 8:18 am
Just my $.02, I don’t necessarily think it’s that we’re weak up front, just small. I just don’t think playing small ball works at this level. D line has gotten much bigger and I think with a good sized NT that can eat a double team we could be good. O line definitely needs work. No matter how strong and well conditioned you are, when you’re giving up 30-50lbs to guys on the other side of the line you’re going to get wore down. It’s not a knock on any of the guys we have. We have a lot of talent. Just need a bit more beef.
Our top 8 OL averages 301 lbs. I’m not seeing us facing guys that are 320-350 on a routine basis. According to some sites, the average OL starter weighs 309 lbs so we aren’t too far below the average. As for NT, there are two methods of approach. You either create gaps by bulldozing guys out of the way, or you create gaps with quick burst and hand fighting. Ideally, you would like to have a 350 lb mountain that moves like a chicken, but those guys are playing in the SEC.

AppSt94

Unread post by AppSt94 » Mon Dec 04, 2023 8:37 am

moonshine wrote:
Mon Dec 04, 2023 8:30 am
Black Saturday wrote:

I believe Hop is a DE who got moved inside to NT after multiple guys went down for the season. We were thin in the middle of the line due to injuries.
Hopper, Kelly, and Clark, with the occasional reps from DDP held up pretty well. I don’t see Hopper moving back out to DE. He found his calling, albeit, a bit undersized.

Saint3333

Unread post by Saint3333 » Mon Dec 04, 2023 8:52 am

Vidal rushed for 233 yards or 9 ypc and four TDs. Troy didn't throw a pass in the 4th quarter until a very good pass call on 3rd and 1.

Troy's oline got a great push all day on our line and especially in the second half. They knew we knew they were running and it didn't matter. That is where the game was won.

If Hopper can put on a few more pounds and stay quick he can be part of the answer in the middle. Wouldn't mind seeing a NT added in the portal, but that position is harder to fill that way than others.

AppSt94

Unread post by AppSt94 » Mon Dec 04, 2023 8:55 am

Saint3333 wrote:
Mon Dec 04, 2023 8:52 am
Vidal rushed for 233 yards or 9 ypc and four TDs. Troy didn't throw a pass in the 4th quarter until a very good pass call on 3rd and 1.

Troy's oline got a great push all day on our line and especially in the second half. They knew we knew they were running and it didn't matter. That is where the game was won.

If Hopper can put on a few more pounds and stay quick he can be part of the answer in the middle. Wouldn't mind seeing a NT added in the portal, but that position is harder to fill that way than others.
It very much is if not the hardest. Any old DT can’t be a NT and a NT in the portal may not be as valuable as some want him to be.

Stonewall

Unread post by Stonewall » Mon Dec 04, 2023 9:27 am

Goes back to striking out on the recruiting trail along the line. We don’t have championship caliber players in the trenches. Can we win more than we lose where we are ? Probably. Championships? I don’t see it. It has to be priority one. Good lines make for great backs.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Appalachian Football”