Here is the link to the fall sports streaming schedule.

https://appstatesports.com/news/2023/8/ ... edule.aspx

Our fans treatment of visiting team fans

gah-riz
School: Montana

Re: Our fans treatment of visiting team fans

Unread post by gah-riz » Mon Sep 10, 2012 5:05 pm

App Fans, I want to give you all a big THANK YOU for how were were treated over the weekend. I had told some of my buddies to expect plenty of hospitality, but they were almost dumbfounded with how nice everyone was to us.

We arrived Friday evening and took a walk from our hotel to get some food (decked out in Griz gear) and we get 50 yards from the hotel and a nice gal pulls up, rolls down her window and says "Welcome to Boone!". This happened to us no less than 6 times over the weekend.

We were trying to make our way to Murphy's but ended up at Portofino, we sat down and managed to order the only beer I can recall paying for all weekend. Shortly after that, a cool guy by the name of Chase walked over to our table with hands full of beer and dropped them off and invited us to some tailgate spots, from then on out it was on, no more $$$ for beers came out of our pockets. We also met this gentlemen and talked with him for awhile, he came up and started talking to us and had a Montana shirt with an App State hat and went on to explain that his son went to App and his daughter went to Montana, real good dude.

SHOUT OUT TO THE SHORT BUS CREW! You Bunch of A-Holes ;)
PhillyAPP1, Bill, and Sally, you guys are the BEST! We met these 3 Friday night at Portofinos and shot the shit with them for what seemed like hours, they invited us to hit up the Short Bus the next day and boy did we hit up the Short Bus. I was feeling rough Saturday morning thanks to everyone's hospitality, but PhillyAPP1's magical Tea and Vodka put me back in the game.

After the game (which was great, even being on the losing end!). We were confronted by the Frat house by Hardee's, yelling various things about going back to Montana and that we f&*@#& suck. One of our crew went over to shake hands and tell them good game but these 2 dudes weren't interested. I wasn't even going to mention this but I saw someone else witnessed them doing this to some other Montana fans. I consider those guys extreme outliers and not representative of true App State fans! And I apologize in advance if you encounter anyone like that on your trip to Montana next year

We ended our night at Town Tavern where the fun continued. We were given WAY more than we could possibly drink without ending up in the hospital. Lucky for us the Short Bus crew arrived and we got to see them one last time! We were bought what seems like a hundred shots by a dude I refer to as "Iggy #60".

We managed to get to our hotel and wake up the next morning just in time for checkout. We headed over to Town Tavern to catch some NFL games and the hospitality continued. We mistakenly parked in the wrong spot (spots for tanning place next door). A gentlemen, who I surmise is the owner and/or manager of/at Town Tavern, pointed this out to us after we had been served our food (our car was decked out in Griz magnets and us in Griz gear) and actually offered to move our car for us!

I give this trip a 10/10, if we had won I would have given it a 11/10. I hope as many of you as possible can make the return trip to Montana so we can return your hospitality! Our group travelled from Montana, Colorado, Oregon, and Texas and have never experienced such great treatment from another fan base.

I could go on and on about how we were treated, all our tailgate stops, etc. but it would take 30 pages.

Thanks again guys, you're the best! See you next year!

appthunder90
School: Appalachian State

Unread post by appthunder90 » Mon Sep 10, 2012 7:51 pm

gah-riz wrote:App Fans, I want to give you all a big THANK YOU for how were were treated over the weekend. I had told some of my buddies to expect plenty of hospitality, but they were almost dumbfounded with how nice everyone was to us.

We arrived Friday evening and took a walk from our hotel to get some food (decked out in Griz gear) and we get 50 yards from the hotel and a nice gal pulls up, rolls down her window and says "Welcome to Boone!". This happened to us no less than 6 times over the weekend.

We were trying to make our way to Murphy's but ended up at Portofino, we sat down and managed to order the only beer I can recall paying for all weekend. Shortly after that, a cool guy by the name of Chase walked over to our table with hands full of beer and dropped them off and invited us to some tailgate spots, from then on out it was on, no more $$$ for beers came out of our pockets. We also met this gentlemen and talked with him for awhile, he came up and started talking to us and had a Montana shirt with an App State hat and went on to explain that his son went to App and his daughter went to Montana, real good dude.

SHOUT OUT TO THE SHORT BUS CREW! You Bunch of A-Holes ;)
PhillyAPP1, Bill, and Sally, you guys are the BEST! We met these 3 Friday night at Portofinos and shot the shit with them for what seemed like hours, they invited us to hit up the Short Bus the next day and boy did we hit up the Short Bus. I was feeling rough Saturday morning thanks to everyone's hospitality, but PhillyAPP1's magical Tea and Vodka put me back in the game.

