Here is the link to the fall sports streaming schedule.

https://appstatesports.com/news/2023/8/ ... edule.aspx

4th & 1 foot again?

AppGrad1

4th & 1 foot again?

Unread post by AppGrad1 » Sat Sep 08, 2012 10:18 pm

Great game BUT....
How many freaking times do we fail at 4th and one from shotgun snap! GET UNDER CENTER SCOTT!
Great game. Rant over.

firemoose
School: Appalachian State

Re: 4th & 1 foot again?

Unread post by firemoose » Sat Sep 08, 2012 10:33 pm

Not to mention if your going to run for it then why not put in the BIG back who we converted for the tough yards. Miller did well tonight but Frazier should have been in there for those short yardage plays. We've GOT to put a few under center plays for those short yardage or backed up against the goal line situations.

GlassOnion

Unread post by GlassOnion » Sat Sep 08, 2012 11:31 pm

Has Jerry Moore still got the last call on offensive plays?

These up the gut plays on 4th and 1 are like bamboo shoots under my fingernails. Just like the conservative junk with 3 min to go, we run run and pass on what should have been the last possession, and give the Griz the opportunity to drive the field and tie the game, which they nearly did!

Exactly how many 3rd or 4th downs did they convert, because it seemed like all of them at times.

AppAttack

Unread post by AppAttack » Sat Sep 08, 2012 11:59 pm

I agree completely and I can't believe we're still doing this. It happened at least twice again tonight. This will cost us a game we should win. WHY start 5-7 yards behind the line of scrimmage when you need a foot? Use your 6-3 QB for a sneak and pick it up EVERY TIME! I don't mean this as a slight to the little guy, but Miller has NO CHANCE on 4th and 1 up the middle when everyone knows it's coming. He LOST 5 yards on the last one. It's not his thing. PLEASE QUIT DOING THIS, IT DOESN'T MAKE ANY SENSE. Ok, I'm done too. Great win over the Griz!!! Finally!

Yosef84

Unread post by Yosef84 » Sun Sep 09, 2012 5:49 am

I was frustrated about the conservative play calling at times, but the fact is that Montana converted 8 for 18 on third, while App converted 7 for 18. Montana was 2 for 2 on 4th down conversation. App was 2 for 3.

Yes, I would like to have thrown the ball on our last possession (with 4 minutes left) but we won a great game against a very good Montana team. Montana won the offensive stats but not by a big margin. We're young and I think we'll see more creative plays as the season progresses.

GO APPS!!!

Black Saturday

Unread post by Black Saturday » Sun Sep 09, 2012 6:19 am

I'd like to see Frazier in on obvious up the gut calls.
BLACK SATURDAY

hapapp

Unread post by hapapp » Sun Sep 09, 2012 6:39 am

GlassOnion wrote:Has Jerry Moore still got the last call on offensive plays?

These up the gut plays on 4th and 1 are like bamboo shoots under my fingernails. Just like the conservative junk with 3 min to go, we run run and pass on what should have been the last possession, and give the Griz the opportunity to drive the field and tie the game, which they nearly did!

Exactly how many 3rd or 4th downs did they convert, because it seemed like all of them at times.
I know it doesn't fit the narrative for a lot of folks, but the playcalling isn't that much different from the committee. What many people don't remember, is that play was a staple when Satterfield was here during the championship run.

Speaking of third down conversions, ASU is now 11-33 on third down. Montana was far more creative in their playcalling on 3rd down. Our defense did do a much better job of stopping them on 3rd down in the 2nd half.

The real bugaboo thus far has been giving up the big play.

Did anyone else notice how open Miller was time and time again on the little swing pass out of the backfield? Jackson never even looked his way.

BeauFoster

Unread post by BeauFoster » Sun Sep 09, 2012 6:51 am

I'd really like to see us look to throw in some of these situations. The corner was playing 15 yards off Price at the line all night. Turn and fire a pass to him once or twice and you're almost guaranteed to get one yard.
Give 'em hell!

