Here is the link to the fall sports streaming schedule.

https://appstatesports.com/news/2023/8/ ... edule.aspx

2024 Spring Ball

hapapp
School: Appalachian State

Re: 2024 Spring Ball

Unread post by hapapp » Sun Mar 24, 2024 1:39 pm

AppSt94 wrote:
Sun Mar 24, 2024 12:05 pm
hapapp wrote:
Sun Mar 24, 2024 11:51 am
Saint3333 wrote:
Sun Mar 24, 2024 7:19 am
Lack of communication is a pervasive problem for the athletics department.

Three posters on Yosef’s Cabin isn’t an effective form of communication.

There is a faction of the fanbase that are loyal Yosef Club donors and season ticket holders that are reluctant to support NIL programs (for various reasons).

I do hope we aren’t planning on excluding communication of general athletic events to those fans. That will be a grave mistake.
My understanding (and that only) was that it was not an open event. One had to have contributed/joined (whatever the proper terminology) to gain entrance. One can actually be a part of this NIL with as little as $9 a month.

I think many of us are disenchanted with the direction that college sports seems to be taking. On the other hand, if it becomes a part of the new norm, are we to eschew this course while our competitors take advantage of it? Whatever our decision, it comes at a cost. We either adapt and bite the bullet, or we fall behind competitively.
That would be incorrect. There was no obligation to join or have already joined to participate.
See what I know.

I went back and re-read the message and it was the give aways that was for members only, not the practice.

AppSt94

Unread post by AppSt94 » Sun Mar 24, 2024 1:59 pm

hapapp wrote:
Sun Mar 24, 2024 1:39 pm
AppSt94 wrote:
Sun Mar 24, 2024 12:05 pm
hapapp wrote:
Sun Mar 24, 2024 11:51 am
Saint3333 wrote:
Sun Mar 24, 2024 7:19 am
Lack of communication is a pervasive problem for the athletics department.

Three posters on Yosef’s Cabin isn’t an effective form of communication.

There is a faction of the fanbase that are loyal Yosef Club donors and season ticket holders that are reluctant to support NIL programs (for various reasons).

I do hope we aren’t planning on excluding communication of general athletic events to those fans. That will be a grave mistake.
My understanding (and that only) was that it was not an open event. One had to have contributed/joined (whatever the proper terminology) to gain entrance. One can actually be a part of this NIL with as little as $9 a month.

I think many of us are disenchanted with the direction that college sports seems to be taking. On the other hand, if it becomes a part of the new norm, are we to eschew this course while our competitors take advantage of it? Whatever our decision, it comes at a cost. We either adapt and bite the bullet, or we fall behind competitively.
That would be incorrect. There was no obligation to join or have already joined to participate.
See what I know.

I went back and re-read the message and it was the give aways that was for members only, not the practice.
I’m sure that you weren’t alone.

311neers

Unread post by 311neers » Sun Mar 24, 2024 2:19 pm

https://x.com/appweeklynews/status/1771 ... 3hJ5cku44g

Interesting interview. Some names I didn’t expect as performing newcomers. Clark mentions timing of spring ball and wishing it started now. Or, maybe he just wishes he had an extra 15 days for more work. I like the upgrade of the interview camera and the TIGMA hat!

Saint3333

Unread post by Saint3333 » Sun Mar 24, 2024 2:32 pm

I think he wishes he had 15 more days. The strength program likes this schedule better, which trumps fans need for involvement ;-).

AppStFan1

Unread post by AppStFan1 » Sun Mar 24, 2024 2:43 pm

AppSt94 wrote:
Sun Mar 24, 2024 12:55 pm
AppStFan1 wrote:
Sun Mar 24, 2024 12:48 pm
AppSt94 wrote:
Sun Mar 24, 2024 2:13 am
As I said above and this is all I will say on it in this thread; The event was for the kickoff of the TIGMA NIL and it was supported by Athletics to the extent that Clark allowed it to coincide with his last practice of the Spring. As such, it wasn’t a sponsored event by App Athletics so there was no need for them to promote it. That should fall on TIGMA, which they did announce it. If you scroll back through this thread, I personally mentioned it on March 14th and it was discussed between a few people. Some of you are on here as much, if not more so than I am so if you didn’t see it, that is on you.

