Here is the link to the fall sports streaming schedule.

https://appstatesports.com/news/2023/8/ ... edule.aspx

SBC Championship Game at Troy discussion

MrCraig
School: Appalachian State

Re: SBC Championship Game at Troy discussion

Unread post by MrCraig » Mon Dec 04, 2023 9:36 am

Bigdaddyg1 wrote:
Sun Dec 03, 2023 9:26 pm
For those who have turned to bitching about our S&C and guys not being strong enough. Have you not seen the weight room? Do you not think that these guys aren't lifting weights all the time? I'm betting that we have a very good program and that we are getting the max from most players. Sometimes the other dudes might be a bit stronger.
Just because you have a lot of tools and you use them a lot doesn't mean you are a great carpenter. The guys may be lifting a whole bunch, but if the S&C coaches aren't developing programs to be lifting the right amount at the right time and focusing on the right muscle groups, it might not be helping. I don't know too much about Strength and Conditioning, but I know that App looked bigger and stronger this year compared to last year, and I think another off season under the new S&C coach will pay dividends in the future.

PhillyApp1

Unread post by PhillyApp1 » Mon Dec 04, 2023 9:38 am

CoachRob wrote:
Sun Dec 03, 2023 10:00 pm
PhillyApp1 wrote:
Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:21 pm
CoachRob wrote:
Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:17 pm
PhillyApp1 wrote:
Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:05 pm
CoachRob wrote:
Sun Dec 03, 2023 3:59 pm

Hence why getting Greenhalgh was so key.
So next year Greenhalgh will have us as strong as Troy ?
Or will we still be overpowered as we have been recently?
He will help ... a long offseason with graduations, coaching changes, transfer portal, Spring practice, and fall camp to go.
How much patience do you have watching the same thing happen, when other coaches are adapting?

I am running out...... and my nickname to many is Mr. Positive (smh)

I do notice a lot of excuses where other championship teams have the same problems.
What other championship teams get beat at the LOS and still win championships? Please name them.
Coach, it's the fact that we are not adjusting to the fact that we have lost to 2 different Championships because we are light in trenches. So if our goal is to Win Championships because they are still in front of us, WHY are we not adjusting.
First it was UL and Napier found the key to beating us . And now Troy with a new coach in his second year beat us in the Trenches.

Do you think we should go to a 3rd Championship with the same strategy?
Do you think we should keep running up the middle with an undersized Oline?

BeauFoster

Unread post by BeauFoster » Mon Dec 04, 2023 9:39 am

I think our strength and conditioning suffered for a couple years, and it set us back. Coupled with a lack of depth, we were just getting gassed by the end of games at the end of the season. Age and depth could fix the problem, but it’s easier said than done.
Give 'em hell!

MrCraig

Unread post by MrCraig » Mon Dec 04, 2023 9:42 am

PhillyApp1 wrote:
Mon Dec 04, 2023 9:38 am
CoachRob wrote:
PhillyApp1 wrote:
CoachRob wrote:
PhillyApp1 wrote:
Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:05 pm

So next year Greenhalgh will have us as strong as Troy ?
Or will we still be overpowered as we have been recently?
He will help ... a long offseason with graduations, coaching changes, transfer portal, Spring practice, and fall camp to go.
How much patience do you have watching the same thing happen, when other coaches are adapting?

I do notice a lot of excuses where other championship teams have the same problems.
What other championship teams get beat at the LOS and still win championships? Please name them.
Coach, it's the fact that we are not adjusting to the fact that we have lost to 2 different Championships because we are light in trenches. So if our goal is to Win Championships because they are still in front of us, WHY are we not adjusting.
First it was UL and Napier found the key to beating us . And now Troy with a new coach in his second year beat us in the Trenches.

I would consider hiring a new S&C coach an example of adjusting. Do you think Clark & Co. intentionally recruit undersized linemen? Do you think they would turn down Alabama's offensive line to keep what we have? Recruiting elite linemen isn't as easy as shopping at the grocery store. There are only so many +6 foot, +300 lbs. dudes in America, and even fewer in App's recruiting footprint.

PhillyApp1

Unread post by PhillyApp1 » Mon Dec 04, 2023 9:46 am

Ok, I am done posting about it.

