Here is the link to the fall sports streaming schedule.

https://appstatesports.com/news/2023/8/ ... edule.aspx

NCAA Proposing New College Sub-division

MrCraig
School: Appalachian State

Re: NCAA Proposing New College Sub-division

Unread post by MrCraig » Wed Dec 06, 2023 8:10 am

canes_mj wrote:
Tue Dec 05, 2023 7:02 pm
bcoach wrote:
Tue Dec 05, 2023 5:34 pm
This is nothing more than a rial balloon. It is sent up to see if there can be a split and the NCAA can still hold on. In my opinion in the end when the big boys split they will not allow the NCAA be part of it. My best guess is taht it will also be FB only.
Good take...I hadn't thought of the NCAA holding on to its governance aspect. I was just focused on them trying to control the NIL and the players money. I hope you're right.
Honestly, I think this would be the best ending to this. Just let the autonomous 4 conferences go off and make a minor league football division. Then, let everything else continue apace. This might even be better for mid-majors like App State because they will get more attention from folks who prefer old school, "real" college football.
And really, most of the issues in the sport now are caused by the back-and-forth and mutual undermining done between the P5 conferences and the NCAA.

NeersBy90

Unread post by NeersBy90 » Wed Dec 06, 2023 8:15 am

MrCraig wrote:
Wed Dec 06, 2023 8:10 am
canes_mj wrote:
bcoach wrote:
This is nothing more than a rial balloon. It is sent up to see if there can be a split and the NCAA can still hold on. In my opinion in the end when the big boys split they will not allow the NCAA be part of it. My best guess is taht it will also be FB only.
Good take...I hadn't thought of the NCAA holding on to its governance aspect. I was just focused on them trying to control the NIL and the players money. I hope you're right.
Honestly, I think this would be the best ending to this. Just let the autonomous 4 conferences go off and make a minor league football division. Then, let everything else continue apace. This might even be better for mid-majors like App State because they will get more attention from folks who prefer old school, "real" college football.
And really, most of the issues in the sport now are caused by the back-and-forth and mutual undermining done between the P5 conferences and the NCAA.
If they did that, would it eliminate the "money games" that so many small programs depend on to fund their programs? That may be a great move for the "trust fund" programs but it will be damning for the little guys that play this game too.

Bigdaddyg1

Unread post by Bigdaddyg1 » Wed Dec 06, 2023 8:17 am

MrCraig wrote:
canes_mj wrote:
bcoach wrote:
If the big boys do separate and create their own minor league so to speak there will still be half of them who battle to maybe go 6-6 especially if they stop playing any FCS or G5 games.

MrCraig

Unread post by MrCraig » Wed Dec 06, 2023 8:18 am

NeersBy90 wrote:
Wed Dec 06, 2023 8:15 am
MrCraig wrote:
canes_mj wrote:
bcoach wrote:
If they did that, would it eliminate the "money games" that so many small programs depend on to fund their programs? That may be a great move for the "trust fund" programs but it will be damning for the little guys that play this game too.
To an extent, probably. But there will always be some stratification, even if the autonomous programs defect. The money games would just be against the larger G5 schools and the P5s who get left out (Oregon State, et al).

Saint3333

Unread post by Saint3333 » Wed Dec 06, 2023 9:12 am

Bama is why scholarship limits were invented.

Bigdaddyg1

Unread post by Bigdaddyg1 » Wed Dec 06, 2023 9:23 am

Will FCS even survive? Getting $500k-$1m for a beat down every year must absolutely make a difference for many schools financially. I can't see us playing any FCS that isn't within a short bus ride to Boone.

fjblair

Unread post by fjblair » Wed Dec 06, 2023 9:28 am

College football is in a death spiral.
Last edited by fjblair on Wed Dec 06, 2023 2:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

bcoach

Unread post by bcoach » Wed Dec 06, 2023 10:19 am

hapapp wrote:
Wed Dec 06, 2023 6:34 am
spacemonkey wrote:
Wed Dec 06, 2023 12:19 am
hapapp wrote:
Tue Dec 05, 2023 2:55 pm
ericsaid wrote:
Tue Dec 05, 2023 1:53 pm
AtlAppMan wrote:
Tue Dec 05, 2023 12:08 pm
What this describes IMO is clearly a new professional league. They need to call it out and there would never be a fair way for the non-professional NCAA divisions to compete against these teams.

It would be NFL lite against college amateur league. Would make no sense to play those games under this model.

Those teams should leave the NCAA to leave no doubt there is no connection to normal college athletics and this new professional league.
And therein lies the problem.

1. How could the NCAA require paid employees of the University also be students?
2. How could they cap the number of years that an athlete could play? Why couldn't an athlete also become a Professor and continue playing football? Why are they any different from, say, dining hall staff? They don't cap how long someone can work at the dining hall, how can they do that to paid employees playing football?
3. How can they comply with Title IX requirements if the universities are directly involved in payment? Wouldn't they have to pay female athletes just as much as male athletes? That also means pulling revenue from football to fund all other programs and their salaries.
4. Then who is to say those paid employees can be capped, required to go to class, etc?