After the game (which was great, even being on the losing end!). We were confronted by the Frat house by Hardee's, yelling various things about going back to Montana and that we f&*@#& suck. One of our crew went over to shake hands and tell them good game but these 2 dudes weren't interested. I wasn't even going to mention this but I saw someone else witnessed them doing this to some other Montana fans. I consider those guys extreme outliers and not representative of true App State fans! And I apologize in advance if you encounter anyone like that on your trip to Montana next year

We ended our night at Town Tavern where the fun continued. We were given WAY more than we could possibly drink without ending up in the hospital. Lucky for us the Short Bus crew arrived and we got to see them one last time! We were bought what seems like a hundred shots by a dude I refer to as "Iggy #60".

We managed to get to our hotel and wake up the next morning just in time for checkout. We headed over to Town Tavern to catch some NFL games and the hospitality continued. We mistakenly parked in the wrong spot (spots for tanning place next door). A gentlemen, who I surmise is the owner and/or manager of/at Town Tavern, pointed this out to us after we had been served our food (our car was decked out in Griz magnets and us in Griz gear) and actually offered to move our car for us!

I give this trip a 10/10, if we had won I would have given it a 11/10. I hope as many of you as possible can make the return trip to Montana so we can return your hospitality! Our group travelled from Montana, Colorado, Oregon, and Texas and have never experienced such great treatment from another fan base.

I could go on and on about how we were treated, all our tailgate stops, etc. but it would take 30 pages.

Thanks again guys, you're the best! See you next year!
I looked for Montana people all weekend but I think I was checking the wrong spots. Hate I missed buying y'all some brews!

kiddbrewer

Unread post by kiddbrewer » Mon Sep 10, 2012 8:02 pm

I wanted to put in my 2 cents before I concentrate on the next game, but my group tailgated with several Griz fans. I think we were invited to stay at Flathead Lake (I hope I got that right) by 2 separate people, one of them own a brewery and said he will provide all the beer needed for the weekend. Another younger couple we met and tailgated with for a bit was actually on TV at the very beginning of ESPN's broadcast as they walked into the stadium.

We run into a lot of visiting fans, but I must say the Griz fans were the most outgoing of all the fans that have visited Kidd Brewer stadium. You guys are a great group!!. I certainly hope I can get up to Montana next year and experience the atmosphere at your place, but with a planned trip to Alaska next summer, I'm not sure if that is doable. I will say, I am going to do all I can and in my opinion, this trip will be as much anticipated as my trip to the Big House.

Gonzo

Unread post by Gonzo » Tue Sep 11, 2012 8:34 am

ASUMountaineer wrote:
Gonzo wrote:
appgrad98 wrote:My biggest problem with our fans, is the group of students that don't pay any attention to the game, but do nothing but yell obscenities to the opposing fans. A large group of students in the end zone seating started chanting f%$k Montana and flipping them the bird. Very classless and it doesn't represent the majority of the fans. It went on for a while, and when a Montana fand responded with his on finger salute, they started in on him, to the point that some students went to the Montana section and was asked to leave by security. I don't know how this could be addressed, but it was a large number of students to the left of the band that was involved.
That group is 100% frat guys and are not representative of the student body. They behave like that to pretty much everyone, everyday.
Just to be clear, that 100% of frat guys =/= 100% of all frat guys.
Maybe at other schools, but it is an alarmingly high percentage at Appalachian. At least when I was there. (07-11).

I knew a few guys in fraternities and countless sorority girls that were great people, but I think you would be surprised by the piss poor attitude shared by the vast majority of the male greek community now-a-days. In fact, while walking into the Montana game we had a typical experience with one of them.

A friend of mine was visiting that never went to Appalachian. While I was going #1, he was holding the App flag. A few people were walking up (including some frat douche) and my buddy did the old Gandolf "YOU SHALL NOT....PAAAASSSSSS!!!" with the pole. Then the smug bastard smirked and said "I wish I was a GDI" and walked on. (GDI means god damn independent and is the common term used by frat guys to condescend to unaffiliated students.)

I've got a ton of stories that are much worse if you'd care to start a thread on the general discussion page.

ASUMountaineer

Unread post by ASUMountaineer » Tue Sep 11, 2012 9:45 am

Gonzo wrote:
ASUMountaineer wrote:
Gonzo wrote:
appgrad98 wrote:My biggest problem with our fans, is the group of students that don't pay any attention to the game, but do nothing but yell obscenities to the opposing fans. A large group of students in the end zone seating started chanting f%$k Montana and flipping them the bird. Very classless and it doesn't represent the majority of the fans. It went on for a while, and when a Montana fand responded with his on finger salute, they started in on him, to the point that some students went to the Montana section and was asked to leave by security. I don't know how this could be addressed, but it was a large number of students to the left of the band that was involved.
That group is 100% frat guys and are not representative of the student body. They behave like that to pretty much everyone, everyday.
Maybe at other schools, but it is an alarmingly high percentage at Appalachian. At least when I was there. (07-11).

I knew a few guys in fraternities and countless sorority girls that were great people, but I think you would be surprised by the piss poor attitude shared by the vast majority of the male greek community now-a-days. In fact, while walking into the Montana game we had a typical experience with one of them.

