Here is the link to the fall sports streaming schedule.

https://appstatesports.com/news/2023/8/ ... edule.aspx

Take Heed: From the SunbeltBBS

asu66
School: Appalachian State

Take Heed: From the SunbeltBBS

Unread post by asu66 » Mon Jan 27, 2014 5:43 pm

RE: OT: Friendly Reminder
(Today 04:14 PM)Ole Sleepy Wrote:
(Today 04:11 PM)chiefsfan Wrote:
Just a friendly reminder to all that it is a violation of NCAA rules to make contact with a recruit via Social Media. Yes, I know everyone does it, but the NCAA will eventually make an example of someone, and that school will not be in a P5 conference.

ASU just sent out several Warnings to boosters for making this unfortunate mistake.

Thanks for the heads up. Every one of our schools is guilty of it (as is the rest of FBS). Don't be the idiot that costs your school and your team.

Funny thing is almost all of this is related to the recruitment of Matthew Eaton, who Ark State and App State fans have both been going after on Twitter. The fact is that the NCAA is going to eventually jump on someone for this when they go a step too far, and I'd much rather that school be in CUSA than the Sun Belt.
If it happens to the Apps, it happens to me!

Gonzo

Re: Take Heed: From the SunbeltBBS

Unread post by Gonzo » Mon Jan 27, 2014 6:10 pm

What if I haven't given a cent to App since I graduated? ;)

ASUMountaineer

Unread post by ASUMountaineer » Mon Jan 27, 2014 6:56 pm

It's probably good policy to avoid interacting with high school students on Twitter...just saying.
Poster formerly known as AppState03 (MMB) and currently known as ASUMountaineer everywhere else.

Gonzo

Unread post by Gonzo » Mon Jan 27, 2014 7:00 pm

ASUMountaineer wrote:It's probably good policy to avoid interacting with high school students on Twitter...just saying.

GoApps70

Unread post by GoApps70 » Mon Jan 27, 2014 7:24 pm

Even true would have to question the friendly reminder coming the first Monday after a certain WR visited stAte this past weekend. Especially with them and App being the only contenders mentioned.
==========================================================================
Give 'em Hell Apps !.....Sun Belt future champs !........Enlarge Kidd Brewer ASAP!
==========================================================================

AppState89

Unread post by AppState89 » Tue Jan 28, 2014 5:45 pm

Gonzo...I would think if you grad from App State it would be a violation, but if you have nothing to do with App State, the NCAA can't do crap...
AppState89 AKA Robert Martin :D :D

ASU85Grad

Unread post by ASU85Grad » Tue Jan 28, 2014 7:27 pm

I do not use twitter, but what is to keep someone from signing up and saying they support a rival school, then starting to tweet all kinds of things that could possible get that school in trouble? I know the authorities could track several people, but what if hundreds of people do it? Just say that you support XYZ school and if you come to play for us, we will put $$$ in your pocket?

What is there to stop them?

firemoose

Unread post by firemoose » Tue Jan 28, 2014 9:56 pm

It's really going to take a lot to keep the NCAA from setting themselves up for a suit if they try anything at this time. Right now, with the rules directly concerning twitter and, to a lesser extent, Facebook, being vague at best, they would really have to issue a general release that addresses social media directly and have each school send it out to their boosters and alumni. And it would also have to include the high schools and coaches to tell their players to stop asking for followers from the colleges they are looking at. If they were to crack down on a school or several schools concerning one player they would open themselves up to legal action because everyone is doing it and it can be proven.

It will be a couple of years and several general warnings, not to mention hiring a whole new group of people, in order to monitor and crack down on the contact. And as ASU85Grad just pointed out, twitter is especially well suited for abuse. A lot of work will be required just to figure that part out. Social media, especially twitter, has exploded this year when it comes to contact with recruits. It's going to take a little time to get things under control and narrow it down enough where a charge can stick. In the mean time it's best for people to start backing off contact and to watch for people making contact in App's name. Report them to twitter and let them handle it but keep records of the tweets, just in case. Good thing that this recruiting season is almost done with but the 2015 season is already starting. Everyone just needs to be careful and we'll see what direction the NCAA takes with this mess.

scatman77

Unread post by scatman77 » Tue Jan 28, 2014 11:20 pm

Per Barbara Greene with whom I spoke last spring after 3 of my York boys signed: do NOT use social media to maintain or establish contact with players. The are considered "prospective athletes" even after they sign their LOI. I was told that email was OK as long there was a "prior relationship" that had been established over the years prior to the recruitment process.

It's sad that young men I've known for over 5-6 years are now pretty much off-limits to me until they graduate.
We don't slide at Appalachian State. It's a sign of weakness.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Appalachian Football”