WVAPPeer
School: Other

Unread post by WVAPPeer » Sun Sep 09, 2012 7:37 am

Since we haven't seen our QB under center for a long time I wouldn't expect to see it anytime soon - I must admit I was a little perplexed by our short yardage calls - the option worked just about everytime but Miller up the middle didn't - I agree with Firemoose here when he says that is the time to put Frazier in or to go with both Miller and Frazier - having said that I am just so happy to have SS back calling the plays ---
"Montani Semper Liberi"

The Dude Abides!!!

HighPointApp

Unread post by HighPointApp » Sun Sep 09, 2012 8:52 am

hapapp wrote:
GlassOnion wrote:Has Jerry Moore still got the last call on offensive plays?

I know it doesn't fit the narrative for a lot of folks, but the playcalling isn't that much different from the committee. What many people don't remember, is that play was a staple when Satterfield was here during the championship run.

Speaking of third down conversions, ASU is now 11-33 on third down. Montana was far more creative in their playcalling on 3rd down. Our defense did do a much better job of stopping them on 3rd down in the 2nd half.

The real bugaboo thus far has been giving up the big play.

Did anyone else notice how open Miller was time and time again on the little swing pass out of the backfield? Jackson never even looked his way.
There were at least three times on 3rd and short (2-3 yards), pass plays were called and JJ went with the down field pass which were incomplete and we ended up punting. It seems JJ locks on the deep ball and didn't consider the underneath pass. But I wasn't there and only picked this up from listening to the game. He'll improve as the season progresses as he learns the new system better.
Give 'em Hell!
Class of ‘96

TheGreatBolo

Unread post by TheGreatBolo » Sun Sep 09, 2012 8:52 am

Wish we had Dan Moore for those short downs. He ran with an attitude.

AppinVA

Unread post by AppinVA » Sun Sep 09, 2012 9:04 am

Since a lot of people are comparing this to the 2005 team, I can remember having the same feeling about short yardage situations after the Coastal game. The score should've been 42-0 at least, but we couldn't get KRich in the end zone on two short yardage situations. By December, it was no longer a concern, and we never went under center. If the guys listen to what Satterfield is coaching, I believe the same will hold true this season.
"Some people call me hillbilly. Some people call me mountain man. You can call me Appalachian. Appalachian's what I am."-- Del McCoury Band

TheGreatBolo

Unread post by TheGreatBolo » Sun Sep 09, 2012 9:14 am

We need a strong back like Dan Moore. He ran with an attitude.

HighPointApp

Unread post by HighPointApp » Sun Sep 09, 2012 9:42 am

[quote="AppinVA"]Since a lot of people are comparing this to the 2005 team, I can remember having the same feeling about short yardage situations after the Coastal game. The score should've been 42-0 at least, but we couldn't get KRich in the end zone on two short yardage situations. By December, it was no longer a concern, and we never went under center. If the guys listen to what Satterfield is coaching, I believe the same will hold true this season.[/quote/]

It's amazing in just two games how much confidence in our coaching staff has improved. As the season progresses the players will be leaps and bounds above where they are now.
Give 'em Hell!
Class of ‘96

Yosef84

Unread post by Yosef84 » Sun Sep 09, 2012 9:59 am

HighPointApp wrote:
hapapp wrote:
GlassOnion wrote:Did anyone else notice how open Miller was time and time again on the little swing pass out of the backfield? Jackson never even looked his way.
There were at least three times on 3rd and short (2-3 yards), pass plays were called and JJ went with the down field pass which were incomplete and we ended up punting. It seems JJ locks on the deep ball and didn't consider the underneath pass. But I wasn't there and only picked this up from listening to the game. He'll improve as the season progresses as he learns the new system better.
I don't disagree with the frustrations about conservative play calling, but we have a VERY young team and the OL is still in the process of improving. Last year JJ had poor pass protection and he didn't have time to go through a progression. I'm thinking that he will get more comfortable with his pass protection (much improved so far this year) and settle in. I'm very pleased with his performance so far this year. I think the playbook will expand and play calling will get better as these young guys get some experience.

