Here is the link to the fall sports streaming schedule.

https://appstatesports.com/news/2023/8/ ... edule.aspx

TIGMA NIL

AppSt94
School: Appalachian State

Re: TIGMA NIL

Unread post by AppSt94 » Fri Mar 15, 2024 7:58 pm

AppStFan1 wrote:
Fri Mar 15, 2024 7:29 pm
AppSt94 wrote:
Fri Mar 15, 2024 6:22 pm
KentHogan wrote:
Fri Mar 15, 2024 5:54 pm
With fans now being ask to pour even more money into NIL, plus season tickets, plus Yosef, etc., coaches will be under even more pressure to win with fans now essentially paying for players.

Fans will feel emboldened to demand firings, demand players be benched, etc.
And in my opinion, they will have every right to demand it. If the players are being paid to play, they’ll have to take the heat just like pros.

I know some fans are already very vocal, but it’s about to get much worse.

I hate all of this, and I’m glad I was able to enjoy the game for years before all this craziness got started.

What a mess. Go App!
Fans are going to be fans and the increased feeling of entitlement with funding NIl won’t change that. Thing is, the NIL isn’t associated with App Athletics. They have no input other than to support at arms length. I agree with your sentiment. NIL was intended to be a good thing but it quickly morphed into an unchained animal.
I agree with you both. I know they say the intent was to be good but the NCAA knew what it would become just like the rest of us with common sense knew as well. It is an unchained animal like you said and the money should come from TV revenue share instead of asking regular fans to give to this on top of the Yosef Club.
The only ones that can afford that with TV $ are schools in the Big and SEC. It would put a strain of the ACC schools and Big 12 and would cripple G5 and FCS schools.

AppStFan1

Unread post by AppStFan1 » Fri Mar 15, 2024 8:17 pm

AppSt94 wrote:
Fri Mar 15, 2024 7:58 pm
AppStFan1 wrote:
AppSt94 wrote:
KentHogan wrote:
With fans now being ask to pour even more money into NIL, plus season tickets, plus Yosef, etc., coaches will be under even more pressure to win with fans now essentially paying for players.

And in my opinion, they will have every right to demand it. If the players are being paid to play, they’ll have to take the heat just like pros.

I hate all of this, and I’m glad I was able to enjoy the game for years before all this craziness got started.

What a mess. Go App!
Fans are going to be fans and the increased feeling of entitlement with funding NIl won’t change that. Thing is, the NIL isn’t associated with App Athletics. They have no input other than to support at arms length. I agree with your sentiment. NIL was intended to be a good thing but it quickly morphed into an unchained animal.
I agree with you both. I know they say the intent was to be good but the NCAA knew what it would become just like the rest of us with common sense knew as well. It is an unchained animal like you said and the money should come from TV revenue share instead of asking regular fans to give to this on top of the Yosef Club.
The only ones that can afford that with TV $ are schools in the Big and SEC. It would put a strain of the ACC schools and Big 12 and would cripple G5 and FCS schools.
G5 and below are already being crippled with losing star players at a high rate. The whole argument was that schools make so much revenue (a lot of it through TV) that players should get a cut of it.

What do you think is the answer to all this? We can't afford to pay our players a big salary. We are always going to be very limited so other than getting more people to become a YC member I am not sure what else we can do. I am sure that businesses in Boone are involved with our athletes if they want to and feel they are getting a ROI already.

AppSt94

Unread post by AppSt94 » Fri Mar 15, 2024 8:28 pm

AppStFan1 wrote:
Fri Mar 15, 2024 8:17 pm
AppSt94 wrote:
AppStFan1 wrote:
AppSt94 wrote:
KentHogan wrote:

What a mess. Go App!
G5 and below are already being crippled with losing star players at a high rate. The whole argument was that schools make so much revenue (a lot of it through TV) that players should get a cut of it.