If they are paid employees, they need not be students. Any requirement dictating that could easily be challenged in court.
This proposal doesn't make them paid employees of the university. It simply allows the university to pay for NIL rather than going thru a collective. It doesn't violate Title IX because half of the athletes receiving the minimum of $30,000 have to be female athletes. As proposed, this doesn't affect their status as students. While the proposal gives the participating schools some autonomy, they are still a part of the NCAA and would have to abide by all other NCAA rules.
This is the part that I think could hurt the rich p4...if they pay their male Football and Basketball players millions they will have to pay their females millions. I don't think the women will settle for men making millions and women making $30,000. They will want equal.
I read an article that it would cost Arkansas nearly $8m to cover half their 400+ athletes. This proposal won't stop the bidding war for top flight talent so schools still will have to shell out far more than the minimum $30,000. So, that's the floor. I think there will be a few P5 schools that will struggle to meet this requirement.
My best guess is they will not have 400 athletes. They will have enough womens athletes to balance out the football number. Mens and womens BB will even out and the rest of the sports are gone.

hapapp

Unread post by hapapp » Wed Dec 06, 2023 11:57 am

Bigdaddyg1 wrote:
Wed Dec 06, 2023 7:35 am
So is a big school going to give that walk on sitting at the end of the bench in football or basketball $30k? This is already crazy but will get completely out of control. There is simply no point to most of this.
Keep in mind they only have to give the money to half their scholarship athletes, and only a quarter of their male athletes. Of course, they decide who and how much.

hapapp

Unread post by hapapp » Wed Dec 06, 2023 12:00 pm

bcoach wrote:
Wed Dec 06, 2023 10:19 am
hapapp wrote:
spacemonkey wrote:
hapapp wrote:
ericsaid wrote:
Tue Dec 05, 2023 1:53 pm

And therein lies the problem.

1. How could the NCAA require paid employees of the University also be students?
2. How could they cap the number of years that an athlete could play? Why couldn't an athlete also become a Professor and continue playing football? Why are they any different from, say, dining hall staff? They don't cap how long someone can work at the dining hall, how can they do that to paid employees playing football?
3. How can they comply with Title IX requirements if the universities are directly involved in payment? Wouldn't they have to pay female athletes just as much as male athletes? That also means pulling revenue from football to fund all other programs and their salaries.
4. Then who is to say those paid employees can be capped, required to go to class, etc?

If they are paid employees, they need not be students. Any requirement dictating that could easily be challenged in court.
This proposal doesn't make them paid employees of the university. It simply allows the university to pay for NIL rather than going thru a collective. It doesn't violate Title IX because half of the athletes receiving the minimum of $30,000 have to be female athletes. As proposed, this doesn't affect their status as students. While the proposal gives the participating schools some autonomy, they are still a part of the NCAA and would have to abide by all other NCAA rules.
This is the part that I think could hurt the rich p4...if they pay their male Football and Basketball players millions they will have to pay their females millions. I don't think the women will settle for men making millions and women making $30,000. They will want equal.
I read an article that it would cost Arkansas nearly $8m to cover half their 400+ athletes. This proposal won't stop the bidding war for top flight talent so schools still will have to shell out far more than the minimum $30,000. So, that's the floor. I think there will be a few P5 schools that will struggle to meet this requirement.
My best guess is they will not have 400 athletes. They will have enough womens athletes to balance out the football number. Mens and womens BB will even out and the rest of the sports are gone.
Currently, to be a member of D1 you have to maintain a certain number of teams. Unless that rule is waived that can't just eliminate sports below a certain number.

canes_mj

Unread post by canes_mj » Wed Dec 06, 2023 12:02 pm

I'm also wondering what's going to happen to the Rutgers' and Vanderbilt's, etc....given the money of the TV contracts of the Big10 and SEC, even bad programs like Rutgers/Vandy could maybe be able to swing this. But if the biggest football programs break away, are those programs really going to get included?

hapapp

Unread post by hapapp » Wed Dec 06, 2023 12:04 pm

canes_mj wrote:
Wed Dec 06, 2023 12:02 pm
I'm also wondering what's going to happen to the Rutgers' and Vanderbilt's, etc....given the money of the TV contracts of the Big10 and SEC, even bad programs like Rutgers/Vandy could maybe be able to swing this. But if the biggest football programs break away, are those programs really going to get included?
But to what degree can they compete? Some already struggle mightily to be competitive, given what the big boys can spend some of the bottom feeders in the P5 will find it even harder to compete.

