Here is the link to the fall sports streaming schedule.

https://appstatesports.com/news/2023/8/ ... edule.aspx

SBC Championship Game at Troy discussion

Saint3333

Re: SBC Championship Game at Troy discussion

Unread post by Saint3333 » Tue Dec 05, 2023 4:40 pm

I don't mind setting up the pass to the TE running on 3rd and 1 up the middle early in the game. At a critical moment like 4th and 1 in the middle of the field it's more difficult to understand.

Oh well, Troy was the better team with the better lineman, no shame in being second best in the conference this season. We're very close to being able to win it with a couple more pieces.

I know the team is moving on to focus on the bowl game, probably good for the fanbase to do so as well.

Black Saturday
School: Appalachian State

Unread post by Black Saturday » Tue Dec 05, 2023 4:57 pm

Bigdaddyg1 wrote:
Tue Dec 05, 2023 7:32 am
Our defensive front really has overachieved this season. At our level of competition you really can't stop good running teams with 250 pound nose tackles.
That's why I say he will finish his career at APP.
BLACK SATURDAY

AppSt94

Unread post by AppSt94 » Tue Dec 05, 2023 5:22 pm

PhillyApp1 wrote:
Tue Dec 05, 2023 4:21 pm
AppSt94 wrote:
Tue Dec 05, 2023 2:55 pm
Black Saturday wrote:
Tue Dec 05, 2023 6:26 am
AppSt94 wrote:
Tue Dec 05, 2023 6:25 am
Black Saturday wrote:
Tue Dec 05, 2023 6:16 am
Our staff seems to be oblivious to the pertinent success rate statistics of our running game into the strength of our opponents in crucial situations. We can see it, why can't they? How many games have hinged on those decisions. The game at Coastal last year is indelibly etched into my mind late in that game when we ran straight at their defensive tackle who ended up at Michigan this year, who stuffed us twice on 3rd and 4th downs.
Maybe what you see isn’t the correct assumption.
I'm certain you can enlighten me.
My response is to the “We can see it, why can’t they” comment. The comment reads as if to say that you know more than the coaches and they are being either stubborn or not very good. We all love the sport of football. We all want our team to do well. And to some degree, we all understand the basics of the game. But I’ve never assumed that a coach that is a paid professional as an occupation, knows less than me. So instead of saying “we can see it, why can’t they”, try “Wonder why we keep running up the middle or making these play calls. What am I missing? What am I not understanding?”

“Be curious, not judgemental.” - Ted Lasso
To be an ass
I am curious what the F ing answer is seeing the same shit for 2 years.....😁 and failing .... during important times of a game and season..... I AM CURIOUS.
If one coach could answer this question, people want to know.... please

My TV almost got an object thrown at it 😀
I don’t think that your question is unreasonable. But to be an ass, people have provided explanations on this subject many times over but it has been rejected. So I’ll ask this. Would anyone a) ask the question to Clark or Ponce directly, and b) would anyone accept their answer as legitimate?

appbio91

Unread post by appbio91 » Tue Dec 05, 2023 5:24 pm

Saint3333 wrote:
Tue Dec 05, 2023 4:40 pm
I don't mind setting up the pass to the TE running on 3rd and 1 up the middle early in the game. At a critical moment like 4th and 1 in the middle of the field it's more difficult to understand.

Oh well, Troy was the better team with the better lineman, no shame in being second best in the conference this season. We're very close to being able to win it with a couple more pieces.

I know the team is moving on to focus on the bowl game, probably good for the fanbase to do so as well.
I believe the game flipped on the 4th and 1 stop of Castle up the middle. The game started moving at a different speed and all in one direction.