What do you think is the answer to all this? We can't afford to pay our players a big salary. We are always going to be very limited so other than getting more people to become a YC member I am not sure what else we can do. I am sure that businesses in Boone are involved with our athletes if they want to and feel they are getting a ROI already.
Your last sentence is what makes your thinking all wrong. We aren’t paying these kids. The school has nothing to do with NIL deals. These collectives are the ones raising the money and and allocating funds or helping these players get the money. I understand your point that athletes should get a piece of the revenue pie. The issue with your thinking is that you are seem to be limiting the reach to those sports that generate the revenue. If the school was to pay directly, they would be required to pay the non revenue generating athletes as well. Title IX makes that necessary. There really is no answer other than let this thing eat itself. There is a great deal of money being thrown around with the intent to get the best players to win football games. There will come a point where that doesn’t happen at the rate of expectations. and those feeding the machine will see what a waste of resources it is.

AppStFan1

Unread post by AppStFan1 » Fri Mar 15, 2024 9:26 pm

AppSt94 wrote:
Fri Mar 15, 2024 8:28 pm
AppStFan1 wrote:
AppSt94 wrote:
AppStFan1 wrote:
AppSt94 wrote:

Your last sentence is what makes your thinking all wrong. We aren’t paying these kids. The school has nothing to do with NIL deals. These collectives are the ones raising the money and and allocating funds or helping these players get the money. I understand your point that athletes should get a piece of the revenue pie. The issue with your thinking is that you are seem to be limiting the reach to those sports that generate the revenue. If the school was to pay directly, they would be required to pay the non revenue generating athletes as well. Title IX makes that necessary. There really is no answer other than let this thing eat itself. There is a great deal of money being thrown around with the intent to get the best players to win football games. There will come a point where that doesn’t happen at the rate of expectations. and those feeding the machine will see what a waste of resources it is.
I am limiting to sports that generate revenue because that is where all this talk started. People brought lawsuits simply thinking about football and basketball and honestly this realignment is all about football. The sport makes so much that they are making entire AD decisions simply based on football.

I know the collective is but we don't have massive resources in those where the funds are unlimited just like with the school. Correct? Only so much available and I would imagine most want to see a ROI.

AppSt94

Unread post by AppSt94 » Sat Mar 16, 2024 7:48 am

AppStFan1 wrote:
Fri Mar 15, 2024 9:26 pm
AppSt94 wrote:
AppStFan1 wrote:
AppSt94 wrote:
AppStFan1 wrote:

I am limiting to sports that generate revenue because that is where all this talk started. People brought lawsuits simply thinking about football and basketball and honestly this realignment is all about football. The sport makes so much that they are making entire AD decisions simply based on football.

I know the collective is but we don't have massive resources in those where the funds are unlimited just like with the school. Correct? Only so much available and I would imagine most want to see a ROI.
I understand why you are limiting your sports. But you can’t. Especially if the school is directly involved. I also feel that you are intertwining return on investment between on and off field return. One is more enticing to a business than the other. If collectives such as the 3333 or the new TIGMA are going to be completely funded by individuals, then yes, the on field expectations are going to be unreasonable and could be detrimental to the overall success. I have spoken to parents of players that have told me of the vile attacks on social media from fans. Imagine what that turns into when we lose a game and some random guy that gave $10 a month to a collective takes to social media to express his displeasure. We already have a few of those asshats now and many of them don’t donate squat to the program.

As a business that looks to invest, these are advertising dollars are limited and for a town like Boone, those dollars are limited and not every business would benefit from having a football or basketball player endorsing their brand.

AppStFan1

Unread post by AppStFan1 » Sat Mar 16, 2024 12:30 pm

AppSt94 wrote:
Sat Mar 16, 2024 7:48 am
AppStFan1 wrote:
Fri Mar 15, 2024 9:26 pm
AppSt94 wrote:
AppStFan1 wrote:
AppSt94 wrote:

I understand why you are limiting your sports. But you can’t. Especially if the school is directly involved. I also feel that you are intertwining return on investment between on and off field return. One is more enticing to a business than the other. If collectives such as the 3333 or the new TIGMA are going to be completely funded by individuals, then yes, the on field expectations are going to be unreasonable and could be detrimental to the overall success. I have spoken to parents of players that have told me of the vile attacks on social media from fans. Imagine what that turns into when we lose a game and some random guy that gave $10 a month to a collective takes to social media to express his displeasure. We already have a few of those asshats now and many of them don’t donate squat to the program.

