Here is the link to the fall sports streaming schedule.

https://appstatesports.com/news/2023/8/ ... edule.aspx

New SBC Bowl

BurlingtonApp
School: Appalachian State

New SBC Bowl

Unread post by BurlingtonApp » Mon Apr 14, 2014 4:03 pm

The Sun Belt is expected to get it's fourth bowl tie, with this one in Orlando against an AAC team. Not thrilling, but could be a fun bowl opportunity against a bigger name team. How fun could App-ECU be down there?

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/sports/c ... 5138.story

Kgfish

Re: New SBC Bowl

Unread post by Kgfish » Mon Apr 14, 2014 5:03 pm

BurlingtonApp wrote:The Sun Belt is expected to get it's fourth bowl tie, with this one in Orlando against an AAC team. Not thrilling, but could be a fun bowl opportunity against a bigger name team. How fun could App-ECU be down there?

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/sports/c ... 5138.story
Not thrilling?
No Generation Has The Right To Contract Debts Greater Than Can Be Paid Off During It's Own Existence.

George Washington

Gonzo

Unread post by Gonzo » Mon Apr 14, 2014 5:05 pm

Very thrilling. More thrilling than the other SBC bowls.

And more thrilling still that this isn't against a CUSA or MAC school.

EastHallApp

Unread post by EastHallApp » Mon Apr 14, 2014 6:28 pm

Yeah, Orlando is a solid destination, and the AAC has to be the best opponent of any Sun Belt tie-in.

Hope the date doesn't wind up being too early in December, but all in all, that's great news.

BurlingtonApp

Unread post by BurlingtonApp » Mon Apr 14, 2014 7:18 pm

Let me clarify that, I am very happy with this bowl. It's much better than any other bowl tie in already there. I just figured that if I call this bowl thrilling, what will I call the even better, eventual bowl tie-ins we get?

asutrnr81

Unread post by asutrnr81 » Mon Apr 14, 2014 8:04 pm

Any Bowl in Orlando will be a THRILLING Bowl.

From a historical basis, will our first SB bowl be our first "bowl game" as a school?...in the sense that we understand bowl games?
Go APPS!

goapps93

Unread post by goapps93 » Tue Apr 15, 2014 9:03 am

EastHallApp wrote:Yeah, Orlando is a solid destination, and the AAC has to be the best opponent of any Sun Belt tie-in.

Hope the date doesn't wind up being too early in December, but all in all, that's great news.
It will most likely be a Christmas or pre-Christmas Bowl since the article says it will be played before the Russell Athletic Bowl. Last year's RA Bowl was Dec. 28. Works out good for me since I'm in Orlando every other Christmas visiting the in-laws anyway. Would be really nice to get to see the Apps play during that trip a few times.
WE ARE YOSEF!

EastHallApp

Unread post by EastHallApp » Tue Apr 15, 2014 9:39 am

goapps93 wrote:
EastHallApp wrote:Yeah, Orlando is a solid destination, and the AAC has to be the best opponent of any Sun Belt tie-in.

It will most likely be a Christmas or pre-Christmas Bowl since the article says it will be played before the Russell Athletic Bowl. Last year's RA Bowl was Dec. 28. Works out good for me since I'm in Orlando every other Christmas visiting the in-laws anyway. Would be really nice to get to see the Apps play during that trip a few times.
Yeah, that's what I was thinking, but I wasn't exactly sure when the Russell Bowl was played.

Anything around, say, Dec. 21-23 would be pretty good because it would be reasonably easy for a lot of people to just tack on a couple vacation days from work to their holiday break, plus kids would likely be done with school. Hopefully App students would be done with finals too; not sure when those wrap up.

Much earlier than that and it starts to become kind of an inconvenient time for a trip.

ASUPATCH

Unread post by ASUPATCH » Tue Apr 15, 2014 9:46 am

Anyone with young kids like myself will love this. See App and take the youngins to Disney. Dad ,Mom and kids would all be happy.
Appalachian State, Better than your school since 1899!!!!

firemoose

Unread post by firemoose » Tue Apr 15, 2014 9:54 am

ASUPATCH wrote:Anyone with young kids like myself will love this. See App and take the youngins to Disney. Dad ,Mom and kids would all be happy.
:lol: Your wallet might not be too happy with you at the end of the trip but it would be a great time no doubt.

SpeedkingATL

Unread post by SpeedkingATL » Tue Apr 15, 2014 10:03 am

Sounds like it would be a fun trip against a good opponent. Nice golf in the area too for those not inclined to see Mickey.