BambooRdApp

Unread post by BambooRdApp » Tue Dec 05, 2023 5:35 pm

appbio91 wrote:
Tue Dec 05, 2023 5:24 pm
Saint3333 wrote:
Tue Dec 05, 2023 4:40 pm

I believe the game flipped on the 4th and 1 stop of Castle up the middle. The game started moving at a different speed and all in one direction.
TE was wide open in the flat if QB keeps it and flips it over to him. Wide open enough to get a first down...but easy to play Monday morning QB when sitting in the stands...It did not help to not convert that is for sure.
Today I Give My All For Appalachian State!!
#FreeMillerHillForMoMoney!!
#SleeveStripesWereTheBomb!!
#99ForPresident!!

gsoappfan

Unread post by gsoappfan » Tue Dec 05, 2023 5:46 pm

AppSt94 wrote:
Tue Dec 05, 2023 5:22 pm
PhillyApp1 wrote:
AppSt94 wrote:
Black Saturday wrote:
AppSt94 wrote:
Tue Dec 05, 2023 6:25 am

Maybe what you see isn’t the correct assumption.
My response is to the “We can see it, why can’t they” comment. The comment reads as if to say that you know more than the coaches and they are being either stubborn or not very good. We all love the sport of football. We all want our team to do well. And to some degree, we all understand the basics of the game. But I’ve never assumed that a coach that is a paid professional as an occupation, knows less than me. So instead of saying “we can see it, why can’t they”, try “Wonder why we keep running up the middle or making these play calls. What am I missing? What am I not understanding?”

To be an ass
I am curious what the F ing answer is seeing the same shit for 2 years.....😁 and failing .... during important times of a game and season..... I AM CURIOUS.

I don’t think that your question is unreasonable. But to be an ass, people have provided explanations on this subject many times over but it has been rejected. So I’ll ask this. Would anyone a) ask the question to Clark or Ponce directly, and b) would anyone accept their answer as legitimate?
I don't have access to Clark or Ponce but I wouldn't have a problem asking either of them the question if I had an opportunity. I'm not going to say "Coach, it really looked like a bone headed call to run up the middle on 4th and 1 with Castle. What the hell were you thinking when you called that play in?"
I would more than likely say something like - "It looked like momentum shifted when we didn't get the 1st down on 4th and 1 with the Castle run up the middle. Can you tell us what you saw that made you feel confident in that specific play call over a throw to a TE that we've had a lot of success with in the past?"
And yes, if the answer is coming directly from Coach, I would definitely take his answer as legitimate.

AppSt94

Unread post by AppSt94 » Tue Dec 05, 2023 6:08 pm

gsoappfan wrote:
Tue Dec 05, 2023 5:46 pm
AppSt94 wrote:
Tue Dec 05, 2023 5:22 pm
PhillyApp1 wrote:
AppSt94 wrote:
Black Saturday wrote:

To be an ass

I don't have access to Clark or Ponce but I wouldn't have a problem asking either of them the question if I had an opportunity. I'm not going to say "Coach, it really looked like a bone headed call to run up the middle on 4th and 1 with Castle. What the hell were you thinking when you called that play in?"
I would more than likely say something like - "It looked like momentum shifted when we didn't get the 1st down on 4th and 1 with the Castle run up the middle. Can you tell us what you saw that made you feel confident in that specific play call over a throw to a TE that we've had a lot of success with in the past?"
And yes, if the answer is coming directly from Coach, I would definitely take his answer as legitimate.
If you phrased it that way, Shawn would 100% answer you. And depending on the situation and surroundings, you might get more than expected.

Thing is, you could get an answer straight from him and there will still be folks on here that will roll their eyes and furl their brow and try to delegitimize it just because. It’s the nature of the message boards.

Saint3333

Unread post by Saint3333 » Tue Dec 05, 2023 7:27 pm

The coaches aren’t right sometimes and if anyone on the board made the calls they’d be right less than they are.

Based on the first 20 minutes of the game, 4th and 1 up the middle did not seem like a high probability play call.

Troy’s line in the first half dominated our dline on run plays.

Stonewall

Unread post by Stonewall » Tue Dec 05, 2023 7:49 pm

Was it RPO ? If so , good call , bad read.

CoachRob

Unread post by CoachRob » Tue Dec 05, 2023 10:06 pm

Any good football coach that believes in his team, believes that his guys can go get 1 yard when it matters most. If a coach doesn't believe that, then the team is already beat. If everyone does their job, you get at least a yard.

With that being said, doesn't mean you have to run inside zone or wedge on every 3/4 & 1. But when you need a yard, it's the automatic go to.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Appalachian Football”