As a business that looks to invest, these are advertising dollars are limited and for a town like Boone, those dollars are limited and not every business would benefit from having a football or basketball player endorsing their brand.
I know what you mean legally but all the moves by schools and the initial lawsuits were 100% based on just 2 sports. Football and basketball are the drivers of all this so my focus is there because that is where the focus was when this started. They also draw money.

I don't condone vile attacks on social media. Sad that we have jerks doing it.

The reality here is that businesses want a financial ROI and boosters are going to be upset when they are milked for money and the results don't improve. We did not win the title every year before all this happened but won more than we have since it happened. With inflation it is a hard sell.

Your comment about businesses is exactly what I was thinking. There just is not enough resources in Boone to have a lot of deals. The reality is that every athlete and every sport can't benefit from NIL in our situation.

What athlete do we have that has such a big brand that they could even be a big draw for a sponsor in Watauga County? I am still waiting on someone to give me specific names and I suspect there is not one currently.

A lot of athletes could make more money with a regular part-time job on the side than a small amount from a burger with their name or something. The one big draw is App Athletics as a whole. I will give my money to Appalachian State to help ALL of our athletes by helping the program but I will not give money to one individual. I am just not rich to where I could afford it if I wanted to so I would have to see a ROI to do so.

AppSt94

Unread post by AppSt94 » Sat Mar 16, 2024 1:30 pm

Sara Strickland and Doug Middleton would be a better source as to what athletes have the larger followings. If you are there next Saturday, they would be the ones that I suggest seeking out.

AppStFan1

Unread post by AppStFan1 » Sat Mar 16, 2024 1:44 pm

AppSt94 wrote:
Sat Mar 16, 2024 1:30 pm
Sara Strickland and Doug Middleton would be a better source as to what athletes have the larger followings. If you are there next Saturday, they would be the ones that I suggest seeking out.
I won't be there for that but I am curious so I will have to ask. My guess without any investigation is that we have several athletes with 5,000 or maybe 10,000 followers but nobody with 100k or more.

appgrad95&97

Unread post by appgrad95&97 » Sat Mar 16, 2024 5:46 pm

This is so silly given how poorly the Yosef Club is. Seriously, how many $1000+ does YC have?

AppStFan1

Unread post by AppStFan1 » Sat Mar 16, 2024 6:33 pm

appgrad95&97 wrote:
Sat Mar 16, 2024 5:46 pm
This is so silly given how poorly the Yosef Club is. Seriously, how many $1000+ does YC have?
I agree. I think these entities should be using their efforts to grow the Yosef Club so we can enhance the experience for all athletes.

appgrad95&97

Unread post by appgrad95&97 » Sat Mar 16, 2024 6:57 pm

AppStFan1 wrote:
Sat Mar 16, 2024 6:33 pm
appgrad95&97 wrote:
I agree. I think these entities should be using their efforts to grow the Yosef Club so we can enhance the experience for all athletes.
And if it ever came to it we'd get "out bid".

Stonewall

Unread post by Stonewall » Sun Mar 17, 2024 10:43 am

appgrad95&97 wrote:
Not enough. It’s humorous to read the ideas of “ what we ought to do “ on here . We are lucky to have what we have and are in danger of losing it given the lack of support from our “ fan base “.

AppStFan1

Unread post by AppStFan1 » Sun Mar 17, 2024 10:50 am

appgrad95&97 wrote:
Sat Mar 16, 2024 6:57 pm
AppStFan1 wrote:
Sat Mar 16, 2024 6:33 pm
appgrad95&97 wrote:
And if it ever came to it we'd get "out bid".
Agreed. That is another reason why I am not worried about helping a NIL because if we don't get the player I want I would expect to get my money back and I bet that would be hard to get a refund.

spacemonkey

Unread post by spacemonkey » Sun Mar 17, 2024 10:58 am

My son and I toured NCState yesterday. My son plays tennis. Yesterday, we toured the NCState Tennis facility with the NCState tennis head coach. (We got lucky....he is not being recruited he was just interested in seeing the facility) It was eye opening. Their tennis facility is probably nicer than our football facility.

God Bless the AppState powers that be and what we have pulled off athletically with so little in resources.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Appalachian Football”