Here is the link to the fall sports streaming schedule.

https://appstatesports.com/news/2023/8/ ... edule.aspx

Our fans treatment of visiting team fans

McLeansvilleAppFan
School: Appalachian State

Our fans treatment of visiting team fans

Unread post by McLeansvilleAppFan » Sun Sep 09, 2012 12:32 am

I posted a response to the Youtube video some Griz fans made that is discussed in another thread. I then got a response back.

I thought this worth cutting and pasting. Other teams give us a hard time over our fans. But we seem to have impressed these Montana fans.

"........we rented a cabin down 421 and you are right its a beautiful state and not one person has been rude to us, not one bad comment, PURE class.  Thanks for the note and here is to a great game."
This is my very generic signature added to each post.

App74

Re: Our fans treatment of visiting team fans

Unread post by App74 » Sun Sep 09, 2012 6:41 am

It works both ways. We had several Montana fans at and around our tailgate. It was a pleasure to have them. First class people.

WVAPPeer
School: Other

Unread post by WVAPPeer » Sun Sep 09, 2012 7:56 am

I know I spoke to every Griz fan I had a chance to - thanked them for coming, wished them well and asked if they had enjoyed their visit - 100% had good things to say about their experience
"Montani Semper Liberi"

The Dude Abides!!!

JohnnyBurrito

Unread post by JohnnyBurrito » Sun Sep 09, 2012 8:28 am

What frat is in the white house by Hardees? Anyway, I heard the idiots yelling at Montana fans to get back across the Mississippi...that really pissed me off. Other than that I heard good exchanges b/t fans which made me feel good.

AppinVA

Unread post by AppinVA » Sun Sep 09, 2012 8:50 am

JohnnyBurrito wrote:What frat is in the white house by Hardees? Anyway, I heard the idiots yelling at Montana fans to get back across the Mississippi...that really pissed me off. Other than that I heard good exchanges b/t fans which made me feel good.
You saw it and I didn't, but as long as it didn't get any worse -- and no four letter words were used -- That sounds pretty tame. If this were next year and it was yelled at me from a frat house in Missoula, I'd get a chuckle.
"Some people call me hillbilly. Some people call me mountain man. You can call me Appalachian. Appalachian's what I am."-- Del McCoury Band

appgrad98

Unread post by appgrad98 » Sun Sep 09, 2012 10:31 am

My biggest problem with our fans, is the group of students that don't pay any attention to the game, but do nothing but yell obscenities to the opposing fans. A large group of students in the end zone seating started chanting f%$k Montana and flipping them the bird. Very classless and it doesn't represent the majority of the fans. It went on for a while, and when a Montana fand responded with his on finger salute, they started in on him, to the point that some students went to the Montana section and was asked to leave by security. I don't know how this could be addressed, but it was a large number of students to the left of the band that was involved.

philponder

Unread post by philponder » Sun Sep 09, 2012 12:51 pm

I guess there will always be some drunk punks in every crowd. They are best ignored.

CKSASU

Unread post by CKSASU » Sun Sep 09, 2012 1:09 pm

I did the same, trying to talk to every Montana fan I came across. One was a little short, but other than that I had great interactions. I was told that we were excellent hosts and were first class all the way. I am very proud of the App Nation!

AppinVA

Unread post by AppinVA » Sun Sep 09, 2012 1:56 pm

appgrad98 wrote:My biggest problem with our fans, is the group of students that don't pay any attention to the game, but do nothing but yell obscenities to the opposing fans. A large group of students in the end zone seating started chanting f%$k Montana and flipping them the bird. Very classless and it doesn't represent the majority of the fans. It went on for a while, and when a Montana fand responded with his on finger salute, they started in on him, to the point that some students went to the Montana section and was asked to leave by security. I don't know how this could be addressed, but it was a large number of students to the left of the band that was involved.

Now, that's over the line. No excuse for that.

That said, I do think we have to make a distinction between students and alumni when it comes to behavior. If a student says "eff ASU" to me that's one thing. They're kids. I won't hold it against the other fanbase. If, on the other hand, an adult says it, that is different in my eyes.
"Some people call me hillbilly. Some people call me mountain man. You can call me Appalachian. Appalachian's what I am."-- Del McCoury Band

MountainMan

Unread post by MountainMan » Sun Sep 09, 2012 4:24 pm

Saw a group of (what I assume were) students in the Raley lot give the finger to and cuss at a small group of Montana fans walking by before the game. I know there are always going to be a few, but it's still disappointing to see.

McLeansvilleAppFan

Unread post by McLeansvilleAppFan » Sun Sep 09, 2012 5:06 pm

MountainMan wrote:Saw a group of (what I assume were) students in the Raley lot give the finger to and cuss at a small group of Montana fans walking by before the game. I know there are always going to be a few, but it's still disappointing to see.
As far as the frat houses are concerned, one could contact the Greek councils and let them know that some of the Greek orgs are putting App in a less than stellar light. I doubt there is much that can be done as I bet alcohol is involved at some level, and the offenders will not listen to an outside voice. But it might be worth a quick email. Especially from am alum that was in a frat and maybe that particular frat.

I think ASU admins are doing what they can with the CLASS program. Those that want to hear, will hear, and those that are a bit immature will be immature about dealing with the other team's fans.

