Here is the link to the fall sports streaming schedule.

https://appstatesports.com/news/2023/8/ ... edule.aspx

Roster Updates

firemoose
School: Appalachian State

Re: Roster Updates

Unread post by firemoose » Tue Jun 30, 2015 2:04 pm

EastHallApp wrote:Thanks Moose. Impressive gains for several redshirt freshmen. Also nice to see Fernandez drop a few pounds.
Yes. Lots of things leaped off the page for me. Many of our WR's, TE's and LB's all gaining. Plus this is 51 of the 101 roster so far. The rest, not counting incoming freshmen, either were unchanged or have not been updated yet. All of our incoming class are still listed at the weights they were on signing day. I'm sure we're testing them right now and they will update them soon as well.

Two that really caught my eye were Stout and Harkness (not counting LS Slate, checked that one many times plus made a quick trip to the eye doctor just to make sure I was reading it correctly :lol: ). As we talked before spring ball the word was that Stout was going to work at DE with us having 3 NG's plus Barrett coming in but two things changed that. Small and TF being out most of spring made the move for Stout back to nose a need since we only had Burns available. And he did well at the spot. Plus the 25 lbs gain he made and the fact that you can just see in his T & F pics from this spring that he has really put on the muscle have given us another option there. He's worked both nose and DE since he's been here and we can move him all over the place as needed, depending on the OL's we're going against. Nice option to have. And Harkness putting on 25 also puts him just behind Blair in size. Will be good to get him some reps. Also nice to see Bronson back up 20 lbs after dropping last season.

We may not see it on paper since they'll use these July numbers all year but it'll be interesting to see where our lines are once S & C gets done setting them for the season. I'd say a 5 to 10 lbs up by camp, especially of the OL, should be pretty close. That plus the overall shape that S & C has our team in should pay big come the 3rd and 4th quarters.

EastHallApp

Unread post by EastHallApp » Tue Jun 30, 2015 2:17 pm

Those were the two that jumped out at me also, Moose. I expect both will be factors for us this year. As will Jaylan Barbour.

T-Dog

Unread post by T-Dog » Tue Jun 30, 2015 2:22 pm

Tyson was already the fastest and quickest of the NT's when he was at 330. Just hope he can stay relatively healthy.

firemoose

Unread post by firemoose » Tue Jun 30, 2015 3:14 pm

Have some number changes also that I thought I would add:

Latrell Gibbs-27 to 5
Dustin Armstrong-87 to 22
Mykelti Armstrong-15 to 5 (Guess we won't see Gibbs and Armstrong on the field at the same time)
Bill Cecil-52 to 46
Levi Duffield-58 to 86 (position change to TE)
Austin Exford-34 to 9
Curtis Fitch-12 to 17
Teh'Ron Fuller-46 to 37
Alanmicheal Harkness-41 to 44
Dante Jones-82 to 13
Zy Letman-86 to 82
Michael Moll-92 to 89

We've got a lot of double numbers from 20 on down. Didn't see any above 20 except 22. Not unusual but interesting.

JTApps1

Unread post by JTApps1 » Tue Jun 30, 2015 3:50 pm

firemoose wrote:
EastHallApp wrote:Thanks Moose. Impressive gains for several redshirt freshmen. Also nice to see Fernandez drop a few pounds.
Yes. Lots of things leaped off the page for me. Many of our WR's, TE's and LB's all gaining. Plus this is 51 of the 101 roster so far. The rest, not counting incoming freshmen, either were unchanged or have not been updated yet. All of our incoming class are still listed at the weights they were on signing day. I'm sure we're testing them right now and they will update them soon as well.

Two that really caught my eye were Stout and Harkness (not counting LS Slate, checked that one many times plus made a quick trip to the eye doctor just to make sure I was reading it correctly :lol: ). As we talked before spring ball the word was that Stout was going to work at DE with us having 3 NG's plus Barrett coming in but two things changed that. Small and TF being out most of spring made the move for Stout back to nose a need since we only had Burns available. And he did well at the spot. Plus the 25 lbs gain he made and the fact that you can just see in his T & F pics from this spring that he has really put on the muscle have given us another option there. He's worked both nose and DE since he's been here and we can move him all over the place as needed, depending on the OL's we're going against. Nice option to have. And Harkness putting on 25 also puts him just behind Blair in size. Will be good to get him some reps. Also nice to see Bronson back up 20 lbs after dropping last season.