As for the Spring game idea, ya”ll are free to discuss the timing an event with Gillin, Clark, or anyone you want in Athletics. They aren’t doing it. Myself, Bootsy and a few others that Clark admires spent more than enough time lobbying for it with both Shawn and the AD to the extent that we were asked and we presented an outline of what the event could look like, the revenue stream and timing. That was two years ago and we haven’t heard anything else about it. Satterfield tried it and the attendance sucked.

I get the rationale of why fans want an event. I get the rationale why fans want it later in the year. I also understand why it is done in the timing that it is from the football operations side. I suggest that if it means that much to you, pick up the phone on Monday and call the Athletics Office or write Doug an email. That’s the only way this is going to make them think about doing things differently going forward.
I am hearing that and it is a sad reality. They seem to have no appetite for it. This was too early for any event though because weather can by weird. I would like to have seen something in mid to late April but the reality is they don't have an appetite for it.

I was not going to go just for TIGMA no matter what but people make plans and you can blast it on national TV but if put together late it does not matter. Maybe next time they will start promoting an event 2+ months in advance to give people plenty of time.
That’s fair. I think that asking for leeway for planning purposes is reasonable. My understanding is that the partnership with SANIL came about quickly so there wasn’t an opportunity for that type of planning. Having said that, I don’t think that they plan to move practice back in the year.
It coming together quickly is what I heard. I think the problem is that people have an appetite for a fan fest, football, meet and greet, autographs, games for kids, etc much more than pay to play presentation. This event was a TIGMA event and the appetite among our fans is just not that high. I think if we also have TIGMA there with a booth and former players along with all the other stuff they could pass around free info to people to educate and plant those seeds. They need to have an event open for all fans and present TIGMA there as well. Maybe I might not be in position to give money but perhaps I know someone who runs a business that might be interested and could make that connection. We just don't know who everyone knows so I think having a big event with as many App fans as possible should be the goal. Next time they better give people 2-3 months advance notice if they are just doing this again or else they will get the same turnout.

AppSt94

Unread post by AppSt94 » Sun Mar 24, 2024 3:00 pm

AppStFan1 wrote:
Sun Mar 24, 2024 2:43 pm
AppSt94 wrote:
AppStFan1 wrote:
AppSt94 wrote:
As I said above and this is all I will say on it in this thread; The event was for the kickoff of the TIGMA NIL and it was supported by Athletics to the extent that Clark allowed it to coincide with his last practice of the Spring. As such, it wasn’t a sponsored event by App Athletics so there was no need for them to promote it. That should fall on TIGMA, which they did announce it. If you scroll back through this thread, I personally mentioned it on March 14th and it was discussed between a few people. Some of you are on here as much, if not more so than I am so if you didn’t see it, that is on you.

As for the Spring game idea, ya”ll are free to discuss the timing an event with Gillin, Clark, or anyone you want in Athletics. They aren’t doing it. Myself, Bootsy and a few others that Clark admires spent more than enough time lobbying for it with both Shawn and the AD to the extent that we were asked and we presented an outline of what the event could look like, the revenue stream and timing. That was two years ago and we haven’t heard anything else about it. Satterfield tried it and the attendance sucked.

I get the rationale of why fans want an event. I get the rationale why fans want it later in the year. I also understand why it is done in the timing that it is from the football operations side. I suggest that if it means that much to you, pick up the phone on Monday and call the Athletics Office or write Doug an email. That’s the only way this is going to make them think about doing things differently going forward.
I am hearing that and it is a sad reality. They seem to have no appetite for it. This was too early for any event though because weather can by weird. I would like to have seen something in mid to late April but the reality is they don't have an appetite for it.