2 other conference coaches have done it recently but we haven't. The results speak.

AppStFan1

Unread post by AppStFan1 » Mon Dec 04, 2023 9:53 am

MrCraig wrote:
Mon Dec 04, 2023 9:42 am
PhillyApp1 wrote:
CoachRob wrote:
PhillyApp1 wrote:
CoachRob wrote:

I would consider hiring a new S&C coach an example of adjusting. Do you think Clark & Co. intentionally recruit undersized linemen? Do you think they would turn down Alabama's offensive line to keep what we have? Recruiting elite linemen isn't as easy as shopping at the grocery store. There are only so many +6 foot, +300 lbs. dudes in America, and even fewer in App's recruiting footprint.
Even Clemson took our 6'3, 280 pound OL commit this week shows that P5s sometimes take players they have to develop. Everyone in the Sun Belt has to do it.

AppSt94

Unread post by AppSt94 » Mon Dec 04, 2023 10:00 am

AppStFan1 wrote:
Mon Dec 04, 2023 9:53 am
MrCraig wrote:
PhillyApp1 wrote:
CoachRob wrote:
PhillyApp1 wrote:

Even Clemson took our 6'3, 280 pound OL commit this week shows that P5s sometimes take players they have to develop. Everyone in the Sun Belt has to do it.
Clemson also flipped one of our 2024 OL recruits. (Watson).

311neers

Unread post by 311neers » Mon Dec 04, 2023 10:01 am

MrCraig wrote:
PhillyApp1 wrote:
CoachRob wrote:
PhillyApp1 wrote:
CoachRob wrote:

Actually, yes. We were told by some on this board that we do recruit undersized linemen to fit our zone blocking scheme. They need to be athletic and able to move, thus shorter and lighter. I think we are starting to realize this isn't FCS or 2016 Sun Belt anymore.

311neers

Unread post by 311neers » Mon Dec 04, 2023 10:04 am

AppSt94 wrote:
Mon Dec 04, 2023 10:00 am
AppStFan1 wrote:
MrCraig wrote:
PhillyApp1 wrote:
CoachRob wrote:

Yep, his dad was an All American at Clemson and was associate AD for awhile. Can't beat those odds.

AppStFan1

Unread post by AppStFan1 » Mon Dec 04, 2023 10:05 am

AppSt94 wrote:
AppStFan1 wrote:
MrCraig wrote:
PhillyApp1 wrote:
CoachRob wrote:

That is who I was talking about. He is listed at 6'3 280 and flipped this week. Who else did you think I meant?

WVAPPeer
School: Other

Unread post by WVAPPeer » Mon Dec 04, 2023 10:08 am

Someone please explain to me if we are so bad on the OL why did the other SB coaches vote 2 of our guys to 1st team all-conference and one on 2nd team + our TE ---
"Montani Semper Liberi"

The Dude Abides!!!

AppWyo

Unread post by AppWyo » Mon Dec 04, 2023 10:11 am

311neers wrote:
Mon Dec 04, 2023 10:01 am
MrCraig wrote:
PhillyApp1 wrote:
CoachRob wrote:
PhillyApp1 wrote:

Actually, yes. We were told by some on this board that we do recruit undersized linemen to fit our zone blocking scheme. They need to be athletic and able to move, thus shorter and lighter. I think we are starting to realize this isn't FCS or 2016 Sun Belt anymore.
The biggest change Troy made was moving to the Sun Belt West from the Sun Belt East for the last two seasons. I do not think Troy would have had that kind of success if they were still in the Sun Belt East. Every team from the East is bowl eligible. Troy's only loss was to a team that App beat this year and the only Sun Belt team that they lost to last year was from the East. Remember, it is not who you play, but when you play them.
Last edited by AppWyo on Mon Dec 04, 2023 10:14 am, edited 1 time in total.

Saint3333

Unread post by Saint3333 » Mon Dec 04, 2023 10:12 am

Our line play isn’t bad, but isn’t SBC championship caliber either.

You could see both lines of the line losing in the first quarter and by the fourth they were beating us in the trenches handily. You can deflect with coaches voting for senior leaders of the top teams, but trust your eyes as well.