We may not see it on paper since they'll use these July numbers all year but it'll be interesting to see where our lines are once S & C gets done setting them for the season. I'd say a 5 to 10 lbs up by camp, especially of the OL, should be pretty close. That plus the overall shape that S & C has our team in should pay big come the 3rd and 4th quarters.
For the first time in many years I finally feel like the weights we have listed for our guys is legit. I also think that is why a few guys are showing weight loss now. I'm sure some have lost fat such as both the NT's, but some guys always looked way too small for what they were listed as. Ferguson comes to mind there. It's good to see most of our OL in the 280-300 range now.
When will "It's better than what we had" no longer be good enough for App State?

T-Dog

Unread post by T-Dog » Wed Jul 01, 2015 5:57 pm

Nic Johnson is transferring to Elon.

firemoose

Unread post by firemoose » Wed Jul 01, 2015 6:00 pm

T-Dog wrote:Nic Johnson is transferring to Elon.
He said that at the start of spring. I thought I had posted it earlier but if I didn't, sorry. Not a ship player but an NC kid. Wish him the best at Elon.

TheMackAttack

Unread post by TheMackAttack » Fri Jul 03, 2015 5:55 pm

Jamie Collmar to NT apparently?

firemoose

Unread post by firemoose » Fri Jul 03, 2015 6:42 pm

TheMackAttack wrote:Jamie Collmar to NT apparently?
I think we'll just have to see how camp shakes out for him. We all know he was OL in high school and his first couple of years here but moved to DL last year when we were a little more shorthanded on that side. But as I said to EastHall, most of last year the word was that Stout was being looked at more for DE than NT but with the injuries and the fact that he blew it up during spring, and with the additional weight and muscle he's put on now, he looks like he's firmly in the NT spot. Given the depth/experience issues we have at OL behind the starters and the fact that we have 4 NT's now, not including Barrett, who should redshirt, it'll be interesting to see if we keep him on D or move him back to O. Honestly, unless we have a couple of major injuries at nose, there's no real need to have 5 NT's. And unless they've made some offseason changes to his speed and technique he doesn't really fit the usual 3-4 DE. Next year we'll be trading Burns (Sr) for Barrett so we still have 4 NT's. We'll need to bring in a couple in the next two classes to replace Small and TF after 16' so that's something to watch.

We've got several spots and players to watch in camp to see where everyone gets placed. Will be fun to keep track of.

MrSkippy1973

Unread post by MrSkippy1973 » Sat Aug 01, 2015 10:56 am

Collmar also played NT in high school and was very good. Looked up his stats from last year with limited playing time he received last year he was the only NT to log a sack and had 2 solo tackles. The most solo tackles from NT were 5 for the year. Like you I will set back and see what happens.

firemoose

Unread post by firemoose » Wed Aug 05, 2015 3:39 pm

Most of the PWO's have been added to the roster page. There are two more that I had info on but not enough to add them to the Main and one that's listed on the Main Page and on the .edu site, but is not added. May have decided not to play but we'll see. We've also had a couple of deletions. One from this past class. I hope we'll refrain from speculation about the reasons why. I'm sure that we'll hear what we need to know in the coaches interviews that are going to be flooding in during camp. It does mean one more scholarship is available. Either used for Favoroso or added to the list for the 2016 class. All are listed below, including hudl packages for the two that I didn't have posted on the Main.

http://www.hudl.com/athlete/1592698/josh-filbey
http://www.hudl.com/athlete/2808601/byron-stephenson

Additions:

69 Evan Crowell, DL 6-2 270 Fr. Plant City, Fla. (Plant City)
53 Michael Dunlevy, OL 6-0 270 Fr. Charlotte, N.C. (Rocky River)
97 Chris Favoroso, DL 6-3 240 Fr. Jensen Beach, Fla. (Jensen Beach)
63 Josh Filbey, OL 6-1 235 Fr. Franklin, Tenn. (Franklin)
56 Caleb Hendrix, LS 6-0 210 Fr. Southern Pines, N.C. (Pinecrest)
91 Trey Keeny, TE 6-2 225 Fr. Raleigh, N.C. (Leesville Road)
61 Aiden Nesvisky, OL 6-4 260 Fr. Raleigh, N.C. (Ravenscroft)
2 Zeb Speir, QB 6-2 190 Fr. Sylva, N.C. (Smokey Mountain)
65 Byron Stephenson, DL 6-3 300 Fr. Hillsborough, N.C. (Orange)
93 Morgan Wilson, DL 6-4 250 Fr. Charlottesville, Va. (Monticello)

