Here is the link to the fall sports streaming schedule.

https://appstatesports.com/news/2023/8/ ... edule.aspx

We Just Got Our Butts Whipped Soundly

Black Saturday
School: Appalachian State

We Just Got Our Butts Whipped Soundly

Unread post by Black Saturday » Sat Aug 31, 2013 11:12 pm

We aren't very good at the moment.

Not sure we beat Georgia this year?

We didn't give up, which is positive.

Reckon Price would have helped keep a few drives alive and the defense a little less winded?
BLACK SATURDAY

hapapp

Re: We Just Got Our Butts Whipped Soundly

Unread post by hapapp » Sat Aug 31, 2013 11:19 pm

We just didn't look prepared for this game. But, Montana deserves a lot of credit for how poorly we played.

Maddog1956

Unread post by Maddog1956 » Sat Aug 31, 2013 11:23 pm

hapapp wrote:We just didn't look prepared for this game. But, Montana deserves a lot of credit for how poorly we played.
Montana looked good very few mistakes after the opening. App not prepared,every series had mistakes.

ebapps1

Unread post by ebapps1 » Sat Aug 31, 2013 11:26 pm

Guess it's a god thing my wife had knee replacement surgery a couple of weeks ago, I had thought about going to the game. # savedalotofmoney

RankinApp

Unread post by RankinApp » Sat Aug 31, 2013 11:26 pm

hapapp wrote:We just didn't look prepared for this game.
A recurring theme the past several years. :|

MACAPP86

Unread post by MACAPP86 » Sat Aug 31, 2013 11:27 pm

Congrats Griz for heading in the right direction. Our team better expect other teams to have their A game on for us this year. We're going to have to bring way more than we did tonight.

Black Saturday

Unread post by Black Saturday » Sat Aug 31, 2013 11:30 pm

hapapp wrote:We just didn't look prepared for this game. But, Montana deserves a lot of credit for how poorly we played.
Montana is certainly better than us.

We saw why they win 88% of the time in their stadium.

Our offense isn't clicking. I wouldn't believe that we only score six points before the game started.
If I knew Montana was going to score 30 points tonight, I would have said APP probably would still win

It hasn't been uncommon for our defenses to give up 30 and we still win over the years.

We could lose more games this season than we are accustomed. At the moment I can count about 4-5, if we don't get better. And that is scary considering we are moving up to play established 85 scholarship teams.
BLACK SATURDAY

Black Saturday

Unread post by Black Saturday » Sat Aug 31, 2013 11:47 pm

RankinApp wrote:
Just think? We lose to Montana 30-6.

No playoffs this year but, we close with Georgia this season an open with Michigan next season.

Based on tonight's game,

Do we score in those games and do Georgia and Michigan hang 60 on us?
BLACK SATURDAY

appbio91

Unread post by appbio91 » Sat Aug 31, 2013 11:55 pm

Black Saturday wrote:
RankinApp wrote:
Just think? We lose to Montana 30-6.

No playoffs this year but, we close with Georgia this season an open with Michigan next season.

Based on tonight's game,

Do we score in those games and do Georgia and Michigan hang 60 on us?
Based on this game if Georgia only scores 60 it means they coast in the second half.

pjc1979

Unread post by pjc1979 » Sat Aug 31, 2013 11:57 pm

We sucked tonight and it hurts, but the sky isn't falling. We're 0-1, but 9-3 isn't out of the question. The SoCon is looking weak this season thank goodness. We're still a good team, but no not great. Our young/inexperienced team will continue to improve however.

firemoose

Unread post by firemoose » Sun Sep 01, 2013 12:30 am

One thing to keep in mind. 78 of our 108 players on this roster are either freshmen (52 of those) or sophomores. We have 12 seniors (only 9 made the trip). I haven't looked it up to see but I would think that would make us one of the youngest teams in the nation, at any level. These things take time and these kids have got to get some experience before we truly know what we have.

GoApps70

Unread post by GoApps70 » Sun Sep 01, 2013 1:02 am

We have 52 freshmen on the team? Really?

Time to lighten the mood. Since it's either that or drink.

What would Coach Moore say after this butt whipping?

We are going to take this and learn from this game.
They were just better than us tonight.
We looked really good the first minute of the game.
All our reserves that didn't play looked really good, sitting on the bench.

