Here is the link to the fall sports streaming schedule.

https://appstatesports.com/news/2023/8/ ... edule.aspx

NCAA Proposing New College Sub-division

PhillyApp1

Re: NCAA Proposing New College Sub-division

Unread post by PhillyApp1 » Mon Dec 11, 2023 11:59 am

ASUFan4863 wrote:
Sun Dec 10, 2023 9:23 pm
PhillyApp1 wrote:
Sun Dec 10, 2023 4:57 pm
Why have politicians NOT gotten involved.... federal and state money is used in ALL these schools.
Are they being paid off?
The politicians should be threatening the NCAA and the universities.
Unfortunately, politicians are involved with the NCAA. Charlie Baker is a former health care CEO and Governor. He is the first NCAA president to not be a college president or athletic director. There is no telling who is behind these "calls for action".
I would think there are more than a few legislators from small to mid size schools to make a correction????

appstatealum
School: Appalachian State

Unread post by appstatealum » Mon Dec 11, 2023 2:20 pm

Looking back on things, I enjoyed the FCS era more and more as each day passes. Obviously App was lucky to have some entertaining athletes, but the playoffs and lack of beauracracy made it much more enjoyable.

Let me clarify before it gets misinterpreted we 100% made the right move when we went FBS. But under the new landscape, let the "elitists" programs have their own deal or any other school wanting to waste time, money and effort trying to compete in the semi-pros with the politics (see Florida St), and let the rest of colleges rebuild a new CFB with playoffs and less beauracracy. Home playoff games and storied rivalries. No NIL. It would eventually level itself out.
The Appalachian State

ericsaid

Unread post by ericsaid » Tue Dec 19, 2023 1:49 pm

appstatealum wrote:
Mon Dec 11, 2023 2:20 pm
Looking back on things, I enjoyed the FCS era more and more as each day passes. Obviously App was lucky to have some entertaining athletes, but the playoffs and lack of beauracracy made it much more enjoyable.

Let me clarify before it gets misinterpreted we 100% made the right move when we went FBS. But under the new landscape, let the "elitists" programs have their own deal or any other school wanting to waste time, money and effort trying to compete in the semi-pros with the politics (see Florida St), and let the rest of colleges rebuild a new CFB with playoffs and less beauracracy. Home playoff games and storied rivalries. No NIL. It would eventually level itself out.
The difference between FCS and FBS, for me, is that the playoff is pushed up to October. Every game matters in FBS and I think fans tend to agree as you see App's attendance continuing to grow. The interesting thing for me is that App's attendance is very, very similar to Georgia Tech's, is quite a bit more than anyone in the AAC despite ECU claiming to have had higher average attendance some how, and is probably more than Wake's. In a normal year, I'd be certain it's higher than Duke's.

What makes a program a power school is something I don't get. Give App State $40 million per year in media revenue and what do you think would happen? Viewership would easily be comparable to Wake while attendance would undoubtedly be higher and I'd imagine App's foundation of success would provide a framework to be more competitive than Wake typically is.

Point is that everything going on right now is driven by changes in language and re-defining words to better suit an end. They are the means to an end. Little has changed other than the words we use to describe what's happening.

Stonewall

Unread post by Stonewall » Tue Dec 19, 2023 2:13 pm

College football is going to get a lot more expensive.

ericsaid

Unread post by ericsaid » Tue Dec 19, 2023 2:38 pm

Stonewall wrote:
Tue Dec 19, 2023 2:13 pm
Watching G5 bowls makes me realize that the sport would be fine, and maybe even better, if those teams went off and did their own thing. The new division could institute similar rules but do so in a fair and equitable way. Seeing a playoff that involves Boise State, App State, Troy, Miami (Oh.), Toledo, Louisiana, etc. may sound boring but I really think it would help fan interest at some of these programs. I don't think you'd see the talent level drop off as the pool from which schools pull players from would remain largely unchanged.