I was not going to go just for TIGMA no matter what but people make plans and you can blast it on national TV but if put together late it does not matter. Maybe next time they will start promoting an event 2+ months in advance to give people plenty of time.
That’s fair. I think that asking for leeway for planning purposes is reasonable. My understanding is that the partnership with SANIL came about quickly so there wasn’t an opportunity for that type of planning. Having said that, I don’t think that they plan to move practice back in the year.
It coming together quickly is what I heard. I think the problem is that people have an appetite for a fan fest, football, meet and greet, autographs, games for kids, etc much more than pay to play presentation. This event was a TIGMA event and the appetite among our fans is just not that high. I think if we also have TIGMA there with a booth and former players along with all the other stuff they could pass around free info to people to educate and plant those seeds. They need to have an event open for all fans and present TIGMA there as well. Maybe I might not be in position to give money but perhaps I know someone who runs a business that might be interested and could make that connection. We just don't know who everyone knows so I think having a big event with as many App fans as possible should be the goal. Next time they better give people 2-3 months advance notice if they are just doing this again or else they will get the same turnout.
I would expect there to be a TIGMA presence at the fall Fan Fest as well. To your comment about knowing a business that could be contacted, I would reach out to the email address and let them know. In talking with a rep from SANIL, I was very impressed with what they offer in terms, knowledge, expertise and ideas that could benefit App. I was skeptical of what a town of Boone could offer in terms of opportunity but there are options out there that reach far beyond Boone in terms of revenue. I am excited by some of what we were told, and look forward to seeing how it all unfolds.

T-Dog

Unread post by T-Dog » Sun Mar 24, 2024 5:28 pm

AppSt94 wrote:
Satterfield tried it and the attendance sucked.
Satterfield tried it once, in 2014, when half the fanbase was still mad about Jerry and coming off a 4-8 season in FCS.

AppStFan1

Unread post by AppStFan1 » Sun Mar 24, 2024 6:58 pm

T-Dog wrote:
Sun Mar 24, 2024 5:28 pm
AppSt94 wrote:
Satterfield tried it once, in 2014, when half the fanbase was still mad about Jerry and coming off a 4-8 season in FCS.
That is a good point. Maybe it would do a lot better now?

AppStFan1

Unread post by AppStFan1 » Sun Mar 24, 2024 7:02 pm

AppSt94 wrote:
Sun Mar 24, 2024 3:00 pm
AppStFan1 wrote:
AppSt94 wrote:
AppStFan1 wrote:
AppSt94 wrote:

I would expect there to be a TIGMA presence at the fall Fan Fest as well. To your comment about knowing a business that could be contacted, I would reach out to the email address and let them know. In talking with a rep from SANIL, I was very impressed with what they offer in terms, knowledge, expertise and ideas that could benefit App. I was skeptical of what a town of Boone could offer in terms of opportunity but there are options out there that reach far beyond Boone in terms of revenue. I am excited by some of what we were told, and look forward to seeing how it all unfolds.
I am not about pay to play but if there is opportunity for true NIL then I am 100% for it for the players. I always wondered what Armanti could have made off his jersey sales, bobble head dolls, autographs, etc from just 2007 alone. I said perhaps I would know someone. My point is more along the lines of in general. I know someone who might would but his company would want a big name player and we don't have someone who is a well known name outside of App and the Sun Belt right now.

Stonewall

Unread post by Stonewall » Sun Mar 24, 2024 7:45 pm

The chasm between the big guys and the rest of us just grows larger.

704App

Unread post by 704App » Sun Mar 24, 2024 8:18 pm

T-Dog wrote:
Sun Mar 24, 2024 5:28 pm
AppSt94 wrote:
Wasn't there one year where there were essentially 2 or 3 spring games? Was that 2014? At least one in Boone and one at Ardrey Kell High School in Charlotte. I want to say there was some other event too during the spring that same year.

But it's very likely I'm confusing multiple years..

Or were those different years?

T-Dog

Unread post by T-Dog » Sun Mar 24, 2024 8:29 pm

Actually, I looked back and Satterfield did a spring game two years in a row, 2013 and 2014.

2013 was on a Saturday and there was also an open scrimmage at Ardrey Kell HS the week before.

The 2014 spring game was on a Friday night for some insane reason.

Drinkwitz held a "Mountaineers Day" in 2019 with a 10 a.m. scrimmage.

704App

Unread post by 704App » Sun Mar 24, 2024 10:00 pm

T-Dog wrote:
Sun Mar 24, 2024 8:29 pm
Ah, ok.. So, I was confusing the 2 years thinking all 3 were the same year. I think the Friday night one was because a band was playing? IIRC, the singer of the band played at Furman with Coach Stepp and was coming off a tour with a huge pop star; like Taylor Swift big -- maybe even Taylor Swift now that I say it. Can't remember the band name though.