I give up. Too depressed to think or drink.
==========================================================================
Give 'em Hell Apps !.....Sun Belt future champs !........Enlarge Kidd Brewer ASAP!
==========================================================================

hapapp

Unread post by hapapp » Sun Sep 01, 2013 6:23 am

No doubt this loss was a wake up call. A dose of humility is not always a bad thing. I do believe anyone who believed we take the Sun Belt by storm might take a more realistic view now.

Their is plenty of talent on this team. Much of it is young and inexperienced. I do believe things will improve but we must find ourselves being more patient at this point (do we really have any choice?).

I do wonder if the goal of going 12-0 got in the way of having the right mind set going into the season. Regardless, that goal gets sidelined in game one. Obviously, there needs to be a refocusing of what this team can accomplish going forward. As ASU66 pointed out in another post, the SoCon looks pretty weak judging by week 1. We still have a chance to rebound from last night's performance.

kgblade

Unread post by kgblade » Sun Sep 01, 2013 6:40 am

Once again, just absolutely dominated up front on both sides of the ball. Defense looked regressed. Offense looked regressed. Win'em all :lol: . Try to beat one legit FCS program.

I would not recruit another skill position player this year. I would load up on big linemen on both sides of the ball. So, so tired of watching the Apps get pushed around in the trenches.

Yosef84

Unread post by Yosef84 » Sun Sep 01, 2013 6:55 am

We do have some bigger players who are not playing (very young) but I sure wouldn't mind seeing more beef. I questioned the size of the DL about a week ago and was told that Coach Woody asked the players to drop weight. If that is true, it baffles me a bit. Most 3-4 defenses have a big run stopper at nose tackle.

This is hardly the first disappointing start we've had lately .Va Tech was a total no-show. The first ECU game started out as a blow out and we had to play lights out in the second half to keep it from being an embarrassment. The NC State game in 2006 was a real stinker in which we showed ZERO offense against a team that really wasn't any better than Montana was today.

We have a lot of work to do, but I still think there is a lot to work with on our roster. Let's see how these guys respond.

ASPENSOX

Unread post by ASPENSOX » Sun Sep 01, 2013 7:05 am

First, hats off to the Griz for playing a well played game. From App's perspective, we definitely took our lumps last night but I do not think the sky is falling.

A few observations:

1. We have some athletes and good overall team speed. Law was all over the field last night and from the limited opportunities Cox got he made the most of them.
2. Defensively we gave up a lot of yards. With the athletes we have on that side of the ball and the youth I think things will get better rapidly.
3. Londry-Jackson does not look healthy and seemed very uncomfortable and out of sync. It seems he has not fully recovered from his injury last year.
4. Kam Bryant looked much more polished and I was encouraged to see his level of play. He did fumble and made a bad decision on the interception but he also did some good things. Looks to be much more mobile than Londry-Jackson and made decisions much quicker which allowed him to get the ball out.

I fully expected the D to struggle at times during the game. With the youth and changing to a 3-4 base I figured there would be some growing pains. Good news is I think with more game reps this D has the opportunity to improve tremendously.

The offense did not look very good and struggled to find a rhythm all night. Again, I do not think Londry-Jackson is 100% healthy and it showed. We have got to be able to run the football and we need to find a true #1 running back.

All in all a humbling experience and hopefully this team (and coaches) can bounce back and put together a better performance next week.

Ashe_App

Unread post by Ashe_App » Sun Sep 01, 2013 7:27 am

Karma, Mr. Cobb, karma.

Double A

Unread post by Double A » Sun Sep 01, 2013 7:31 am

Well, we were on the wrong end of a good old fashioned butt whipping, which nobody likes. But, we're Mountaineers and we're tough, nasty, and resilient and we'll just roll up our sleeves and get to work and make sure we come out swinging next week.

Give "Em Hell!!

AppSt94

Unread post by AppSt94 » Sun Sep 01, 2013 8:34 am

firemoose wrote:One thing to keep in mind. 78 of our 108 players on this roster are either freshmen (52 of those) or sophomores. We have 12 seniors (only 9 made the trip). I haven't looked it up to see but I would think that would make us one of the youngest teams in the nation, at any level. These things take time and these kids have got to get some experience before we truly know what we have.

Thank you for pointing this out. Too many posters to this board measure success solely by the numbers on the scoreboard.

jaykisz

Unread post by jaykisz » Sun Sep 01, 2013 9:53 am

WE ARE LUCKY IT WAS ONLY 30 POINTS,,,,HOW MANY TIMES DID MONTANA GET IN SIDE THE RED ZONE AND LEAVE WITH NOTHING,,,,,IT COULD BE A LONG YEAR

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Appalachian Football”