1ASU78

Unread post by 1ASU78 » Sun Sep 09, 2012 10:57 am

TheGreatBolo wrote:Wish we had Dan Moore for those short downs. He ran with an attitude.
DUDE! the govennator ran where and when he wanted to.

SS hasn't worked any miracles but we're coming along. Our two injuries may have shown up some. When our line opened a hole Miller took off. Same old song on D, opponent has third and FORRRRREVERRRRRRRRRRRRR and makes it. Our D did go after the QB that was cool.and it was just great to be back in KBS.

how about those Jar Heads?

ASUMountaineer

Unread post by ASUMountaineer » Wed Sep 12, 2012 8:51 am

AppAttack wrote:I agree completely and I can't believe we're still doing this. It happened at least twice again tonight. This will cost us a game we should win. WHY start 5-7 yards behind the line of scrimmage when you need a foot? Use your 6-3 QB for a sneak and pick it up EVERY TIME! I don't mean this as a slight to the little guy, but Miller has NO CHANCE on 4th and 1 up the middle when everyone knows it's coming. He LOST 5 yards on the last one. It's not his thing. PLEASE QUIT DOING THIS, IT DOESN'T MAKE ANY SENSE. Ok, I'm done too. Great win over the Griz!!! Finally!
The conservative playcalling could be a result of young players in big situations. It's easy for us to second guess after the fact when we haven't been working with these players daily. I don't think anyone can debate that the playcalling is vastly improved this year and will win us games.
Poster formerly known as AppState03 (MMB) and currently known as ASUMountaineer everywhere else.

AppGrad1

Unread post by AppGrad1 » Wed Sep 12, 2012 7:17 pm

ASUMountaineer wrote:
AppAttack wrote:I agree completely and I can't believe we're still doing this. It happened at least twice again tonight. This will cost us a game we should win. WHY start 5-7 yards behind the line of scrimmage when you need a foot? Use your 6-3 QB for a sneak and pick it up EVERY TIME! I don't mean this as a slight to the little guy, but Miller has NO CHANCE on 4th and 1 up the middle when everyone knows it's coming. He LOST 5 yards on the last one. It's not his thing. PLEASE QUIT DOING THIS, IT DOESN'T MAKE ANY SENSE. Ok, I'm done too. Great win over the Griz!!! Finally!
The conservative playcalling could be a result of young players in big situations. It's easy for us to second guess after the fact when we haven't been working with these players daily. I don't think anyone can debate that the playcalling is vastly improved this year and will win us games.
Not to get in a spitting war but I really could not tell ANY difference in this years play calling and last year's play calling yet. I thought Montana's play calling really outshined ours. I loved the flip pass to the big stud for a huge gain. They also ran crossing patterns that got receivers open many times. Not to say our's was bad at all but it was not night and day from last years, IMO...

AppAttack

Unread post by AppAttack » Wed Sep 12, 2012 7:46 pm

I'm with you, the play calling looks exactly the same -- but we do have a young team -- the new staff will likely take their time filtering in new plays that the players feel comfortable with. I was just hoping for something a bit different early on -- especially on those 3rd or 4th and inches situations. Lining up 5-7 yards in the backfield or throwing a deep pass just doesn't make any sense.

Appsolutely

Unread post by Appsolutely » Thu Sep 13, 2012 9:58 am

Black Saturday wrote:I'd like to see Frazier in on obvious up the gut calls.
YES! If we are not going to use him in those situations, when ARE we going to use him?
"I’ve always said the program is bigger than me, any one player or any one coach."--Scott Satterfield

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Appalachian Football”