Saint3333

Unread post by Saint3333 » Mon Dec 04, 2023 10:12 am

AppWyo wrote:
Mon Dec 04, 2023 10:11 am
311neers wrote:
MrCraig wrote:
PhillyApp1 wrote:
CoachRob wrote:

The biggest change Troy made was moving to the Sun Belt West from the Sun Belt East. I do not think Troy would have had that kind of success if they were still in the Sun Belt East. Every team from the East is bowl eligible. Troy's only loss was to a team that App beat this year and the only Sun Belt team that they lost to last year was from the East. Remember, it is not who you play, but when you play them.
Troy got better as the year went on and was the best team we played all year. Hats off to them.

AppSt94

Unread post by AppSt94 » Mon Dec 04, 2023 10:16 am

AppStFan1 wrote:
Mon Dec 04, 2023 10:05 am
AppSt94 wrote:
AppStFan1 wrote:
MrCraig wrote:
PhillyApp1 wrote:

That is who I was talking about. He is listed at 6'3 280 and flipped this week. Who else did you think I meant?
Your post didn’t mention that he was a flip.

AppStFan1

Unread post by AppStFan1 » Mon Dec 04, 2023 10:23 am

WVAPPeer wrote:
Mon Dec 04, 2023 10:08 am
Someone please explain to me if we are so bad on the OL why did the other SB coaches vote 2 of our guys to 1st team all-conference and one on 2nd team + our TE ---
I think the reason some say that is because the group was inconsistent at times and we had a weak area or two but the group overall was not weak. In the game against Troy their OL looked better but we had 3 compared to their 2 on the All-Sun Belt teams.

I am skeptical of putting stock into SBC teams, especially on the OL, because a lot of media vote who only see their team and many are bad with OL voting in general. Example is Nathan Thomas of ULL. He got a Senior Bowl invite and is a projected mid round pick. He was the best in the league but only got HM? Lucky the head coaches get to pick the HM names so his coach got his name honored.

Here is the OL breakdown for the league:

App State
1st team- 2
3rd team- 1

Ark State
1st team- 1
2nd team- 1
HM- 1

CCU
3rd team- 1
HM- 1

Ga State
1st team- 1

Ga Southern
1st team- 1
2nd team-1

JMU
2nd team- 1

Louisiana
3rd team- 1
HM- 1

Monroe
HM- 2

Marshall
3rd team- 1
HM- 2

South Alabama
HM- 1

Texas State
3rd team- 1

Troy
2nd team- 2

AppStFan1

Unread post by AppStFan1 » Mon Dec 04, 2023 10:25 am

AppSt94 wrote:
Mon Dec 04, 2023 10:16 am
AppStFan1 wrote:
AppSt94 wrote:
AppStFan1 wrote:
MrCraig wrote:

I said he was a commit and that they took him. I did not use the word flip but I figured that was implied since he was committed and no longer is like I said.

AppSt94

Unread post by AppSt94 » Mon Dec 04, 2023 10:41 am

AppStFan1 wrote:
Mon Dec 04, 2023 10:25 am
AppSt94 wrote:
Mon Dec 04, 2023 10:16 am
AppStFan1 wrote:
AppSt94 wrote:
AppStFan1 wrote:

I said he was a commit and that they took him. I did not use the word flip but I figured that was implied since he was committed and no longer is like I said.
Most people on here wouldn’t have understood that it was implied. I knew that they flipped one but I don’t keep up with Clemson recruiting so it was a lost implication on me. All good though.

MrCraig

Unread post by MrCraig » Mon Dec 04, 2023 11:32 am

311neers wrote:
MrCraig wrote:
PhillyApp1 wrote:
CoachRob wrote:
PhillyApp1 wrote:

Fair point, I was just pointing out that OBVIOUSLY the coaching staff knows the team needs a good offensive and defensive line. They aren't intentionally recruiting bad players. But sometimes you have injuries, players don't develop how you expect, etc. that creates weak spots.

Longrifle28

Unread post by Longrifle28 » Mon Dec 04, 2023 11:46 am

We were right there through the 3rd quarter. Their score and then the turnover score broke our backs in the 4th. If somehow we had been able to answer the score when they went up 28 to 17 without a turnover td, we might have been able to stay in the game. After that there just wasn't enough time.
"I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy"

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Appalachian Football”