HeffnerIV

Unread post by HeffnerIV » Tue Apr 15, 2014 10:21 am

So we're talking about New Orleans, Mobile and Orlando as bowl destinations? Not too bad and beats Detroit, Boise, etc. Is the Bermuda bowl still in the works, or a done deal for the Sunbelt?

Edit: Just looked it up and it appears that the Mac and AAC got the tie-ins on the BAHAMAS Bowl (not Bermuda)
Last edited by HeffnerIV on Tue Apr 15, 2014 10:24 am, edited 1 time in total.

ASUPATCH

Unread post by ASUPATCH » Tue Apr 15, 2014 10:23 am

firemoose wrote:
ASUPATCH wrote:Anyone with young kids like myself will love this. See App and take the youngins to Disney. Dad ,Mom and kids would all be happy.
:lol: Your wallet might not be too happy with you at the end of the trip but it would be a great time no doubt.
I used to live in central Florida and played football for the Orlando Rage. I've still got some connections down there for tickets. ;)

EastHallApp

Unread post by EastHallApp » Tue Apr 15, 2014 10:56 am

HeffnerIV wrote:So we're talking about New Orleans, Mobile and Orlando as bowl destinations? Not too bad and beats Detroit, Boise, etc. Is the Bermuda bowl still in the works, or a done deal for the Sunbelt?

Edit: Just looked it up and it appears that the Mac and AAC got the tie-ins on the BAHAMAS Bowl (not Bermuda)
I believe the Sun Belt has a sort of rotating tie-in with the Bahamas Bowl - won't be there the first couple years, but eventually they will be:
http://www.cbssports.com/collegefootbal ... hamas-bowl

ASUPATCH

Unread post by ASUPATCH » Tue Apr 15, 2014 12:41 pm

EastHallApp wrote:
HeffnerIV wrote:So we're talking about New Orleans, Mobile and Orlando as bowl destinations? Not too bad and beats Detroit, Boise, etc. Is the Bermuda bowl still in the works, or a done deal for the Sunbelt?

I believe the Sun Belt has a sort of rotating tie-in with the Bahamas Bowl - won't be there the first couple years, but eventually they will be:
First SBC rip to the Bahamas would be 2017 I believe. Rotate with AAC and USA there every 3 years against the MAC.

firemoose

Unread post by firemoose » Tue Apr 15, 2014 12:42 pm

ASUPATCH wrote:
firemoose wrote:
I used to live in central Florida and played football for the Orlando Rage. I've still got some connections down there for tickets. ;)
Yeah. I've got connections from all my years down there too. Makes a huge difference when it comes to going to any of the Disney parks.

HeffnerIV

Unread post by HeffnerIV » Tue Apr 15, 2014 1:08 pm

EastHallApp wrote:

Thanks. Is this counted as one of the four bowls?

EastHallApp

Unread post by EastHallApp » Tue Apr 15, 2014 1:34 pm

HeffnerIV wrote:
EastHallApp wrote:

Let's see, I believe the tie-ins include:

Annual

1. New Orleans - vs. CUSA
2. GoDaddy (Mobile) - vs. MAC
3. Camellia (Montgomery) - vs. MAC
4. Cure Bowl (Orlando) - vs. AAC (beginning 2015)

Rotating

Miami Beach Bowl - vs. AAC
Bahamas Bowl - vs. MAC

HeffnerIV

Unread post by HeffnerIV » Tue Apr 15, 2014 4:36 pm

EastHallApp wrote:
HeffnerIV wrote:
EastHallApp wrote:

Let's see, I believe the tie-ins include:

Annual

1. New Orleans - vs. CUSA
2. GoDaddy (Mobile) - vs. MAC
3. Camellia (Montgomery) - vs. MAC
4. Cure Bowl (Orlando) - vs. AAC (beginning 2015)

Rotating

Miami Beach Bowl - vs. AAC
Bahamas Bowl - vs. MAC
Thanks. Once all is equal with the tv money (couple years), actual football performance will be the consideration for which conference separates themselves. The Sunbelt is in good shape there.

App91

Unread post by App91 » Tue Apr 15, 2014 6:20 pm

SpeedkingATL wrote:Sounds like it would be a fun trip against a good opponent. Nice golf in the area too for those not inclined to see Mickey.
Not to mention would be very helpful to our recruiting of FL!

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Appalachian Football”