School: Appalachian State

Re: Southern Miss Game

Unread post by BUTCH1991 » Fri May 30, 2014 1:29 pm

That would suck.

Rekdiver

Unread post by Rekdiver » Fri May 30, 2014 2:31 pm

Why don't we drop Southern Miss and take on Alabama?

App91

Unread post by App91 » Fri May 30, 2014 3:50 pm

No thanks, I would rather have the home game.

EastHallApp

Unread post by EastHallApp » Fri May 30, 2014 7:35 pm

I notice UNCC still has an opening. But but, I thought they couldn't play us before 2018 because their schedule is all booked up?

It would be disappointing to lose the USM game, as IMO they are the most notable home game we've scheduled so far. However, if we could get a decent buyout from them and still get a home game with one of the other teams that has an opening, it could be a good deal.

I'd be glad to sign a home and home with FAU, FIU, La. Tech... Actually I'd like a series with pretty much anyone on that list other than the MAC teams.

AppSt94

Unread post by AppSt94 » Fri May 30, 2014 9:37 pm

If I was CC, I would ask for a $1 milllion game at Alabama along with the buyout. If we are going into Alabama to recruit, visisbility will be helpful. Let's see how hard up they are to make a date.

JTApps1

Unread post by JTApps1 » Sat May 31, 2014 9:57 am

I would hate to lose that USM game. Ive been looking forward to that home game more than any of those we have announced so far. Plus there aren't a lot of options left to fill that space. Just as long as we don't replace them with a second FCS game.
When will "It's better than what we had" no longer be good enough for App State?

T-Dog

Unread post by T-Dog » Sat May 31, 2014 4:07 pm

FBS teams that could travel to Boone in 2015 and still have 6 home games.

Houston, SMU, Tulane, Georgia Tech, Chapel Hill, Syracuse, Penn State, Charlotte, Buffalo, New Mexico, Stanford,

Niner National
School: Charlotte

Unread post by Niner National » Sat May 31, 2014 5:43 pm

T-Dog wrote:FBS teams that could travel to Boone in 2015 and still have 6 home games.

Houston, SMU, Tulane, Georgia Tech, Chapel Hill, Syracuse, Penn State, Charlotte, Buffalo, New Mexico, Stanford,
We (Charlotte) are not FBS this year.

EastHallApp

Unread post by EastHallApp » Sat May 31, 2014 5:57 pm

Niner National wrote:
T-Dog wrote:FBS teams that could travel to Boone in 2015 and still have 6 home games.

But you will be in 2015, correct?

EastHallApp

Unread post by EastHallApp » Sat May 31, 2014 6:05 pm

Strike the P5 teams because those aren't happening.

Not sure Houston, SMU or Tulane would come, though any of those would be very appealing if we could pull it off.

Buffalo or New Mexico would be a big step down from USM in terms of name appeal and the fact that neither are in our recruiting footprint.

That leaves Charlotte, which would make all the sense in the world if it came to that, but we know they don't want to play us yet.

To me, if App could replace USM with any of the AAC teams or Charlotte, then taking a buyout probably makes sense. Otherwise, we're probably looking at either an unappealing FBS team or a second FCS opponent, neither of which is a good scenario.

Niner National
School: Charlotte

Unread post by Niner National » Sat May 31, 2014 7:55 pm

EastHallApp wrote:
Niner National wrote:

But you will be in 2015, correct?
Correct. We are 1 season behind you guys in the transition to FBS. We'll be FBS transitional next year and ineligible for the conference championship or bowl games (not that it'll matter anyway).

TheMoody1

Unread post by TheMoody1 » Sat May 31, 2014 8:25 pm

EastHallApp wrote:To me, if App could replace USM with any of the AAC teams, then taking a buyout probably makes sense. Otherwise, we're probably looking at either an unappealing FBS team (Charlotte) or a second FCS opponent, neither of which is a good scenario.

Fixed it. :lol:

EastHallApp

Unread post by EastHallApp » Sat May 31, 2014 9:35 pm

TheMoody1 wrote:
EastHallApp wrote:To me, if App could replace USM with any of the AAC teams, then taking a buyout probably makes sense. Otherwise, we're probably looking at either an unappealing FBS team (Charlotte) or a second FCS opponent, neither of which is a good scenario.

Fixed it. :lol:

I know some people feel that way. Personally I wish the UNCC series were starting in 2015 anyway.

Even if you see no other appeal in playing them, at this point they'd be a near-certain FBS win, which would help us get bowl-eligible, which IMO is objective #1 for 2015.

appst89
Site Admin

Unread post by appst89 » Sun Jun 01, 2014 7:24 am

Say hello to a second FCS opponent.

Saint3333

Unread post by Saint3333 » Sun Jun 01, 2014 8:38 am

This is all speculation at this point. But if it does happen would you rather have 5 home games and schedule a solid home and away series with an attractive FBS school or a second FCS home game?

appst89
Site Admin

Unread post by appst89 » Sun Jun 01, 2014 9:03 am

Saint3333 wrote:This is all speculation at this point. But if it does happen would you rather have 5 home games and schedule a solid home and away series with an attractive FBS school or a second FCS home game?
I think the athletic admin will opt for the FCS game. Home games with home gates are more important than home-and-home series, which pay nothing.

AppDawg

Unread post by AppDawg » Sun Jun 01, 2014 9:25 am

Saint3333 wrote:This is all speculation at this point. But if it does happen would you rather have 5 home games and schedule a solid home and away series with an attractive FBS school or a second FCS home game?
If it comes to pass and we cannot get another FBS (NOT clt) to fill in for So Miss, my vote is for 5 home games and schedule a solid home/away FBS - take the opportunity to set-up future years schedules. 1 FCS per year is enough. I don't want to be "bowl eligible" by loading up on weak opponents. We need to have the mindset of "anyone, anywhere, anytime".

App91

Unread post by App91 » Sun Jun 01, 2014 9:39 am

AppDawg wrote:
If it comes to pass and we cannot get another FBS (NOT clt) to fill in for So Miss, my vote is for 5 home games and schedule a solid home/away FBS - take the opportunity to set-up future years schedules. 1 FCS per year is enough. I don't want to be "bowl eligible" by loading up on weak opponents. We need to have the mindset of "anyone, anywhere, anytime".
Sorry, but this is really an easy answer and it comes down to dollars. We simply must have that 6th home game to balance the athletic budget. The only other option is another large guarantee game in its place. We cannot sign a home and home with anyone with this date being the away game. Like it or not, that is cold hard reality.

EastHallApp

Unread post by EastHallApp » Sun Jun 01, 2014 10:31 am

AppDawg wrote:

In fact we won't get bowl eligible that way - you can only count one FCS win per season, so in effect we'd have one fewer game in which to get bowl eligible.

That said, I agree there's no way we'd have fewer than six home games. But adding a second FCS would be disastrous IMO. I don't think it will come to that, though. For one thing, I don't think App accepts a buyout from USM without knowing we can find an FBS replacement.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Appalachian Football”