Here is the link to the fall sports streaming schedule.

https://appstatesports.com/news/2023/8/ ... edule.aspx

TO Defense

moonshine
School: Appalachian State

TO Defense

Unread post by moonshine » Thu Sep 13, 2012 3:12 pm

Thinking back to last year, the first year of the 3-4, I felt the new scheme was not nearly as successful as the 4-3 was against the TO. Wofford ran it down the 3-4 defense's throat. It seems Coach Jones switched it up a bit against el Cid, going 3-4 and 4-3 and the D gave up 42 points. That was the highest point total this team gave up against any FCS competition. Against GSU, the defense reverted back to the 4-3 and completely shut down the option attack.

With all that said, I'm hoping the coaches learned something from last year's experiment and go with what works...the 4-3! Does Duece drop down giving the DE's a rotation of Blair, Robinson, Scott and Harris? Who replaces Duece at the OLB/Bandit position? Since el Cid doesn't throw the ball much, do the coaches sit Lott? Who takes his spot at LCB? Ross?

Hopefully the young DL can play disciplined and fill their gaps to allow the LB's to come up and make the plays. I felt Blair and Robinson steadily got better against the TO as the season wore on. Defense, please wrap up and make the initial tackle and force the TO into 3rd and longs.
Picked up via free agency by the High Country All-Stars

biggie
Site Admin

Re: TO Defense

Unread post by biggie » Thu Sep 13, 2012 3:44 pm

For the most part we seem to run a 4-3 against a TO team, at least that's what it resembles at the time of the snap.

Wofford last year being without JK was a pretty big issue.

skjellyfetti

Unread post by skjellyfetti » Thu Sep 13, 2012 6:45 pm

Yeah, I'm not too concerned. Missing Kimbrough against Wofford was huge. And, we did well against Citadel for about 3 quarters until they had that punt return and got a lot of momentum and kept our D on the field for too long. And, of course, we couldn't have done much better against Georgia Southern.

Our defense should be a strength this year and we have a lot of experienced seniors. My big concern with defending the triple option will be the guys without as much experience - Davante Harris, Stephen Burns, Joel Ross, Jamill Lott. How those guys do will be key, imo.

asumike83

Unread post by asumike83 » Fri Sep 14, 2012 7:44 am

My understanding is that we will play a 4-3 base against the TO teams, remove the star position and bring in another linebacker. Several options to choose from in terms of personnel but I like the idea.

StorminASU

Unread post by StorminASU » Fri Sep 14, 2012 8:05 am

Slightly off topic, but does anyone feel like Blaylock is a little unprepared to be a starter? I know he had an interception against Montana, but it seems like he plays out of position sometimes, giving up big plays as a result. It also seems like his lines were poor after watching some Montana footage again. Anyone have thoughts?

moonshine

Unread post by moonshine » Fri Sep 14, 2012 8:32 am

asumike83 wrote:My understanding is that we will play a 4-3 base against the TO teams, remove the star position and bring in another linebacker. Several options to choose from in terms of personnel but I like the idea.
So who would you expect to fill in at LB if Jones drops Robinson down to the even front? Who started for JK against Wofford last year...McGowan?

Who starts opposite McCray...Krah or Ross?
Picked up via free agency by the High Country All-Stars

appfury

Unread post by appfury » Fri Sep 14, 2012 8:34 am

StorminASU wrote:Slightly off topic, but does anyone feel like Blaylock is a little unprepared to be a starter? I know he had an interception against Montana, but it seems like he plays out of position sometimes, giving up big plays as a result. It also seems like his lines were poor after watching some Montana footage again. Anyone have thoughts?
I agree with you, I think our loss of depth has contributed to his increase in playing time, I think the original plan was for Jamil Lott to be that guy, but he may be the new CB. I like Blalock, but he looks a step slow to me on the field.

ASUMountaineer

Unread post by ASUMountaineer » Fri Sep 14, 2012 8:47 am

biggie wrote:For the most part we seem to run a 4-3 against a TO team, at least that's what it resembles at the time of the snap.

Wofford last year being without JK was a pretty big issue.
I believe we ran a 4-3 at WoCo last season. We seem to switch back and forth between a 3-4 and a 4-3.
Poster formerly known as AppState03 (MMB) and currently known as ASUMountaineer everywhere else.

boonedocks

Unread post by boonedocks » Fri Sep 14, 2012 9:11 am

StorminASU wrote:Slightly off topic, but does anyone feel like Blaylock is a little unprepared to be a starter? I know he had an interception against Montana, but it seems like he plays out of position sometimes, giving up big plays as a result. It also seems like his lines were poor after watching some Montana footage again. Anyone have thoughts?

I agree, I thought he had a bad game against ECU. From the stands it looked a little better against Montana, but I haven't re-watched it. I think he is ok against the run. He tackles pretty well when in position, so against the TO I hope his value increases.

Outside of the TO i think he is a liablility and shows how much losing Blackmon and Middleton hurts in the secondary. If they were playing at their projected spots, our secondary would have been scary good.

asumike83

Unread post by asumike83 » Fri Sep 14, 2012 9:57 am

moonshine wrote:So who would you expect to fill in at LB if Jones drops Robinson down to the even front? Who started for JK against Wofford last year...McGowan?

Who starts opposite McCray...Krah or Ross?
It was McGowan who got the start for Kimbrough last season. My guess is that it will either be McGowan, Greg Hall or John Law that steps in but I do not have any inside knowledge, just a hunch.

With the removal of the star position, I'd be surprised if it was not Ross who slides over to right corner. He has good cover skills and is solid against the run.

The front 4 will be very interesting as well. It could be Harris, Burns, Blair and Robinson but it could also be Harris, Burns, Bronson and Blair with Deuce staying back at LB.

I am pretty excited to see what Coach Jones comes up with for this one, I think he learned his lesson last year with the 3-4 against triple option teams. He definitely has some talented pieces to work with!

JMappfan5

Unread post by JMappfan5 » Fri Sep 14, 2012 10:17 am

I think we will definitely see the 4-3...at least I hope so. Being so young scares me with this being the first TO team we face. However, rather play El Cit first than Wooford or the Gnats!!! I think Ross may move to CB and Lott will sit out for his final game of suspension. Ross can cover and played the run real well against Montana. I hope we drop Duece down to DE...he was great against Ga So last year. We may see McGowan, Ware, Law or Hall at LB...good to have depth and so many options!!!

eggers76

Unread post by eggers76 » Fri Sep 14, 2012 11:38 am

"I think Ross may move to CB and Lott will sit out for his final game of suspension. Ross can cover and played the run real well against Montana."

Good call on Ross. I thought he played the run extremely well against Montana and pretty good against the pass too.

Longrifle28

Unread post by Longrifle28 » Fri Sep 14, 2012 3:50 pm

Simple. On offense score like your life depended on it with a sense of urgency. On defense destroy the line of scrimmage and get penetration. Penetration either strings the plays out or screws up the running lanes and pitch distances causing turnovers. Triple option teams that are not proficient at passing have trouble coming back from several scores down. Ditching the run takes away the effectiveness of the TO. All easier said than done.

For us this weekend. Eliminate turnovers and penalties. Don't give up big plays. Open up the play book and execute. Don't let off the gas...
"I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy"

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Appalachian Football”