A friend of mine was visiting that never went to Appalachian. While I was going #1, he was holding the App flag. A few people were walking up (including some frat douche) and my buddy did the old Gandolf "YOU SHALL NOT....PAAAASSSSSS!!!" with the pole. Then the smug bastard smirked and said "I wish I was a GDI" and walked on. (GDI means god damn independent and is the common term used by frat guys to condescend to unaffiliated students.)

I've got a ton of stories that are much worse if you'd care to start a thread on the general discussion page.
That sucks, but I can assure you it's not the case with all greeks. I am very involved with my chapter and know most of the guys. While there are some that I could see acting like this, most of them are great guys. It's human nature to focus on the negative, which a lot of times is magnified in our minds. I have no doubt that there are douchy frat guys and douchy non-frat guys. The schools is trying with the CLASS initiative, but they probably need to ramp it up to a higher level.
Poster formerly known as AppState03 (MMB) and currently known as ASUMountaineer everywhere else.

Gonzo

Unread post by Gonzo » Tue Sep 11, 2012 10:00 am

ASUMountaineer wrote:
Gonzo wrote:
ASUMountaineer wrote:
Gonzo wrote:

That sucks, but I can assure you it's not the case with all greeks. I am very involved with my chapter and know most of the guys. While there are some that I could see acting like this, most of them are great guys. It's human nature to focus on the negative, which a lot of times is magnified in our minds. I have no doubt that there are douchy frat guys and douchy non-frat guys. The schools is trying with the CLASS initiative, but they probably need to ramp it up to a higher level.
Definitely not the case with all greeks. I was just emphasizing how bad it's gotten recently. Dating a sorority girl led to me meeting some great people but mostly it subjected me to a ton of douchbaggery. PM me what frat you were in and I'll objectively tell you about their modern reputation at Appalachian. (assuming it isn't one of the several that have been kicked off campus recently, I think 4 have in 2 years)

Rekdiver

Unread post by Rekdiver » Tue Sep 11, 2012 11:11 am

Sorry to hear about the frat guys acting like asses...but I know they were not my frat guys. Us old alumni frat guys had a chat with our undergrads and suggested certain types of behaviors were not to be seen. We invited a bunch of Montana people walking through the stadium lot to eat and drink with us, some did and some had already had their fill at other spots. Now if the Georgia Southern fans could show a little class...even a very little.... when we go there that would be great.... but certaintly not expected. I'd also suggest that UM brought more fans than any other school we played at home in many a season.

WataugaMan

Unread post by WataugaMan » Tue Sep 11, 2012 12:19 pm

Rekdiver wrote: I'd also suggest that UM brought more fans than any other school we played at home in many a season.
How can this be? We had close to 32K at the game this past Saturday, more than the Tarhole - Weak Forest game. I thought we didn't have an airport close enough, not enough parking, were isolated, etc. to pull of such a stunt. :o

appthunder90

Unread post by appthunder90 » Tue Sep 11, 2012 12:56 pm

WataugaMan wrote:
Rekdiver wrote: I'd also suggest that UM brought more fans than any other school we played at home in many a season.
How can this be? We had close to 32K at the game this past Saturday, more than the Tarhole - Weak Forest game. I thought we didn't have an airport close enough, not enough parking, were isolated, etc. to pull of such a stunt. :o
i thought it was just under 31! is the actual count 32 now?! if so, that is awesome

WataugaMan

Unread post by WataugaMan » Tue Sep 11, 2012 1:03 pm

My bad, just under 31K.

appthunder90

Unread post by appthunder90 » Tue Sep 11, 2012 1:05 pm

WataugaMan wrote:My bad, just under 31K.
:\ i was hoping you knew something i didnt

WataugaMan

Unread post by WataugaMan » Tue Sep 11, 2012 1:18 pm

Still out-drew the Tarhole - Weak Forest game. "Build it and they will come"

asu7

Unread post by asu7 » Tue Sep 11, 2012 3:07 pm

Every griz I encountered was extremely nice. I welcomed them to Boone and wished them safe travels! They are a great group of folks!

McLeansvilleAppFan

Unread post by McLeansvilleAppFan » Tue Sep 11, 2012 4:49 pm

Gonzo wrote:
ASUMountaineer wrote:
Gonzo wrote:
appgrad98 wrote:douche) and my buddy did the old Gandolf "YOU SHALL NOT....PAAAASSSSSS!!!" with the pole. Then the smug bastard smirked and said....
This would have been a better post if after the Gandolf quote you had written "Then the smaug bastard."
This is my very generic signature added to each post.

kiddbrewer

Unread post by kiddbrewer » Tue Sep 11, 2012 8:57 pm

WataugaMan wrote:
I talked to some of the Montana fans, it took them days to get here. :lol:

WataugaMan

Unread post by WataugaMan » Wed Sep 12, 2012 5:16 am

Must have been the group that traveled by covered wagon. :D

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Appalachian Football”