I was thinking all three events were same year and Friday was more of a meet and greet and the concert and Saturday was the actual game, but that doesn't make sense now that I think about it.

AppSt94

Unread post by AppSt94 » Mon Mar 25, 2024 6:37 am

AppStFan1 wrote:
Sun Mar 24, 2024 7:02 pm
AppSt94 wrote:
AppStFan1 wrote:
AppSt94 wrote:
AppStFan1 wrote:

I am not about pay to play but if there is opportunity for true NIL then I am 100% for it for the players. I always wondered what Armanti could have made off his jersey sales, bobble head dolls, autographs, etc from just 2007 alone. I said perhaps I would know someone. My point is more along the lines of in general. I know someone who might would but his company would want a big name player and we don't have someone who is a well known name outside of App and the Sun Belt right now.
I ran into Sara Strickland at the baseball game and asked her which athlete had the most active and highest active social media presence. She wasn’t sure but she has the data and is going to look it up. The prevailing thought among the group that I was speaking with was someone named Lulu (sp?)

AppStFan1

Unread post by AppStFan1 » Mon Mar 25, 2024 7:06 am

AppSt94 wrote:
Mon Mar 25, 2024 6:37 am
AppStFan1 wrote:
AppSt94 wrote:
AppStFan1 wrote:
AppSt94 wrote:

I ran into Sara Strickland at the baseball game and asked her which athlete had the most active and highest active social media presence. She wasn’t sure but she has the data and is going to look it up. The prevailing thought among the group that I was speaking with was someone named Lulu (sp?)
That is good to know! They should update the numbers almost weekly and provide a printout at these events for anyone interested in doing deals.

AppSt94

Unread post by AppSt94 » Mon Mar 25, 2024 7:07 am

T-Dog wrote:
Sun Mar 24, 2024 8:29 pm
Actually, I looked back and Satterfield did a spring game two years in a row, 2013 and 2014.

2013 was on a Saturday and there was also an open scrimmage at Ardrey Kell HS the week before.

Drinkwitz held a "Mountaineers Day" in 2019 with a 10 a.m. scrimmage.
Apparently, the attendance of those events was enough justification for him to not want to do them. Whether he, or the administration gave it enough time to grow the event over time is another story. Maybe it isn’t what he wanted and he valued the opportunity for instruction over a demonstration. It’s his job on the line so it’s his decision.

Shawn seemed warm to the idea. But if it happens, it’s going to happen in March. The scheduling of practice is purposefully done and he won’t deviate from that. So fans are going to have to meet him halfway on that. If the fanbase wants football in Spring then they are going to have to brave the elements to see it.

I don’t think that Shawn is against a spring game, or at least that is what he told me.

AppSt94

Unread post by AppSt94 » Mon Mar 25, 2024 7:16 am

311neers wrote:
Sun Mar 24, 2024 2:19 pm
https://x.com/appweeklynews/status/1771 ... 3hJ5cku44g

Interesting interview. Some names I didn’t expect as performing newcomers. Clark mentions timing of spring ball and wishing it started now. Or, maybe he just wishes he had an extra 15 days for more work. I like the upgrade of the interview camera and the TIGMA hat!
I wouldn’t read too much into the names that he mentioned. Farmer is likely to be a huge contributor as a grad transfer that has played a lot of ball. The other three are freshman that you likely don’t hear much of in season with the exception of Fernandes.

BUTCH1991

Unread post by BUTCH1991 » Mon Mar 25, 2024 9:11 am

AppSt94 wrote:
Mon Mar 25, 2024 6:37 am
AppStFan1 wrote:
AppSt94 wrote:
AppStFan1 wrote:
AppSt94 wrote:

Volleyball player and girlfriend of Mantis.

Bootsy

Unread post by Bootsy » Mon Mar 25, 2024 1:43 pm

While I realize some here feel strongly about David Ware and the 247 site, I would encourage you check out his recent interview with SANIL CEO Jason Belzer: https://247sports.com/college/appalach ... 36/?page=1

Belzer is a big fish in this space and TIGMA partnering with SANIL is a huge win for App Athletics.

Also, Saturday was fun, if not well attended. Had some great interaction with the SANIL folks; they really opened my eyes to the variety of funding opportunities available to TIGMA…some of which are already under development and not at all what one might expect.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Appalachian Football”