t4pizza

Unread post by t4pizza » Tue Dec 19, 2023 3:58 pm

ericsaid wrote:
Tue Dec 19, 2023 2:38 pm
Stonewall wrote:
Watching G5 bowls makes me realize that the sport would be fine, and maybe even better, if those teams went off and did their own thing. The new division could institute similar rules but do so in a fair and equitable way. Seeing a playoff that involves Boise State, App State, Troy, Miami (Oh.), Toledo, Louisiana, etc. may sound boring but I really think it would help fan interest at some of these programs. I don't think you'd see the talent level drop off as the pool from which schools pull players from would remain largely unchanged.
You just described the 1AA playoffs from the 80s and 90s with the exception of Toledo and Miami.

BambooRdApp

Unread post by BambooRdApp » Tue Dec 19, 2023 4:27 pm

t4pizza wrote:
Tue Dec 19, 2023 3:58 pm
ericsaid wrote:
Stonewall wrote:
You just described the 1AA playoffs from the 80s and 90s with the exception of Toledo and Miami.
I do not want this in any way it is developed. I will take my chances, so to speak, that we are in the Top 6 champions every several years (yes, high goals). If not making it, going to a decent bowl game..versus going back to playoffs format. Just my preference.
Last edited by BambooRdApp on Tue Dec 19, 2023 4:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Today I Give My All For Appalachian State!!
#FreeMillerHillForMoMoney!!
#SleeveStripesWereTheBomb!!
#99ForPresident!!

bcoach

Unread post by bcoach » Tue Dec 19, 2023 4:32 pm

ericsaid wrote:
Stonewall wrote:
Does not sound boring to me at all.

ericsaid

Unread post by ericsaid » Mon Dec 25, 2023 3:59 am

t4pizza wrote:
Tue Dec 19, 2023 3:58 pm
ericsaid wrote:
Stonewall wrote:
1-AA was arguably much better then than it is now, as well.

The problem App's going to run into is that a lot of other, similar, programs are going to want to make the jump up. App played the game in the 70's and stayed down, resulting in an eventual foundation made of diamond. The surface can get dirty but, overall, the foundation is of the utmost resistance to wear and tear.

With the foundation App has, I think the program would be ready to make the jump. Where there is a will, and some bright young and old minds alike, there is a way.

The AAC programs will try to make the jump as well as the MWC. Several from the Sun Belt, if not all except for ULM could possibly do it, as currently constructed. The problem is going to be how they structure conferences. Can they block schools they don't want through the "must have a conference" rule.

Speaking of which, I'm surprised that hasn't shot down in court as an anti-trust issue, as well as the fee it costs to move up.

Bigdaddyg1

Unread post by Bigdaddyg1 » Mon Dec 25, 2023 10:29 am

Part of the issue with moving up in class is that ultimately there is still the same pool of athletes every year. If 130 schools all try to be at the same level it's not like there will be 200 more high school football players who were not there before. Things level off. It's already ridiculous how many resources are allocated for the sport

hapapp

Unread post by hapapp » Mon Dec 25, 2023 1:47 pm

Bigdaddyg1 wrote:
Mon Dec 25, 2023 10:29 am
Part of the issue with moving up in class is that ultimately there is still the same pool of athletes every year. If 130 schools all try to be at the same level it's not like there will be 200 more high school football players who were not there before. Things level off. It's already ridiculous how many resources are allocated for the sport
Add to that there has been a steady decline in the number of those playing high school football. Almost a 200,000 drop off over the last decade or so.
https://www.statista.com/statistics/267 ... -football/

bcoach

Unread post by bcoach » Mon Dec 25, 2023 3:39 pm

hapapp wrote:
Mon Dec 25, 2023 1:47 pm
Bigdaddyg1 wrote:
Mon Dec 25, 2023 10:29 am
Add to that there has been a steady decline in the number of those playing high school football. Almost a 200,000 drop off over the last decade or so.
https://www.statista.com/statistics/267 ... -football/
Part of that problem is the interest in lacross.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Appalachian Football”