GoApps70

Unread post by GoApps70 » Sun Sep 09, 2012 5:14 pm

No excuse. Students represent the university. Not everyone gets in. Wouldn't put up with athletes doing something like that, and students shouldn't either.
I know a lot of you will think this is old school and totally out of touch, but these students should be placed on notice by the student council for their actions.
==========================================================================
Give 'em Hell Apps !.....Sun Belt future champs !........Enlarge Kidd Brewer ASAP!
==========================================================================

Bronco
School: Montana

Unread post by Bronco » Sun Sep 09, 2012 5:45 pm

-
I had two buddies at the game. Talking to them on Friday they said the fans were great and they were having a lot of fun.
I'm looking forward to hearing about the rest of their trip when they return

I think students will be students especially with a little liquid courage and I don't hold them as accountable like I do adults.

We are used to Montana State fans so what you described is mild
-

http://www.whirligig-tv.co.uk/tv/childr ... bronco.wav" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

McLeansvilleAppFan

Unread post by McLeansvilleAppFan » Sun Sep 09, 2012 6:02 pm

I would not have a problem with that (trying to enforce some level of behavior on the students), but I doubt the Admin wants to push that hard on the issue. I imagine the Admin would prefer the students act better, but they are also not going to push too hard back on the students. I never went to games after or while drinking, so I don't mind getting on a high horse a bit and say the students should be held accountable and banned from events. I was able to control myself while a student, so I know it can be done. However, I wonder how a court would rule on that. To forces student fees to pay coach salaries and student scholly's but being banned from attending an event over what is a judgement call on decent behavior. And it really is a judgement call. That would be hard to enforce with either students allowed unless they are violent, and swearing and taunting is not physically violent or the students can opt-out of the fees if they are banned, and that would be very hurtful to athletics I would think. I think most students enjoy at least the football given the numbers that turn out for part of the game, but I bet there are also many that if given the chance would say no to the fees that cover athletics, even if meant no free admission. I could see some students being a jerk, asking to be banned just to keep from paying the athletic fees. To some extent, between a rock and a hard place on how to handle this in a way that is most effective. I think they should try and enforce the no-alcohol policy. I think that is the root of much of the boorish behavior. Way too much liquor in the stadium, and too many already drunk getting into the stadium.

Just thinking out loud a bit.

ASU8

Unread post by ASU8 » Sun Sep 09, 2012 9:25 pm

As for the students giving Montana fans the finger, there were plenty of 40 plus aged fans doing the same! My section was a drunk fest with adults acting like they r still in college! GRow up!

AppState89

Unread post by AppState89 » Sun Sep 09, 2012 9:52 pm

JohnnyBurrito wrote:What frat is in the white house by Hardees? Anyway, I heard the idiots yelling at Montana fans to get back across the Mississippi...that really pissed me off. Other than that I heard good exchanges b/t fans which made me feel good.
Things will never change...That's why I was a GDI!!! Go Apps..
AppState89 AKA Robert Martin :D :D

schield
School: Montana

Unread post by schield » Mon Sep 10, 2012 9:53 am

First off, congrats on the win. Another classic game between two great schools.

I thought long and hard about attending the game. I live near Morgantown, WV and opposing fans are treated fairly harshly by students and non-students...obviously no correlation other than both schools be called Mountaineers. After reading many posts on Egriz from ASU fans I decided to attend.

Overall experience: Wow all I can say is wow. Can't count how many times during our stay we were stopped during our trip and asked: "Is everybody treating you good...we hope you are enjoying your trip...thanks for coming...can we do anything for you?" Our vehicle was decked with Griz stickers and ASU fans would honk, waive and give us a thumbs up when we were travelling into Boone. Game day experience was no different, random ASU fans coming up thanking us, wishing us good luck, etc... Not one time did I feel insulted, threaten, etc...which I can't say being a local attending WVU football games (granted it is improving). The experience was wonderful. You have a beautiful stadium and wonderful game day atmosphere.

Sure there are idiots in every fan base. Alcohol tends to fuel that craziness. As far as my wife and I are concerned (and from what I hear, most Griz fans) it was a class act in Boone. Every fan from every team could take a lesson from the experience you offer in Boone. I hope your experience is no different when you come to Missoula.

Thanks, good luck on the season and we will se ya'll in Missoula!

hapapp

Unread post by hapapp » Mon Sep 10, 2012 10:36 am

I didn't make either trip to Missoula, but the reports from those who did visit indicated that ASU fans were treated very hospitably by their Griz hosts. I can't recall the number of posts that spoke so highly of the Montana faithful. I truly believe after hearing of the treatment that our fans received on their trips to Montana, ASU fans wanted the chance to reciprocate in kind. It is nice to know that displays of good sportsmanship and camaraderie can still exist in this day and age among football fans.

Gonzo

Unread post by Gonzo » Mon Sep 10, 2012 11:42 am

appgrad98 wrote:My biggest problem with our fans, is the group of students that don't pay any attention to the game, but do nothing but yell obscenities to the opposing fans. A large group of students in the end zone seating started chanting f%$k Montana and flipping them the bird. Very classless and it doesn't represent the majority of the fans. It went on for a while, and when a Montana fand responded with his on finger salute, they started in on him, to the point that some students went to the Montana section and was asked to leave by security. I don't know how this could be addressed, but it was a large number of students to the left of the band that was involved.
That group is 100% frat guys and are not representative of the student body. They behave like that to pretty much everyone, everyday.

ASUMountaineer

Unread post by ASUMountaineer » Mon Sep 10, 2012 11:49 am

Gonzo wrote:
That group is 100% frat guys and are not representative of the student body. They behave like that to pretty much everyone, everyday.
Just to be clear, that 100% of frat guys =/= 100% of all frat guys.
Poster formerly known as AppState03 (MMB) and currently known as ASUMountaineer everywhere else.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Appalachian Football”