MrCraig

Unread post by MrCraig » Wed Dec 06, 2023 12:15 pm

hapapp wrote:
Wed Dec 06, 2023 12:04 pm
canes_mj wrote:
But to what degree can they compete? Some already struggle mightily to be competitive, given what the big boys can spend some of the bottom feeders in the P5 will find it even harder to compete.
If big time college football actually breaks away from the NCAA, those smaller teams will be left behind. Most of those teams will then be the big dogs in the new, "lower" subdivision. Honestly, for some of those teams it will probably be better from a fan perspective. Vanderbilt would win a lot more games if they were in the MAC or CUSA, but they won't be making that SEC money.

bcoach

Unread post by bcoach » Wed Dec 06, 2023 12:41 pm

hapapp wrote:
Wed Dec 06, 2023 12:00 pm
bcoach wrote:
hapapp wrote:
spacemonkey wrote:
hapapp wrote:

Currently, to be a member of D1 you have to maintain a certain number of teams. Unless that rule is waived that can't just eliminate sports below a certain number.
That is correct but my best guess is that if the NCAA is able to hold it together that rule will change also. With that said, I don't really think that is going to happen anyway. I truley believe the big guys are going to break off football from the NCAA and this new plan dies.

bcoach

Unread post by bcoach » Wed Dec 06, 2023 1:02 pm

MrCraig wrote:
Wed Dec 06, 2023 12:15 pm
hapapp wrote:
Wed Dec 06, 2023 12:04 pm
canes_mj wrote:
If big time college football actually breaks away from the NCAA, those smaller teams will be left behind. Most of those teams will then be the big dogs in the new, "lower" subdivision. Honestly, for some of those teams it will probably be better from a fan perspective. Vanderbilt would win a lot more games if they were in the MAC or CUSA, but they won't be making that SEC money.
There may also be schools that drop football if either thing happens.

ericsaid

Unread post by ericsaid » Wed Dec 06, 2023 2:24 pm

NeersBy90 wrote:
Wed Dec 06, 2023 8:06 am
"Schools in the new subdivision would also gain control of decision-making around scholarship limits and countable coaches, the NCAA's way of handing major conference programs the freedom to increase the limits or do away with them altogether."

This is what scares me... If the Bamas and Ohio States of the world can do away with scholarship and countable coach limits, what's going to keep them from hoarding players/coaches with life changing money just to keep them away from everyone else under the guise of wait your turn?
Do you want players who are going to go sit on the bench to get paid, or those who want to play?

Football players, and those who make it to college, are going to be competitive people. Most will not want to go ride the pine. Sure, they can pay them all they want, and I guess it's a good gig, but that's as far as you'll go.

Stonewall

Unread post by Stonewall » Wed Dec 06, 2023 6:59 pm

ericsaid

Unread post by ericsaid » Wed Dec 06, 2023 7:35 pm

hapapp wrote:
Wed Dec 06, 2023 12:00 pm
bcoach wrote:
hapapp wrote:
spacemonkey wrote:
hapapp wrote:

Just to pay football and basketball to the levels they would demand, I have to think it would take up half of their new television contract dollars. You know damn well they aren't going to let schools pay half of their team and not the other half, pay male point guards $3 million and female point guards $30,000, men strikers $60,000 and women strikers $30,000, softball pitchers $30,000 and male pitchers $5 million.

There is so much that could go wrong with this. And the question is, what is it for? Like, what even is it for? I get it for professional sports leagues. You have a group of owners of franchises who band together to create an association governed by rules to maximize profit for said owners. But colleges, other than LIBERTY Liberty Libertyyy Bibbberty, are non-profits. What do they stand to gain from this?

There have to be some major kickbacks going on. Someone lining their pockets in the space of the schools, and not just the media networks and apparel companies. The spirit of amateurism and collegiality in sport is dead. It's probably been dead for 50 years or so at this point but still, it's insanely wasteful and unproductive for society.

Here is something I'd recommend. Why don't these colleges and universities in the top tier take all of that cash they have and make school free for all of their students? Have the same standards of acceptance except everyone goes to school tuition free. You want to make a broader impact on society? PAY YOUR ACADEMIC STUDENTS. Sports are going to be hoarding the cash and paying the students who will have fees and tuition rates used to support an athletics program that doesn't require it.

Asinine.

Bigdaddyg1

Unread post by Bigdaddyg1 » Wed Dec 06, 2023 8:57 pm

Remember a long time ago (not really) when you heard about the sleazy alumn or some minion who would slip a star player a couple grand or so? Seemed so sketchy and underhanded. Now...

VNova

Unread post by VNova » Wed Dec 06, 2023 9:00 pm

I wonder what the NFL Players Association thinks about this. I can imagine pro teams using this to drop the value of the contracts of the top draftees. Why give them a contract worth $41m when you can already see it’s half that or less?

I have other issues, but posters here have already covered them pretty well.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Appalachian Football”