Deletions:

18 Marlin Johnson, WR 6-2 225 Fr. Carrboro, N.C. (Carrboro)
63 Tyler Norris, OL 6-5 260 Fr. Kingsport, Tenn. (Dobyns-Bennett)

asu66

Unread post by asu66 » Wed Aug 05, 2015 6:08 pm

Moose, thanks for that post that included Zeb Speir. I had forgotten about him. I didn't follow him after the family moved to the whee. Does he have skills that can be developed or is this just a complimentary nod to a former ASU staffer? Zeb's time in the 40 and his vertical didn't knock me over. No disrespect intended, just wondering. Maybe he'll develop into another Logan Hallock.

2 Zeb Speir, QB 6-2 190 Fr. Sylva, N.C. (Smokey Mountain) 2
If it happens to the Apps, it happens to me!

NewApp

Unread post by NewApp » Wed Aug 05, 2015 8:49 pm

asu66 wrote:Moose, thanks for that post that included Zeb Speir. I had forgotten about him. I didn't follow him after the family moved to the whee. Does he have skills that can be developed or is this just a complimentary nod to a former ASU staffer? Zeb's time in the 40 and his vertical didn't knock me over. No disrespect intended, just wondering. Maybe he'll develop into another Logan Hallock.

I don't think we'd waste a scholarship just to do a former coach a favor.
NewApp formerly known as JCline
If you can't take it, don't dish it out.
Google SUX

MDaniels84

Unread post by MDaniels84 » Wed Aug 05, 2015 9:29 pm

No scholly offer yet. This is a PWO position.

firemoose

Unread post by firemoose » Wed Aug 05, 2015 10:40 pm

asu66 wrote:Moose, thanks for that post that included Zeb Speir. I had forgotten about him. I didn't follow him after the family moved to the whee. Does he have skills that can be developed or is this just a complimentary nod to a former ASU staffer? Zeb's time in the 40 and his vertical didn't knock me over. No disrespect intended, just wondering. Maybe he'll develop into another Logan Hallock.

From the reports I've heard from the first two days Zeb's not doing too bad. David's looking real good for a freshman who's just getting started and I'm sure they want to keep the shirt on him. And with Easter's speed he can be used at several positions, as well as on the scout team to help with game prep for running QB's. I would say comparing Zeb and Logan is about right. He's someone who, once he fully learns all the calls, can be a backup that can be counted on to get us through some dings, just in case. We also have walk on RS Fr Curtis Fitch, who's been in the system for a year now, who can fill the role as well. All in all we're in a lot better shape with QB depth than last year after Logan was injured.

ASUchipman

Unread post by ASUchipman » Thu Aug 06, 2015 7:42 am

I hate to see that Norris is no longer listed. I dont know what happened, but I believe you cant have too many good big linemen. The line on both sides of the ball is where games are won and lost.

appst89
Site Admin

Unread post by appst89 » Thu Aug 06, 2015 10:14 am

ASUchipman wrote:I hate to see that Norris is no longer listed. I dont know what happened, but I believe you cant have too many good big linemen. The line on both sides of the ball is where games are won and lost.
If I'm not mistaken, his parents posted about how excited he was to be here and how excited they were to be part of the Mountaineer family. I hate to lose him too, but sometimes things just don't work out.

firemoose

Unread post by firemoose » Mon Aug 10, 2015 5:44 pm

Well this update stings a little but noticed it this morning and just did some checking today to see what was out there.

Deletion:
79 Owen Painter, OL 6-5 285 Fr. Loganville, Ga. (Grayson)

There's always some attrition but it stinks it's at the one position we need some depth. We do have a good deal of camp left to move some players around. He was listed as the LT 2 during spring so we'll see who winds up there and we'll see who else is moved (or if someone might not get a redshirt) to add some more depth. Stay tuned.

Saint3333

Unread post by Saint3333 » Mon Aug 10, 2015 7:53 pm

That's two OL this week. I bet we see a few more OL offers go out soon.
Last edited by Saint3333 on Mon Aug 10, 2015 8:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

AppFan11

Unread post by AppFan11 » Mon Aug 10, 2015 8:45 pm

Hey Moose, what did you hear about Painter? I really liked his attitude on the field.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Appalachian Football”